• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I came in way late into OT2 (I don't even think I posted much in OT1 at all, lol.)

Will be interesting to see the totals on this thread...

+1

zedge

Anyone know of an app that is kind of similar to the iOS do not disturb feature? I'm on call at work and I want to keep all calls, email, text, etc notifications on silent while I sleep except for just one phone number which I want my phone to ring for.

At least I think this is how the do not disturb feature works.

Are you on stock?

Wouldnt need an app if you had a Samsung with Touchwiz. Do not disturb built in. ;)

Sorry.

vdlow

So, apparently,we will have the option to sort the app drawer by favorites in 4.3

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/0...rawer-sorting-by-favorites-or-alphabetically/

Site Myce.com dug through code found in a project on the Linux Foundation Labs, noticing there to be mentions of sorting apps and widgets either alphabetically or by favorites. Currently, the stock Android app drawer only lists each alphabetically, so this change would at least allow for better control over the maze that can be dozens of installed apps. They noticed that the system will count each time an app is opened, which could mean that the “Favorites” tab will be populated automatically. The same goes for widgets.

I did a quick search and I think this app does what you're looking for. Haven't used it so I can't say, but hey, it's free.

Maybe Tasker can do that but you'd have to set it up yourself.
Thanks I'll give these a look.
Are you on stock?

Wouldnt need an app if you had a Samsung with Touchwiz. Do not disturb built in. ;)

Sorry.
Yes on stock.

What is this touchwiz you speak of? lollll ~_~

SimleuqiR

Anyone know of an app that is kind of similar to the iOS do not disturb feature? I'm on call at work and I want to keep all calls, email, text, etc notifications on silent while I sleep except for just one phone number which I want my phone to ring for.

At least I think this is how the do not disturb feature works.

Silencify?

read about it but never used it, i have a flagship mobile handset from Samsung that has Android TouchWiz with Blocking mode built in.

Though 3rd party launchers have way of organizing and sorting apps, I love the idea of the phone keeping tabs on my most used apps. This way it will be even easier to determine what apps should still be installed on my phone. Will make for a much cleaner device.

don't Apex and Nova have a sort by most used setting?

ILoveBish

I wont buy a android phone that can't do 2 apps at the same time. I use twitch + chrome side by side almost every day, there is no going back once you have that.

Guy from Android and Me is posting stuff about X Phone on Google+. Take with a grain of salt but I saw it on reddit.

https://plus.google.com/110694450299661318989/posts/RSvJQoLXMEc

More upper-mid-range. The leaks about MSM8960pro and 720p display were correct.

You can customize the case material and its color. You will also be able to customize the software options (wallpaper, apps, ringtones, etc.) before the device ships using an online portal.

Available in August. Price range is unknown, but around $299 OR LESS unlocked. Yes, close to stock Android with quick updates. Screen will be 4.x-inches with 720p resolution.

Special sauce will be "always-on" listening mode and contextual awareness actions. Think Google Now phone actions on steroids.

lolworthy?
Rumored casing materials include plastic, metal, wood, and carbon fiber

Talon

Sounds like an evolution of Moto's "Smart Actions," which were always a well-liked function.

It'd be stuff like automatically playing music when you plugged in a headphone.

Matugi

The unlocked part makes no sense if the Moto exec himself said he wants it to be widely distributed, because that eliminates Verizon and Sprint customers. They probably have certain pre-configured options available to people who are looking to get one on contract.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Rumored casing materials include plastic, metal, wood, and carbon fiber

sFbWOCB.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Probably just means a wood-paneled back (with plastic underneath I'm guessing.)

coldfoot

Banned
Having a small problem with Nook HD+ with CM 10.1
It works fine on its own, but the magnetic cover I got for it causes the screen to not wake up properly, and thus some random reboots. I need to disable the active cover feature. How do I go around doing that?

equap

Banned
concerning Google Play Music, I like to keep all the music on my phone because I don't have unlimited data and my service is pretty spotty some places. so is there a way for me to back up the music so when i flashed a new version of aokp or whatever, I don't have to download allll the music again.

Talon

I actually really dig Motorola's version of the soft touch plastic from my old RIZR (yes, I bought that shit unlocked off eBay for $500) days.

I'd love to buy a blue, matte phone. Basically, an 8X with Android.

xptoxyz

I actually really dig Microsoft's version of the soft touch plastic from my old RIZR (yes, I bought that shit unlocked off eBay for $500) days.

I'd love to buy a blue, matte phone. Basically, an 8X with Android.

Either you mean Moto or I have no idea what you're saying.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Hey guys!

I'm most likely switching to an Android phone today. I've been on 2nd tier OS's so far (maemo and windows phone), so this is a big step for a Nokia countryman like me. I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Is this the right place to ask for some sort of "must-have" settings and/or apps in Android to make the experience better? Any tips and tricks regarding Android or Galaxy S4 would be appreciated, thanks!

Hey guys!

I'm most likely switching to an Android phone today. I've been on 2nd tier OS's so far (maemo and windows phone), so this is a big step for a Nokia countryman like me. I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Is this the right place to ask for some sort of "must-have" settings in Android to make the experience better? Any tips and tricks regarding Android or Galaxy S4 would be appreciated, thanks!
It can be, although the community is often divided on key issues. Are you getting the Google Edition S4 through the Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=samsung_galaxy_s4)? I'm guessing not, although I'd personally recommend it, so the following is based on the plain Samsung one you get through a carrier.

I'll try to give uncontroversial advice:

* Set up Google+ or Dropbox or both to automatically backup your photos; each of these apps will offer you the choice upon logging in. This way, you never have to worry about losing your pictures.

* Try a "launcher" like Nova or Apex. They allow you to customize your homescreen (usually to make it neater) and have a lot of looks you can play around with.

* Change the raindrop sound effect that is the default on the S4 for touching things. It will drive you crazy.

* my favorite apps include Duolingo for learning a new language, Business Calendar for different calendar widgets, Osmos for playing a pretty relaxing game, Google Play Music for access to all my music, Hangouts for group/picture messaging, NFC Task Launcher for auto switching settings based on NFC tags or WiFi. These are just to name a few.

Controversial advice:

* Root your device and flash the Google Edition 4.3 image onto the phone, advice and instructions for which you can find here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
It can be, although the community is often divided on key issues. Are you getting the Google Edition S4 through the Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=samsung_galaxy_s4)? I'm guessing not, although I'd personally recommend it, so the following is based on the plain Samsung one you get through a carrier.

I'll try to give uncontroversial advice:

* Set up Google+ or Dropbox or both to automatically backup your photos; each of these apps will offer you the choice upon logging in. This way, you never have to worry about losing your pictures.

* Try a "launcher" like Nova or Apex. They allow you to customize your homescreen (usually to make it neater) and have a lot of looks you can play around with.

* Change the raindrop sound effect that is the default on the S4 for touching things. It will drive you crazy.

* my favorite apps include Duolingo for learning a new language, Business Calendar for different calendar widgets, Osmos for playing a pretty relaxing game, Google Play Music for access to all my music, Hangouts for group/picture messaging, NFC Task Launcher for auto switching settings based on NFC tags or WiFi. These are just to name a few.

Controversial advice:

* Root your device and flash the Google Edition 4.3 image onto the phone, advice and instructions for which you can find here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Thanks! Those launcher apps seem interesting. I'm from Finland, so the Google Edition phones are not available here yet. I'm getting a plain one, without a contract.

Any "necessary" power saving tips or other stuff that I should be aware of with the phone?

Thanks! Those launcher apps seem interesting. I'm from Finland, so the Google Edition phones are not available here yet. I'm getting a plain one, without a contract.

Any "necessary" power saving tips or other stuff that I should be aware of with the phone?
My opinion is that, no, you shouldn't have to worry about the settings on your phone because you want the phone working to make your life easier, not you working to make your phone better at it's job... get what I'm saying?

But I guess it depends on how long you need to go without a charger. With moderate use, the S4 has a big enough battery to go from morning till evening. If you need longer, or if you're using it more actively, there are apps like Greenify, which is pretty well reviewed, that keep background tasks in check.

Also, in case you're interested in that Google Edition phone (it's much more likely to get prompt updates to the Android OS) I can get one for you and ship it. Obviously that would take a lot longer than you buying it tomorrow, so understandable either way :) Good night and have fun.

I just read through the last pages of OT2, the Moto X stories broke right before we jumped to OT3. The news never made its impact!

Pctx, where are you?!

the news made the impact that it deserved. maybe even more. but if you REALLY feel that way... new thread for new news!? Motorola X PHONE AD LEAKS

Avtomat

Big Moto X news items tonight --- where is everyone?!

1.) A Verge exclusive that will put Verizon customers at ease: "Moto X will not be a Droid on Verizon"

2.) A huge print ad running in this morning's NY Times, Washington Post, USA Today, and WSJ:

Moto_X_ad-558x1024.png

Just looking at this picture is it a coincidence that the guy is making a giant 'X' shape whilst jumping in and the woman an 'I' or a '1'? Maybe it will be called the MOTO XI or X1 or whatever I am just high or drunk or something

Groof

Just looking at this picture is it a coincidence that the guy is making a giant 'X' shape whilst jumping in and the woman an 'I' or a '1'? Maybe it will be called the MOTO XI or X1 or whatever I am just high or drunk or something

This actually makes a helluva lot of sense lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom