• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamesfrom818 said:
The Color Flashlight app is pretty awesome. I love the strobe function. Its pretty good at disorienting people.

:lol

I doubt it's better than my Droid's flash. 1/3 of the pictures in my gallery are people covering their face with their hands or blurry captures of people mid-turn to protect their eyes from the light. Everyone hates it.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
Anyone else buy Modern Combat: Sandstorm from Gameloft's site? I was under the impression that there was online multiplayer, y'know since the website said there was, but when I click on the multiplayer option in the game there is only local wifi. Anyone have any experience with something similar to this?

GMUNYIFan said:
Anyone else buy Modern Combat: Sandstorm from Gameloft's site? I was under the impression that there was online multiplayer, y'know since the website said there was, but when I click on the multiplayer option in the game there is only local wifi. Anyone have any experience with something similar to this?

There was "online multiplayer" on the iPhone version, except it had horrible NAT issues and didn't work for anyone.

But yeah, the general consensus is to stay away from Gameloft's Android games until they get their act together. You can try for a refund, some people got one pretty easily when their site first went up and claimed the games worked on Nexus Ones, but you know, didn't.

Piano

Banned
pxleyes said:
Just create a bookmark shortcut on your home screen. It will use the Neogaf icon in full.
Not on the Droid Eris it won't. Uses a little bookmark icon with the favicon in the top right corner.

Ronok

I have a strange issue going on right now. Earlier on today I was able to watch videos on the youtube app perfectly well. But now, every time I select a video I get the error "Sorry, this video cannot be played." Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm using my HTC Desire....

ZZMitch

shaft said:
I would also like to recommend Appbrain. It's a better version of the android market. The hot apps section is where I found lots of new cool apps.
Is appbrain on your PC or something? Because when I searched Appbrain all I got was a way to sync it from your PC I think.

pxleyes

Banned
Kamakazie! said:
Same happens on the desire. Any way to get the proper icons?
It just "works" for me. Worked on 2.1 on my N1, and works now on 2.2 I cant explain it because every other site does what you guys are saying.

Make sure you are bookmarking the secondapp neogaf link.

pxleyes said:
FXCamera or Vignette. I prefer Vignette.

Absolutely. Vignette has replaced the default camera app for me. Geo-location, the amazing effects and the frames make it so much better.

I just wish we had an application for taking panoramic photos like Autostitch for iPhone.

Blindfutur3 said:
Absolutely. Vignette has replaced the default camera app for me. Geo-location, the amazing effects and the frames make it so much better.

I just wish we had an application for taking panoramic photos like Autostitch for iPhone.

Not having panoramic photo function was a surprise to me because my HTC Touch Pro could do it.

ZZMitch

Has anyone else here tried Dockrunner?

It is a cool app for the Moto Droid (and any other android phones that may support the multimedia mode). It enables the multimedia dock mode without needing to be plugged into the dock (that you have to buy for 30 bucks or so from Verizon :/ ).

I made my own dock out of old legos to use with it and now I am set! :lol

eznark

Banned
Link to the Pure stuff? I'd like a good music widget (does it work with the standard music app?)

I really wish Listen had a widget.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eh, from those screenshots it looks a bit similar to the stock music player. Plus 2.2 revamped that as well.

The leaked froyo has the same mp3 player I think.

It looks nice. I think DoubleTwist is slow though. iSyncr is really fast. I'll give it a shot.

Oh and just search Pure in the market, his Calender, Messaging and Music widgets are within the first 10 things that come up.

pxleyes

Banned
Andrex said:
Eh, from those screenshots it looks a bit similar to the stock music player. Plus 2.2 revamped that as well.
2.2 didn't revamp the music player. And it isn't anything like the stock one from what I am seeing. Not to mention this is a re-release of their original doubletwist app that helps sync your music/videos from your itunes or pc to your phone.

BigFwoosh

For anyone interested, I just updated my Custom Car Home app. It now has three home screens and support for SD storage with Froyo. It is also infused with gaf love <3

Edit: As far as IRC apps go, I like AndChat. It does the job, and it's free.

Ronok said:
I have a strange issue going on right now. Earlier on today I was able to watch videos on the youtube app perfectly well. But now, every time I select a video I get the error "Sorry, this video cannot be played." Has anyone else had this problem?

The youtube widget on the Eris/Desire can be glitchy. Try accessing youtube via the internet and videos should load just fine.

rpmurphy

Ronok said:

If the video was a very recent upload, I usually just wait a day before trying again.

Ronok

Str0ngStyle said:
The youtube widget on the Eris/Desire can be glitchy. Try accessing youtube via the internet and videos should load just fine.
rpmurphy said:
If the video was a very recent upload, I usually just wait a day before trying again.

Thanks for the help, but later on I found that mp3 playback had also started throwing up errors. I don't have a clue what happened. I decided it was best to just do a factory reset and start again. haha

As soon as I did this mp3 playback and youtube were working perfectly well.

Zeppu

BigFwoosh said:
For anyone interested, I just updated my Custom Car Home app. It now has three home screens and support for SD storage with Froyo. It is also infused with gaf love <3

Elaborate on this please.

Is it possible to let someone remotely root my phone over desktopviewer or something like that? I really want 2.2 cyanogen on my htc magic as soon as a stable release is out, but im not able to do it myself, i would somehow break my phone (even with all the tutorials out there)

The doubletwist app is very nice. It can be a little slow but its really nice looking and is a nice media hub. I think its worth a grab, with a little while to scan it pulled my music synced from iSyncr, so you don't even have to use Doubletwist desktop (which is great, since it sucks).

One there's a widget and landscape this will be golden. I think I've switched from stock.

DoubleTwist app is far better than the stock app. Is it just me who thinks the sounds isn't as good from it though? Seemed to lack bass to me, but probably just a trick of the mind.

As soon as Spotify do proper ways of sorting media, rather than just search + playlist, I won't need anything else.

The sound quality seems the same, but maybe when I plug it into my car I'll notice a difference.

I like the video and podcast sections. Even if you don't use Doubletwist for music, it can be used to sync podcasts and as a podcast player, which is something a lot of people still look for who aren't satisfied with Listen.

BigFwoosh

josephdebono said:
Elaborate on this please.
It's a replacement for the Car Home app that comes on 2.0+ phones, but it has three home screens, each with 8 customizable shortcuts (apps, direct dials, pretty much anything but widgets for now). It also has options for automatically enabling bluetooth and speakerphone, and auto-disabling wifi. It's free on the market, and there is a $1 donate version as well for anyone feeling generous.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
eznark said:
Link to the Pure stuff? I'd like a good music widget (does it work with the standard music app?)
Fair warning on Pure's Cal widget if you downloaded the leaked 2.2 build - it doesn't work yet. It looks like the app has to be resigned for froyo to access calendars, but isn't yet.

Music widget still works though and, yes, it works with standard music app.

The only thing I don't like about the Pure widgets is that the deve creates just about every conceivable widget configuration so you get a list of 6-9 widgets for the same thing on your widgets lists. Honestly, I think he should whittle things down to 2-3 configurations per widget, optimize for the most used layouts.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BigFwoosh said:
It's a replacement for the Car Home app that comes on 2.0+ phones, but it has three home screens, each with 8 customizable shortcuts (apps, direct dials, pretty much anything but widgets for now). It also has options for automatically enabling bluetooth and speakerphone, and auto-disabling wifi. It's free on the market, and there is a $1 donate version as well for anyone feeling generous.
Does your car home app add music controls (i.e, next track, previous track, pause/play and track info) to the home screen when it detects that the music player is running? 'Cause, if it does, I will gladly donate to your worthy cause. I also wouldn't mind homescreen controls for when Google Navigator is in use, if possible.

BigFwoosh

kaching said:
Does your car home app add music controls (i.e, next track, previous track, pause/play and track info) to the home screen when it detects that the music player is running? 'Cause, if it does, I will gladly donate to your worthy cause. I also wouldn't mind homescreen controls for when Google Navigator is in use, if possible.
It doesn't have music controls. Someone else mentioned that to me once too... I may add it in the future.

What do you mean by "homescreen controls"?

kaching said:
Fair warning on Pure's Cal widget if you downloaded the leaked 2.2 build - it doesn't work yet. It looks like the app has to be resigned for froyo to access calendars, but isn't yet.

Music widget still works though and, yes, it works with standard music app.

The only thing I don't like about the Pure widgets is that the deve creates just about every conceivable widget configuration so you get a list of 6-9 widgets for the same thing on your widgets lists. Honestly, I think he should whittle things down to 2-3 configurations per widget, optimize for the most used layouts.

You can hide the reoccurring sizes from the widget list. Never really bothered me, but you can hide them I believe from the settings.

ZZMitch

BigFwoosh said:
It doesn't have music controls. Someone else mentioned that to me once too... I may add it in the future.

Yes, music controls would be awesome :D

skybaby

kaching said:
Widget lists should have branches, seriously. I had ONE app on time installed that did this, so it only added 1 item to initial list and once you clicked it it opened a new list. Everyone else just dumps it in the main list and it gets bloated fast :(

gcubed

skybaby said:
Widget lists should have branches, seriously. I had ONE app on time installed that did this, so it only added 1 item to initial list and once you clicked it it opened a new list. Everyone else just dumps it in the main list and it gets bloated fast :(

100% agreed

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BigFwoosh said:
Same thing as the music controls, just stated slightly differently. i.e. have the controls on the car home screen, rather than needing to click through to the actual app, if the app is already running.

jonnybryce said:
You can hide the reoccurring sizes from the widget list. Never really bothered me, but you can hide them I believe from the settings.
I know, but if you ever need to get it back, you'd have to reinstall, right? It's just a cumbersome process, needs to be cleaned up. Ideally Google enables devs to make widget size configurable in a settings screen (which is what they can't do now and why they need to list every widget size in the main list). In the meantime, devs should resist the urge to create every conceivable size - it's probably better for UI/UX if they focus on fewer configurations anyway.

BigFwoosh

kaching said:
Same thing as the music controls, just stated slightly differently. i.e. have the controls on the car home screen, rather than needing to click through to the actual app, if the app is already running.
Gotcha. I will certainly keep that in mind!

b.e.r.g

Dad just bought an Experia Mini and it's the first Android phone I've ever put my fingers on. How is it compared to the other big brother phones (HTC etc)? Can it run every Android app just like any other smart phone?

b.e.r.g said:
Dad just bought an Experia Mini and it's the first Android phone I've ever put my fingers on. How is it compared to the other big brother phones (HTC etc)? Can it run every Android app just like any other smart phone?

Nope. SE borked it by releasing it as android 1.5 for some sick reason.

b.e.r.g

J Tourettes said:
Nope. SE borked it by releasing it as android 1.5 for some sick reason.
Duh! But there are many apps for 1.5 as well, right? Like goggles, earth, starmap, evernote, and all those shiny apps I've seen all over? I'm more concerned about the screen size and resolution and if the hardware in general can handle these apps?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
kaching said:
I know, but if you ever need to get it back, you'd have to reinstall, right? It's just a cumbersome process, needs to be cleaned up. Ideally Google enables devs to make widget size configurable in a settings screen (which is what they can't do now and why they need to list every widget size in the main list). In the meantime, devs should resist the urge to create every conceivable size - it's probably better for UI/UX if they focus on fewer configurations anyway.
No, just recheck.

The process does need cleaning up but I disagree with limiting the sizes. Let the users pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom