• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

omg_mjd

If I root my LG G4 will I be able to install apps to my SD card right away (without having to install any additional tool or app)?

My sister is turning 30, thought I'd get her a new phone since her current one is a bit beat up and getting sluggish (that isn't unusual since she has an anti-technology field that causes everything around her to bog down and eventually break). She's on an HTC One XL currently, but I'm having trouble finding out what kind of phone that was originally. Was it a high end offering when it launched? Roughly how much did it cost?

Second question - what are the current best offerings in terms of both "absolute" best and best value?

VanWinkle

I returned my Zenwatch 2 to Amazon and got a Samsung Gear S2. Just got it in tonight. The fit, size, style, screen and interface navigation via the rotating bezel are sooo much better.

But I miss some stuff about the Android Wear software. Facebook, for instance, allows you to view the comments or replies people make to a post, instead of just the notification that there WAS a comment or reply on the Gear S2. Facebook Messenger on Android Wear shows the message thread instead of just the last message that was sent. Those are the big two that I already really miss, but I haven't had it long enough to tell anything else.

Basically, it seemed like interactivity with notifications was a lot better on Android Wear, but I may have only just scratched the surface on the Gear S2 and not given it the proper judgement.

jiggle

Is there really no way to check unlock status for android for free anymore?
Both the imei,info website and app are not working :(

linkboy

My sister is turning 30, thought I'd get her a new phone since her current one is a bit beat up and getting sluggish (that isn't unusual since she has an anti-technology field that causes everything around her to bog down and eventually break). She's on an HTC One XL currently, but I'm having trouble finding out what kind of phone that was originally. Was it a high end offering when it launched? Roughly how much did it cost?

Second question - what are the current best offerings in terms of both "absolute" best and best value?

The One XL released in 2012, that thing is a dinosaur.

How much are you willing to spend, any preference on screen size, etc.

The Nexus 6P, if you're looking for the best value, is a fantastic phone. The Nexus 5x isn't that bad either.

What carrier is she on, and what country are you in?

The One XL released in 2012, that thing is a dinosaur.

How much are you willing to spend, any preference on screen size, etc.

The Nexus 6P, if you're looking for the best value, is a fantastic phone. The Nexus 5x isn't that bad either.

What carrier is she on, and what country are you in?

Telstra, Australia.

Price range is ???, I have lots to spend but haven't decided how much I'm willing to part with yet. Something that is a fair step up over the existing phone would be good, even if it's not the total best thing ever. But by all means present a few options.

Moreche

I returned my Zenwatch 2 to Amazon and got a Samsung Gear S2. Just got it in tonight. The fit, size, style, screen and interface navigation via the rotating bezel are sooo much better.

But I miss some stuff about the Android Wear software. Facebook, for instance, allows you to view the comments or replies people make to a post, instead of just the notification that there WAS a comment or reply on the Gear S2. Facebook Messenger on Android Wear shows the message thread instead of just the last message that was sent. Those are the big two that I already really miss, but I haven't had it long enough to tell anything else.

Basically, it seemed like interactivity with notifications was a lot better on Android Wear, but I may have only just scratched the surface on the Gear S2 and not given it the proper judgement.
Thanks for this, I'd love a gear S2 but tizen is putting me off, I really wish they'd launch an android wear version.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My SO got her phone yesterday. GS6 global unlocked model. Installing Marsh as I type this. Popped in her GSM sim, and it loaded right up!

Considering her old phone was like kaleidoscope due to her screen being cracked in a thousand pieces this should be better. Now if we can get a case today before a day zero accident.

omg_mjd

Telstra, Australia.

Price range is ???, I have lots to spend but haven't decided how much I'm willing to part with yet. Something that is a fair step up over the existing phone would be good, even if it's not the total best thing ever. But by all means present a few options.

Check out the LG G4 as well. It's likely pretty cheap now but still a good performer relative to current phones, especially in the camera and display department. Great ergonomics too. Just be sure to get an extra battery with it since that's its weak point (replaceable battery tho).

Vanillalite

Telstra, Australia.

Nexus 5X - It's gonna be world's better than her current phone and won't break your bank.

Nexus 6P - Higher end Nexus. It's a big phone which some love some hate. You have to put out a little bit more cash.

Galaxy S7 - Current best non Nexus but it's gonna cost you out the ass.

Galaxy S6 - Last Year's model can be had for cheap(er) and it's still a great phone

Check out the LG G4 as well. It's likely pretty cheap now but still a good performer relative to current phones, especially in the camera and display department. Great ergonomics too. Just be sure to get an extra battery with it since that's its weak point (replaceable battery tho).

Nexus 5X - It's gonna be world's better than her current phone and won't break your bank.

Nexus 6P - Higher end Nexus. It's a big phone which some love some hate. You have to put out a little bit more cash.

Galaxy S7 - Current best non Nexus but it's gonna cost you out the ass.

Galaxy S6 - Last Year's model can be had for cheap(er) and it's still a great phone

Thanks I'll check em out!

Thanks I'll check em out!

Look at the HTC 10 as well if you end up considering an expensive phone like the s7. It lacks waterproofing, wireless charging, and the camera isn't as perfect but you gain things like USB C, an option for an unlocked model, cleaner Android, no non carrier bloat and more durability.

Vanillalite

Marshmallow update on the GS6 is as legit as the reports have said. Phone screams, no RAM issues, and the phone doesn't get hot as the Sun like 810 devices.

Just grabbed a Nexus player off eBay to give to a dev I have working with me.

This thing has came a long way and works great. Hopefully Google does a refresh this year.

I'm getting videomotion ads and banner ads twice as big as they should be on NeoGAF on my Asus Android 5.0.1 tablet. I've tried switching browsers, clearing cache and history, and scanning with 360 and Malwarebytes. What else can I try? I'll provide more information if needed.

Quasar

Just grabbed a Nexus player off eBay to give to a dev I have working with me.

This thing has came a long way and works great. Hopefully Google does a refresh this year.

Yeah. Really needs a hardware revision. Or at least for beefier alts that werent as expensive as the Shield.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What do you mean? How do you like it? What's wrong with the current hardware? Should I pick one up?

Vanillalite

Biggest issue with Google's current offerings of both the Chromecast and Nexus player is no 4K support.

I have a feeling we might get a 4K revision this I/0.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Biggest issue with Google's current offerings of both the Chromecast and Nexus player is no 4K support.

I have a feeling we might get a 4K revision this I/0.

When is 8k coming? I keep hearing about it but there's nothing solid. I'll be picking up a new TV in a year or so. I guess it'll have to be 4k.

Quasar

What do you mean? How do you like it? What's wrong with the current hardware? Should I pick one up?

Well I find multitasking slow, esp when one of the apps is xbmc/plex. And it still has an app deficit. So for now at least I'm using my appletv4.

And annoyed the nexus lacks a ethernet port.

Quasar

Google isn't updating the Chromecast every year.

I do wonder how long before they can produce a stick powerful enough to be a 4k chromecast (needs to be able to decode what...25 megabit hevc 4k streams). And what the max bitrate the current chromecast radio can reliably stream.

Well I find multitasking slow, esp when one of the apps is xbmc/plex. And it still has an app deficit. So for now at least I'm using my appletv4.

And annoyed the nexus lacks a ethernet port.

The shield Android TV is way faster and has an Ethernet port. It also does 4k...

What apps are you missing with Android TV that Apple TV has? You do realize you can side load apps too right?

Jigolo

I do wonder how long before they can produce a stick powerful enough to be a 4k chromecast (needs to be able to decode what...25 megabit hevc 4k streams). And what the max bitrate the current chromecast radio can reliably stream.
Next year or the year after and that's okay. It'll be able to need to broadcast more things than just 4K.

Quasar

The shield Android TV is way faster and has an Ethernet port. It also does 4k...

What apps are you missing with Android TV that Apple TV has? You do realize you can side load apps too right?

Several Australian streaming services that either dont exist on Androidtv or Sony has an exclusive that dont seem to work if you sideload a apk made from the Sony one. Not unlike the Amazon Video app that Sony AndroidTV devices have. BBC iPlayer is another. Though it has a Shield exclusive app.

And yeah...I know about the Shield. I considered importing one (Shield anything is not sold in Australia) but was waiting for the whole lossless audio thing to get sorted. Plus I thought maybe given iOS history an app store on the AppleTV would mean both a Amazon Video and a Google Play Video app so it would be the best of all worlds for streaming ( as long as you dont care about lossless audio, 4k or 24hz video). So I bought a ATV4 to compliment my Nexus Player.

Hasnt worked out that way so far. Still using my PS4 for Amazon for instance.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My Note 5 all of a sudden decided that it won't fast charge anymore. Tried different cables and it just detects regular charging which would take ages to charge back to 100%. Even my fast wireless charger is charging at regular charging speeds, not fast. Any idea wtf is going on? I already made sure that fast charging and fast wireless charging are turned on too. Weird ass bug. I even did a factory reset to see if that would fix my problem and nothing.

Ulefone Future has to be the best bang for buck phone out there right now, at €180 for the preorder.

Them bezeless sides

vDaIdTj.png

This is what the world needs, a phone where you literally can't hold it from the sides or the edges of your fingers will be detected by the screen as touch.

I really wish people would understand WHY phones and tablets have bezels before declaring that they are the devil and should be eliminated.

This is what the world needs, a phone where you literally can't hold it from the sides or the edges of your fingers will be detected by the screen as touch.

I really wish people would understand WHY phones and tablets have bezels before declaring that they are the devil and should be eliminated.
Why can't software solve false fingerprint detections?

Bboy AJ

Software, bro. Like palm rejection.

Speaking of palm, I need a modern HP Veer.

actual model has bezels.

So I've had the HTC 10 for few days now. Took advantage of the $100 discount for Verizon. Quick history. Loved M8. Probably my favorite till they ruined it with Lollipop. Very very disappointed in the M9. Camera somehow got worse, it was slower than the M8, and the front speakers lost all it's punch. Only reason why i got M9 is because i jumped carriers. Honestly wish i stuck with M8.

I was looking at the 6P, bought one for my gf for xmas. I LOVE it but the screen is just too big for me. The front speakers are a damn beast and i'm jealous every time she plays something. Said fuck it and took a chance with 10 because of the good reviews and i'm very glad i did. The phone is a beast.

Pros
-It's fast. Everything i do is smooth as fuck. I love Sense because it's so simple and cuts out all the fluff shit i don't care for. The theme editor is great too especially if you like to mix and match damn near everything.
-Screen is beautiful, i do miss the metal bezels though. The color options are nice.
-Boom speakers are great again. Doesn't have the loudness of the 6P but holy shit is it clear. When covering the speakers it doesn't muffle the sound which is crazy. So even when my fat finger covers the bottom speaker sometimes it's still has a clear sound.
-The body is probably the best build I've ever held imo. I honestly don't want to use a case. It feels great in my hand.
-USB C works great actually charges faster then my M9 2.0 charger which was pretty good.
-Not a camera guy so won't get the best review out of me but videos are great.
-Adoptable storage is great.
-Scanner is great, the calibration was a pain in the ass though.

Cons. This all minor little stuff i hope they fix.

-HATE captive buttons on 5+ inch phone. I'm a one hand phone kinda dude. The back button is just too far for my taste. Constantly hitting the Home button. I really wish they add on screen buttons as an alternative.
-They took away the alternate multi tasking card setup. Right now the only option is the the stacked card setup introduced in lollipop which i find extremely clunky, I really liked the HTC mini cards instead. Made it more faster and easier to move around instead of scrolling through 20 apps to find what you want.
-Launcher doesn't have a lot of customization as the older versions. Can't switch menu icons at the top, can't disable folder names, no on screen button editing etc. Maybe there's a launcher i should give a shot?
-Battery is average. Don't see any major difference from the other phones. Better then the M9 but that doesn't mean much.

That's about it for now. Very happy with it. Performance is ace and the build is excellent. If 6P is too big for you and hate Touchwiz then should definitely give HTC10 a look. Retail price should be at least 100 bucks cheaper though. Not because it isn't worth it but 6P is still easily the best bang for you buck.

kharma45

I'm getting videomotion ads and banner ads twice as big as they should be on NeoGAF on my Asus Android 5.0.1 tablet. I've tried switching browsers, clearing cache and history, and scanning with 360 and Malwarebytes. What else can I try? I'll provide more information if needed.

Sounds like a GAF ad problem tbh.

Saiyan-Rox

Didn't realize there wasn't anyone selling the Nextbit in the UK other than the official site

That's kinda lame as I recommended it to a mate as it does look great and the development for it will probably be up there with the OPO imo

Husker86

Software, bro. Like palm rejection.

Speaking of palm, I need a modern HP Veer.

But it's not there yet. I quickly used a Galaxy S6 Edge/S7 Edge at an AT&T store and while I'm sure I could adjust over time, I was having issues just swiping the screen while holding it normally because it was registering touches at the edges.

Bezels are ugly, but software rejection algorithms are going to have to improve a whole lot before I think we're ready to get rid of them.

Several Australian streaming services that either dont exist on Androidtv or Sony has an exclusive that dont seem to work if you sideload a apk made from the Sony one. Not unlike the Amazon Video app that Sony AndroidTV devices have. BBC iPlayer is another. Though it has a Shield exclusive app.

And yeah...I know about the Shield. I considered importing one (Shield anything is not sold in Australia) but was waiting for the whole lossless audio thing to get sorted. Plus I thought maybe given iOS history an app store on the AppleTV would mean both a Amazon Video and a Google Play Video app so it would be the best of all worlds for streaming ( as long as you dont care about lossless audio, 4k or 24hz video). So I bought a ATV4 to compliment my Nexus Player.

Hasnt worked out that way so far. Still using my PS4 for Amazon for instance.

Sell the Nexus player and import the shield. The shield is just leagues better. They also recently added google chrome support and mouse support with the analog stick.

Basically side loading and controlling the side loaded apps just got way better.

The only thing I don't like about the shield is you pretty much have to get the remote if you want good voice dictation. The controller sucks for it.

Moreche

As much as I'm loving android and my S7 Edge android definitely throws you some curve balls.
I was trying to sell something on eBay using the Samsung internet app and when it came to adding a photo, it threw me straight into the Camer app to take a photo but I'd already taken the photo before and had it in my gallery app.
iOS would give you an option of camera or photos to select your photo from.

kharma45

As much as I'm loving android and my S7 Edge android definitely throws you some curve balls.
I was trying to sell something on eBay using the Samsung internet app and when it came to adding a photo, it threw me straight into the Camer app to take a photo but I'd already taken the photo before and had it in my gallery app.

Is there a reason you're not using the app?

That has nothing to do with IOS or Android. Thats ebay making a poor decision not to give the android user the option. Even their craiglist mobile site (owned by ebay) gives you the chooser on android.

Moreche

That has nothing to do with IOS or Android. Thats ebay making a poor decision not to give the android user the option. Even their craiglist mobile site (owned by ebay) gives you the chooser on android.
So is this ebays way of forcing you to use the app?
Also I bought a moto 360 2nd gen today really cheap but I don't think it's for me.
It seems to be nothing more than a notification receiver for the wrist but I think I was expecting more. Apple Watch is definitely a lot more polished and I think Google have a long way to go to make up for it.

Bboy AJ

So is this ebays way of forcing you to use the app?
Also I bought a moto 360 2nd gen today really cheap but I don't think it's for me.
It seems to be nothing more than a notification receiver for the wrist but I think I was expecting more. Apple Watch is definitely a lot more polished and I think Google have a long way to go to make up for it.
Have you even used an Apple Watch? It's actually less polished. It might do more but it does it poorly. Android Wear is probably more Apple than Apple Watch.

To be fair, Apple Watch does have games on it. My favorite: launching any app and seeing if anything other than a spinner appears on screen.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Have you even used an Apple Watch? It's actually less polished. It might do more but it does it poorly. Android Wear is probably more Apple than Apple Watch.

To be fair, Apple Watch does have games on it. My favorite: launching any app and seeing if anything other than a spinner appears on screen.

I toyed with a gear s2 classic the other day, that thing is more apple than the Watch.

It's a shame google is so rigid with android wear to the point it forced samsung to use tizen on the thing.

I toyed with a gear s2 classic the other day, that thing is more apple than the Watch.

It's a shame google is so rigid with android wear to the point it forced samsung to use tizen on the thing.

Samsung would of had zero desire to use android wear no matter how customization or great it was. Once Tizen was ready they made the switch complete. Samsung only uses Android on their phones because they have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom