• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii Us in March, 85,000 Wiis

Wii U's horsepower doesn't have much to do with it's situation.
It does, regardless of how much people want to pretend it doesn't. There's little they can do about that now, of course.
It is the tech. In the sense that:
a) no one cares about the touchscreen tech
b) it doesn't provide an upgrade for PS3/360 gamers so why should they upgrade, and...
c) by corollary, as it doesn't provide an upgrade, it's essentially competing for the same market currently buying PS3s and 360s.
The "hook" hasn't worked, so essentially, in all but chronology, Nintendo have released a very late-to-the-party 7th gen console.

FyreWulff

It does, regardless of how much people want to pretend it doesn't. There's little they can do about that now, of course.

Doesn't stop people from buying woefully underpowered iPads, iPhones, android tablets, PS2s, PS1s, NESes, Wiis..

It's mostly a content issue. The people that care about the actual power are a minority.

yes it does, third parties cant port next gen games to it because it isnt powerful enough.

They had no issue porting games to lesser hardware in previous generations and they certainly have no problem releasing PC ports that run on worse hardware than a 360.

Toparaman

Banned
But the launch had a 2D Mario, the quintessential system seller and Black Ops 2 the biggest third party game out there, for a launch system those are 2 major sellers, or in theory should be. Compare that to the launch of PS2.

A 2D Mario that looked and played (upon first glance, anyway) just like the one on the Wii. Why would casual fans of Mario (i.e., people who like the simplicity of the 2D games, but find the 3D games too involving) buy a new console for that? They have so many other good alternatives for cooperative 2D platformers. And Black Ops 2? Again, why would any COD fan buy a Wii U to play that game?

darkwing

A 2D Mario that looked and played (upon first glance, anyway) just like the one on the Wii. Why would casual fans of Mario (i.e., people who like the simplicity of the 2D games, but find the 3D games too involving) buy a new console for that? They have so many other good alternatives for cooperative 2D platformers. And Black Ops 2? Again, why would any COD fan buy a Wii U to play that game?

off TV play and the gamepad

Nintendo needs to give up on saturating the market with the big 3 (mario, zelda, metroid) and the various mario spinoffs (smash bros, kart bros, soccer bros, etc.) They need to slowww down and only release one of those every few years and make sure they are of the highest quality.

In the mean time they need to focus on a big 3 that would actually interest gamers and by that I mean Donkey Kong Country, StarFox, and Earthbound . Plus get a big 3rd party exclusive that will appeal to a western audiance to fill that Goldeneye role this gen. In addition they need to create brand new IPs from scratch. It's the only way there gonna turn there fortunes around.

Nekofrog

Banned
Nintendo needs to give up on saturating the market with the big 3 (mario, zelda, metroid) and the various mario spinoffs (smash bros, kart bros, soccer bros, etc.) They need to slowww down and only release one of those every few years and make sure they are of the highest quality.

In the mean time they need to focus on a big 3 that would actually interest gamers and by that I mean Donkey Kong Country, StarFox, and Earthbound . Plus get a big 3rd party exclusive that will appeal to a western audiance to fill that Goldeneye role this gen. In addition they need to create brand new IPs from scratch. It's the only way there gonna turn there fortunes around.

Dude I love Earthbound, but it ain't gonna set the world on fire.

Darryl

Banned

LOL yea they could buy a desktop PC and play some obscure indie games they haven't heard about yet. that's what the casuals want to do.

Doesn't stop people from buying woefully underpowered iPads, iPhones, android tablets, PS2s, PS1s, NESes, Wiis..

It's mostly a content issue. The people that care about the actual power are a minority.
What is this revisionist history: The PS2 and PS1 were not woefully underpowered when they launched. That they provided a traditional generational leap in performance doesn't change simply because more powerful systems were released later. And comparisons with new mobile devices, that are essentially cutting edge in their space and that get yearly refreshes, aren't particularly helpful.

The Wii is a lone example in the console space wherein a system managed to drive consumer adoption without a significant increase in performance over the prior generation's hardware, as far as I'm aware. And the reasons for that are well documented.

People would not have bought PS3s/360s to replace their PS2s/XBOXs to replace their PS1s to replace their SNESs; if they did not offer technological improvement.

-----

People who expect some massive turnaround, people who say its all the marketing, people who say all it takes is Mario Kart, Zelda and a price drop...

Riddle me this: Who are you expecting to buy the system? And why?

It's a question that Nintendo seemingly didn't ask, or through either incompetence, arrogance or delusion convinced themselves the answer was positive.

Into

Why did people buy the Wii version of NSMB when it looked and played like the one on the DS? Why do CoD fans every year buy each new release that is barely different from the last? FIFA with slightly updated rosters? You do not need a super revolutionary game to sell your product or your console.

PS2 was sold with... a better looking Tekken 3 game where they just put most fighters from previous series and called it a day.

I strongly disagree with this idea where people are throwing NSMBU under the bus in order to explain poor sales, it is a 2D Mario. It should be doing better and be able to carry that system to better sales than 10-12k a week in US on a new console. At least it seems like Nintendo believed this, since that was the main title, the most promoted one with Nintendoland when they launched this thing.

FyreWulff

What is this revisionist history: The PS2 and PS1 were not woefully underpowered when they launched.

I'm comparing them against their actual competition of each generation. Not some arbitrary small slice of their run - they continued to beat the competition even after the beefier machines showed up.

Damn. They need to rebrand the system or something. I am at a loss for words at what they can do to revive the system.

I honestly don't think there is anything that they can do. I don't think the problem is just with the name "Wii U", it's with what comes first. The word "Nintendo". I think in the grand scheme of things the mindshare of Nintendo is right around Starter and Emerson. Archaic. Tired. Pointless.

Why did people buy the Wii version of NSMB when it looked and played like the one on the DS? Why do CoD fans every year buy each new release that is barely different from the last? FIFA with slightly updated rosters? You do not need a super revolutionary game to sell your product or your console.

PS2 was sold with... a better looking Tekken 3 game where they just put most fighters from previous series and called it a day.

I strongly disagree with this idea where people are throwing NSMBU under the bus in order to explain poor sales, it is a 2D Mario. It should be doing better and be able to carry that system to better sales than 10-12k a week in US on a new console. At least it seems like Nintendo believed this, since that was the main title, the most promoted one with Nintendoland when they launched this thing.

People don't buy new consoles to play the same shit they already own. NSMBW2 on Wii? They may buy that. A new console for a lazy sequel? Not so much.

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm comparing them against their actual competition of each generation. Not some arbitrary small slice of their run - they continued to beat the competition even after the beefier machines showed up.

The PS2 and PS1 were not so less beefy that they couldn't handle ports, the PS2 especially.

The Wii U is stuck a century behind the coming consoles.

zaidic

Banned
Quite happy to see Wii U struggling. They released a console that is hardly any better than PS360, and those came out about 7 years ago. I mean, seriously, should have released a powerful system at least twice as powerful as current gen systems by dropping that expensive gimmicky touchscreen controller which is nothing innovative anyway. If that was not enough, they do not even have a single interesting game. If someone does not own a console might as well just buy 360 or a PS3, in that way they`ll save money and get a huge library of games to play.

I am glad we are getting next gen soon; too tired of current gen visuals. I am pretty sure Wind Waker HD is going to look sweet though, I was quite impressed playing it at 1080p on Dolphin. A genuinely beautiful game.

Sure, because they used the advantage to build a substantial base that publishers couldn't ignore - and didn't want to anyway, since as a platform holder they seemed to cultivate relationships and an ecosystem around attracting third party publishers. The Wii U is not doing that. Content is king, but in particular "next generation" content.

But at a generational transition, what drives new product adoption? What drives people to upgrade? The PS2 and PS1 were sold on their hardware improvement - to deny so is fallacy.
But people kept buying PS1s, PS2s, and NESes long after stronger systems came out. Shoot, I'm pretty sure you can STILL buy a new PS2 from Wal-Mart. Riddle me THAT, Batman.
What's there to riddle? See above.

Why does no one want to answer such a simple question?

Xbox and PS2 were comparable powerwise. Wii U is 5-6 years behind the upcoming competition in terms of technology. People very much bought the PS2 because of the tech and power. Remember the Emotion Engine hype? Toy Story graphics? PS2's to be used by Saddam Hussein to launch missiles?

bon

What is this revisionist history: The PS2 and PS1 were not woefully underpowered when they launched. That they provided a traditional generational leap in performance doesn't change simply because more powerful systems were released later. And comparisons with new mobile devices, that are essentially cutting edge in their space and that get yearly refreshes, aren't particularly helpful.

The Wii is a lone example in the console space wherein a system managed to drive consumer adoption without a significant increase in performance over the prior generation's hardware, as far as I'm aware. And the reasons for that are well documented.

People would not have bought PS3s/360s to replace their PS2s/XBOXs to replace their PS1s to replace their SNESs; if they did not offer technological improvement.

-----

People who expect some massive turnaround, people who say its all the marketing, people who say all it takes is Mario Kart, Zelda and a price drop...

It's a question that Nintendo seemingly didn't ask, or through either incompetence, arrogance or delusion convinced themselves the answer was positive.

But people kept buying PS1s, PS2s, and NESes long after stronger systems came out. Shoot, I'm pretty sure you can STILL buy a new PS2 from Wal-Mart. Riddle me THAT, Batman.

EDIT:
Sure, because they used the advantage to build a substantial base that publishers couldn't ignore - and didn't want to anyway, since as a platform holder they seemed to cultivate relationships and an ecosystem around attracting third party publishers. Content is king, but in particular "next generation" content.

But at a generational transition, what drives new product adoption? What drives people to upgrade? The PS2 and PS1 were sold on their hardware improvement - to deny so is fallacy.

I agree content is king, but you'll have to define "next generation content" and explain why Wii U games don't count in a way that the average person will understand. Especially while people are mistaking current gen games like Watch Dogs and The Phantom Pain for being next gen. Are people going to look at the next 3D Mario game, then look at Knack and decide that Mario Galaxy 3 is ugly and primitive in comparison?

PS1, PS2 and NES initially did blow people's minds graphically, and once the competition starting coming out with more advance graphics and tech, they had established themselves, and since they were in same power range as the comp, were still able to garner support from third parties.

Wii U is coming out six years AFTER comparable systems tech wise, at a much higher price point and with a much smaller game library. And in about 6 months the competition will start coming out, only Nintendo haven't established themselves and will not be in the same building in terms of tech.

It's really an inane technology. Is this really the narrative people are going to start running with now? PS1 and PS2 were all of a sudden weak systems?

The graphics of Tekken Tag were a noticeable leap. It sold the potential of the PS2. NSMBU's graphics simply don't do that. Similarly, if a CoD launched with the new consoles this winter and looked virtually indistinguishable from the PS360 versions, we might see something similar happen. If that's all they had at launch...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
They had no issue porting games to lesser hardware in previous generations and they certainly have no problem releasing PC ports that run on worse hardware than a 360.

That's patently false. Tons of games that are on the PS360 are not ported to the wii, because of lesser hardware. Those PC ports are also port ups from the PS360 to the PC, not the other way round, and PC ports must have low settings that are roughly the ballpark of the consoles anyway.

FyreWulff

The PS2 and PS1 were not so less beefy that they couldn't handle ports, the PS2 especially.

It could handle ports because many games were developed on PS1/PS2 first and then ported to the other hardware.

The original Xbox had twice the RAM (and unified at that), a faster dvd drive, a hard drive in every system for cache loads to speed up loading even more, programmable shaders, proper bumpmapping, a higher clock and a whole other suite of bells and whistles. It still sold a fraction of the PS2's sales. The PS2 also got a lot of third party exclusives just by default of a developer's loyalty or familiarity with the hardware; in those cases, other hardware wasn't even relevant.

The console is also receiving ports of games available on known next gen hardware, like Watch Dogs.

So I fail to see how pulling a Saturn will fix their situation - they can't match Sony and Microsoft's wallets anyway. They'll destroy consumer trust in their consoles lifespans. The console outputs a native 720p signal - which fixes the problem the original Wii had where shitty scalers would poop all over the game's visuals. Microsoft is currently making tons of money off a game made out of square blocks. People continue to hype and buy PSN and XBLA titles that don't come anywhere close to pushing the limits of the hardware. Probably because they're looking for content.

The worst case scenario for the Wii U is that Nintendo tries again at the turn of the next console hardware changeover in 5 years. Trying to compete by panicing and releasing upgraded hardware has long term effects that one only has to look at Sega to learn from.

As a general supporter of the company, I've already resigned myself to seeing this as a "Gamecube" generation for Nintendo.

That said, I'll still be getting the system because I know that over its lifespan it will have some amazing games, not the least of which are:

Pikmin 3 (I would buy the system for this game alone)
3D Mario
HD Zelda

As long as they keep releasing new and inventive versions of its main characters, I'll be on board. And that's without even taking into account the games I'm not even expecting.

With the Gamecube, for example, the draw for me was Melee and Wind Waker, but then there was also Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario (TTYT), Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Resident Evil 4, etc. that made the Gamecube a very memorable gaming generation for me.

The fact that they're doing a 3DS-focused Nintendo Direct instead of a Wii U one is also most worrying to me. The 3DS is already in beast mode for nearly the rest of the year. The Wii U is what needs software announcements like, right now, as in dates on Wii Fit, Pikmin, and 101.

This is really the most mind boggling thing of all. Why is there a lack of Wii U-focused Nintendo Direct's? As you mentioned, they have games like Wii Fit, Pikmin and W101 that they could be unveiling new info for and showing new footage. And while no one expects them to unveil the next 3D Mario or Mario Kart there, I don't see why they can't give us more updates on games like the Wind Waker remake and Yarn Yoshi. And they've got to have some third party games on the horizon that we don't know about.

Darryl

Banned

It's mostly a content issue. The people that care about the actual power are a minority

ya agreed. i was out of the loop the last console generation - a casual - and i literally thought the Wii was on power level with everyone else for the longest time. Brawl and Galaxy looked as good as what anyone else had to offer. eventually the games just disappeared and I thought its time had passed. if you told me that it was 15x or 20x weaker, i would've thought you were full of shit. i've always been huge into technology as well, just did not care about video games news that much at the time (but i still played it then as much as i do now).

KAP151

It still boggles my mind that they have had pretty much had SFA since launch. 6 months for a brand new system and the thing is a ghost town. Virtually no one give a shit about it.

In all honesty, what are they going to do once PS4/Durango launches?. Releasing 1-2 great titles a year aint gonna cut it. The constant apologies are getting old. Give us some games already....

The original Xbox had twice the RAM (and unified at that), a faster dvd drive, a hard drive in every system for cache loads to speed up loading even more, programmable shaders, proper bumpmapping, a higher clock and a whole other suite of bells and whistles. It still sold a fraction of the PS2's sales. The PS2 also got a lot of third party exclusives just by default of a developer's loyalty or familiarity with the hardware; in those cases, other hardware wasn't even relevant.

The PS2 had won its generation before the Xbox/Gamecube even launched. People were impressed by its graphical output, DVD playback was a hot feature, third party support was strong, and sales were looking healthy. A lot of people weren't confident in the Xbox because Microsoft was unproven in the gaming world. The GameCube... honestly, I'm not sure why it didn't perfrom better than it did. The sales just weren't there.

Nintendo had an opportunity to pull a PS2 with the Wii U. Get third parties on board, offer up something enticing to consumers, and get some heavy hitting titles out there before the competition can get a foothold. It's too late for that now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
- Lucky gamers who can afford multiple consoles, and enjoy the best the medium has to offer.

- Nintendo fans of a specific 1st party franchise/waiting for the console to have 3 games they want before they jump in/waiting for a price drop.

- Wii casual gamers who bought their wii after 3 years, taking their time to upgrade.

- New consumers: that's the beauty with kids, they appear from nowhere every year (well not exactly) and Nintendo games are usually well suited to them. Pokemon, Zelda WW, Mario Kart. and the likes should do wonders, displayed in HD Kiosks.

So dozens of millions of people in the long run.

PS1, PS2 and NES initially did blow people's minds graphically, and once the competition starting coming out with more advance graphics and tech, they had established themselves, and since they were in same power range as the comp, were still able to garner support from third parties.

Wii U is coming out six years AFTER comparable systems tech wise, at a much higher price point and with a much smaller game library. And in about 6 months the competition will start coming out, only Nintendo haven't established themselves and will not be in the same building in terms of tech.

It's really an inane technology. Is this really the narrative people are going to start running with now? PS1 and PS2 were all of a sudden weak systems?

Don't even try to make sense. People are always with this stupid theory that the past was different. I guess most here just lived in a different world were PS1 and PS2 were actually those polystations ripoffs.

- New consumers: that's the beauty with kids, there appear from nowhere every year (well not exactly) and Nintendo games are usually well suited to them. Pokemon, Zelda WW, Mario Kart. and the likes should do wonders displayed in HD Kiosks.

If Nintendo is really serious about getting the Wii U to sell they need to stop worrying about treading on their handheld toes and release a proper Pokemon game for the system.

The power gap is a lot bigger between Wii U and PS4/Durango then PS2 to Xbox.

On top of that, when those beefier consoles finally showed up, PS1/2 were already top dog and nothing the other two could do would have changed a damn thing.

The same ain't happening with the Wii U. It's selling worse than the previous generation 5 months after launch. It's selling worse than the PS3s horrendous launch. It'll probably sell worse than Vita for a couple months before the holidays. I mean, that's just sad.

It could handle ports because many games were developed on PS1/PS2 first and then ported to the other hardware.

False analogy - when you were watching ps2 game vs xbox game you didn't have to google definition of console generation just to justify they are the same.

bon

Nobody is saying the PS1 and PS2 were weak at the time. But why did the PS1 outsell the Saturn? Software. The Dreamcast's graphics wowed people, so why did the PS2 outsell it? Because people wanted a DVD player, and later because of the software. The Master System came out shortly after the NES with way better graphics, but guess which one had a better software library.

Most importantly, don't ignore the decade long reign of the Game Boy, where it consistently slammed far more advanced competition into oblivion. And don't give me that "handhelds don't count" garbage.

Software is what sells, not hardware. How "old" the technology is is a moot point.

(also I updated my earlier post)

Aaron

- Wii casual gamers who bought their wii after 3 years, taking their time to upgrade.

- New consumers: that's the beauty with kids, they appear from nowhere every year (well not exactly) and Nintendo games are usually well suited to them. Pokemon, Zelda WW, Mario Kart. and the likes should do wonders, displayed in HD Kiosks.
The first two groups sure, but casual gamers aren't coming back for more. The Wii was like Guitar Hero and Rockband. They've had their fill, they're moving on to other things. While kids these days care less and less about Nintendo franchises. Pokemon still is a big draw... on handhelds. Their console versions are usually awful, and not system sellers. Kids are playing Angry Birds and Minecraft.

The Dreamcast was out for 18 full months on its own before the PS2 hit and was discontinued just 12 months after that (In the US, 13 months and 5 months). The PS2 didn't kill the Dreamcast, apathy did. I loved the Dreamcast but people just didn't care, Sega had burned through a ton of the good will from the Genesis by that point.

Lets be honest, most of us who bought the Dreamcast knew we were probably on a sinking ship going in.

marc^o^

The first two groups sure, but casual gamers aren't coming back for more. The Wii was like Guitar Hero and Rockband. They've had their fill, they're moving on to other things. While kids these days care less and less about Nintendo franchises. Pokemon still is a big draw... on handhelds. Their console versions are usually awful, and not system sellers. Kids are playing Angry Birds and Minecraft.
Around me every family has a wii, and among these casuals, some say Wii U seems nice but too expensive. We can expect Nintendo to increase the value over time. As of kids, Yoshi, Mario, Pokemon, Zelda WW and co will prove to be more attractive than you think. It's a segment Nintendo won't lose without a fight.

kuroshiki

Around me every family has a wii, and among these casuals, some say Wii U seems nice but too expensive. We can expect Nintendo to increase the value over time. As of kids, Yoshi, Mario, Pokemon, Zelda WW and co will prove to be more attractive than you think. It's a segment Nintendo won't lose without a fight.

If you flip the word around, that also means that nintendo's system has no value without those games. It also limits the audience -for those die hard nintendo fans-, too.

Casuals who bought the wii already moved on. Also, Wii left a bad taste in their mouth since casual gamers just played for few days and later did nothing with it. I clearly remember when few of youngsters were complaining why Wii couldn't get the ports from PS3/X360. There was simply no game for vast majority.

It has crappy resale value too, which tells you the popularity of the system.

They know Wii was just a fad, and nintendo made a mistake by naming the system that correlates with Wii.

Darryl

Banned

kids flip on their interests so fast. these games will be out of the picture the moment there's a next thing that is marketed to them to like instead. microsoft/sony are going to struggle with these markets even harder than nintendo will, who still has dozens of products on the shelves in toy sections.

bon

If you flip the word around, that also means that nintendo's system has no value without those games. It also limits the audience -for those die hard nintendo fans-, too.

Casuals who bought the wii already moved on. Also, Wii left a bad taste in their mouth since casual gamers just played for few days and later did nothing with it. I clearly remember when few of youngsters were complaining why Wii couldn't get the ports from PS3/X360. There was simply no game for vast majority.

They know Wii was just a fad, and nintendo made a mistake by naming the system that correlates with Wii.

... So why is the Wii still selling then?

marc^o^

I don't know what you are talking about, I bring my kids to anniversaries every few weeks and there's always a Just Dance/Mario Kart session. Wii is still very popular with casuals. They bought many games for this console, not just Wii Sports and WiiFit as you seem to believe.

Top Bottom