• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Garfield is "The Amazing Spider-Man" (official title)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
SpeedingUptoStop said:
So what you're saying is...

Spider-Man needs to have a small dick.

Pretty much.
Those tight trousers are showing off his penis and balls.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Ushojax said:
Do some of you ever leave the house? Most people aged 25 and under dress this way.

Do you ever realize that the world is not one uniform environment where everything has the same demographic?

neorej said:
You clearly never had a redhead in the sack.
It's not about redheads, I love them. It's more about MJ. I guess Kirsten "always high" Dunst burned me a bit on that character.

Spike Spiegel said:
Pretty sure it's the mismatched socks, skinny jeans, fingerless gloves, and expertly coiffed "tousled" hairstyle on a guy that's tall, thin and handsome that's got people riled up... Clean white socks (and undies!), regular cut jeans, and a haircut that came from his dear old aunt -- that's young Peter Parker from the 90s.

Fixed. Get with the times, old man.

Dali

Spike Spiegel said:
Pretty sure it's the mismatched socks, skinny jeans, fingerless gloves, and expertly coiffed "tousled" hairstyle on a guy that's tall, thin and handsome that's got people riled up... Clean white socks (and undies!), regular cut jeans, and a haircut that came from his dear old aunt -- that's young Peter Parker.
Exactly! This guy looks like he spent houts in front of a mirror trying to get his hair just right. From reading comments like salvor's above I'm getting the feeling this is what modern/ultimate spiderman is and I'm just scratching my head because my knowledge of him is well... OG spiderman. Seems like it's going to play out like raimi's version will end up being for us old timers and this version will be for people who were raised on the "nerd by circumstance" (lol) spidey.

brotkasten said:
Fixed. Get with the times, old man.
I'm in my early 30s, I am an "old man" and my Peter Parker stopped existing the moment Marvel decided that being married, steadily employed as a teacher and responsible was something Peter Parker shouldn't be. I'll freely admit that I am not this movie's target audience.

suzu

You guys haven't seen real hipsters (they are way more over the top). He dresses pretty normal for his age (flashback isnt it?) other than the socks and glove things. His hair isn't really that crazy either. I'll say he looks more like a regular college guy rather than a typical nerd though.

Haha, I've been out of the loop. I thought this was going to be another origin movie! I'm glad to hear it's not. We don't need another one of those, because it's too implausible. And, those movies really waste a lot of time.

vas_a_morir said:
Haha, I've been out of the loop. I thought this was going to be another origin movie! I'm glad to hear it's not. We don't need another one of those, because it's too implausible. And, those movies really waste a lot of time.

I did too- glad to know they're taking the Incredible Hulk route. I don't need to know more about Uncle Ben dying more than I need to know about the Waynes getting shot in Crime Alley.

Also, Emma Stone looks a better Gwen Stacy every day, and she was good to start with, so yayyyyy

Pachimari

Go4iv.jpg

l6psa.jpg

bSv8O.jpg

Andrew Garfield on set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FdvO7eTavI&feature=player_embedded
http://blip.tv/file/5122775?utm_source=player_embedded

Andrew signing autographs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6U-c5kStIc&feature=player_embedded

I love the casting of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.

dunno how people can balk at the clothes when this is a film about a man who fights crime IN A BRIGHT RED/BLUE SKIN-TIGHT GIMP COSTUME

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Green Scar said:
dunno how people can balk at the clothes when this is a film about a man who fights crime IN A BRIGHT RED/BLUE SKIN-TIGHT GIMP COSTUME

that's true. in fact, peter should just wear a dress. nobody could question it could they? they would be fools if they did. i mean, he fights crime in a spider suit. all bets are off.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
beelzebozo said:
that's true. in fact, peter should just wear a dress. nobody could question it could they? they would be fools if they did. .
I really liked these sentences when I imagined them as a proposal that he should just wear a dress, as Spider-Man.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I really liked these sentences when I imagined them as a proposal that he should just wear a dress, as Spider-Man.

just add a question mark at the end of the title and it actually works. and an ellipsis.

SPIDER. . . MAN(?)

Everytime I see this thread getting bumped, I get more and more excited about this movie; but then I see every other poster throwing the word "hipster" around like it's the fucking plague and it makes me wanna slam my head on my desk. It's ridiculous.

I really, honestly don't see anything wrong with the clothes they wear. I wouldn't wear most of it, but so what? Would you guys really notice, let alone form an opinion, if someone walked by you on the streets in similar clothes like Garfield or Stone are wearing?

Sometimes a part of gaf really does sound like a bunch of old farts, disguising their intolerance and whining behind the idea that if you label it "hipster", it's ok to hate.

MisterHero

Green Scar said:
well it's the worst bright red/blue skin-tight gimp costume ever

i would have gone with a modified alex ross design over this

I will still try to enjoy the movie though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Souldriver said:
I really, honestly don't see anything wrong with the clothes they wear. I wouldn't wear most of it, but so what? Would you guys really notice, let alone form an opinion, if someone walked by you on the streets in similar clothes like Garfield or Stone are wearing?

Sometimes a part of gaf really does sound like a bunch of old farts, disguising their intolerance and whining behind the idea that if you label it "hipster", it's ok to hate.

interesting points. but when people in movies wear clothes i don't like, the movies are bad.

bud

so, why do spidey and bats have to cover themselves when all supes has to do is take his glasses off. and why is there a hyphen in spider-man when there isn't one in batman and superman. someone please answer these pressing questions.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
bud said:
so, why do spidey and bats have to cover themselves when all supes has to do is take his glasses off. and why is there a hyphen in spider-man when there isn't one in batman and superman. someone please answer these pressing questions.
Superman universe is loaded with stupid people.

also, when you have the physique of Superman, your only choice is to NERD UP and put on some fucking glasses, four eyes.

bud

you guys wouldn't be having that discussion if garfield had been an ugly man. clearly, he has been miscast.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
actually the latent anti-intelligence/nerdery/glasses message of super=man is pretty interesting. the idea that someone with glasses could do something so heroic as super/man is so unbelievable to people in this society that the illusion is complete almost instantaneously. take that concept and plug in any other minority and you have a real debate on your hands.

Ulairi

Banned
My Name Is Luke said:
Everytime I see this thread getting bumped, I get more and more excited about this movie; but then I see every other poster throwing the word "hipster" around like it's the fucking plague and it makes me wanna slam my head on my desk. It's ridiculous.

It's enough to make you want to put on your scarf, grab your skinny jeans and head to the coffee shop, isn't it?

beelzebozo said:
that's true. in fact, peter should just wear a dress. nobody could question it could they? they would be fools if they did. i mean, he fights crime in a spider suit. all bets are off.

All bets are off. They've already established that people will consider that thing a suitable option for fighting crime, who's to say what kind of twisted vision they have of what is an acceptable dress code.
I know you're joking, so am I, I just want people to stop bitching :/

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Green Scar said:
All bets are off. They've already established that people will consider that thing a suitable option for fighting crime, who's to say what kind of twisted vision they have of what is an acceptable dress code.
I know you're joking, so am I, I just want people to stop bitching :/

i agree the complaining is really silly, for the record.

MisterHero

beelzebozo said:
actually the latent anti-intelligence/nerdery/glasses message of super=man is pretty interesting. the idea that someone with glasses could do something so heroic as super/man is so unbelievable to people in this society that the illusion is complete almost instantaneously. take that concept and plug in any other minority and you have a real debate on your hands.
do you react this way every time someone shares their preferences about a beloved character with a drastic aesthetic change?

how dare they, am i right?

My last post was a clear exaggeration as others probably were, but to point out that the costume is very different is something that shouldn't be suprising, no?

I do lament there isn't more about this movie to discuss right now.

Dali said:
I'll be sure you two are amongst the first to get my drafts for this Superman screen play I'm writing were Clark Kent is a junkie, punk, guitarist.
don't forget giant robot spiders wearing giant robot combat boots

Dali

Green Scar said:

SpeedingUptoStop said:
It's about REALISM.

You guys are so clever! How come you two are the only ones who "get it" whilst all these other lame-tards complain about such trivial shit? I'll be sure you two are amongst the first to get my drafts for this Superman screen play I'm writing were Clark Kent is a junkie, punk, guitarist.

Dali said:
You guys are so clever! How come you two are the only ones who "get it" whilst all these other lame-tards complain about such trivial shit? I'll be sure you two are amongst the first to get my drafts for this Superman screen play I'm writing were Clark Kent is a junkie, punk, guitarist.

I will gladly take your screenplay, sire!
I'm pro-silliness, to be clear, I don't give a shit what people are wearing

Dali

Green Scar said:
I will gladly take your screenplay, sire!
I'm pro-silliness, to be clear, I don't give a shit what people are wearing
I think the complaint is more about it just not being in character. This guy seems cool. He's a nerd in the same vein Marty McFly was a nerd (which is to say, not at all).

Toby's Spiderman on the other hand was a perfect screen representation of the stereotypical nerd that was presented in Amazing Fantasy #15. He was a genius, goody-two-shoes that seemed as though he was raised (or coddled) by two doting old people. The general campiness of the films as presented by Sam Raimi helped sell it, but Spiderman is a light-hearted, "campy" character so the two went hand-in-hand anyway.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Wait, so I'm assuming it's the stunt guy who's in the costume for the recent batch of pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom