• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Que? Where did you hear this and why would it bother google?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...rative-for-developers-than-google-play-store/

like it says in the article, it is yet another thing that shifts power away from google. Do you guys seriously sit there and be naive to think that google is fine with being that little guy solely responsible for releasing updates every now and then. They want to be IN this.

In fairness, even Apple, which makes a lot more from the app store than Google, has said that the revenue from iTunes is basically irrelevant in terms of overall revenue.
it's not about money. It's about power. About ecosystem. Goes deeper than just oh google doesn't make as much money off their own shit as someone else.

Forbes:
More importantly, it could shift the power in the Android ecosystem further out of the hands of Google, which has backed Android primarily to boost its mobile advertising revenues. Like Apple, Amazon is trying to build a complete ecosystem around its platform, but plans to make money by selling digital content instead of hardware. If it is able to get its Appstore on more Android devices by other manufacturers, it can generate additional revenue without taking a hit by selling its own hardware at a loss.

Also for a company that makes very little money from android, app store revenue would be welcome for them as opposed to apple where it's no big deal.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...rative-for-developers-than-google-play-store/

like it says in the article, it is yet another thing that shifts power away from google. Do you guys seriously sit there and be naive to think that google is fine with being that little guy solely responsible for releasing updates every now and then. They want to be IN this.

it's not about money. It's about power. About ecosystem. Goes deeper than just oh google doesn't make as much money off their own shit as someone else.

Forbes:

Well, they are reacting, they're releasing a direct and cheaper competitor to the Kindle Fire, they're consolidating their stores into one big brand, etc etc. What exactly would you want them to do?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
must bother google an insane amount to read that the amazon app store makes more money than their own. Or to see that Samsung IS android (basically), not google.

All I'm saying is it's a bit ridiculous to deny that google doesn't feel some sort of need to involve themselves more in their work.

Well, they own Motorola now. I mean, it's pretty much vertical integration all the way up and down now.

Blackhead

Redarse

Forbes:

Also for a company that makes very little money from android, app store revenue would be welcome for them as opposed to apple where it's no big deal.
The source of that article
http://blog.flurry.com/bid/83604/For-Generating-App-Revenue-Amazon-Shows-Google-How-to-Play
does not prove that the amazon app store makes an insane amount of money more that the google market. It takes one limited metric, in-app purchase for 'top' apps, and tries to extrapolate that as the 'revenue potential' for developers on the platform. Laughable analysis. Developers on Android make most of their money from ads. Even if the Amazon app store raised more money by paid apps, Google wouldn't be bothered because they prefer free apps using their ads. How about we compare the revenue generated by iAds with the revenue generated by Google mobile Ads?

Well, they are reacting, they're releasing a direct and cheaper competitor to the Kindle Fire, they're consolidating their stores into one big brand, etc etc. What exactly would you want them to do?

Well, they own Motorola now. I mean, it's pretty much vertical integration all the way up and down now.
I know and that's what the article covers mostly. They are making or have made these initial investments. It's about time to clamp down and finally execute on their long game, and that has to be to have control on the entire ecosystem (or uhh AN ecosystem), along with their own phones that they fully control and can easily support, and so on.

The source of that article
http://blog.flurry.com/bid/83604/For...le-How-to-Play
does not prove that the amazon app store makes an insane amount of money more that the google market. It takes one limited metric, in-app purchase for 'top' apps, and tries to extrapolate that as the 'revenue potential' for developers on the platform. Laughable analysis. Developers on Android make most of their money from ads. Even if the Amazon app store was raised more money by paid apps, Google wouldn't be bothered because they prefer free apps using their ads. How about we come the revenue generated by iAds compared with the revenue generated by Google mobile Ads?
but it's an important metric to extrapolate because it goes to show how many people simply have their master cards and whatnot already invested into the amazon eco-system, and it's clearly showing in their app store as well by the number of in-app purchases. I think it's an important extrapolation.

Google has indicated in the past that all this is a problem, despite them hiding from it, so clearly they are planning something. But hopefully what they're planning is significant enough to take them to that next level. And they have to thing big/long game.

but it's an important metric to extrapolate because it goes to show how many people simply have their master cards and whatnot already invested into the amazon eco-system, and it's clearly showing in their app store as well by the number of in-app purchases. I think it's an important extrapolation.
It's an appalling metric. The Amazon store is pathetic compared to Google Play, in size and scope. I doubt many developers are getting more income from the former.

Blackhead

Redarse

Google has indicated in the past that all this is a problem, despite them hiding from it, so clearly they are planning something. But hopefully what they're planning is significant enough to take them to that next level. And they have to thing big/long game.
what?! ok you've lost me. We're obviously not in the same reality.

The flurry report still seems suspicious to me. Does Amazon even offer in-app purchases already? Are those developers using their own in-app purchasing systems just for the Amazon appstore?

It's an appalling metric. The Amazon store is pathetic compared to Google Play, in size and scope. I doubt many developers are getting more income from the former.
but the point is, people are spending money in one. People aren't spending money in the other.

Google needs to reach the point where they have an ecosystem that people's moneys are naturally attached to, and making purchases becomes an extremely common thing. That will always attract the most quality developers as iOS already does.

what?! ok you've lost me. We're obviously not in the same reality.

The flurry report still seems suspicious to me. Does Amazon even offer in-app purchases already? Are those developers using their own in-app purchasing systems just for the Amazon appstore?
when I said hiding from it I meant every time someone brings it up, or brings up their acquisition of motorola and how they will be used, they go into full out denial mode, even though everyone knows they're lying through the teeth. Sometimes they have told the truth though, they frequently say fragmentation is no biggy but they've also admitted that it's a problem before. They flip flop. But we all know it bugs them, they want all the power. They would LOVE to be apple (who wouldn't)....except do it all their way.

edit: and yeah it must be their own built in thing the devs implement or something. But it was widely reported (and no one took issue with it at all) so the news/study isn't made up.

overall point: android could be better, time for google to get errr done. I/O should be interesting. Especially after the flop that was the handset alliance thing or whatever that "agreement" was. And also the success of the kindle fire. Good show indeed.

but the point is, people are spending money in one. People aren't spending money in the other.

Google needs to reach the point where they have an ecosystem that people's moneys are naturally attached to, and making purchases becomes an extremely common thing. That will always attract the most quality developers as iOS already does.
People are spending far more money in the Play Store than the Amazon Appstore. Just not as percentages which is unsurprising since
1. Kindle users already have their credit card details in
2. Amazon Appstore is only available in one, rich country
3. Kindle Fire is a luxury product, which people will be searching out entertainment experiences for, rather than a phone

Find me some developers who are making more from Amazon.

People are spending far more money in the Play Store than the Amazon Appstore. Just not as percentages which is unsurprising since
1. Kindle users already have their credit card details in
2. Amazon Appstore is only available in one, rich country
3. Kindle Fire is a luxury product, which people will be searching out entertainment experiences in rather than a phone
well obviously the statistics are relative

but yeah, like your point number 1 says, amazon already has an entire ecosystem that a lot of people already have, and are completely comfortable with, their credit cards being in it. It's important.

must bother google an insane amount to read that the amazon app store makes more money than their own. Or to see that Samsung IS android (basically), not google.

All I'm saying is it's a bit ridiculous to deny that google doesn't feel some sort of need to involve themselves more in their work.

and the Amazon Appstore is US only!

well obviously the statistics are relative

but yeah, like your point number 1 says, amazon already has an entire ecosystem that a lot of people already have, and are completely comfortable with, their credit cards being in it. It's important.
And also very small compared to Play Store. In any case it isn't hard to submit your app to both anyway, so there's no reason for any sort of defection by devs.

In my experience Google Play is both far more profitable and a far more pleasant experience to use. The metric is utterly inconsequential to me, and also totally unsurprising and shouldn't be of any worry to Google in my opinion.

And also very small compared to Play Store. In any case it isn't hard to submit your app to both anyway, so there's no reason for any sort of defection by devs.

In my experience Google Play is both far more profitable and a far more pleasant experience to use. The metric is utterly inconsequential to me, and also totally unsurprising and shouldn't be of any worry to Google in my opinion.
it's similar to iOS vs play store. Yes they share lots of apps (though the android ones are worse at times), iOS still has a ton more actual quality apps and that's because people spend money there. It's not worth their effort to port to android. That's what a lot have been saying.

So that's the fear with amazon, the last thing google would want is amazon getting more better apps because people are comfortable spending their money there. I agree the play store is much better, from what I've seen the amazon app store looks fugly. But google needs to find a way to make an ecosystem where people are comfortable investing themselves in like they do apple's and are starting to do in amazons. The fact that amazon is limited to only the US, doesn't change things since the stats are relative. Might even make it more impressive :p

it's similar to iOS vs play store. Yes they share lots of apps (though the android ones are worse at times), iOS still has a ton more actual quality apps and that's because people spend money there. It's not worth their effort to port to android. That's what a lot have been saying.

So that's the fear with amazon, the last thing google would want is amazon getting more better apps because people are comfortable spending their money there. I agree the play store is much better, from what I've seen the amazon app store looks fugly. But google needs to find a way to make an ecosystem where people are comfortable investing themselves in like they do apple's and are starting to do in amazons. The fact that amazon is limited to only the US, doesn't change things since the stats are relative. Might even make it more impressive :p
I think Amazon would have to offer big incentives for a dev not to publish a popular app/game on Google Play. The market is just so much more massive.

And no it makes it less impressive, I'm sure Google's percentage would be higher if you only considered the US.

Cipherr

The fact that amazon is limited to only the US, doesn't change things since the stats are relative. Might even make it more impressive :p

This is hilarious, I would love to know how exactly you figure that it makes it MORE impressive.... If anything it makes it drastically less impressive.

tino

Banned
Shot in the kneecap right out of the gate.
Verizon only do exclusive top end phone (usually from Moto). The last few HTC top end phones were not on Verizon either. Why are you surprised? You are on Verizon and you don't know this?

tokkun

That doesn't make sense. Porting between iOS and Android requires changes to the code, so there is an engineering cost. This same cost doesn't exist between Android and Google marketplaces.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Verizon only do exclusive top end phone (usually from Moto). The last few HTC top end phones were not on Verizon either. Why are you surprised? You are on Verizon and you don't know this?

Been on Verizon for barely two weeks dude. :p

I'm just saying it's hard to say a phone is AAA without (a version of) it being on the largest carrier with the best 4G network.

Lesiroth

"So you Android losers got Instagram now?? Smh..Now I know how male-supremacist felt when women were first allowed to vote..."
Dafuq

dream

I wish my friend Coco was unbanned so we can discuss the post-mortem about Papermill. There's some pretty interesting stuff here.

The intial response, especially on Reddit, was mixed. While people liked the user-experience and design, they felt $4 was too much for an Android app, especially when added to the Instapaper subscription account it would require as a third-party app. 16 units were sold on the first day, 4 on the second. This fit my rough expectations for pick-up.

I was contacted and interviewed by David Pierce of The Verge, a general tech blog, regarding Papermill on Friday, March 23rd. He published the ensuing review shortly after our interview. It remained the featured story on site for the majority of the weekend.

BeautifulPixels, a site highlighting design in applications and sites, published a design-centric review on March 25th.

Lifehacker, a site predominantly about optimising your life, published a short review of the app on March 27th.

While all 3 drove traffic and sales, The Verge was by far the largest influence, with new installs peaking at 107 on both the day of its publication and the one following.

As of Friday March 30th, Papermill has been on sale for 3 weeks and has sold 411 units at ~$4.00 USD on Google Play, resulting in $1630.12 gross sales. The net revenue after market fees is $1140.00. 79 orders have been cancelled or refunded.

Media coverage and sales of Papermill have already far exceeded my expectations and I can’t envision either increasing. With this in mind, it’s easy to conclude that the the application, with its current price and need for a subscription, will never generate a profit, especially when costs like fonts still need to be incurred. If I were to create a 'freemium' or ad-based version, the app’s profitability would almost certainly increase but I believe that this would decrease the quality of experience that the app offers and that is rare on the Android market.

rozay

Banned
Fucking terrible, but to be honest the subscription fees are probably what turned more people off than the $4 asking price. PowerAMP has a hell of a lot of sales with a $5 unlocker.

edit:I am completely ignorant as to how many people subscribe to the iPhone version, so the above might be false. Is there any data for that?

dream

Well, the Instapaper subscription is only a dollar a month (billed in $3 installments).

I don't know how representative this is of anything since heavy Instapaper users are probably using the iOS client. There's an interesting footnote though: he's only sold four (4!!) copies on the Amazon AppStore vs the 411 on Google Play.

Well, the Instapaper subscription is only a dollar a month (billed in $3 installments).

I don't know how representative this is of anything since heavy Instapaper users are probably using the iOS client. There's an interesting footnote though: he's only sold four (4!!) copies on the Amazon AppStore vs the 411 on Google Play.
What was I saying?

dream

I've wondered why you would bother with instapaper when you can use ReaditLater or Readability for free/cheaper.

Am I missing something or do they not perform the same purpose?

No, they do the same thing. I just use Instapaper because my work flow is already designed around it and I like the guy who makes it.

giga

I've wondered why you would bother with instapaper when you can use ReaditLater or Readability for free/cheaper.

Am I missing something or do they not perform the same purpose?
Are all twitter clients the same if they serve the same purpose?

zbeeb

Are all twitter clients the same if they serve the same purpose?

fair point, especially if you're already using the service elsewhere.

yep. Android user.

I bought ReaditLater almost a year ago now and use it daily. My point isn't that you can use an inferior product and pay less. My point is that you have products that offer just as good an experience at a cheaper pricepoint. Why would you pay more if you're just as happy with a cheaper alternative?

Circle T

Why am I not surprised to see a trollish reply from MG to that post? This is the type of shit that makes me want to give up cell phones as a hobby, and just go back to using a flip phone for calls. Such stupid, petty crap. Oh no, Instagram is on Android. Oh no, some website gave a phone a bad review. Why the fuck can't people just be happy with stuff any more?

I bought ReaditLater almost a year ago now and use it daily. My point isn't that you can use an inferior product and pay less. My point is that you have products that offer just as good an experience at a cheaper pricepoint. Why would you pay more if you're just as happy with a cheaper alternative?
i was joking.
I got Read It Later Pro for free on the Amazon Appstore.

Fatalah

That's the best logo EVER!

Update: Though, a slight head tilt is a welcome addition.

roboto.png

zbeeb

i was joking.
I got Read It Later Pro for free on the Amazon Appstore.

haha it went straight over my head then!
bastard :(

In other news, just updated to latest AOKP for my S2. Video recording is in (though I never needed it anyway), updated to 4.04 and it's more stable than ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom