• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new ADW launcher is out, the one with the cool transitions. It's called ADW LauncherEX. It's 3.43$ on he marketplace. I thought this would be the one to finally best launcher pro but ADW dock is just horrible. There are no swipe gestures. You can't scroll he main dock. The hidden dock scrolls but it isn't broken up so its just one long line of apps and shortcuts. You also can't overlap widgets like you can in LP. All in all I would have returned it but of course I ran out of time for a refund. I'm done buying apps. Thanks Google.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
KiKaL said:
How come I am not able to find Fifa 10 in the store?
Your phone is likely missing some necessary feature (resolution, GPU, magnetic sensor, autofocus, etc). Android fragmentation and all that.

KiKaL

Lyphen said:
Your phone is likely missing some necessary feature (resolution, GPU, magnetic sensor, autofocus, etc). Android fragmentation and all that.

Hmm it is a Droid X. I would assume that would meet any criteria. Maybe no keyboard?

Futureman

kikal,

go to the market. Under top paid games, Need for Speed should be near the top. Click on it, and on that page, there is a link to the developer's other games. You can get Fifa there. I think this is why people say the Market sucks, can't find anything, even if you search.

Tetris is DEFINITELY worth the $1. Controls are awesome and take like 1 minute to learn.

EDIT: It's also like 40 spots down if you just search "fifa."

IcebergSlim3000 said:
The new ADW launcher is out, the one with the cool transitions. It's called ADW LauncherEX. It's 3.43$ on he marketplace. I thought this would be the one to finally best launcher pro but ADW dock is just horrible. There are no swipe gestures. You can't scroll he main dock. The hidden dock scrolls but it isn't broken up so its just one long line of apps and shortcuts. You also can't overlap widgets like you can in LP. All in all I would have returned it but of course I ran out of time for a refund. I'm done buying apps. Thanks Google.

I don't care about any of your gripes with the new ADW so I'm not regretting the purchase. Afterall, I figured I owe the guy for using regular ADW all this time.

Petrie

Banned
Is there something I can do about the update thing that keeps popping up on my Droid1? Every so often it wants me to update, and I don't want to lose my root. Thus far I've just waited for a new root solution, updated, then re-rooted, but I'm hoping for a better solution. Thanks!

Anksta

Hi everyone,

For those of you who have an interest in Heroes Of Newerth (HON), I've released an app on the Android Market called "HONStats" (by MetaDawn). It can be used to track the progress of HON players on your Android device. I've found it quite useful to track the progress of my friends and hope you'll find the same. Just search for "HONStats" on the Android Market - it's a free download!

Please check it out and let me know what you think. I'll be happy to use any feedback as suggestions for future releases.

KiKaL

Futureman said:
kikal,

go to the market. Under top paid games, Need for Speed should be near the top. Click on it, and on that page, there is a link to the developer's other games. You can get Fifa there. I think this is why people say the Market sucks, can't find anything, even if you search.

Tetris is DEFINITELY worth the $1. Controls are awesome and take like 1 minute to learn.

EDIT: It's also like 40 spots down if you just search "fifa."

Doesn't show up when I go to more EA games. I just see The Sim 3, NFS and Tetris. It doesn't show up under Fifa either.

App Brain shows it, but when clicked it says it cannot find it in the market place.

Guess it's just not meant for the Droid x.

Futureman

KiKaL said:
Doesn't show up when I go to more EA games. I just see The Sim 3, NFS and Tetris. It doesn't show up under Fifa either.

App Brain shows it, but when clicked it says it cannot find it in the market place.

Guess it's just not meant for the Droid x.
I'm on a Droid X and see it. Weird.

I'm on a custom ROM as well (Fission).

ZZMitch

How are people syncing their music onto their android phones these days?

I had been using Salling Media Sync, but it always runs in the background for some reason and when I synced with it today it today my phone suddenly had two version of most of my songs >.<

Right now I am just dragging and dropping them into my droid. See if that works out better.

zedge

ZZMitch said:
How are people syncing their music onto their android phones these days?

I had been using Salling Media Sync, but it always runs in the background for some reason and when I synced with it today it today my phone suddenly had two version of most of my songs >.<

Right now I am just dragging and dropping them into my droid. See if that works out better.

Windows media player works fine for me. Drag albums to the device and click sync. Works much like Itunes really.

ZZMitch

zedge said:
Windows media player works fine for me. Drag albums to the device and click sync. Works much like Itunes really.

Never actually used that :lol Will give it a try next time though, thanks!

geebee

Banned
Is there an app similar to VLC player for Android that will allow me to watch video files with subtitles (.ass or .srt)?

my dad bought a droid, LG Optiimus? on tmobile...and well, he isn't a fan.

He prefers the larger icons and keyboard of the iPhone, from what I have seen of the HTC GUI it looks like it would be better suited for him. Is there anyway to get that GUI on his droid? I know back in the day you could put TouchFlo on WMP that werent HTC branded by flashing the rom

zedge

LG optimus is not a Droid. It's an Android phone. Droid are a series of Android phones on Verizon. That Droid thing drives me nuts, stupid Verizon.

zedge said:
LG optimus is not a Droid. It's an Android phone. Droid are a series of Android phones on Verizon. That Droid thing drives me nuts, stupid Verizon.

Without stupid Verizon and their Droid thing Android phones wouldn't be seen as cool or anything though. Android owes a lot to Verizon for building a desirable brand.

If the worst part of Android being cool/popular and getting better because it's in demand is some people call non-Droids Droids a la iTouch then it's all good.

ZZMitch

GAF, I need to take my phone back to Verizon, how would I go about completely unrooting my original droid (it also has a custom rom if that matters).

I watched a video, but it is from February so it might be outdated.

stressboy

ZZMitch said:
GAF, I need to take my phone back to Verizon, how would I go about completely unrooting my original droid (it also has a custom rom if that matters).

I watched a video, but it is from February so it might be outdated.

I have never tried this, but Rom Manager has stock images with your choice of rooted or unrooted.

ZZMitch

stressboy said:
I have never tried this, but Rom Manager has stock images with your choice of rooted or unrooted.

I am giving that a go right now

edit- I did it and nothing really changed, still shows me as rooted

edit 2- RSD Lite did it for me

tabsina

The Music app from Google I/O was leaked - though it apparently is a bit buggy - it is looking really sleek though (takes a lot of cues from the gallery app)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glFiw1ex7oY

For root users, the file is here, though I don't know how safe it is to install, so probably backup first:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=885535

Fake edit: Are we supposed to be using the 2011 thread for software stuff too? I'm a bit confused as to what goes here and what goes there

SimleuqiR

tabsina said:
The Music app from Google I/O was leaked - though it apparently is a bit buggy - it is looking really sleek though (takes a lot of cues from the gallery app)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glFiw1ex7oY

For root users, the file is here, though I don't know how safe it is to install, so probably backup first:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=885535

Fake edit: Are we supposed to be using the 2011 thread for software stuff too? I'm a bit confused as to what goes here and what goes there

Post anything new in the other thread. This is to do more with Honeycomb, so the other thread is the proper place to post.

This music player will probably shine more on a big screen (tablet), specially browsing via album cover art.

zedge

jonnybryce said:
Without stupid Verizon and their Droid thing Android phones wouldn't be seen as cool or anything though. Android owes a lot to Verizon for building a desirable brand.

If the worst part of Android being cool/popular and getting better because it's in demand is some people call non-Droids Droids a la iTouch then it's all good.

In the US maybe. Android seems to be doing ok in the rest of the world with out "Droid". I know what you're saying though.

thespot84

I was playing around with Cyanogenmod 6.1.2 on my moto droid. Seemed to work fast but I wasn't able to move any apps to the SD card. I tried checking the option in cyanogen settings to allow moving apps and neither way worked. anyone have this problem or can think of a solution?

On Gingerbread via Oxygen 2.0 :D

I can't remember how I customized the SMS app, though. In OpenDesire I changed it to a black theme and made the fonts smaller, but I don't remember how I did that or how to do it in Gingerbread :/

Ugh, who's bright idea was it to charge Android apps in their local currency rather than the users? Why the hell does the marketplace not have a shopping basket option? Why can't I add funds to Google Checkout beforehand?

All of these obvious and stupid oversights means that damn near every bit of paid content on the Marketplace costs me an extra £1.50, which is usually more than the app itself. :/

Are there any sort of workarounds anyone has come up with, short of changing my back (which, with a £1k+ overdraft, isn't really an option atm).

Sarye

brain_stew said:
Ugh, who's bright idea was it to charge Android apps in their local currency rather than the users? Why the hell does the marketplace not have a shopping basket option? Why can't I add funds to Google Checkout beforehand?

All of these obvious and stupid oversights means that damn near every bit of paid content on the Marketplace costs me an extra £1.50, which is usually more than the app itself. :/

Are there any sort of workarounds anyone has come up with, short of changing my back (which, with a £1k+ overdraft, isn't really an option atm).

What about using a credit card instead of a bank? In the US they charge a percentage of the cost of the app for doing a currency conversion as opposed to a flat fee that your bank seems to charge. (that's sucks btw)

edit: Some apps are not in your currency because they don't have the resources to release in your country. I think it's a legal thing that cost money for the businesses and most of them aren't big enough for it to be worth it. Especially when now the android market place allows purchase of any apps regardless of where you are. Though there are some issues with it, I think it's a better method than not having access to any foreign apps at all.

DSmalls84

Can anyone recommend a good Xbox Live App/Widget? There seems to be a good number of them but the feedback is pretty mixed on most of them.

thespot84

DSmalls84 said:
Can anyone recommend a good Xbox Live App/Widget? There seems to be a good number of them but the feedback is pretty mixed on most of them.

360 live has been good but i'm not that active on it.

DSmalls84

Found Xbox Live Statistics and it seems to work very well. Has a free and a paid ($.99) version. Includes widgets for friends, messages, and achievements.

Worms is available for android. It runs perfectly on m my evo. It's not on the market yet. Here's some screens.

snap20101231_181629_edit0.jpg

snap20101231_183320_edit0.jpg

snap20101231_183402_edit0.jpg

The names aren't cut off in the game that's just a shoot me error

Totakeke

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Worms is available for android. It runs perfectly on m my evo. It's not on the market yet. Here's some screens.

The names aren't cut off in the game that's just a shoot me error

Online multiplayer?!

kiryogi said:
FUUUCK. I just paid full price for these a few days ago :lol

You actually PAID for Need for Speed Shift? A demo of it came on my Droid X, I did a race and was like um, right and never thought about it again. :lol

Even for $1, I don't feel motivated to buy the full version. For $15, yeah right. I would rather put that $15 on my dining room table and add $45 to it to buy Gran Turismo 5 instead.

zedge

Unknown Soldier said:
You actually PAID for Need for Speed Shift? A demo of it came on my Droid X, I did a race and was like um, right and never thought about it again. :lol

Even for $1, I don't feel motivated to buy the full version. For $15, yeah right. I would rather put that $15 on my dining room table and add $45 to it to buy Gran Turismo 5 instead.
Full price was 4.99. It's easily worth a buck.

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:

I paid 5 D: All in novelty to have. Hell I even picked up Sims 3

tabsina

Zombie James said:
On Gingerbread via Oxygen 2.0 :D

I can't remember how I customized the SMS app, though. In OpenDesire I changed it to a black theme and made the fonts smaller, but I don't remember how I did that or how to do it in Gingerbread :/

Here's how to do it in Froyo roms, though it might not yet be implemented in Oxygen (i'm waiting on nexus one gingerbread source to be released before i make the plunge):
Messaging App > Menu > Settings > "Black Background" checkbox near the bottom

Also, I think all software and hardware android related stuff are now going in this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416681

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom