• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just ordered an S4 from Verizon. It will be my first smart phone, but not first Android device so I know how to use Android a bit (I have an Android tablet/ E-Reader thing, but I didn't use it a ton). Anything I should know about the S4 or Android smartphones in general?
Just prepare to be amazed and remember to keep the battery charged... Just in case...

That's the joke.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I like my .hack Xth Form joke better.
FuqnPhm.gif

jokkir

When do you guys think the Note 3 will be released? Getting my S4 has been postponed and I thought I might as well wait for the Note 3 to come out instead.

my Note II doesn't let me change the channels and volume on my TV... but other than that, i'm good!

Is there actually some vast untapped market for people who want to control their TVs with unrelated devices? I mean, do people actually want to plug their cable box into their Xbox 180 and wave their hands to change channels?

Is there actually some vast untapped market for people who want to control their TVs with unrelated devices? I mean, do people actually want to plug their cable box into their Xbox 180 and wave their hands to change channels?
there's a difference between a giant ass box with motion gesturing that you have to chain your tv and the ability to use your mobile device as a remote.

do you know how hard it is to find the TV remote sometimes? i always know where my phone is.

Al-ibn Kermit

To be honest just wanted to get the ball rolling with regard to speculation no one seemed that bothered any more and I was just a bit confused by the seemingly conflicting information of going up against flagships and being cheap.
I think the most likely specs for the thing are that 720P, 8960T customizable back thing that was leaked some time ago. EVleaks said its that and they tend to be pretty reliable.
I hope they are wrong and there are 2 versions with one version having the specs above and a 4.3 inch screen and another upgrading the screen to inch 1080P and S600 maybe another $150 more. But that is just a dream on my part.
I think the real kicker with the phone will be the way they use sensors on it, Robert Scoble has been rambling about sensors for everything for over a year and I have caught little bits of news saying that a sensor revolution is coming but no one has wowed me yet. Samsung has dipped its toe in with the GS4 - temp, humidity, altitude and NFC tags but I mean all sorts of other sensors integrated onto the phone with some smart new software capabilities might well be the big one.
Did pctx not say in his hands on with the device that it would blow other phones away by what it would do and not the specs?

Well I mean even Samsung doesn't change the specs much between the Galaxy Note and S series. Having two versions with very different specs would confuse people a lot especially if you end up with different names on different carriers/countries.

Practically, I don't think 1080P panels make sense on anything above 5" inches, and the uneducated consumer which might imagine that they see a difference if you give them a spec to drool over, probably won't remember all the resolutions by the time they get to the Best Buy/carrier store. Remember that Android phones started outselling iPhones before any Android phone had a resolution above qHD. Screen size and color/brightness are probably more important.

I think whatever it's sensor stuff is will be appropriately weird but conservative by Google's standards.
So, no recommendations on the 3d camera phones?

I think the only ones so far are the dual-core HTC and LG phones that came out in 2011. But I think Amazon is rumored to be coming out with two phones soon where one of them will have a 3D screen (presumably it will also have a 3D camera). It should probably be out by the end of the year if you can wait and see.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
TBH I'd rather have good camera/battery than just about anything else at this point. Gimme 720p and 1 GB of RAM and I'd be fine if those were good.

I'm big on camera and battery, too. But 1 GB of RAM is inexcusable. Hell, my N4 with its 2GB still refreshes apps and Chrome on an annoyingly regular basis.

Groof

YouTube pre loading is a real near feature but it needs to work even when not plugged in to a charger.

HTC still circling the drain. MoM revenues are down 24% for June which basically means HTC One sales are slowing down and there are no products that became available to replace the losses. HTC have gone from having waaaaaay too many products in 2011 to having too few in 2013. Peter Chou just can't get it right.

If they wanted to bet the company on the high end then they needed to have better QC and a much, much slicker software experience. This strategy they have chosen requires Apple like levels of execution. It is clear that this has not been achieved. What's worse for them is that the competition only gets harder from here, with the earnings miss from Samsung they will redouble their efforts and Sony have seen good early results from their Z-series phones and will continue to expand that line up while Apple will continue to put out solid devices that the masses will buy in their droves.

Unless HTC start to compete properly with other Taiwanese and Chinese mainland companies in the low-end I don't see how they can continue to exist, the bottom is literally falling out for them right now and there is no support structure for them with strong holdover sales or strong low end sales. The One X and S are dead and the Butterfly barely made any impact and now the One has started trending down much faster than expected.

Nicktendo86

I was reading about HTC earlier and their revenue was spun as a good thing (Engadget I think). Are the mainstream press deluded?

I was reading about HTC earlier and their revenue was spun as a good thing (Engadget I think). Are the mainstream press deluded?

Well their initial profit estimate is up to ~ $50m for the second quarter, but there was a huge slow down in revenues in June that could destroy the July-Sept quarter. Also since it would be strange to launch high profile products in these months there is not so much opportunity for them to replace the income from falling One sales. The One Mini and One Max will probably come towards the end of the quarter with just two weeks of shipments included.

The One revenue bump lasted for three months (March, April, May) and even then they were not able to overtake last year's dismal performance. That shows since net profit is down from $250m in the same quarter last year. That, in addition to the slow down shows that the One was a purely internet phenomenon, the mass market didn't respond to Boom Sound and a smaller screen or Sense 5.0 which is what the markets will take on board for the next quarter's performance.

I also don't think their phone being on VZW or as a Google edition will make much difference at all. What we will start to see now is aggressive pricing as HTC try to maintain sales over the summer while they wait for the One Mini and One Max to release. Again the competition is going to be very strong this Q4 though, especially in the lucrative phablet sector, the Note 3 and Z Ultra are definitely the phablets to beat this Q4 and with rumours that HTC are sticking with S600 for their phablet I think it will be under siege from Samsung and Sony the day it releases.

I'm big on camera and battery, too. But 1 GB of RAM is inexcusable. Hell, my N4 with its 2GB still refreshes apps and Chrome on an annoyingly regular basis.

Never enough RAM.

However my N4 averages around 800mb used, and yes Chrome still refreshes for example. I guess it's more an OS issue, as is the battery usage (which can be improved a little with custom kernels), considering how small a battery the iPhone uses and what kind of usage you can get.

There is still things Google can/must improve on the OS level for a better experience, and battery life is definitely one of them.

Nicktendo86

Just walked past a phone shop in London. And they had a galaxy mega in the window... My god they are going too far now.

Husker86

So my Mom had to get her Sprint Epic 4G Touch (GS2) replaced and I helped her transfer everything and get it all set up. That phone is on 4.1.2?? I know it's not that long term of update support, but I am impressed by Samsung. Makes me feel more comfortable about my GS4, though I hardly ever keep a phone longer than 6-8 months so long term update support doesn't really matter to me.

So my Mom had to get her Sprint Epic 4G Touch (GS2) replaced and I helped her transfer everything and get it all set up. That phone is on 4.1.2?? I know it's not that long term of update support, but I am impressed by Samsung. Makes me feel more comfortable about my GS4, though I hardly ever keep a phone longer than 6-8 months so long term update support doesn't really matter to me.

Yup, a couple of screenshots for 4.2.2 leaked as well for the international I9100 GS2 as well so Samsung are looking good as top OEM for updates. I think ASUS are second (though they have a small product line up) and Sony are third, followed by HTC then LG are far, far behind.

I am using a Nexus 4 8gb while I try to get my Note 2 fixed. Samsung US and Samsung UK are both refusing to fix it.

How in god's name is 8 GB enough for anyone (other than people like my dad who just use the phone for Sudoku and email)?

PriitV

How in god's name is 8 GB enough for anyone (other than people like my dad who just use the phone for Sudoku and email)?

Stream music/videos instead of caching them on the phone, works well for me.
I'm not a big gamer on a phone, so this isn't an issue for me.

gcubed

as untapped as the $600 google experience phone market is.

A new source forwarded me some Moto X rumours, basically a rehashing of what we already know.

720p crap screen
8MP crap camera
Dual core 1.7GHz S4 LTE
"customisable"
2GB RAM
$299, free on GSM carriers with a two year commitment
non-US availability is not confirmed

The source said that the project is a complete mess and there has been too much interference from Google who want to drive software with cheap hardware, but Moto don't want to become a commodity player.

Futureman

how do I get my work calendar through Outlook to show up in the Calendar app on my Gnex? I have work Outlook email set up through the stock email app. When I go to "Calendars to display" my work account doesn't show up there. If I go to Settings in Calendar and click on my work account it says "No Calendars" even tough I definitely have one set up on my work computer in Outlook (Windows 7).

A new source forwarded me some Moto X rumours, basically a rehashing of what we already know.

720p crap screen
8MP crap camera
Dual core 1.7GHz S4 LTE
"customisable"
2GB RAM

The source said that the project is a complete mess and there has been too much interference from Google who want to drive software with cheap hardware, but Moto don't want to become a commodity player.
Would buy if it had a beefy battery. (and release in tier 2 countries)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Never enough RAM.

However my N4 averages around 800mb used, and yes Chrome still refreshes for example. I guess it's more an OS issue, as is the battery usage (which can be improved a little with custom kernels), considering how small a battery the iPhone uses and what kind of usage you can get.

There is still things Google can/must improve on the OS level for a better experience, and battery life is definitely one of them.

Agreed on all points. Having 2GB of RAM seems awesome until you realize webpages still refresh on an extremely regular basis with 1GB+ RAM still free. It's terribly annoying.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HTC still circling the drain. MoM revenues are down 24% for June which basically means HTC One sales are slowing down and there are no products that became available to replace the losses. HTC have gone from having waaaaaay too many products in 2011 to having too few in 2013. Peter Chou just can't get it right.

If they wanted to bet the company on the high end then they needed to have better QC and a much, much slicker software experience. This strategy they have chosen requires Apple like levels of execution. It is clear that this has not been achieved. What's worse for them is that the competition only gets harder from here, with the earnings miss from Samsung they will redouble their efforts and Sony have seen good early results from their Z-series phones and will continue to expand that line up while Apple will continue to put out solid devices that the masses will buy in their droves.

Unless HTC start to compete properly with other Taiwanese and Chinese mainland companies in the low-end I don't see how they can continue to exist, the bottom is literally falling out for them right now and there is no support structure for them with strong holdover sales or strong low end sales. The One X and S are dead and the Butterfly barely made any impact and now the One has started trending down much faster than expected.

Time for a Google buyout (bailout.)

HawkeyeIC

720p crap screen
8MP crap camera
Dual core 1.7GHz S4 LTE
"customisable"
2GB RAM

That's all fine, but the phone should have been out 6 months ago then.

Ephemeris

720p crap screen
8MP crap camera
Dual core 1.7GHz S4 LTE
"customisable"
2GB RAM

I'd still cop it.

720p crap screen
8MP crap camera
Dual core 1.7GHz S4 LTE
"customisable"
2GB RAM

honestly looks like a $249 to me. Also will lol hard if only available to america for a while.

No excuse for a huge company like google. They commit the same mistakes time and time again for what is years now. It should be better but it really hasn't improved a single bit.

They're just a slow and bad company when it comes to retail. Reminds me of shipping/stock issues for one product then the identical problem repeats for another. They just aren't goo at executing retail plans, like at all. And they don't seem to learn from past mistakes. They're like the nintendo of big mobile companies.

Wasn't the original nexus one phone also only available in america first? They just do it alllll the timeeeee.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've theorized elsewhere that the Moto X will be Google's "Nexus for Verizon." Not totally 100% stock (so closer to the Google Play version One/S4.) Not being on Verizon is killing their "stock marketshare" compared to skinned versions.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I remember saying Honeycomb was pretty garbage back in the day and AndroidGAF pounced all over me.

No excuse for a huge company like google. They commit the same mistakes time and time again for what is years now. It should be better but it really hasn't improved a single bit.

They're just a slow and bad company when it comes to retail. Reminds me of shipping/stock issues for one product then the identical problem repeats for another. They just aren't goo at executing retail plans, like at all. And they don't seem to learn from past mistakes. They're like the nintendo of big mobile companies.

Wasn't the original nexus one phone also only available in america first? They just do it alllll the timeeeee.

Not just the devices too. A lot of Android services are gimped as hell in Canada. Google Now isn't as useful as it is in the US and Music is non-existent.

Question: I can't seem to be able to mark and save my current location in Google Maps. I would have thought that would be a basic feature.

I just want to be able to quickly save the GPS coordinates of wherever I am, and to be able to navigate to it at a later time.

Do I need a separate app for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom