• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I'm very confused.. I somehow managed to set my SGS4 Lock screen with a pattern unlock so that when I'm playing music with the default player, the widget appears in place of the clock on lock screen. I tried some other settings but now I can't seem to get it back to working like it was. :(

How can I have a music player widget with a pattern unlock?

By the way, I think it's great that we now have Stock fragmentation between:

Nexus 4
HTC One Play Edition
Samsung GS4 Play Edition
Moto X

You can't stop the train.

what stock fragmentation? the HTC has Sense Framework and the Samsung has TouchWiz Framework. i also expect the Motorola to still use the Motoblur Framework internally even if they lie and say blur is gone like they've been saying forever.

Al-ibn Kermit

Has anyone put any thought into what could seriosly be coming in this MOTO X?

Designed by you? OK got it, what aspects will be customisable?

If we cross reference the leaks for where the leak on the customisable design came from months ago, what else was said?

The MOTO page also says the next billion people getting a smart phone are targeted so it would have to be cheap if it is indeed targeting developing countries where a shit ton of people are going to come online soon. On the other hand didn't Dennis Woodside say it would be going up against the iPhone 5 and Galaxy et al, how is that meant to be a cheap device?

I am confused - is MOTO X a range of devices, that have a kind of common denominator, where you can customise screen size, resolution and battery size but CPU and RAM are fixed heck those should only account for ~ $80 of the total price. Cos changing up the SoC means that different ones have different performance characteristics. But you have to have a crap SoC if you going for cheap, or maybe different devices all together tied by common Android platform and other web services tailored to each device.

I think a $300 phone is about $200 too much for developing countries, and in that case customizing the software/resolution wouldn't be nearly as important as having amazing battery life, durability, and maybe dual-sim card slots. I'm guessing the new Motorola phone is meant to test the existing smartphone market and see if there is a desire for a very personalized phone.

I would be surprised if it wasn't a world phone though and the value will probably be unmatched even if it has mid-range specs. But I just don't see a middle class person in India or China dropping a month‘s salary on a phone that can easily break and requires a data plan to do anything their current cell phones can't do.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
So how does Google all access compare to Spotify in terms of selection? I'm trying out Spotify right now and the app seems pretty nice to me.

I'm also from Canada so there is a severe lack in options. Don't know if i can even get all access here whereas Spotify is pretty easy to get around.
I don't believe Google Play Music All Access is available in Canada (you need a US credit card), but I didn't have any trouble matching my Spotify library with Play Music. I ultimately chose the latter because it was $8 a month, as opposed to $10, and I was already familiar with the Play Music app.

Groof

what stock fragmentation? the HTC has Sense Framework and the Samsung has TouchWiz Framework. i also expect the Motorola to still use the Motoblur Framework internally even if they lie and say blur is gone like they've been saying forever.

I think that's his point. Even though it's stock on the surface, it's not on the inside. So basically there are fragmented versions of stock.

thespot84

conspiracy:

Moto X's disruptive capabilities have nothing to do with the hardware, or the software, only the price. A phone that sells unlocked for the same price as the flagships at the contract price will slowly break people from the shackles of their contracts, over time allowing for a graceful switch from the major carriers over to:

Google Wireless, powered by Google fiber.

Why couldn't, and shouldn't, google get into the cell tower backhaul business? While it's building out last mile capabilities to residences and businesses it would be trivial for google to provide fiber backhaul to existing wireless providers' towers in the same area. At that point, why not trade up to antennae, rent some spectrum and start providing service? Google went after white space in 2011, and hasn't done anything with it yet. They could throw in another wifi radio (and make the phone's battery life even worse) and then tell the carriers who own the spectrum to go pound sand.

Groof

but how are they any more fragmented than them not existing when the OEM versions use the same OEM framework?

Stock stock
Stock Touchwiz
Stock Sense
Stock Blur

four different versions of stock, which also would mean there OEM frameworks are also fragmented into
Touchwiz Touchwiz
Touchwiz Stock
Sense Sense
Sense Stock
Blur Blur
Blur Stock

SO MUCH FRAGMENTATION

Talon

conspiracy:

Moto X's disruptive capabilities have nothing to do with the hardware, or the software, only the price. A phone that sells unlocked for the same price as the flagships at the contract price will slowly break people from the shackles of their contracts, over time allowing for a graceful switch from the major carriers over to:

Why couldn't, and shouldn't, google get into the cell tower backhaul business? While it's building out last mile capabilities to residences and businesses it would be trivial for google to provide fiber backhaul to existing wireless providers' towers in the same area. At that point, why not trade up to antennae, rent some spectrum and start providing service? Google went after white space in 2011, and hasn't done anything with it yet. They could throw in another wifi radio (and make the phone's battery life even worse) and then tell the carriers who own the spectrum to go pound sand.
Wireless spectrum is heavily regulated, and the barrier to market is steep if not extremely painful.

But the starting assumption is sound. The path through fiber makes sense, as would wireless service. Bigger pipes at cheaper prices means more people using Google services.

I find the idea of Project Loon as a secondary net to be more palatable.

When it comes down to it, Google, Apple and even Microsoft would love to disrupt the carriers. Jobs effectively referred to them as market leeches.
Stock stock
Stock Touchwiz
Stock Sense
Stock Blur

four different versions of stock, which also would mean there OEM frameworks are also fragmented into
Touchwiz Touchwiz
Touchwiz Stock
Sense Sense
Sense Stock
Blur Blur
Blur Stock

SO MUCH FRAGMENTATION
Google's mission was to fragment OEMs. Mission accomplished.

kinggroin

Banned
Wireless spectrum is heavily regulated, and the barrier to market is steep if not extremely painful.

But the starting assumption is sound. The path through fiber makes sense, as would wireless service. Bigger pipes at cheaper prices means more people using Google services.

I find the idea of Project Loon as a secondary net to be more palatable.

When it comes down to it, Google, Apple and even Microsoft would love to disrupt the carriers. Jobs effectively referred to them as market leeches.

Google's mission was to fragment OEMs. Mission accomplished.

A divided enemy is easier to conquer?

Avtomat

I think a $300 phone is about $200 too much for developing countries, and in that case customizing the software/resolution wouldn't be nearly as important as having amazing battery life, durability, and maybe dual-sim card slots. I'm guessing the new Motorola phone is meant to test the existing smartphone market and see if there is a desire for a very personalized phone.

I would be surprised if it wasn't a world phone though and the value will probably be unmatched even if it has mid-range specs. But I just don't see a middle class person in India or China dropping a month‘s salary on a phone that can easily break and requires a data plan to do anything their current cell phones can't do.

To be honest just wanted to get the ball rolling with regard to speculation no one seemed that bothered any more and I was just a bit confused by the seemingly conflicting information of going up against flagships and being cheap.

I think the most likely specs for the thing are that 720P, 8960T customizable back thing that was leaked some time ago. EVleaks said its that and they tend to be pretty reliable.

I hope they are wrong and there are 2 versions with one version having the specs above and a 4.3 inch screen and another upgrading the screen to 5 inch 1080P and S600 maybe another $150 more. But that is just a dream on my part.

I think the real kicker with the phone will be the way they use sensors on it, Robert Scoble has been rambling about sensors for everything for over a year and I have caught little bits of news saying that a sensor revolution is coming but no one has wowed me yet. Samsung has dipped its toe in with the GS4 - temp, humidity, altitude and NFC tags but I mean all sorts of other sensors integrated onto the phone with some smart new software capabilities might well be the big one.

Did pctx not say in his hands on with the device that it would blow other phones away by what it would do and not the specs?

verbum

If they are planning on a 2014 release, I might skip the Nexus 5 and see if this pans out.

May 9,2013:

(CNN) -- For more than a year, there have been rumors that Amazon is working on a smartphone. Now, The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Amazon is actually working on two.
The Journal reported Thursday that Amazon is "developing a wide-ranging line-up of gadgets," including two smartphones, one of which will have a 3D screen. Citing multiple anonymous sources, the Journal says the 3D-capable smartphone will not require special glasses and may even let users navigate just by moving their eyes.
In addition to the two smartphone models, Amazon is also said to be working on a device for streaming music and a set-top box, the latter of which was also reported by Bloomberg BusinessWeek last month.
Amazon did not immediately respond to our request for comment.
Until now, Amazon's hardware efforts have centered around its Kindle e-readers and tablets. However, CEO Jeff Bezos suggested in an interview with AllThingsD in September that Amazon was planning to expand on its hardware offerings in the coming year. "We will certainly — not any time soon — but next year. We have some more things that we hope people will enjoy," he told the publication. "It's premature for me to talk about them."
While it's not particularly surprising to hear about Amazon working on a smartphone, it is a bit strange to hear news of a possible 3D-enabled device. Despite a fair amount of hype a couple years ago, 3D-technology has had mixed success at best in the consumer technology market.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/09/tech/mobile/amazon-phone-3d

Hope it's not just a "Kindle" smart phone. Kindle is the biggest selling Android tablet but I hope they have an unlocked phone offering.

kehs

Banned
So I'm a bit worried about how Google will merge hangouts and voice and possibly messaging.

I use those three things for entirely different purposes. I'd rather not merge my talk/g+ contacts with my voice contacts. There's a reason I started using a separate phone number....

Talon

So I'm a bit worried about how Google will merge hangouts and voice and possibly messaging.

I use those three things for entirely different purposes. I'd rather not merge my talk/g+ contacts with my voice contacts. There's a reason I started using a separate phone number....
Coppy, are you using your Google voice for Craigslist hangouts?

kehs

Banned
No comment.

I'm actually looking into moving my Google voice number to another account.

Everyone should look into it, its pretty funny. There's literally at least five "are you sure" prompts just inside the help section.

PARANO1A

What's the consensus on wireless chargers? I have a Nexus 4 and impulse bought the Nokia one. The technology sounds too futuristic for a geek to pass up so I'm hoping it works well.

kehs

Banned
I bought cheap shitty wireless charger from fast tech, and I love it. Not having to plug a phone in is amazing. Set it down...pick it up.

I can't wait these wireless charges are built into restaurant tables, bars, and furniture.

Pctx

Banned
conspiracy:

Google would buy T-Mobile and every other carrier would be f'ed.

Husker86

What's the consensus on wireless chargers? I have a Nexus 4 and impulse bought the Nokia one. The technology sounds too futuristic for a geek to pass up so I'm hoping it works well.
I got one when I got a Nexus 4 and now have an adapter card coming to put in my GS4 so it will work. They are pretty awesome.

No comment.

I'm actually looking into moving my Google voice number to another account.

Everyone should look into it, its pretty funny. There's literally at least five "are you sure" prompts just inside the help section.

i did that once. wanted to get a different number with a different area code and read that was an option to get it done for free.

vivftp

lol, I can imagine the minds at Sony Mobile and Sony Music getting together to figure out the best way to showcase the Xperia Z and its water resistant ablities in the quickest way possible. Hey, it works at least. Many people watching that video will wonder how the hell the phone is still working under water.

Groof

Really want to get one, but they're all so goddamn expensive.

Well, I'm downloading my free copy of Magna Carta Holy Grail.

Now that I have All Access, I could listen to Jay-Z's entire discography up to this album first if I really wanted to.

Which I kinda don't.

Liberating, isn't it?

I no longer have to YouTube Movie soundtracks.

It's kind of scary. I was randomly listening to some guy's Featured Playlist called "The Best of 2013 (So Far)" earlier today and it was going through some random stuff and suddenly I was listening to Black Sabbath. I was like, wait what? Black Sabbath in 2013? So I went and looked at the album and discovered that they had released a new album this year. More amazingly, despite the fact that they are all old (Ozzy Osbourne is 64!), the original 4 members of the band reunited to record the album titled simply "13". So I queued it up and listened to the whole album right then and there because I felt like it.

This All Access thing is nothing short of amazing.

this_guy

With the new Motorola X phone having all these customizable options, can you choose a 'good' camera? Every other Motorola phone has had a sub par camera.

Cheebo

Banned
With the new Motorola X phone having all these customizable options, can you choose a 'good' camera? Every other Motorola phone has had a sub par camera.

Based on reports the customization amounts to engravings and case color. Nothing spec based.

kinggroin

Banned
It's kind of scary. I was randomly listening to some guy's Featured Playlist called "The Best of 2013 (So Far)" earlier today and it was going through some random stuff and suddenly I was listening to Black Sabbath. I was like, wait what? Black Sabbath in 2013? So I went and looked at the album and discovered that they had released a new album this year. More amazingly, despite the fact that they are all old (Ozzy Osbourne is 64!), the original 4 members of the band reunited to record the album titled simply "13". So I queued it up and listened to the whole album right then and there because I felt like it.

This All Access thing is nothing short of amazing.

Mmhmm. Enough so that when I enabled and demonstrated the service on ny wife's phone, she asked if it was illegal. Heh.

If it truly does have industry leading battery life, then I'll be tempted for sure if it costs around $199. But regardless, might as well wait for the Nexus 5 and see what's going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom