• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analysis: What really happened in Final Fantasy VIII (SPOILERS)

Rahul

squallsdead.png

Ultimecia said:
"Reflect on your... Childhood..."
"Your sensation... Your words... Your emotions..."
"Time... It will not wait..."
"No matter... ...how hard you hold on. It escapes you..."

A discussion started in Bjork's thread about FF8 concerning the convoluted, clichéd, stereotypical storyline of Final Fantasy VIII. As everyone who played it is likely aware of, several events in the game make it hard to take the plot seriously. After all, you essentially play a schoolboy ricocheted from obscurity to commander of a military force, who defeats the ultimate evil across time and space and still saves his high school crush. What's not to ridicule?

duckroll and myself have a different theory and I felt it would be appropriate to create a separate thread to discuss it in depth. Together with my girlfriend, I created a site hosting the analysis:

http://squallsdead.com

endshot8.jpg

Squall's Dead said:
This article discusses the possibility of Final Fantasy VIII's storyline covertly revolving around the death of its main character early on, a theory which - so far - appears to be undiscussed on the internets. We will attempt to explain the basis of the theory, and argue why it may be true. At the end of the article we concede that there is no real "proof", merely suggestions and hints. However, we hope this analysis will add meaning to the game for all players - perhaps refreshing its value over a decade since the game's release - and inspire a discussion as it did between us.

At the end of disc one at Deling City, so the theory goes, Squall is hit with an ice spell by Edea. The rest of the game happens during the few seconds between that event and his death: his fantasy of how his life could have been, all the things he could have accomplished, and his ideas of what the world is really about. The game ends with Squall dying, and part of the ending credits illustrate his ideal "heaven".

As such, Final Fantasy VIII is the story of a "final fantasy"; Ultimecia's Time Kompression is no longer just a trite, randomly introduced plot mechanism but almost self-referential, given that the entire game takes place in a matter of seconds in Squall's mind's eye. All plot twists that were formerly retarded are now purposeful, as the introverted, lonely Squall imagines his life having meaning, his friends really being his family, having a prestigious father, becoming a successful SeeD, going to outer space, beating up the bully who cut his face up and winning his girlfriend's heart - the list continues.

Personally, I've spent several years exploring the realities of this theory, documenting evidence and trying to break it down, and have come to the conclusion that even if it's not what Yoshinori Kitase and Kazushige Nojima intended, there are pieces of evidence in the game that make no sense without this theory. As our analysis states:

Squall's Dead said:
I choose to believe that this is how the game was intended to be understood because, to me, the game makes no sense otherwise. Everything that happens to the characters after the first disc is retarded. The ending is like recapping the game on acid. There has to be something more to the story than a simple ‘Hero Takes All’ plot.

I'm looking for some civil discussion of this theory. Please also spread the link to the analysis around; I think it's a fascinating way to look at the game in a new light and would hope that as many people as possible are able to experience it that way. And playing the game again is the best way to experience it; I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone who's read our article to play Final Fantasy VIII again from the start. Your mind will be blown.

So, have a look at the analysis. What do you think?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well, it honestly sounds like you're looking for a reason to like something that you otherwise wouldn't. If the creators meant for this to be the case then they would have made it more apparent (because we know they have no issues with portraying their main character batshit insane, like they did with Cloud)

The basis for the theory is that when Squall gets hit by those ice cubes, its blatantly obvious that it would kill anybody, right? I'm thinking that maybe the CG department fucked up and Square didnt have enough of a budget to re-do the scene, so they just rolled with it. Its not incomprehensible that the story changed during development and that the CG work was done early, creating a disconnect between game story and CG scenes.

I like the theory because if this was explained at the end of the game it would serve as a great plot twist ... but as it is Squall didnt die, and maybe its a pity.

Ok first off: mindblown.

Second of all, I'm really surprised at how plausible this whole theory actually seems. Granted it's been a number of years since I've played the game, but thinking back about it and hearing all the discussion has made me think that maybe a theory like Squall is dead could actually work. It certainly helps make parts of the game make more sense. The one thing I'm hung up on right now is that everything about the theory works really well, except that Squall appears in the very last part of the ending with Rinoa watching the shooting star. Every other part of the ending works to assume that Squall died in the first part of the ending, but him appearing at the end doesn't fit in with the rest of that. Unless you explain it by saying that's his heaven or something.

I don't really know, I'm trying to take this all in right now and like I said it has been many years since I've last played FF8. Either way, this sort of analysis is really insightful and very much appreciated!

Rahul

Raging Spaniard said:
Well, it honestly sounds like you're looking for a reason to like something that you otherwise wouldn't. If the creators meant for this to be the case then they would have made it more apparent (because we know they have no issues with portraying their main character batshit insane, like they did with Cloud)

The basis for the theory is that when Squall gets hit by those ice cubes, its blatantly obvious that it would kill anybody, right? I'm thinking that maybe the CG department fucked up and Square didnt have enough of a budget to re-do the scene, so they just rolled with it. Its not incomprehensible that the story changed during development and that the CG work was done early, creating a disconnect between game story and CG scenes.

I like the theory because if this was explained at the end of the game it would serve as a great plot twist ... but as it is Squall didnt die, and maybe its a pity.

Possible, but somehow I think your games industry experience is making you cynical ;) Or maybe I'm naive for not having worked in the games industry yet?

Either way, you should read the article before forming a complete opinion one way or the other. Imagine I'm telling you to believe in God (or not, it goes both ways) and are actually interested in my pathetic attempt to sway you! ;)

Rahul

Scythesurge said:
Ok first off: mindblown.

Second of all, I'm really surprised at how plausible this whole theory actually seems. Granted it's been a number of years since I've played the game, but thinking back about it and hearing all the discussion has made me think that maybe a theory like Squall is dead could actually work. It certainly helps make parts of the game make more sense. The one thing I'm hung up on right now is that everything about the theory works really well, except that Squall appears in the very last part of the ending with Rinoa watching the shooting star. Every other part of the ending works to assume that Squall died in the first part of the ending, but him appearing at the end doesn't fit in with the rest of that. Unless you explain it by saying that's his heaven or something.

I don't really know, I'm trying to take this all in right now and like I said it has been many years since I've last played FF8. Either way, this sort of analysis is really insightful and very much appreciated!

The part at the end where he appears with her is still in his heaven, just like the parts before that. Everything that happens after "faceless Squall" is after he's dead. For one thing, that scene isn't possible because Garden isn't a floating UFO, that's just what Squall decided would be awesome. ;) And Edea and Cid both appear at the party, which is also an idea he came up with, as noted in the analysis.

As I said in the other thread, I'm going to replay the game with this theory in mind. However, I feel like if it does change my view of the game, it won't be for the better. Whether it makes more sense than the actual game or not, I'd rather not believe that something with a happy end like this would have such a bleak reality.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Obviously, it's an interesting theory, and i always thought his injury from the ice spikes were certain death. That said, Laguna's involvement pretty much throws it away.

To put it basically, FF8's premise is born out of something interesting to tell, but the story is born of a need to have a device that allows the player to go through the most diverse array of scenarios and fight against the bigger number of different enemies possible.

It becomes a story born to support design. Which has been FFs thing, and from the reviews, FFXIII seems to represent the same.

Rahul said:
The part at the end where he appears with her is still in his heaven, just like the parts before that. Everything that happens after "faceless Squall" is after he's dead. For one thing, that scene isn't possible because Garden isn't a floating UFO, that's just what Squall decided would be awesome. ;) And Edea and Cid both appear at the party, which is also an idea he came up with, as noted in the analysis.
Alright, now that I'm looking back at it, all of that does fit in with the theory. You may have just gained a believer.

Rahul

WrikaWrek said:
Obviously, it's an interesting theory, and i always thought his injury from the ice spikes were certain death. That said, Laguna's involvement pretty much throws it away.

How so?

falastini

I followed some of the discussion in the other thread. The original story for FFVIII is so fucked up, I don't know what to believe. This theory would indeed make the original story much more interesting and intelligible. As it is, the original makes zero sense.

Still though... given Square's track record of story-telling, i can't help think that it's wishful thinking to assume they did this on purpose.

Either way, if I ever replay the game again, I have a new way to look at it.

jett

D-Member
My thoughts are that you can't seriously believe this is even remotely true, right?

edit: rahul eh? rahul from #fret?

Gilgamesh

I agree with Himuro. The idea is amazing and blows my mind, but I sincerely doubt that the writers were consciously capable of it. I'm looking forward to reading through the site.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's an interesting theory, but one that's looking WAY too far into the given material.

I'm more interested in the Rinoa = Ultimecia discussion since that makes a lot more sense.

It's an interesting theory, but I think it gives way too much credit to the writing. Nothing that has come out of Nomura's Final Fantasy has shown that level of competency in its writing. I think all this theory does is give you a way to explain all the nonsense, which is great, but not intended. If it was intended they would have made a mention of it somewhere, either more directly in the game or in some kind of post-mordem.

I don't think Nomura is self-aware enough to get that deep in his stories. If you look at his other games like FFVII or KH, they're built on that same nonsense without the easy explanations.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Rahul said:

Well, that they dream and "sort of" travel in time, pretty much supports the idea that the story is about the witch and not about a dying boy's final fantasy.

The shape of the plot takes a form that doesn't share the same opinion as the theory at hand. At the end of the day it clearly shows what the creators wanted to do, even if by mere accident they happened create enough holes in it to partially support fan theories.

It just means it doesn't work as a whole, is clumsily put together and that the design focused story ends up amounting to nothing in itself.

It's an awesome theory though, if only someone like you could have told them that when they finished writing the story, they would've been able to turn it into a last minute class act.

Eh. Interesting theory, but I still view the original game's ending as it is: After Ultemecia was defeated, Squal and the gang got stuck in the time kompression. Rinoa and Squall were in a black, empty space. As for the others and Seifer, I just think the spell was broken and he became a good person at the end.

Either that or everything was "resetted" to a certain point in the game.

Rahul

jett said:
My thoughts are that you can't seriously believe this is even remotely true, right?

edit: rahul eh? rahul from #fret?

Indeed. 10 years? :)

@Himuro: the time loop is still valid, it's just that it happens in the "actual" story of FF8 rather than the proposed "meta-story".

WrikaWrek said:
Well, that they dream and "sort of" travel in time, pretty much supports the idea that the story is about the witch and not about a dying boy's final fantasy.

The shape of the plot takes a form that doesn't share the same opinion as the theory at hand. At the end of the day it clearly shows what the creators wanted to do, even if by mere accident they happened create enough holes in it to partially support fan theories.

It just means it doesn't work as a whole, is clumsily put together and that the design focused story ends up amounting to nothing in itself.

It's an awesome theory though, if only someone like you could have told them that when they finished writing the story, they would've been able to turn it into a last minute class act.

Well, I choose to believe that the events of Disc 1 are there to set up Squall's imagination for the remainder of the game. Look at Vanilla Sky - why does Tom Cruise's character have all those relationships given the revelation at the end of the movie? Because otherwise there would be nothing for him to base his imagination on. The idea that there are things happening in the world that are impossible for a mere student of what is essentially a high school to grasp, and thereforehe in fact does not grasp them, is interesting enough to me that I buy into that.

Someone seriously needs to bring this up with Nojima. We got any game journalists in here that could ask this next time a versus 13 interview comes up?

Absoludacrous said:
It's an interesting theory, but I think it gives way too much credit to the writing. Nothing that has come out of Nomura's Final Fantasy has shown that level of competency in its writing. I think all this theory does is give you a way to explain all the nonsense, which is great, but not intended. If it was intended they would have made a mention of it somewhere, either more directly in the game or in some kind of post-mordem.

I don't think Nomura is self-aware enough to get that deep in his stories. If you look at his other games like FFVII or KH, they're built on that same nonsense without the easy explanations.

You know Nomura doesn't write the stories, right?

androvsky

It's never a good sign when a story is so messed up that the only way to explain it is that it's all the delirium of the last seconds of someone's life. Yeah, it'd be cool for Square to go from VII's killing off a main character partway through to killing off the player character in the first quarter of the game, but I doubt they did that. And even if they did, that's a terrible way to write a story; it's dangerously close to ending with "And then he woke up and it was all a dream".

MGS4 spoilers... well, do I even need to write anything here? I wonder how many other games/movies/books with busted stories can be explained the same way.

cosmicblizzard said:
Someone seriously needs to bring this up with Nojima. We got any game journalists in here that could ask this next time a versus 13 interview comes up?

You know Nomura doesn't write the stories, right?

Fine, replace Nomura with writers of games Nomura is involved in if it helps you understand my post better.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Rahul said:
Well, I choose to believe that the events of Disc 1 are there to set up Squall's imagination for the remainder of the game. Look at Vanilla Sky - why does Tom Cruise's character have all those relationships given the revelation at the end of the movie? Because otherwise there would be nothing for him to base his imagination on. The idea that there are things happening in the world that are impossible for a mere student of what is essentially a high school to grasp, and thereforehe in fact does not grasp them, is interesting enough to me that I buy into that.

Not telling you to not believe in it. Just saying what it is, and why it is what it is.

But if find enough room in it to theorize what you have, then more power to you really, because you have turned it into something better, and more importantly something that is your own.

In a sense, i envy you for coming away from the game with what you have. But i love the game anyway.

Absoludacrous said:
Fine, replace Nomura with writers of games Nomura is involved in if it helps you understand my post better.

Just because you don't like his stories doesn't mean Nojima isn't a competent writer. His work on Glory of Heracles is good.

Really, FFVIII has some elements of this, time loop, and Rinoa = Ultimecia in it, but ultimately the game's story is VERY clearly a hodgepodge of elements that got cut out from FFVII. Sephiroth was originally supposed to be Aeris' boyfriend and Cloud's rival, and certainly the whole sorceress' knight thing is very reflective of Sephiroth's relationship with Jenova and Cloud's eventual relationship with Aeris. Also, Edea was a character originally conceived of for FFVII, according to some of the Ultimania translations I've read.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
I'm gonna quote my replies from the other thread:

OtherThread said:
Rahul said:
Deriving interpretive conclusions from an unjustified, abnormal perception of a video game.

I wouldn't normally write such a big schpiel on a videogame plot interpretation but your "analysis" has shoddy legs to stand on and here's why:

You claim that Final Fantasy 8 serves as a deconstruction of several aspects of what traditionally defines ..... jRPGS, Final Fantasy games, and by extension, all introverted people.
The validity of the analysis is certainly possible, but not very likely.
Your analysis consisted of:

- Squall is about to die, despite the game stating that he was rendered unconscious by having his shoulder pierced by ice. He was nursed back to health by the villains for interrogation.

- Squall is actually dreaming because of few choice screen captures that span a couple of frames interpreted by you to be indicative of "dead main character dreaming about his ideal future in a game with several thousands of frames of fmv that utilize visual effects such as bending and distortion.

- The game is unique because it deviates from the supposed jRPG narrative norm of sequential plot progression.
Hint: Almost every Japanese rpg/cartoon/everything starts out with an unassuming by standing kid being thrown into the middle of a grand conflict inadvertently. usually this is done by stumbling upon a giant robot while innocents are dying. This time it was via a bad internship with a crazy start-up revolutionary corp.

- You end your argument with:

Rahul said:
However, it can neither be proven nor disproven, obviously, much like the existence of God cannot be proven or disproven. It is merely a theory, with several clear pieces of evidence that support it - and several that likely contradict it.[/spoiler]

This is an illogical statement, a "theory" doesn't exist to be proven or disproven. That's a hypothesis.

Your theory would be considered valid when you have a trail of evidence that upholds your claim and refutes rival claims, all without adding anything outside of your framework (you cannot use "because god, a wizard, the developers, etc. intended it that way" to justify a result).

Ballistictiger said:
Interesting theory.

I'll just accept the story as it is. To me that scene at the end was just Squall trying to remember Rinoa and somehow he was losing his memories of her and died because Squall hates losing people, especially those close to him.

Phoenix down is not a revival tool. It's a wake up a knocked out person tool. Hence "down".

I'm pretty sure that refers to down feathers of a phoenix bird. Kinda like how people buy goose down feather jackets and pillows in the real world.

I think the biggest problem people have is the inability to suspend their disbelief when it comes to seeing really realistic characters and surroundings paired up with dinosaurs and witches. Hey, maybe in this fantasy world, the summoned creatures actually DO get rid of memories.

Or I could go with a somewhat more plausible, but completely unbacked statement like:

the GF memory lapse is a metaphor for PTSD that the kids experienced by being war orphans and all.

Or hey, maybe:
"Moombas are clearly symbolizing death in a game where I was fine dealing with witches and iguanas and zombie presidents."
does it for you.

Gilgamesh

Rahul, your write-up on the ending FMV (my personal favorite part of the whole game) was absolutely mindblowing and spectacular. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for FFVIII, and your interpretation increases my enjoyment and satisfaction a thousand-fold. For that reason, you've made a believer out of me. In fact, I'm going to play through it right now because I love your theory so much.

Freshmaker said:
No it doesn't. Why can Riona live for thousands of years?
There's sort of an empowering loop where Rinoa receives Adel's powers AND those of Edea (which came from Ultimecia). If you buy the idea that Ultimecia is Rinoa, this part of the theory kinda makes sense - it'd form a time loop in which each cycle increases Edea's/Rinoa's/Ultimecia's powers by an increment of however much power Adel has. I suppose.

Rahul

Gilgamesh said:
Rahul, your write-up on the ending FMV (my personal favorite part of the whole game) was absolutely mindblowing and spectacular. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for FFVIII, and your interpretation increases my enjoyment and satisfaction a thousand-fold. For that reason, you've made a believer out of me. In fact, I'm going to play through it right now because I love your theory so much.

Credits for the writeup mostly go to my girlfriend (dierat on GAF)! But good to hear, I look forward to hearing your thoughts after your next playthrough.

I'm not sure if it matters to the Squall's dead theory, but the one really strange thing that happens on the first disc is when the party passes out and has the dream about Laguna at the same time. The game later explains that by saying Ellone controlled their dreams...but if that was Squall's fantasy rationalization, then why would the entire team have such a strange dream at all?

Rahul

Scythesurge said:
I'm not sure if it matters to the Squall's dead theory, but the one really strange thing that happens on the first disc is when the party passes out and has the dream about Laguna at the same time. The game later explains that by saying Ellone controlled their dreams...but if that was Squall's fantasy rationalization, then why would the entire team have such a strange dream at all?

Who knows?

Did you watch A Serious Man? The story the 3rd rabbi tells is sort of like the first disc of FF8.

Rahul

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Ever think that it was Seifer who asked for Squall's wounds to be healed, so he could enjoy watching Squall be tortured?

Anyway,

Whatever.......
Maybe, but that's really out of character for the guy who was basically pretty okay but had different goals in life. Seifer is just as naive as Squall, but he's more popular. I don't acknowledge that he's some kind of crazy torturer.

Ever notice how Seifer's interesting personality from disc 1 completely vanishes once disc 2 starts and gets replaced by a shallow, predictable "bad guy"?

Rolf NB

Lol nostalgia. What an elaborate excuse for a a bad story. You really must love the game a whole lot, to go to these lengths covering up all of its flaws.

Rahul said:
Who knows?

Did you watch A Serious Man? The story the 3rd rabbi tells is sort of like the first disc of FF8.
I did not see that film but I'd sure like to. I guess the whole Laguna dream thing doesn't conflict with the theory, but it's occurrence is too consequential to be ignored. Though I am sure there are other things that don't get explained like this as well. If I go by the theory then it doesn't even matter if it gets explained because the main focus is on Squall's fantasy post death. Argh, I'm trying to take this all in!

Rahul

bcn-ron said:
Lol nostalgia. What an elaborate excuse for a a bad story. You really must love the game a whole lot, to go to these lengths covering up all of its flaws.

Actually I preferred VI, VII and X prior to learning of the theory from duckroll. But I was intrigued, like many in this thread are, and decided to go play through it again and write down what I found out. I found out a lot, as you can see from the analysis, and all of it only served to further cement my belief in the idea.

Jeels

I don't really agree with this analysis. The only thing that disturbs me about FF8's plot is the orphanage plot twist. If someone could just explain that portion to me in a way that its not a cheap plot trick that completely throws the story apart, I'd be content with the game.

Rahul said:
Maybe, but that's really out of character for the guy who was basically pretty okay but had different goals in life. Seifer is just as naive as Squall, but he's more popular. I don't acknowledge that he's some kind of crazy torturer.

Ever notice how Seifer's interesting personality from disc 1 completely vanishes once disc 2 starts and gets replaced by a shallow, predictable "bad guy"?
I never found him as a bad guy. Seifer is what he always is... a douche.

Rolf NB

Rahul said:
Actually I preferred VI, VII and X prior to learning of the theory from duckroll. But I was intrigued, like many in this thread are, and decided to go play through it again and write down what I found out. I found out a lot, as you can see from the analysis, and all of it only served to further cement my belief in the idea.
Yeah, I get that, but it's just way too broad. Your proposal could "fix" any story, no matter how many logical issues it contains.

All I know is, FF VIII's story contains a lot of things that don't make sense or are poorly developed. I don't have a particular reverence for the game, so I stop there and say "the story is bad". I see no necessity to find a deeper meaning, when the authors' intent can never be proven.

Counter-theory:
The story was written by multiple people with responsibilities distributed along the time axis. I.e. one person fleshes out disc 1, one person fleshes out first half of disc 2 etc. An overall main story arc was laid out so that people knew which events had to be in the game.

One of these main events was "Squall faces off against Edea" on disc 1, to deliver an early peak of excitement. Disc-1-dude thought it would be cool and dramatic to end the fight with both parties wounded and withdrawing on their last breath, but hey, she's powerful, so that wouldn't work. How about her bodyguard? Can Squall be wounded and only narrowly escape? Yeah, sure, why not.

Disc-2-dude, nearing the end of his own work, receives information about the disc 1 climax and he has to stitch together the ends in a week or so. "Curses, fuck, egads!" he cries, and lets Squall just recover somehow from that wound he never planned for.

Two weeks later they meet with the director and discuss the loose ends, gaps in the overall story progression that need to be filled and pushed together. The director listens and says "You know, our deadline has been moved back twice already. I'm not going to ask for another extend. You know we only have two more weeks, please try to make the most of that time. Then we will ship what we have."

Honestly, you respect the game too much. It's not a creature. It's not magically right about its existence. It can be flawed because it is a product. It was made by people with limited resources in finite time.

Ballistictiger said:
I never found him as a bad guy. Seifer is what he always is... a douche.

Edea/Ultimecia casted that spell or whatever it was on Seifer inside the TV station. That's when Seifer became "possessed" and really became a bad guy.

grumble

I'm pretty sure that all of these theories are trying to find a reason so that the plot, characters and their general interactions won't seem as bad as they really are. I'm at the end of FFVIII now for the third time in my life, and let me tell you, it's got an awful story. Being between VII and IX is also not doing it any favours, though IX has a pretty silly alternate dimension thing going on too near the end.

Your theory seems to hinge too much on the existence of things YOU think are silly and out of place. Like this is a way to somehow justify those goofy elements in a way meaningful to you. There is only one way to find out if you're on to something, like a plot thread that was later changed or something, or just crazy, and that's to ask. Hopefully someone in the press thinks this is cool enough to bring up sometime. I have a feeling the answers you'd get would be far more practical than you'd like to hear though.

That's Edea's eye at the end of disc 1 btw, not Squalls. They focus on it to show you the creepy shadow in her eye (to imply the Ultimecia possession maybe?) You can see the same shadow on the pupil from the zoomed out shots as well.

fernoca

Nice theory, but is just..speculations..nice read, but still..
I mean, most of the theory is because of him being impaled with that ice magic in that cutscene and then reappering again as if nothing happened..

But keep in mind that during the entire game..they are impaled, burned alive, and eaten by monsters..yet they survive the battles and move on. Just look in Final Fantasy VII..how the characters ae slashed and killed multiple times yet eveyrthing's solved with a Phoenix Down..yet they couldn't use a Phoenix Down when Aerith was killed?.. :p

What I'm trying to say, is that ..it doesn't have to make sense. Maybe it was just some magical ice ..stick...made to weaken him or something...or like in many movies and TV series that end with the main character "gettign killed" to leave it as a cliffhanger, just to open /start the next chapter or movie like nothing happened telling he survived the fall or the explotion by doing something or just doing nothing except resting. :p

Top Bottom