• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabsina

ZZMitch said:
How do those barcode-like boxes work?

or barcode scanner (this is faster, but goggles has more functions than this)

it'll ask to take you to a 'web link' which for these apps will be a url that links you to the market page of the app

SimleuqiR

kaching said:
Booo to using the 2.1 Gallery app as the archetype for general UX improvements to Android. I like the app well enough on its own, but I don't think that I want to see that approach taken throughout the OS.

And, just like Windows Phone 7, Android will now have a minimum specification to run its platform. Those would be: 1GHz processor and 512MB of RAM; and your device will need to have a display that’s 3.5-inches or more.

There will be support for 1280×760 resolution for handsets that rock a 4-inch display or higher. And, what’s more interesting, is that the upgraded UX will actually look like the updated 3D Gallery application that was released on the Nexus One. Apparently, that look and feel, with lofty transitions, will be embedded throughout the whole Operating System. And, lastly, it sounds like Android is splitting into two teams, essentially. Gingerbread, or 3.0, will be or high-end devices, while lower-end gadgets will stick to Android 2.1/2.2.

Damn, the Nexus just made it. :lol I guess by the time Gingerbread is out I would had had the phone for a year, so it's not so bad.

In regards to the UX...Eh, not if Duarte has anything to say about that. Let's hope is "intuitive" in the end. I do like the Gallery app but I'm just not sure how it would translate on to the rest of the OS.

gcubed

SimleuqiR said:
Damn, the Nexus just made it. :lol I guess by the time Gingerbread is out I would had had the phone for a year, so it's not so bad.

In regards to the UX...Eh, not if Duarte has anything to say about that. Let's hope is "intuitive" in the end. I do like the Gallery app but I'm just not sure how it would translate on to the rest of the OS.

yeah, well at least the nexus one has enough life to last me two years :D

SimleuqiR

gcubed said:
yeah, well at least the nexus one has enough life to last me two years :D

Well, the specs give me hope that all Gingerbread revision will probably coded to run with the minimum specs (Nexus One), so all higher spec'ed models will have no problem handling it. After this release we should be good for another year...can't ask for more. :D

giga

The majority of Android handsets today are all 1GHz Snapdragons. I'm perfectly content with hardware restrictions for the advancement of software.

bathala

Banned
Get droid x now or wait for the awesome phones that will be preloaded with GB
Nexus Two?

I like this minimum requirement. It sets up structure
can't wait to see the new Ui designed by the Palm Pre Ui designer

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SimleuqiR said:
Damn, the Nexus just made it.
I don't think that's a coincidence. No way Google is gonna kick their "superphone" to the curb that easily. ;)

In regards to the UX...Eh, not if Duarte has anything to say about that.
:lol Duarte this, Duarte that. He's not a savior, Sim. If this release is really targeted for mid-October, he's not going to have much time to put his imprint on it.

andycapps

kaching said:
I don't think that's a coincidence. No way Google is gonna kick their "superphone" to the curb that easily. ;)

:lol Duarte this, Duarte that. He's not a savior, Sim. If this release is really targeted for mid-October, he's not going to have much time to put his imprint on it.

At the least he's had from the time Froyo went open-source to the time Gingerbread does the same. Seems like that's a decent amount of influence. Still, I don't think his presence will really be felt until the following release, you're right.

andycapps said:
I don't think there's anything like that yet.. The default music app has pause and skip as well as the album art on the screen lock. You could do a Music widget from Android (or HTC if you have an HTC phone) but you'd have to go back to your home screen. Short answer is, I believe the best that Music and Doubletwist do is show what song is currently playing under the notification tab. You can't control it from there yet. I actually went back to the default music app since discovering the widget and how you can control it from the pause screen. Doubletwist doesn't have either of those, yet. I'll still keep it since I'm sure they'll have it eventually and I won't have to pay for it once they start charging.

And yes, whoever asked for game recommendations. Robo Defense is a fantastic tower defense game. Air Control, Tetronimo, and Andjumble are a few more off the top of my head. Also, ACV is a good comic book viewer. May also be called Droid Comic Viewer on the store.
Are you just talking about in HTC Sense? That's the only place I've seen there a lockscreen music widget besides the pay version of MixZing and "3" music player.

elohel

Weird question but has anyone else here had their contact deleted out of nowhere?

My roommate Had all of his contacts disappear and can't seem to get them back atm

anyone heard of or know of a fix(I'm assuming theres no going back on this one)

SimleuqiR

kaching said:

Duarte, save us all!! :D
The thing is that the Gallery App was designed by Coolaris, it wasn't even the Android team (well maybe they had some input). So I hope Gingerbread is influenced by Duarte in some way.

I want the notification bar to be the main core for the new UX, not sure how I see what's done on the Gallery app translate into. The notification system is what has made Android so usefully.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SimleuqiR said:
I want the notification bar to be the main core for the new UX, not sure how I see what's done on the Gallery app translate into. The notification system is what has made Android so usefully.
Great idea, I fully support that. Right now, the biggest limitation of the notification panel is that devs can't put any actual controls there for their apps - they format the notifications images, text styles, etc. but all the notification can actually do is launch the app (or a uri into the app). But if they could start hosting actual app controls in the notification panel, that would be huge.

zoku88

Aren't there not that many phones with 1GHz processors? It seems weird to make an OS for such few phones, especially for an update that was going to focus mainly on UI.

Gabyskra

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
I'm sure with a little rooting, and some overclocking...it could be done. :p

Makes sense. For the few who'll do it (most people here I guess).

This being said, that means a lot of android customers will finally feel like their phone is subpar... I wonder what the consequences will be from a business standpoint. I know I'll feel like upgrading for a better physical keyboard android phone come July 2011 (end of my contract).

giga

zoku88 said:
Aren't there not that many phones with 1GHz processors? It seems weird to make an OS for such few phones, especially for an update that was going to focus mainly on UI.
The new ones coming out are mostly 1 GHz. If you're talking about market share, then that could be an issue. Only the Nexus One/Desire meet the minimum requirements.

1zjcy

http://metrics.admob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/May-2010-AdMob-Mobile-Metrics-Highlights.pdf

Gabyskra

Banned
giga said:
The new ones coming out are mostly 1 GHz. If you're talking about market share, then that could be an issue. Only the Nexus One/Desire meet the minimum requirements.

+ the EVO 4G, the HTC Incredible, the Motorola Droid X and a few Samsung Galaxy phones right? Or is that wrong?

Your stats are interesting but they're for may, things changed quite a bit already...

giga

Gabyskra said:
+ the EVO 4G, the HTC Incredible, the Motorola Droid X and a few Samsung Galaxy phones right? Or is that wrong?

Your stats are interesting but they're for may, things changed quite a bit already...
Yeah there's still time by the time 3.0 hits in October.

I'm just basing it on current market share. The EVO and Galaxy models just came out in June, the Incredible hasn't dented the market much since April, and the Droid X hasn't been released.

andycapps

giga said:

1zjcy

http://metrics.admob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/May-2010-AdMob-Mobile-Metrics-Highlights.pdf

We'll have to see what the new numbers are eventually. Obviously this was prior to the Incredible and EVO coming to the market.

negreenfield said:
Are you just talking about in HTC Sense? That's the only place I've seen there a lockscreen music widget besides the pay version of MixZing and "3" music player.

You may be right, I have an HTC phone so I wasn't really sure where the lockscreen functionality was coming from, just that it worked. So yeah, I guess it is from the HTC music app. Either way, I love it and it's keeping me from using Doubletwist once I discovered it was there.

andycapps said:
We'll have to see what the new numbers are eventually. Obviously this was prior to the Incredible and EVO coming to the market.

You may be right, I have an HTC phone so I wasn't really sure where the lockscreen functionality was coming from, just that it worked. So yeah, I guess it is from the HTC music app. Either way, I love it and it's keeping me from using Doubletwist once I discovered it was there.
I'm actually using the Desire port on my Nexus One still. I just really like Sense UI, I know it's not for everyone but I asked because it is one of the things holding me back from going to Froyo for now or possibly waiting for a Desire Froyo port (if it ever happens, most likely months from now). There are other things such as all the great HTC widgets and just the overall look and feel but that's definitely one I like. I just wish the stock music app worked with Genres other than ID3v1

I really wish there was the perfect Music app that combined the following features. If there's some magic app I haven't found yet that can do all of these it would be amazing (I think MixZing might be the closest but I don't want to pay $7) Right now I have 4, Stock, Museek, "3", and MixZing (non-paid)

Create playlists based on what music I'm currently listening to (Museek and MixZing do this)
Lockscreen widget ("3" no album art, HTC Sense default Music, and paid MixZing)
Gapless playback (Museek so far the only one that I know of)
Multiple Widget sizes (Most do this, Museek is the only one that does not)
Trackball skip (Works on rooted with stock music app or Music Mod 1.7.5 and Froyo)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
...the 2.1 gallery app is fucking terrible.
I really hope theres not much stock in that becoming the UX guideline for the whole OS.

Why does it tilt when I tilt my phone? It doesn't make any sense.
It's the most useless piece of shit ever. It's shitty and Google should feel shitty for producing it.

ZZMitch

elohel said:
Weird question but has anyone else here had their contact deleted out of nowhere?

My roommate Had all of his contacts disappear and can't seem to get them back atm

anyone heard of or know of a fix(I'm assuming theres no going back on this one)

I had all my text messages deleted randomly once, not contacts though.

Jtwo said:
I really hope theres not much stock in that becoming the UX guideline for the whole OS.

It's the most useless piece of shit ever. It's shitty and Google should feel shitty for producing it.

wtf? Why does it's tilt effect bother you so much? Don't tilt it to see it tilt if you don't want to see it tilt maybe?

It's full of eye candy and is super clean. It's an awesome app and look and I'm pretty excited that it'll spread to the rest of the OS, something I've been hoping would happen for a while. The Gallery looks 3D, clean and futuristic. Using it, it's zoom buttons or share menu and then jumping back into the browser feels like a time warp.

I'm all for this news.

edit: It's a little annoying to see comments about the official split for 3.0 and 2.1/2 devices. Everyone cried about fragmentation and being tricked into phones with no updates, so now Googles making it simple and people are still crying. Again, little crap phones like the Cliq XT were made to appeal to tweens or non-power users, have some cool social features and that's that. They run Android because it's free, gets most of the work done for the manufacturer and bakes in a ton of features. They probably weren't intended to be monitored and updated through every new Android revision, and for some reason buyers don't grasp that concept.

Well now you'll know. A 2.1/2 phone is just a lower end, won't ever be updated but runs Android because we want it to phone that no one can complain about being trapped or not knowing the situation when buying. I'm all for this, too. I wanted a split, a certification system. Pretty much what I had in mind, just implemented a little differently.

soco

kaching said:
Booo to using the 2.1 Gallery app as the archetype for general UX improvements to Android. I like the app well enough on its own, but I don't think that I want to see that approach taken throughout the OS.

agreed.

the idea is nice, but the app has got some flaws that are pretty serious when trying to make use of some of the nicer features of the OS. ie, the share menu is broken beyond belief in that it can't scroll and is really only good in landscape mode for a few applications to be listed. :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jonnybryce said:
It's full of eye candy and is super clean. It's an awesome app and look and I'm pretty excited that it'll spread to the rest of the OS, something I've been hoping would happen for a while. The Gallery looks 3D, clean and futuristic. Using it, it's zoom buttons or share menu and then jumping back into the browser feels like a time warp.
It tries to be a little too clever for its own good and doesn't fully nail the execution. It has a few features like the tilting that are "Ok, cool, but why?" type of things and it breaks some basic UI requirements like soco points out. That screams wrong priorities and wouldn't be something I'd want to see extended to the entire OS.

I can see taking a few select pieces from it - the transparent styling of the menus, the breadcrumb trail navigation at the top. The rest, not so much.

edit: It's a little annoying to see comments about the official split for 3.0 and 2.1/2 devices. Everyone cried about fragmentation and being tricked into phones with no updates, so now Googles making it simple and people are still crying.
Knowing why these people were crying in the first place, it shouldn't be any surprise why they're still crying.

andycapps

kaching said:
Knowing why these people were crying in the first place, it shouldn't be any surprise why they're still crying.

It's fine to me if they cry as long as Google doesn't listen to them. iPhone is dealing with this now with the 3G being left behind on some of the big features. 3GS will probably be left behind on their next update. Lot of these people's phones were mid-range phones when they got them, so you can't expect for Google to dumb down their upgrades to the lowest common denominator when there's such a huge gulf in performance from the top phones now and phones like the Moment, Cliq, G1, etc. There will always be ROM's done and the people on GAF that want future firmware's can always go that route.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
jonnybryce said:
In my opinion the eye candy totally gets in the way of usability.
Yes, the popup share menu is MUCH better than the scrollable overlay of other apps, but they can have that without all the BS.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The rumor of a Netflix Android app is a few months old by now, so I hope they've made some decent progress by now and actually have something on the market within the next few months.

andycapps said:
It's fine to me if they cry as long as Google doesn't listen to them. iPhone is dealing with this now with the 3G being left behind on some of the big features. 3GS will probably be left behind on their next update. Lot of these people's phones were mid-range phones when they got them, so you can't expect for Google to dumb down their upgrades to the lowest common denominator when there's such a huge gulf in performance from the top phones now and phones like the Moment, Cliq, G1, etc. There will always be ROM's done and the people on GAF that want future firmware's can always go that route.
It's always been about maintaining the narrative of Apple's carefully cultivated walled garden vs. Google's unruly open-sourced community garden, despite how neither really fits the narrative as well as pundits make it seem.

GatorBait

Jtwo said:

I tend to agree with you. Its evident Google had no idea how to create a visually appealing, yet also competent and intuitive, gallery app, so they thought it best to outsource. Considering that, I was slightly underwhelmed with the gallery app. Some of the menus and options are really nice, but it seems like it makes some sacrifices in order to appear flashy and cool.

I actually really like the HTC Sense gallery at the moment. It has a very clean look and big, nice-looking thumbnails arranged in a grid that takes up the entire viewable area in the gallery. It's so easy to scroll through you thumbnails and make out the pics. I guess it is similar to the iPhone's gallery view in that respect.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
How about we stop assuming that the Gallery app will be copied to the T and instead think of it in terms of the nice transitions, transparency, and polish the Gallery app has and not how it will mean anything for the UI itself. There's a long way to go before we see anything of Gingerbread so stop worrying.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone having issues with the NeoGaf web app in the native browser (Droid Incredible). It loads the main page, but when you click on a specific forum i comes up with the header and nothing else.

andycapps

kaching said:
It's always been about maintaining the narrative of Apple's carefully cultivated walled garden vs. Google's unruly open-sourced community garden, despite how neither really fits the narrative as well as pundits make it seem.

Definitely, but it's hard to plan for an OS when you're targeting such a wide demographic of devices. There has to be a cutoff of support at a certain age and specifications.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Deadly Cyclone said:
Anyone having issues with the NeoGaf web app in the native browser (Droid Incredible). It loads the main page, but when you click on a specific forum i comes up with the header and nothing else.
Working fine for me right now.

SimleuqiR

Deadly Cyclone said:

Javascript enabled?

ZZMitch

I have been setting up google voice and I think I got it almost working, but when I try to enter the google voice app it shows a pop up saying Call settings and says reading settings... with a loading animation. It has been sitting like this for an hour or so...

Any ideas DroidGAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom