• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Copernicus said:
My account wasn't approved until around April.

yes, i knew you came in like something halfway through the thread... and quite frankly its what helps me accept the fact that i posted a lot... i posted nowhere near the frequency you did.

edit... some mindless self indulgence just came on my google music random... its what i imagine jtwo listens to when he goes on his benders.

I've followed android since google bought it, I also bought an original edge iPhone on week 2, and have gotten a 3G and a 4 as time has passed. ICS looks quite badass and now Im thinking about getting a new phone this holiday season.

With that said, go android go, yay competition!

f0rk

This probably isn't known, but the Nexus S will get the full Ice Cream Sandwich update around the Prime launch right?

gcubed

f0rk said:
This probably isn't known, but the Nexus S will get the full Ice Cream Sandwich update around the Prime launch right?

unknown, but it took about 2 months for the N1 to get gingerbread after the Nexus S launch

they give some incentive to get a new phone, i wouldnt expect it before the end of the year, this way if it comes in december you can be happy

gcubed

Gamer @ Heart said:
Whats everyones guess on the xoom ICS update? Is it still the unofficial 'nexus' of honeycomb development?

so far, unless they announce a new tablet at the event. Have no idea... like i said above, i'm going into it with the assumption i wont get anything until january, this way an update this year will be exciting

DrFunk said:
Also, for tradition (and embarrassment)
Top 3!

BALLIN'

1498v7o.jpg

wait.. wrong gif...

joaomgcd

If anyone is interested, for those who use foursquare a lot, I've made a little app to make checking in easier.

You can create shortcuts on your homescreen for 1-touch ckeckins, or use the Tasker app (for those who don't know, it's one of the best android apps out there) to checkin. With tasker, automation is really really flexible and I thought it would be a good match for foursquare checkins.

You can also use locale with it which is like a less configurable more user friendly tasker

If you're interested check it out here:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.joaomgcd.intents&feature=search_result

Hope this shameless self-promoting is not seen as a bad thing... :)

Chorazin

Cudder said:
It's in beta right now, you can get it from their official site. Official 2.0 release sometime in mid October. :)

Ah, we'll then I'll just wait for the full release if it's only a week or so away.

Has anybody tried the so-called leaked music app from ICS ? (cf. XFA Forums). Apparently it reads FLAC well.

I rooted my phone, and having a firewall is really great. Nope NOVA2, you can't access my sms, my phone number or my IMEI, u mad ?

I also saw an Ubuntu port for SGS2...now that is funny.

Ok after finally sorting out the Nexus S Driver issue that had been bugging me for a while, updating the Android SDK and downloading the latest version of Android Commander I managed to get the new music apk installed by pulling the old one, pushing the new one and re-booting.

And you guys are right it's damned smooth. It wasn't like the old one was terrible but this is much much better. Super quick, responsive and only a tiny initial stutter when loading the album art for the very first time. On the old APK whenever you zoomed down the list with the album art it would start stuttering whilst it reloaded the images. Big improvement. I'm impressed. And the 3D side on view is smoother than ever....Has anyone tried installing this on their rooted tablet?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
gcubed said:
so far, unless they announce a new tablet at the event. Have no idea... like i said above, i'm going into it with the assumption i wont get anything until january, this way an update this year will be exciting
",""types """""types yttrium 6.

Edit: whoa! My phone just typed this and posted it without my input. Omgggg.

Tribes of Trusty said:
Has anybody tried the so-called leaked music app from ICS ? (cf. XFA Forums). Apparently it reads FLAC well.

Wow. Massive if true. No gapless playback though. Just tested that.

EDIT: Confirmed. FLAC working on stock music player. A lot of people are going to love that! Just need to get gapless in place and stock is pretty much there.

W1SSY

I just semi bricked my captivate for the first time. Not a good experience, but luckily I got it up to stock gingerbread.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wait didn't the music player already play flac?

womp

Gamer @ Heart said:
Holy Shit. Awesome drop is amazing. I googled how to music on my phone, and a random message board post suggested it.

Invest some time into Subsonic and free your music.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WEIRD, maybe it was a feature of a rom or something? I SWEAR I've had a flac album in the stock music player. It was on 2.2, too. Will star! Gapless playback is much needed.

Jtwo said:
WEIRD, maybe it was a feature of a rom or something? I SWEAR I've had a flac album in the stock music player. It was on 2.2, too. Will star! Gapless playback is much needed.

It might have come in the updated app post honeycomb that allowed you to stream Google Music. But that was still in Gingerbread era. Non stock roms such as CM have supported FLAC for a while. Check the link..

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/11/android-finally-gains-native-flac-support-starting-with-android-3-1/

Husker86

Maybe I haven't seen the light but what is so nice about gapless playback?

I'll star it though, choice is never bad!

Husker86 said:

Say you are listening to an album where one song is supposed to segue directly into another (for example the first couple of tracks from Marvin Gaye's What's Going On). It's how the artist intended it, It's how it worked on vinyl and CD. But it isn't supported on Android so there's always a half second gap between songs which is really off-putting when you are using to hearing it flow as one piece. If you are serious about the authenticity of your music (and many audiophiles and music lovers are) then it is pretty much unforgivable.

Chris R

Husker86 said:

Never tried to listen to some Floyd huh? Pink Floyd without gapless playback is just terrible.

giga

Husker86 said:

Gapless playback means that there is no pause in playback between the end of one audio file and the beginning of the next audio file. This allows for playback of content with no gaps the way it was meant to be heard. Some examples of gapless albums include:

- "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd
- "Abbey Road" by The Beatles
- Many live and classical albums

Husker86

OriginalThinking said:
Say you are listening to an album where one song is supposed to segue directly into another (for example the first couple of tracks from Marvin Gaye's What's Going On). It's how the artist intended it, It's how it worked on vinyl and CD. But it isn't supported on Android so there's always a half second gap between songs which is really off-putting when you are using to hearing it flow as one piece. If you are serious about the authenticity of your music (and many audiophiles and music lovers are) then it is pretty much unforgivable.
The Faceless Master said:
well, if you're listening to an album that was designed to be listened straight thru, it actually plays correctly instead of having gaps in between tracks. like how Ignition blends into the Ignition remix on that R. Kelly album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHH9Sk0v89U -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLQwalX6TUA
rhfb said:
Never tried to listen to some Floyd huh? Pink Floyd without gapless playback is just terrible.
giga said:
Gapless playback means that there is no pause in playback between the end of one audio file and the beginning of the next audio file. This allows for playback of content with no gaps the way it was meant to be heard. Some examples of gapless albums include:

- "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd
- "Abbey Road" by The Beatles
- Many live and classical albums

Ahhh, that makes sense, thanks all. I haven't bought an entire album since I was like 17 (8 years ago) :( I used to add them to my list when I had Zune Pass since I didn't care if a couple of the songs weren't to my liking but I'm a tight-ass now.

zoku88

Husker86 said:

In addition to what the other guy said, suppose that you have a song that's an hour long (like the first or second part of Symphony No 8 by Mahler.)

Instead of one stupidly long track, you could have 6 or 7 medium length tracks so its easier for listeners to get to sections they like.

zoku88 said:
In addition to what the other guy said, suppose that you have a song that's an hour long (like the first or second part of Symphony No 8 by Mahler.)

Instead of one stupidly long track, you could have 6 or 7 medium length tracks so its easier for listeners to get to sections they like.
or with a lot of DJ mixes of stuff, it's one long mix, but many times split into multiple tracks

3phemeral

I'm really loving the new ICS music player. Not only does it feel smoother, they finally added the option of choosing thumbs up/down to your songs. That always irritated the hell out of me because I rarely ever use the desktop cloud player. Overall feels easier to navigate, especially with the shuffle and repeat buttons included on the same row as the controls, versus taking up album-art space.

I don't recall this being in the original, but you can select "Stream high quality"? I could be wrong, I've never spent much time in that menu.

kehs

Banned
Where are people seeing "stream high quality"?

Also my thumbs up aren't linking up to the music.google.com database.

edit: woa, wtf.

Just like that I got new settings. Looks like they actually pushed an update. lol

3phemeral

Copernicus said:

It's in the settings. The original music file only allowed you to access this area when you were in the top menu area, but it appears all you have to do is press the menu button, select "settings" and viola. It's the area where you see:

Google Account
Hide Unavailable Music
Cache Music
Stream music via Wi-Fi only
Refresh
Download via wi-fi only
Download queue
Open source licenses
Help
Music Version
v4.0.1.501

[edit] Yeah, and it's not syncing with my account. Boo. It's fine, I guess. I'm currently re-tagging and reorganizing everything in my music folder, so I'll be purging this once that's done.

[reedit] Looks like it finally synced. I was having trouble with the original one not syncing my playlists, but I just checked a few minutes ago and suddenly they're there.

Husker86

Copernicus said:

edit: woa, wtf.

Just like that I got new settings. Looks like they actually pushed an update. lol
Took a while for my account settings to show up too.

Does rooting my device and installing the ROM of ICS when it eventually comes out create any kind of trouble for me on the carrier end in terms of insurance coverage and customer support?

I just got an GSII on AT&T yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom