• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Stanton back to animation, helming 'Finding Nemo' sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist

Banned
EXCLUSIVE: While Andrew Stanton’s live action feature directing debut John Carter led to a precedent setting $200 million write down for Disney earlier this summer, the filmmaker is officially out of director jail. I’ve been hearing for months that he would come aboard to direct the sequel to Disney-based Pixar’s Finding Nemo, with the idea that Disney would give him another shot behind the camera on a live action film.

I’m told he’s now officially come aboard the Finding Nemo sequel and has a concept the studio loves. Pixar continues to not be helpful on this, as they don’t comment on development. It’s understandable why Disney and Pixar would be excited by this. Stanton won two Oscars for his animation work on Wall-E and Finding Nemo. That original 2003′s fish tale’s $867.9 million worldwide gross makes it still Pixar’s second highest grossing film, and the third biggest Disney animated film release ever. And that comes before Finding Nemo is re-released in 3D in September.

As for Disney coming through with another live action project, I’m hearing that nothing is firm but that the studio is working on it. It looks like the studio is ready to give Stanton a mulligan on John Carter. Stanton, who has played a big role in many of Pixar’s hits going back to Toy Story, has an opportunity to put a big flop behind him and he’s certainly not the first director to have trouble out of the gate, as David Fincher did with Alien 3. Plenty of others failed the first time out and lived to fight another day and Stanton will get the same opportunity from the studio which has made a fortune off his successes.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/joh...back-into-animation-with-finding-nemo-sequel/

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Stop making sequels, what the fuck.

Forever

Banned
Why are they making sequels to everything except Incredibles, their one property that is ideally suited for serialization?

EulaCapra

My jaw is in the floor. I'm not sure whether I'm disappointed that there had to be a Finding Nemo sequel or deliriously excited.

Lijik

I feel sorry for Stanton. Marketing killed his blockbuster!

I didnt even think it was all that great of a film personally (i did enjoy myself throughout portions of it though!), but I could see it having done gangbusters if the marketing wasn't so incompetent

I dont know how to feel about this news. I remember having a discussion with a friend about which Pixar sequels we'd be want to see and which ones sound mediocre right off the bat, and this was one of the latter. (Personally for me the only sequel I'd want is Incredibles 2)

JGS

Banned
Stop making sequels, what the fuck.
There were always supposed to be sequels. That was the big argument between Disney & PIXAR before Disney bought them.

I don't have a problem with sequels (A Cars sequel involving spies or international racing should have been great. Both of them together sucked so thanks Mater). I do wish they would go to 2 films a year from 1 to accommodate new stuff.

Maybe they plan to alternate with Disney.
Cuz Brad Bird will cut a motherfucker before that happens.
I think they have the right to make a sequel but a sequel simply will not work unless Bird is involved or they just make it an Avengers/super hero clone- something the original Incredibles definitely was not and the sequel would likely suffer for.

foxtrot_Dreamworks.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn, Nemo is one of my least favorite Pixar movies. Too much o a kids' movie that relied on funny voices instead of a good script. Great visuals, though.

iSv6eDZlfAq6L.gif

This GREATLY pleases me. Now all we need is Brad Bird and those two new IPs from Pixar about going inside your mind/Day of the Dead from Peter Doctor/Lee Unkrich and we're back in business

I didnt even think it was all that great of a film personally (i did enjoy myself throughout portions of it though!), but I could see it having done gangbusters if the marketing wasn't so incompetent
True that. I liked the film more than the average blockbuster, though, so I've been thinking more highly of Stanton recently.

Why he's doing a sequel to what was already a great film, though, is beyond me. Make something more original!

Tucah

you speak so well
Why the fuck do we need a Finding Nemo sequel? Pixar needs to stop with the sequels already (unless you give me Incredibles 2).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Bad Andrew! Go to your room!

I will gladly accept another shitty Nemo movie if Stanton is allowed another crack at live action.

My John Carter blu arrives this week.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Sculli is your movie taste always this bad?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
And the downward spiral of Pixar continues.

The only way I could see this working is if Nemo is all grown up.

Curiocity

Mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, love Andrew Stanton, Finding Nemo and Wall-E are two of my favorite pixar flicks. On the other hand the reason I loved them was their adorable atmosphere and uniqueness, and that's what Pixar was famous for. I don't really want sequels for them. Maybe they're trying to pull out some stops because Brave was such a mixed bag? All I can think is Stanton better have a damn good story here.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I see them doing something with the BP scandal.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So he's lost again? Wtf man someone call child protective services or something.

JGS

Banned
I think it will be Finding Marlin or Finding Dory (Which would be hilarious for at least 5 minutes because she wouldn't know she was lost)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom