• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

This doesn't sound right. The storage changes came around honeycomb 3.2 or something like that. External + Internal storage works fine on other devices running ICS (xoom, for example)

Yea sounds like a pretty dumb excuse. That's implying that every phone with ICS in the future won't have an SD slot.

They're making it a point with ICS (and beyond) applications to have the menu button either displayed in the app as the 3 dots on the action bar or somewhere else. I'm fine with the idea because it's silly when you have to guess whether or not the app/screen you're in has extra options, but they should've went with on-screen softkeys to make it less ugly.

Why that youtube app has the menu button displayed, I have no idea.

I guess I could live with that. But there are times, such as on the homescreen, where the option button comes in handy. Or in the middle of a full screen game or something.

rozay

Banned
Yea sounds like a pretty dumb excuse. That's implying that every phone with ICS in the future won't have an SD slot.

I guess I could live with that. But there are times, such as on the homescreen, where the option button comes in handy. Or in the middle of a full screen game or something.
I'm on the same page, the option button was a "feature" for me coming from iOS. I see why they're doing this though, and as long as apps don't compromise functionality by mapping it to the screen, I'm fine with it.

Menelaus

Banned
Not having an SD slot in the Galaxy sucks ass. Everytime you blow your phone away to jack with a ROM, you have to copy the content back over. Pain in the ass.

zedge

The One X looks pretty damn awesome. I may just jump off the Samsung ship here in the future. Really like what they did with Sense 4.0 also, it complements ICS much better than the shit effort Samsung has done with TouchWiz and ICS. Call me crazy but I prefer the skin, stock ICS looks rather blah to me.

Doopliss

The One X looks pretty damn awesome. I may just jump off the Samsung ship here in the future. Really like what they did with Sense 4.0 also, it complements ICS much better than the shit effort Samsung has done with TouchWiz and ICS. Call me crazy but I prefer the skin, stock ICS looks rather blah to me.
I'm not one to defend Samsung's customisations, but you can't compare the brand new Sense to the old TouchWiz that's been ported up to ICS.

Zeppu

Damn, this phone is making me angrier by the minute

k7O5K.png

I was sooooo impressed when I read the review this morning. Wtf were they thinking?

Edit: God bless the community.

Paul to the rescue once again:

F6V8E.png

The One X is now a decent phone. Rejoice.

zedge

I'm not one to defend Samsung's customisations, but you can't compare the brand new Sense to the old TouchWiz that's been ported up to ICS.

Why not? HTC is also upgrading their existing phones with ICS and Sense 3.6 which is still a better effort than Samsungs.

Circle T

You crazy.

Talon

One X looks like a great phone. The only thing that would definitely make me go stock is the app switcher.

Alas about the hardware buttons. I think the screen may push me towards this over the Lumia 900.

rozay

Banned
i still am amazed that someone would make a phone with hardware buttons and STILL have software buttons that take up screen space.
Regardless, you have at worst the same screen real estate as the galaxy nexus and the other 70% of the time more screen space.

It's a stupid way to approach the problem I agree, but we're going to see this happen for at least another year or year and a half.
Paul to the rescue once again:
The One X is now a decent phone. Rejoice.
As I said earlier, some people mentioned that HTC sales reps that had One series phones had this feature in the stock software. Not sure where it went.

JCX

One X looks good, but I don't trust an HTC phone where I can't buy an extended battery. I'll wait for the GSIII

Regardless, you have at worst the same screen real estate as the galaxy nexus and the other 70% of the time more screen space.

It's a stupid way to approach the problem I agree, but we're going to see this happen for at least another year or year and a half.
yeah, i think i'll wait for a phone that has more screen real estate than the galaxy nexus 100% of the time.

rozay

Banned
yeah, i think i'll wait for a phone that has more screen real estate than the galaxy nexus 100% of the time.
That's what simple tweaks like Paul's are for!

It's kind of shocking that I like this phone so much when the phones they put out the last 2 years were good but pretty average. The picture of the One X in white next to the white 4S in that Verge article is one of the few times I've actually felt the iPhone looked dated.

Talon

That's what simple tweaks like Paul's are for!

It's kind of shocking that I like this phone so much when the phones they put out the last 2 years were good but pretty average. The picture of the One X in white next to the white 4S in that Verge article is one of the few times I've actually felt the iPhone looked dated.
That Leica look is pretty timeless, but the One X is the best looking phone to come out yet. I much prefer its look to the Galaxy Nexus, and the very generic by comparison SII.

Good thing I have a month to decide between the Lumia 900 and the One X with my plan.

rozay

Banned
The only real downside to the design is that the white back will get discolored and marked in ways that glossy white plastic won't.

Ashhong

I still dislike the bezel area with the ear piece. Everything about the front looks great except for that. It's the most dated looking part of the phone. Something about it just doesn't look right.

Lesiroth

I was almost seriously set on the One X, but.. I don't even..
I know custom ROMs will solve it and all, but I'm more disappointed in the fact that Sense 4 is still a bit too intrusive. They even had to change the multitasking screen.

Cipherr

The One X looks amazing for an HTC phone, and Sense 4 looks pretty damn great. That has GOT to be at least on par with TW on the Galaxy S2 in terms of being worth a daily driver. Its smooth and everything. Very good looking, and clearly much less bogged down by bullshit.

And that fucking screen. I thought I would never look at another screen that wasnt AMOLED+, but the screen on the One X is amazing. Shame about the 1800 mAh battery.

Well, we havent seen what Samsung is going to do with TW on their new flagship. Thats a bad comparison you are making. TW on the S3 will be different to the upgrade for the currently released phones.

Yup, this... Thats not a fair comparison.

Well, I caved. My Desire battery is starting to give up the ghost, and it's painfully low on memory/storage. And since I was due an upgrade anyway, I'll take a 'free' HTC One X. Unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data for the same price I was paying already, and they're throwing in an HTC Medialink HD, a completely unnecessary toy, as part of the deal. :) Could have waited to see what the SIII has to offer, but the Desire has impressed the hell out of me, and the One X looks pretty solid too, especially couple with HTC's hacker-friendly policies.

Please come back and tell us about the screen after you get yours. The black levels were goddamn impressive looking in the HD video review on engadget, and the viewing angles rivaled Amoled. Its honestly like a dream come true considering how much better the whites are on LCD. I was pretty much writing HTC off, but they seem to have really delivered with the One X.

It doesnt have a large enough battery for me, and its unibody so no extended which sort of kills any hope that I would get one, but its is clearly a fantastic phone. Much more than I expected, they really took the ass whipping Samsung gave them last year to heart.

tokkun

Not having an SD slot in the Galaxy sucks ass. Everytime you blow your phone away to jack with a ROM, you have to copy the content back over. Pain in the ass.

The Engadget review mentioned that the One X's internal storage is partitioned into separate system and user spaces, so it ought to be possible to format the system partition and leave the user partition intact.

Meh. Its not the non removable that's a problem, its an 1800mah non removable

We'll have to wait and see how the battery life looks on the US version running on the S4. The One S seemed to have quite good battery life despite having a lower capacity battery, but we don't yet know how much is due to the smaller screen and how much is due to the different SoC.

Lesiroth

At this point, the amount of hype for the GSIII is just crazy. I wonder how Samsung will deliver; if I had to guess I'd say they'll play it safe.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Eh? My /sdcard/ directory always stays intact.

This is actually not true. Anything in /sdcard is left alone when you do a wipe, because /sdcard is the "virtual" microSD card which is there so old apps don't break.

JCX

That chassis wouldn't look as sleek with removable battery. Same with the Lumia 900.

I understand, the phone looks amazing, but I'm on my third HTC phone, and they all have had awful battery life. A beautiful phone is useless if it's dead.

rozay

Banned
At this point, the amount of hype for the GSIII is just crazy. I wonder how Samsung will deliver; if I had to guess I'd say they'll play it safe.
They will. It'll be a great phone but expect to hear a lot of whining along the lines of iPhone launches. Can't blame them if that happens though, they really brought their A-game with the GS2.

Lesiroth

They will. It'll be a great phone but expect to hear a lot of whining along the lines of iPhone launches. Can't blame them if that happens though, they really brought their A-game with the GS2.

On the hardware side, I wouldn't expect many surprises honestly(Quad-core Exynos, 720p screen, onscreen buttons are possible too). I'm rather curious however about the software side, whether they'll take HTC's approach and get it closer to stock or will they take the incremental upgrade approach.

The SGS2 will probably produce a lot of satisfied customers; it's not very common to have a phone not only staying relevant but competing with upcoming flagships a year later.

gcubed

The Engadget review mentioned that the One X's internal storage is partitioned into separate system and user spaces, so it ought to be possible to format the system partition and leave the user partition intact.

We'll have to wait and see how the battery life looks on the US version running on the S4. The One S seemed to have quite good battery life despite having a lower capacity battery, but we don't yet know how much is due to the smaller screen and how much is due to the different SoC.

Bigger screen and LTE

zedge

Yup, this... Thats not a fair comparison.

It is fair to compare it to sense 3.6. Which imo is a nice refresh for ICS on existing phones, unlike the pretty much untouched touchwiz. Samsung didnt even include the damn ICS folders.. its still the old vanilla looking ugly ass folders you have to add manually to your homescreen for petes sake..

Al-ibn Kermit

wash the board in deionized or distilled water, put in toaster oven at max operating temp (usually ~125F) for 4-6 hours.

What sort of toaster oven are you talking about? All the ones I've seen can go over 400° Fahrenheit. They operate at the same temperatures as a regular oven.

So I would not recommend throwing a phone in there even if you just set it at 125F because that's basically as low as it can be set in order to turn on. I'm assuming you're probably talking about a different sort of toaster.

quaere

Switching to Android next week, my brother is giving me his Galaxy S. I'm done with iOS, can't even transfer 4 new songs without wiping off the whole music on the iPhone because new songs are on another computer as my old iTunes library. Let's hope Android can do better.

My brother was frequently complaining about his phone being slow, my guess is due to a lot of bloatware installed there. Any tutorials how I can wipe the phone and install a clean ROM of Android OS?
The community ICS releases on the Vibrant are actually more mature than the official Cyanogen 7.x (Gingerbread) releases in my opinion. Don't know about the other Galaxy S devices but I imagine its similar.

thespot84

What sort of toaster oven are you talking about? All the ones I've seen can go over 400° Fahrenheit. They operate at the same temperatures as a regular oven.

So I would not recommend throwing a phone in there even if you just set it at 125F because that's basically as low as it can be set in order to turn on. I'm assuming you're probably talking about a different sort of toaster.

I'm talking about max operating temp for the phone, not the oven. It's listed in the phone manual. My toaster oven can maintain 125F without issue. Be sure to use a toaster OVEN:
toaster-oven.jpg

not just a toaster:

220px-Toaster.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The community ICS releases on the Vibrant are actually more mature than the official Cyanogen 7.x (Gingerbread) releases in my opinion. Don't know about the other Galaxy S devices but I imagine its similar.

I have found CM7 on my Vibrant a far better experience than any ICS build I tried.

tino

Banned
Next time anyone drop the phone in water, remember to put it in rice for at least two days not a few hours. I learnt it the hard way too.

If you put the battery back in too soon... time to buy a new phone.

quaere

I have found CM7 on my Vibrant a far better experience than any ICS build I tried.
My experience with the latest stable CM7 and it seems nothing much has changed on the 7.2 release candidate:

- GPS basically completely non-functional (15-30 minute lock times on occasion)
- Google Voice crashes when sending text messages on wifi after an extended period of inactivity (such as overnight)
- Google Navigation can not be started directly, causes infinite vibration until restart - have to go to Maps first then find the destination and press navigate
- Auto brightness is very dark in darker indoor settings, much darker than a phone's auto brightness typically would be
- Volume increments on hard keys are much larger than expected - my voice calls are either too soft or too loud
- Fails to unlock from sleep once every few days
- Occasional crash on incoming phone call

I'm sure some or all of these can be worked around with additional hacking, and some probably happen on some phones and not others. But I do not have ANY of these issues on Passion ICS 13.1 right out of the box - just flash and go.

Polari

Just flashed an IDEOS X5 with ICS... oh my god. ICS flies on this thing compared to the stock Gingerbread ROM with its hideous skin. No lag that I have noticed and browsing with Chrome is pretty quick. Google needs to figure out a way to work with handset and component manufacturers to make it easy for people to update and install whatever on their phone. With ICS this is a great device, with the Huawei ROM it's dreadful.

Next time anyone drop the phone in water, remember to put it in rice for at least two days not a few hours. I learnt it the hard way too.

If you put the battery back in too soon... time to buy a new phone.

:( I'm hoping against hope that I haven't fucked it permanently. I'm leaving it in rice until the weekend and I'll go from there.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
htc.jpg

Did the likes of HTC's One X and One S catch your attention? Well, those looking for something with a seasoning of Sprint might interested in the phone nestled in the middle. According to Pocketnow, this is a press shot of the HTC Evo One, supposedly packing a 4.7-inch 720p display, a dual-core Snapdragon processor and LTE capabilities. We have our reservations on that name (Evo HD?) and those slightly dated style lines, but know that the Now Network and HTC are primed to show off something tomorrow. Rumors add that a 2650mAh battery and (hopefully intelligently placed) kickstand could also be part of the offering. Expect to hear some definitive answers at Sprint's big reveal -- we'll be there.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
evasmart5s.jpg
evasmart8s.jpg

If someone offered you the chance to buy a Neon Genesis Evangelion NERV-branded phone, you'd jump at it right? After all, there's nothing better than pretending you live under constant threat of alien attack, or that the teenage clone of your dead mother could turn into a giant and... moving on. Sharp, NTT DoCoMo and Gainax teamed up to produce this SH-O6D with a custom case, new hardware buttons and a (as yet unfinished) skinned version of Gingerbread that resembles the readouts you're likely to see in the depths of Tokyo-3. See America? This is how you appeal to fans, by making the tiniest amount of extra effort, rather than just slapping a logo on the bottom of whatever regular handset you're selling.

LCL not included

Just got a refurbed Nook Color and rooted it and installed CM7. Pretty neat so far.

I tried installing CM9, and while I did like the experience and UI, the stability just wasn't there yet (which makes sense since CM9 hasn't reached a stable or RC state yet).

So until CM9 is ready, anyone have a good suggestion for a custom launcher that's more oriented towards tablets? ADW on Nook Color is just the same screen with more grid spots, LauncherPro doesn't really cut it for tablets and it doesn't help that the project is pretty much abandoned at this point. Ideally I'd like the same support for a 4x5 grid (maybe a couple more slots), but widgets and icons scaling up more gracefully.

gcubed

ICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm surprised that it was only a jump to 2.9% on the latest google report. I though with it hitting international GS2's that number would spike up. Well, i guess their next report we should see a pretty big jump if everything that is on the schedule for April hits.

i'm surprised that it was only a jump to 2.9% on the latest google report. I though with it hitting international GS2's that number would spike up. Well, i guess their next report we should see a pretty big jump if everything that is on the schedule for April hits.

Yeah it should be quite large. I've got a Sensation on stock Vodafone. Loads of people have been getting their updates in the last couple of days. The SE update for the Arc and Arc S comes out in 10 days as well so that will also push the ICS figures up. The problem is that there are still phones launching with Gingerbread today, Google messed up the ICS launch to give a massive leg up for their own Galaxy Nexus hardware they fucked over their OEM partners. I feel like Google need to step it up for 5.0 or they will lose a lot of the good will they have built up with manufacturers and consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom