• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo sold 55,000 Wii Us in March, 85,000 Wiis

Mogwai

All signs points to that to me.

Slow OS, no proper account system, hardly any games, delayed games. They even wasted those two years between the Wii abandonment to now. This system is half assed.

My comment was direct towards to Wii, which he implied became successful based on luck. I really don't think that Nintendo just got lucky.

I definitely agree on your points regarding the Wii U. The OS might not be the best, but it's way to slow for today's standards. And the lack of games of games is a deal killer. Currently the Wii U is a decent supplement to PC/360/PS3 owners. But for 95% of all gamers, I don't think the Wii U suffices.

kuroshiki

The funniest thing I read about Reggie was when he heard about Tvii and sprung to life. "This is what I know, I'll make this work, I'm really excited about this shit yo! This is my area of expertise!" or words to that effect.

Dude basically said he doesn't give a shit about games and doesn't know jack. We know this, but it's always useful to have it confirm.

Sack this buffoon now. But that won't happen as Iwata has surrounded himself with yes men who don't know what the fuck is going on.

They need to stick Koji Kondo in charge. That dude is ace!

The more reason why Reggie should be at the helm of NOA or entire Nintendo.

Sony fans love him yo. Enemy's enemy is your friend. Long live Reggie! May him reign nintendo forever and ever.

Pokemon is still gold, and Mario Kart always sells, but Nintendo can't succeed by trotting out their tired franchises over and over. They need something like a Minecraft that can capture the imagination of the younger generation, and make it a must have. Mario isn't going to do it, and neither is Zelda.
Nintendo has no interest in new IPs. They're currently rehashing the same franchises, expecting the market to marvel at them once again. I just don't see that happening. Zelda will surely be cool and have a big reveal, but is anyone expecting Nintendo to truly make a next gen game that rivals other action adventure third person titles in terms of scope or ambition? I have a feeling it'll be the same semi empty world stuff with prettier graphics, and non Nintendo fans will shrug again.

Mario Kart will certainly interest folks but can it save this console? Can a 3D Mario? I doubt it. The market seems to have moved on, and kids who wanted a Wii 5 years ago are now hyped for Grand Theft Auto, CoD, Halo, God of War, etc; basically stuff Nintendo can't make. Their target market seems to be getting smaller and smaller. The hardcore Nintendo fans will buy anything, but children and casual adults have moved on to social media games, Kindle, iPhone/Android games, etc. Meanwhile games 16 and above are focused on FPS, playing online with friends, and other stuff Nintendo decided wasn't important. Good luck with that.

Dreaver

Wow, Nintendo is in such an horrible spot right now. The worst thing of all is that they won't come out of it anytime soon. They've been so extremely stupid. They had a huge user base and a head start of a year, and they wasted it ALL. Seriously, what the fuck was Nintendo doing after '09? They'll have to work VERY hard and even then there's a small chance the Wii U will recover.

The NextBox and Playstation 4 are around the corner. I'm betting they'll both be marketed very hardcore soon. The 360 and PS3 will be probably be cheaper and much more attractive for the even more casual crowd. Yeah the Wii U might be 'next gen' but it definitely is also in the same market/crowd as the PS360.

Right now there is almost literely zero reason to own one. At best it will be 'worth it' at the end of the year, and I doubt even that will happen (at least not compared next to a true next-gen system or a cheap PS360).

They won't just drop the Wii U. It would be very damaging to the company and they'll lose a lot of customers. The best situation would be to rebrand the Wii U, have a stream of awesome first party games (let's be honest, there won't be third party games) constantly coming and market the shit out of it (focusing on the unique selling points). Release a 'true next gen' system after 4 years or so. I still think the console would sell bad but I can't a better solution.

fritolay

Can we really blame kids for, currently, liking Angry Bird more than Mario? Mario is not, officially, on tablets and smartphones like Angry Birds. It's a consequence of being a franchise tied to it's companies hardware. Not that this is a bad thing by itself, I don't have numbers, but I think Mario is still, overall, more profitable than the Angry Bird brand, and more likely to remain consistent, since I doubt the Angry Birds brand is going to last many years.

That said, I do think the Mario brand has potential to become more know and generate more income from merchandise than currently is. They could take some pages from the book that the Pokémon Company is reading.

Imagine if Ouya has Angry Birds and Minecraft, and it these are on the box when it hits retail. At $99 it would outsell the Wii U.

AzaK

Because they don’t deserve to be successful for half-assing everything.

They got away with it for the Wii and thankfully it backfired this time.....
Pretty much this. They need a kick in the pants, and they need to know that their mediocre approach to gaming (online, digital, schedules, third party, attitude to tech etc etc) is not good enough.

NZA36

Neo Member
Pretty much this. They need a kick in the pants, and they need to know that their mediocre approach to gaming (online, digital, schedules, third party, attitude to tech etc etc) is not good enough.

It will have to be a kick to the front of the pants because they are stubborn as hell.

Log4Girlz

Wow, Nintendo is in such an horrible spot right now. The worst thing of all is that they won't come out of it anytime soon. They've been so extremely stupid. They had a huge user base and a head start of a year, and they wasted it ALL. Seriously, what the fuck was Nintendo doing after '09? They'll have to work VERY hard and even then there's a small chance the Wii U will recover.

The NextBox and Playstation 4 are around the corner. I'm betting they'll both be marketed very hardcore soon. The 360 and PS3 will be probably be cheaper and much more attractive for the even more casual crowd. Yeah the Wii U might be 'next gen' but it definitely is also in the same market/crowd as the PS360.

Right now there is almost literely zero reason to own one. At best it will be 'worth it' at the end of the year, and I doubt even that will happen (at least not compared next to a true next-gen system or a cheap PS360).

They won't just drop the Wii U. It would be very damaging to the company and they'll lose a lot of customers. The best situation would be to rebrand the Wii U, have a stream of awesome first party games (let's be honest, there won't be third party games) constantly coming and market the shit out of it (focusing on the unique selling points). Release a 'true next gen' system after 4 years or so. I still think the console would sell bad but I can't a better solution.

They flushed all hype down the toilet by announcing the Wii U so early. We're coming up on its THIRD E3 SHOWING.

Jomjom

Banned
Is that Nintendo's fault or the app Netflix designed?

Nintendo's because Netflix has made apps for a billion devices now I'm sure they are experts at that. Meanwhile Nintendo can't get their own console to stop crashing and to load faster.

Burai

shitonmychest57
One thing I've never understood is why Nintendo has not leveraged their handheld success into consoles more. Out of box, no add on, you should be to play or stream games through system to your TV. As well as have access to the handheld VC on the home console.

I always thought Nintendo got the Wii U concept backwards. I don't want a home console that turns into a quasi handheld with a range of 20ft away from the TV. I want a full-on handheld that I can take anywhere that streams to my TV when I'm on the couch.

AzaK

I always thought Nintendo got the Wii U concept backwards. I don't want a home console that turns into a quasi handheld with a range of 20ft away from the TV. I want a full-on handheld that I can take anywhere that streams to my TV when I'm on the couch.

Wait until next generation.

AZ Greg

Nintendo will never sacrafice one of their revenue streams to go this route.

The problem is that PS4 is like Goku and 720 is like Vegeta, and WiiU has the power level of Kirilin.

Ce-Lin

sorry for bumping this, but for some reason today TV, Internet and radio ads in my country started referring to the new Nintendo console as "Wii 2" instead of "Wii U", don't know if it was something Nintendo talked with retailers or they just decided to do this on their own accord.

liger05

sorry for bumping this, but for some reason today TV, Internet and radio ads in my country started referring to the new Nintendo console as "Wii 2" instead of "Wii U", don't know if it was something Nintendo talked with retailers or they just decided to do this on their own accord.

Where are you?

FreeMufasa

Even if that happens they gotta release a system more powerful den da ps4. No way they can do that.

Best thing they can do is go the full 10 years with da WiiU. Hopefully the ps360 will be gone by 2015. They'll then be da cheapest system. Then when the gen after comes be prepares for it.

Nintendo ads or just things retailers are doing? And if its internet is there visual?

Guymelef

What ads? it's early today and you have seen internet ads, tv ads and radio ads?

Top Bottom