• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppu

The Verge reported that while Sense 4 is a vast improvement, there are still some inconsistencies in areas which haven't been skinned. I still believe Sense is incredibly better than TouchWiz. I've never seen Blur and whatever Sony's skinning is called.

This whole skinning thing is undoubtedly why OS updates take so longer to roll out. Does anyone know if the Huawei phones come with some skin? It's such a shame that it's so near impossible to get stock android experience aside from the Nexii.

RuGalz

Reading reviews of the one x and one s I gotta say it looks like HTC have delivered. Why no micro SD slot? I really hope this isn't going to be the norm for android phones. 32gb storage is nice but I still want the option to expand.

That's kinda where I stopped wanting one...

What's annoying me about new Sense is that although they looked at ICS and saw "oh that's how it's done" they don't appear to have properly read the design guidelines. Like, the bottom tabs here that's not what they look like with tabs.

I mean there's putting your own stamp on things and then there's annoying my OCD style guide sensibilities.

liger05

The Verge reported that while Sense 4 is a vast improvement, there are still some inconsistencies in areas which haven't been skinned. I still believe Sense is incredibly better than TouchWiz. I've never seen Blur and whatever Sony's skinning is called.

This whole skinning thing is undoubtedly why OS updates take so longer to roll out. Does anyone know if the Huawei phones come with some skin? It's such a shame that it's so near impossible to get stock android experience aside from the Nexii.

when are those Huawei phones out. They look sick!!

Also, apart from that GS3 leaked photo, has any other phone been shown with software buttons?

It strikes me as an expensive use of screen real estate. I'm guessing it'd be cheaper for manufacturers to go for smaller screen and strip of touch buttons, as opposed to bigger screen with onscreen buttons. If nobody else jumps on the bandwagon, I won't be disappointed.

/Galaxy nexus owner
// I accidentally hit there home button when typing this message. Stupid buttons.

Edit: were in ot community now? Can we piss and moan as the sports guys did? :p

Zeppu

It strikes me as an expensive use of screen real estate. I'm guessing it'd be cheaper for manufacturers to go for smaller screen and strip of touch buttons, as opposed to bigger screen with onscreen buttons. If nobody else jumps on the bandwagon, I won't be disappointed.

/Galaxy nexus owner
// I accidentally hit there home button when typing this message. Stupid buttons.

Edit: were in ot community now? Can we piss and moan as the sports guys did? :p

But did you see the mess which emerged from the HTC One ICS phones?
CQuyD.jpg

Look at the waste for a silly menu button.

But did you see the mess which emerged from the HTC One ICS phones?
CQuyD.jpg

Look at the waste for a silly menu button.

The silly thing is, there is already a menu button on the top right corner....
Hopefully this is a 'feature' exclusive to HTC phones, and everyone else is on top of things.

Zeppu

The silly thing is, there is already a menu button on the top right corner....
Hopefully this is a 'feature' exclusive to HTC phones, and everyone else is on top of things.

Exactly. YouTube is already ICS optimized. There no reason to have another menu button.

Wait, so the lack-of-menu-button-so-we-make one workaround, which I could just about live with if I used mainly ICS apps... but on an ICS app? Really? That's just shoddy.

killakiz

ICE CREAM SANDWICH BABY!!!! So excited right now. First thing I did was view the flying ice cream and download chrome.

I don't like the ICS camera icon.

tokkun

Flash the phone with CyanogenMod or some other AOSP ROM. It takes some technical knowledge, but I'd hardly call it impossible.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Well, I caved. My Desire battery is starting to give up the ghost, and it's painfully low on memory/storage. And since I was due an upgrade anyway, I'll take a 'free' HTC One X. Unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data for the same price I was paying already, and they're throwing in an HTC Medialink HD, a completely unnecessary toy, as part of the deal. :) Could have waited to see what the SIII has to offer, but the Desire has impressed the hell out of me, and the One X looks pretty solid too, especially couple with HTC's hacker-friendly policies.

Well, I caved. My Desire battery is starting to give up the ghost, and it's painfully low on memory/storage. And since I was due an upgrade anyway, I'll take a 'free' HTC One X. Unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data for the same price I was paying already, and they're throwing in an HTC Medialink HD, a completely unnecessary toy, as part of the deal. :) Could have waited to see what the SIII has to offer, but the Desire has impressed the hell out of me, and the One X looks pretty solid too, especially couple with HTC's hacker-friendly policies.

What're the contract details (operator/price etc)? Might as well keep a good match with you for another two years. My T-Mobile one is due for renewal... uh, now, so the second it comes available I'll go for it and see what I can haggle upgrade-wise.

Rather than the battery giving up the ghost here, I killed the USB port beyond repair so I use a battery charger. Not convenient but better than a non-removable battery.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
What're the contract details (operator/price etc)? Might as well keep a good match with you for another two years. My T-Mobile one is due for renewal... uh, now, so the second it comes available I'll go for it and see what I can haggle upgrade-wise.

Rather than the battery giving up the ghost here, I killed the USB port beyond repair so I use a battery charger. Not convenient but better than a non-removable battery.

It's the O2 1GB Data Unlimited On & On - 24 Months contract through Phones4U at £36/month and free phone. Everyone else seems to be charging a higher rate for this one - Carphone Warehouse wanted to charge an extra £5 a month, and to charge for the phone too. Called P4U and they tried to tell me it was a new contract only deal, but before I could try to persuade them otherwise they'd already told me they could do it at that rate. :)

Only downside compared to my old contract is that I used to be on unlimited data, which nobody really does any more. Will have to keep an eye on data usage when I'm away from home, I guess.

Zeppu

Flash the phone with CyanogenMod or some other AOSP ROM. It takes some technical knowledge, but I'd hardly call it impossible.

Oh don't worry, I've had Android since the HTC Hero, I've been doing this stuff for ages, but I can't tell everyone who sees my phone and exclaims how pretty and smooth it is that they should flash CM
even though I do tell them that

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Recently got an Optimus One (P500) and promptly flash ICS on it. This is my first time using ICS. Everything works well excepted for the camera and videos which isn't properly hardware accelerated. The later issue made me try an AOSP Gingerbread rom just for fun and then a revelation came to me: ICS is goddamn beautiful and the Gingerbread interface now seems "amateurish". I can't go back ;_;

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So I'm going to go for either the HTC One S or X depending on how much T-mobile offer me money off on my contract renewal on Thursday.

The real question is Pentile. Is it really that horrific and will make me stab my own eyeballs out in the two years?

Pentile's been a non-issue for me on my GN but that just may be because it's 720p and has a great DPI. Looks 99% as good as paper to me.

Galaxy Note ad called most effective commercial in Q1

Samsung's Galaxy Note promotion is going quite well.

A commercial for the device, called "The Best of A Phone And Tablet," was rated the most-effective ad during the first quarter of 2012. The commercial beat out Doritos's "Sling Baby" ad and the M&M's "Just My Shell" to take the top spot.

Ad effectiveness is a subjective measure. However, in order to give some clarity to the rankings, Ace Metrix asks for viewer reactions to commercials running on U.S. television. The respondents are asked to measure persuasion, relevance, watchability, and several other metrics. After collecting that data, Ace Metrix ranks ads on a 0-950 scale.

Samsung's commercial scored 686. The Doritos and M&M's ads tied for a score of 671.

"It will be very interesting to watch how Samsung's continually impressive ads affect the company's marketshare vis-?-vis competitors like Apple, which, this quarter, did not come close to measuring up to Samsung's advertising prowess," Ace Metrix CEO Peter Daboll said in a statement. "Samsung's top-ranked ad was particularly brilliant because it conveyed innovation and information without a narrator."

It's the O2 1GB Data Unlimited On & On - 24 Months contract through Phones4U at £36/month and free phone. Everyone else seems to be charging a higher rate for this one - Carphone Warehouse wanted to charge an extra £5 a month, and to charge for the phone too. Called P4U and they tried to tell me it was a new contract only deal, but before I could try to persuade them otherwise they'd already told me they could do it at that rate. :)

Only downside compared to my old contract is that I used to be on unlimited data, which nobody really does any more. Will have to keep an eye on data usage when I'm away from home, I guess.

Three does unlimited data still and at a pretty good rate too.

rozay

Banned
He must not have seen the Xperia S or an SAMOLED+ screen.

Nope, he's reviewed both. Sounds like it has better viewing angles than the Xperia screen and their SLCDs are more color accurate than AMOLEDs in my opinion.

Jonathan, the review mentions there's almost no difference in handling between the two phones, I'd go with the X.

thespot84

Has anyone managed to bring a water damaged GS2 back from the dead? I dropped it mid-flush last night and got it before it went all the way in. Took it apart, got rid of any water and left it to dry for 6 hours. Booted it up, pattern unlock worked ok but then I couldn't do anything on the homescreen. Packed in rice overnight, tried it this morning and it wouldn't even boot up, am I going to have to fork out for an expensive repair?

wash the board in deionized or distilled water, put in toaster oven at max operating temp (usually ~125F) for 4-6 hours.

Ephemeris

So I'm going to go for either the HTC One S or X depending on how much T-mobile offer me money off on my contract renewal on Thursday.

The real question is Pentile. Is it really that horrific and will make me stab my own eyeballs out in the two years?

My girl's overdue on an upgrade. After reading the reviews, I'll probably get the S, instead of waiting for T-mobile to get the X.

Then when my line comes around at the end of Sept, if T-mobile has the new Nexus, I'll cop that and give her the S.

I too am concerned about the Pentile display though.. :/

Ashhong

wash the board in deionized or distilled water, put in toaster oven at max operating temp (usually ~125F) for 4-6 hours.

eh????? I have never heard of putting a phone in a toaster oven.

6 hours to dry wasn't enough. You should have let it dry for days. Nothing you can really do now except keep it in that rice with the battery out and all that for a while.

Friend of mine is on Three, the speeds he gets on his 4S are ridonculous. 8mbs when out and about, he posted a Speedtest from his work toilet once with 4.5mbs. Meanwhile I'm on Orange and max out at 1.8mbs, and that's best case scenario.

Needless to say, I'll be switching to Three as soon as my contract is up.

(Course outside of major cities, its probably not the best option)

liger05

Three does unlimited data still and at a pretty good rate too.

Going to get it for my girl on three. Think its £38 a month for 2000 mins, 5000 texts, 5000 three to three mins and unlimited data.

The phone isn't out yet is it? I went into the 3 store today and they said Thursday or Friday?

JWong

Banned
On my Arc, I use to be able to press the front face buttons to bring the phone out of sleep mode.

Is there a setting I need to flip to do that on my Xperia S? Only the Power Button brings it out of sleep now. Not even the volume rocker will work.

thespot84

eh????? I have never heard of putting a phone in a toaster oven.

6 hours to dry wasn't enough. You should have let it dry for days. Nothing you can really do now except keep it in that rice with the battery out and all that for a while.

I've successfully resurrected a phone left in snow overnight this way and I'll be taking a crack at another here this week. As long as the phone isn't getting any power during the process it should be fine, since it's actually rated to operate at those temperatures. The distilled water is important (no messy metal ions floating around). Off course if the battery is crapped out just buy a new one, don't heat the battery.

ScOULaris

For my fellow Nexus S (AT&T) owners who have been suffering through the long wait for ICS, the day has finally come. Download the official 4.0.4 update package here:

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_crespoa/IEzMw3FU.zip

This is an upgrade from 2.3.6, so make sure you're running stock 2.3.6 GB on your Nexus S before trying to install the update. Otherwise, it won't work.

You don't need to be rooted or even have an unlocked bootloader for this package to install. Just rename the ZIP file to "update.zip," move it to your phone's SD root folder, then boot to stock Recovery and install the update.

I haven't run into any errors whatsoever so far, but you may need to reinstall certain apps to make sure they are updated to run properly with ICS. The performance is very snappy on the Nexus S, which is a relief. I immediately installed Apex Launcher and the Chrome beta after installing the update. Gotta love ICS. ;)

sangreal

ICS handles storage differently than previous versions of Android did. Google didn't put a microSD slot on the Galaxy Nexus for the same reason.

This doesn't sound right. The storage changes came around honeycomb 3.2 or something like that. External + Internal storage works fine on other devices running ICS (xoom, for example)

rozay

Banned
I use the menu button on my GS2 ICS all the damn time!
They're making it a point with ICS (and beyond) applications to have the menu button either displayed in the app as the 3 dots on the action bar or somewhere else. I'm fine with the idea because it's silly when you have to guess whether or not the app/screen you're in has extra options, but they should've went with on-screen softkeys to make it less ugly.

Why that youtube app has the menu button displayed on the bottom when there's one in the top right following the guidelines, I have no idea.

thats real?

there are no facepalms big enough
Apparently there is (or was) an option to remove the menu button from the screen and instead make a long press of the multitasking button work as menu. Not sure if it made it into final units or not.
This doesn't sound right. The storage changes came around honeycomb 3.2 or something like that. External + Internal storage works fine on other devices running ICS (xoom, for example)
I think we're going to see this setup become much more common now because it gets rid of the complaints people have about the way the system handles storage. It'd be nice if phones start shipping with 64GB, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom