• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
So what's everyone transitioned to post Google-reader? Still can't find a great replacement.

Blink feed on my One is what I'm currently relying on

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
So what's everyone transitioned to post Google-reader? Still can't find a great replacement.

I started using Press with Google Reader, so it's what I'm accustomed to, and since the only free RSS service Press is currently compatible with is Feedly, I've been using that. I've read a few complaints that Feedly's web layout is too much a departure from Google Reader, but I'm almost always using Press, so I never interact with it. Feedly also has its own app, but it's a bit too busy.

Groof

I've moved on to Press+Feedly as well. I was on Google Currents for a while, but I recently switched back. Will probably stick to this for the foreseeable future.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I started using Press with Google Reader, so it's what I'm accustomed to, and since the only free RSS service Press is currently compatible with is Feedly, I've been using that. I've read a few complaints that Feedly's web layout is too much a departure from Google Reader, but I'm almost always using Press, so I never interact with it. Feedly also has its own app, but it's a bit too busy.

Yep. Just using Feedly as a backend for Press. It's like Google Reader never died. It just got old and decrepit, which explains Feedly Cloud's slow syncing speeds.

What telepathic news service are you using?
WZJYJC3.png
don't tell anyone

lolmark

I'm interested in getting an Android tablet to replace my iPad2. I was thinking about scooping a Galaxy Tab 3 7", but is it worth it to wait for the rumored 2nd gen Nexus 7?

kinggroin

Banned

I've moved on to Press+Feedly as well. I was on Google Currents for a while, but I recently switched back. Will probably stick to this for the foreseeable future.

Yep. Just using Feedly as a backend for Press. It's like Google Reader never died. It just got old and decrepit, which explains Feedly Cloud's slow syncing speeds.

My only gripe with these services is widget quality. I only really want something that intelligently organizes a scrollable headlines setup. Everything I've tried chooses flash over function and will have one frickin image at any given hour. At least blink feed is quickly scrollable, even though I have to use its pre-chosen news sources. Ugh.

Doopliss

I'm interested in getting an Android tablet to replace my iPad2. I was thinking about scooping a Galaxy Tab 3 7", but is it worth it to wait for the rumored 2nd gen Nexus 7?
The original Nexus 7 is better than that thing, so yeah you should probably wait.

android tablets are 99% percent garbage. the 1% is pretty much the nexus 7 and maybe that new sony one lol.

Avtomat

Has anyone put any thought into what could seriosly be coming in this MOTO X?

Designed by you? OK got it, what aspects will be customisable?

If we cross reference the leaks for where the leak on the customisable design came from months ago, what else was said?

The MOTO page also says the next billion people getting a smart phone are targeted so it would have to be cheap if it is indeed targeting developing countries where a shit ton of people are going to come online soon. On the other hand didn't Dennis Woodside say it would be going up against the iPhone 5 and Galaxy et al, how is that meant to be a cheap device?

I am confused - is MOTO X a range of devices, that have a kind of common denominator, where you can customise screen size, resolution and battery size but CPU and RAM are fixed heck those should only account for ~ $80 of the total price. Cos changing up the SoC means that different ones have different performance characteristics. But you have to have a crap SoC if you going for cheap, or maybe different devices all together tied by common Android platform and other web services tailored to each device.

If we cross reference the leaks for where the leak on the customisable design came from months ago, what else was said?

The MOTO page also says the next billion people getting a smart phone are targeted so it would have to be cheap if it is indeed targeting developing countries where a shit ton of people are going to come online soon. On the other hand didn't Dennis Woodside say it would be going up against the iPhone 5 and Galaxy et al, how is that meant to be a cheap device?

I am confused - is MOTO X a range of devices, that have a kind of common denominator, where you can customise screen size, resolution and battery size but CPU and RAM are fixed heck those should only account for ~ $80 of the total price. Cos changing up the SoC means that different ones have different performance characteristics. But you have to have a crap SoC if you going for cheap, or maybe different devices all together tied by common Android platform and other web services tailored to each device.
you're giving it too much credit, like recent rumours say you'll be able to customize case and also apps and stuff that come on the phone or something like that. Simply no way they are building individual phones to order with different screen sizes.

All in all it sounds like it's going to be a value oriented phone. I'm expecting a price of $249-$299 MAX. To separate from the pack I could see it having the best battery life of any smartphone which seems up motorola's alley.

So how does Google all access compare to Spotify in terms of selection? I'm trying out Spotify right now and the app seems pretty nice to me.

I'm also from Canada so there is a severe lack in options. Don't know if i can even get all access here whereas Spotify is pretty easy to get around.

Groof

As far as the customisation aspect of it goes, I'd wager it'll be nothing more than personalising the colours of it. I personally don't believe they'll let people customise the specs of it or screen resolution and whatnot. Maybe screen size, but I think even that's a stretch.

At THE MOSTTTT and this is really pushing it, they'll have two phones with two different spec sheets and from there you'll be able to pick the colour and apps and shit. But yeah zero chance they are letting people pick from a variety of screen sizes and specs. That's str8 loco.

Avtomat

At THE MOSTTTT and this is really pushing it, they'll have two phones with two different spec sheets and from there you'll be able to pick the colour and apps and shit. But yeah zero chance they are letting people pick from a variety of screen sizes and specs. That's str8 loco.

If all you can do is customise the colour Nokia have allowed me to do that since the 3210 why bother with an ad campaign at all.

But I agree SoC and screen are a big stretch maybe two distinct lines not too far apart in performance and customisable case not just colours but entire designs think user created drawings like tattoos and material finish and software customisation. Maybe the skin tattoo gets embedded in the software and wallpapers like too.

Gonna guess snapdragon 600 for SoC.

If all you can do is customise the colour Nokia have allowed me to do that since the 3210 why bother with an ad campaign at all.

But I agree SoC and screen are a big stretch maybe two distinct lines not too far apart in performance and customisable case not just colours but entire designs think user created drawings like tattoos and material finish and software customisation. Maybe the skin tattoo gets embedded in the software and wallpapers like too.

Gonna guess snapdragon 600 for SoC.
lol s600....the rumours all seem to pointing to the dual-core 1.7GHz s4 plus.

hence the low price. I was thinking that to make up the average specs they'll probably excel in battery life. We'll see though.

Groof

Probably because 90% of most smartphones these days come in black, and in some cases white. More colours have started popping up, but not to the degree there used to be.

Talon

I don't see different screen-sizes, but I can see them doing different panels.

Somewhere around 4.5". Either the Motorola soft touch plastic (in the vein of the RAZR M) and metallic option. I guess they love carbon fiber, so maybe that instead of the metal.

qHD for $249 <-I will slap the shit out of you, Moto.
720p for $299
1080p for $399

:jnc qHD

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Slow down dudes, it's only custom colors and engravings:

We've heard few details about Motorola's upcoming flagship smartphone since the firm's CEO teased the device at D11, but a full-age advertisement in several of the country's top newspapers today hinted at customizability, which ABC News has now confirmed. According to an article on the broadcaster's website, the device will be available in different colors, with an optional engraving. And, since it's due to be manufactured in Texas, the customized device will reach consumers within a few days of an order.

Customers will be able to select colors for both the back panel and the smartphone's side trim. Additionally, you'll be prompted to upload a photo that'll be used as the device's default wallpaper. Like traditional handsets, Moto X will also be available in retail stores, according to ABC's sources, though you'll need to order online if you want a non-standard configuration. We're still waiting on specification details, pricing and availability, but if today's ads are any indication, we can expect a formal launch soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/03/moto-x-smartphone/

Talon

Womp, Womp. Stern burn.

Pyro wins again. Might as well wait for the Nexus 5, then, no?

Although I prefer Motorola's build quality to LG's.

Talon

Slow down dudes, it's only custom colors and engravings:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/03/moto-x-smartphone/
Oh, way to bury the lede, Funk.

The biggest tricks of the phone come with what Motorola has been doing with the hardware sensors, sources say. Instead of having to fumble to find the camera icon or button, users will be able to flick the phone to launch the camera. There are also added voice capabilities, which leverage Google's advanced voice recognition technology. The phone is said to be smart enough to know when you are driving and will automatically launch the speakerphone function.

The phone will be the first that the company has worked on from start to finish since being acquired by Google in August 2011. Google's Android operating system is also developed in Mountain View, Calif.

ABC News

ajpw

kehs

Banned
The Moto X is basically gonna be testing grounds for all the creepy shit Google wants to do, but would be monetarily stupid to put out there as open source on android.

Womp, Womp. Stern burn.

Pyro wins again. Might as well wait for the Nexus 5, then, no?

Although I prefer Motorola's build quality to LG's.
lol it's the golden rule of android, when the rumours sound to good to be true they are 10000% of the time, when the rumours suck they are probably true.

But yeah. I want a phone with sick battery life and there's a good chance moto x will specialize in that but Iit'd be dumb not to wait to see the nexus 5 unless you were in a rush or something considering they'll be kinda close to each other.

Talon

The Moto X is basically gonna be testing grounds for all the creepy shit Google wants to do, but would be monetarily stupid to put out there as open source on android.
It'd be hilarious if the Moto X was "always listening."

For the record, I've always thought that Moto's smart actions were pretty cool.

kinggroin

Banned
Battery life would have to be magnitudes greater than current flagship devices to make the lowish end specs and goofy colors worth whatever they ask.

And I already manage over 5 hours on screen time with the ONE.

Talon

By the way, I think it's great that we now have Stock fragmentation between:

Nexus 4
HTC One Play Edition
Samsung GS4 Play Edition
Moto X

You can't stop the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom