• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmincer

The Z3+/Z4 is a terribad phone. Has the same SD810 as the Z5, but without the improved cooling solution. It gets crazy hot during usage and drains the shit out of the battery.
The Z5C has the great advantage of a low res display, meaning the SoC isn't particularly stressed.

It was ridiculously cheap so I got it. It's fine except for the heating thing.

Nikodemos

I know I've said this before but I wouldnt spend anymore than 300 bucks on an 808/810 phone at this point. I just don't see a z5c holding up a couple years down the road.
The Z5C is roughly equal to several other newer phones with stronger SoCs due to the very low res (720p) display. 820 flagships with wtfpwnHD displays need to push out on average about 4x the amount of pixels with only about 2.2x more processing power. Also, it's better than pretty much any other 810 phone, processing-wise.

But yeah, I wouldn't recommend any other 810 phone (even less an 808), save maybe for the Lumias to dedicated MS fans.

Though Sony need to be more proactive with firmware fixes. Lollipop busted WiFi sleep and they did nothing. Marshmallow busted STAMINA and they're apparently still working on it.

I think european versions do not have FM radio. Maybe due to exynos soc?

I do not understand why locking some features is a thing. It does make no fuckin sense.

right, it's been a built in feature on Snapdragon SoC's for a while.

lots of the things US carriers do make no sense.

thenexus6

So my Z1 compact is on its way out. I found the Huawei P8 Lite unlocked new for £90 - good purchase? I will be using nova launcher so won't see the horrible looking interface.

Seems like a nice phone build wise at least.

I don't need anything special in a phone so mid-tier is good for me.

Mr. Hyde

So jelly. I heard the latest update tremendously improved the camera.

Loving the phone! Thankfully, my sim card from my iphone 6 didn't get damaged so things went smoothly. The phone's UI is amazing. It has enough of a balance between my old iphone and android that I figured it out in just a few minutes. The speed of the phone is faster than my iphone 6, so that was unexpected. Plex seems to work better as well on this phone. I'm thankful that I didn't experience the camera prior to the end of April update because it's very snappy now. There is no slow down to anything.

So, I have no complaints about the transition to android so far. We will see as time goes.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So is there a suitable car charger for the 5x/6p yet? I'm seeing all sorts of information on whether something works with the fast charging/type c port.

Watevaman

I don't know anything about benchmarks and things for phones, but is there even a matchup between the BB Priv and the GS7? I'm gonna be getting a new phone in two weeks (posted earlier about the GS7 when I thought I my contract was up) and I only recently found out about the Priv. I like the idea of the physical keyboard but if everything else is shitty on the Priv, I'll just stick to getting a GS7. I also don't want to risk getting a phone that's not gonna get updates, but I guess that's more on the carrier.

kharma45

I don't know anything about benchmarks and things for phones, but is there even a matchup between the BB Priv and the GS7? I'm gonna be getting a new phone in two weeks (posted earlier about the GS7 when I thought I my contract was up) and I only recently found out about the Priv. I like the idea of the physical keyboard but if everything else is shitty on the Priv, I'll just stick to getting a GS7. I also don't want to risk getting a phone that's not gonna get updates, but I guess that's more on the carrier.

S7 is much better

Dazzla

The Priv is solid. It's a snapdragon 808, doesn't overheat and is plenty fast enough. They've been the fastest in security updates, although not in OS updates. They're just updating to marshmallow now. Their take on android is pretty great actually, it looks fairly stock but has some great modifications. Keyboard is a fairly personal thing. I liked it but felt it was a tad narrow coming from a spacious BB Passport.

The S7 has speed, looks and camera going for it. I don't personally like the fragile design or touchwiz. Depends what your priorities are, I would suggest you try if you can.

Eanan

Ulefone Future has to be the best bang for buck phone out there right now, at €180 for the preorder.

Them bezeless sides

vDaIdTj.png

Quasar

One thing I have noticed with my 5x that I guess is a android issue with the fingerprint reader is that it still asks for a pin sometimes unlocks. More often than ios, which is just on reboots. Not sure why. Anyone really understand this at all?

Groof

Ulefone Future has to be the best bang for buck phone out there right now, at €180 for the preorder.

Them bezeless sides

vDaIdTj.png

fingerprint sensor on the side yet separate from the power button... interesting decision.

looks damn cool though

edit: looks like it's going to end up at $270. early pre-orders were cheaper at $200 but those are sold out

Them bezeless sides

vDaIdTj.png

because the Sharp Aquos phones sold gangbusters...

not to mention the last few times a non-Sharp device looked like that in promo shots, they were shopped.

Any deals for S7 Edge unlocked? Might wanna go that route instead of using Jump on Demand.

Doesn't look like it right now. Usually the unlocked one is the international version though, so you get an exynos processor instead of snapdragon 820 and you won't get wifi calling or samsung pay.

longdi

Banned
Have you guys even seen the back of that phone? It's hideous.

Yap and s7e continues to beast it. I come to appreciate the curved screen even though I have accidental presses and sites with menus at the edges are a bit of pita.

But at least I can get a 5.5" screen that is more than manageable with one hand and I get to chat up with some girls asking about how this phone goes.

I need help from the Android community.

Google Maps is driving me bonkers. I've set my phone language to my local country language (Danish) in the hope of getting local turn-by-turn voice navigation in Google Maps.

Here's the thing, I don't get voice navigation. Google Maps just says "Ding" whenever I'm supposed to stop, turn or do something.

So the conclusion would be, that there is no support for turn-by-turn in my language.

But. If I remove all updates to Google Maps and start a navigation route, I get voiced turn-by-turn navigation like everything worked as intended. Then Google Maps updates and I'm back to "Dings" whenever I want to go somewhere.

I should note, that this only happens when I want biking turn-by-turn. When it is car navigation, it's fully voiced in my local language.

So, is my phone funky, Google Maps or should I just factory reset everything?

No Love

Banned

Google Maps is driving me bonkers. I've set my phone language to my local country language (Danish) in the hope of getting local turn-by-turn voice navigation in Google Maps.

Here's the thing, I don't get voice navigation. Google Maps just says "Ding" whenever I'm supposed to stop, turn or do something.

So the conclusion would be, that there is no support for turn-by-turn in my language.

But. If I remove all updates to Google Maps and start a navigation route, I get voiced turn-by-turn navigation like everything worked as intended. Then Google Maps updates and I'm back to "Dings" whenever I want to go somewhere.

I should note, that this only happens when I want biking turn-by-turn. When it is car navigation, it's fully voiced in my local language.

Clear cache and delete data on the app.

Moreche

Been using my S7 Edge for the last week and the whole experience is sublime.
The screen,design,hardware and software ate fantastic.
Comibg from apple devices and ios9 feels like a huge step forward.
If youre on the fence about this phone, get it.

It is just app. Have you tried here maps from nokia?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Any way to be sure that my phone's camera is dead? It hasn't been working for a couple of months already.

Groof

wtf, the new Google keyboard is God-tier! Bye SwiftKey...

it really is quite good. been on it for a few days now. only thing that still annoys me is when switching to a google keyboard language that's not part of the main one. the transition is jarring compared to the imbedded languages

reKon

Banned
Man Tab S2 is so nice. It's incredibly light as well. The back feels nice too I wonder why they don't use that material on their phones?

I've praised this tablet a lot (which just got MM finally), and no one seems to really care. It's easily one of the best android tablets and was a great upgrade from my Nexus 7. I've also thought about what a phone made of this material, with the metal frame would be like.

I've praised this tablet a lot (which just got MM finally), and no one seems to really care. It's easily one of the best android tablets and was a great upgrade from my Nexus 7. I've also thought about what a phone made of this material, with the metal frame would be like.

like a Note 4.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
it really is quite good. been on it for a few days now. only thing that still annoys me is when switching to a google keyboard language that's not part of the main one. the transition is jarring compared to the imbedded languages
Better than Fleksy? I guess I should check it out.

No Love

Banned
Better than Fleksy? I guess I should check it out.

TBH Fleksy's GIF search function etc are awesome but typing on it sucks. For someone like me that types really fast, Fleksy can't keep up, keys are too small, etc. I love it but they need to tweak it a bit. Back to Google Keyboard I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom