• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Software Thread - Tasty Desserts, Tastier Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
electristan said:
If anyone owning a

- Sprint EVO 4G (HTC Supersonic)
- Droid Incredible (HTC Incredible)
- HTC Desire
- HTC Aria
- Droid Eris (HTC DesireC)

have wanted to root their phone but have been reluctant for whatever reason you should try

unrevoked3

I have just done it on my desire and had no issues. Best part is it does not wipe your phone (main reason i had never done it).

the only additional thing i had to install was HTC Sync for the usb debugging drivers. Otherwise just followed the instructions.

i head about it in this thread on XDA

It's not completely straight forward. I would follow this post.

EDIT: And even then it didn't seem to work for me. :\

Teflar

I just got a Droid Incredible and I am loving this phone :p Upgraded from a Blackberry Storm and man I didn't know phones could be this cool.

The problem is now I'm kind of in the dark ages. I hated my Storm so I didn't really try to use it for more then text messages and phone calls. Now I have this super phone and little idea what to do with it, heh.

I'd like to find some new wall paper, and I've gotten some unimaginative apps and games like Pandora and some free tower defense games.

What should I be looking at? I keep reading about rooting to flash custom roms, but I'm not even sure what you would need to do that for. Does it void any warranty?

Anyway, looking forward to checking out your suggestions and sorry if I'm a bit new at all this!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hey guys is there any software out for Android that you can use to open, save, etc files from Microsoft Office products?

ZZMitch

pistolpete2940 said:
Hey how'd you get those widgets on your lockscreen? I'm on a G1 with Cyanogen 6

It doesn't actually require a root, it is called Widget Locker, it is 1$ in the marketplace

gcubed said:
which weather widget was that zzmitch? I was using fancy widget but it's been updating poorly

It is part of beautiful widgets

ZZMitch

Angst said:
Any ideas of where to get nice wallpapers optimized for Android phones?

It depens on the phone, Droid (and droid x I believe) work best with 960 x 854 wallpapers, i just searched "droid wallpapers" and found a few sites. It depends on your phone, if you can find the right resolution for your phone you can just go into google image search and after searching for a topic on the left side click the "Exactly" icon and put in the height and width in pixels that you want.

zoku88

Sometimes, I really feel like making an android app.

Don't really feel like programming in Java, though. I assumed it would be in C++. That's kinda odd.

gcubed

ZZMitch said:
It doesn't actually require a root, it is called Widget Locker, it is 1$ in the marketplace

It is part of beautiful widgets

does that still work, it hasn't been updated in ages and weren't some people reporting 2.2 problems?

Angst

belvedere said:
Still fairly new to Android and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get street view in Google maps.
Just press on a street, then press the road sign that comes up. Then choose the street view icon. Maybe you can longpress the map as well?

belvedere said:
Still fairly new to Android and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get street view in Google maps.
If it's a store name or a marker that's on the map, tap it and see the options that come up.

If it's an arbitrary location, long press it, then tap the bubble that comes up for the options available.

Long pressing stuff is a good experiment throughout all of Android.

Query: My girldfriend is now pretty tired of waiting for the 2.1 update for her Hero, so I'm looking into rooting it for her.

-Has anyone here rooted their Hero, and if so how easy was it and is the custom rom working a-ok?
-Does anyone have a link to a stupendously noob friendly root and custom rom load walkthrough?

jenov4

BTW, Rockplayer 1.0 is out!

RockPlayer can support audio and video container format: avi mkv rmvb mp4 mov wmv asf wma wav mpg ts mpa dvd au mp3 mid ivf aiff ogm ogg cda flic d2v aac roq flac drc dsm swf pls pmp.Audio and video encoding format AAC AC3 DTS FLV4 LPCM ALAW ULAW MPEG Audio MPEG-1 MPEG-2 RealVideo RealAideo Vorbis AVC VC1 XVID DIVX SVQ Theora Bink Theora Bink basically includes all popular multimedia formats.

http://rockplayer.freecoder.org/

Tideas

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Thought I would post a few of my screenshots of my newly rooted droid! :D

Lockscreen-
snap20100715_102551-1.png

Left Screen
snap20100715_102541.png

Main Screen
snap20100715_102601.png

Right Screen
snap20100715_102545.png

Which app is it that u use to get Lockscreen to display those thing?

Which calendar app/widget is that?

Finally, which app that tells you th temp of your phone?

ZZMitch

Tideas said:
Which app is it that u use to get Lockscreen to display those thing?

Which calendar app/widget is that?

Finally, which app that tells you th temp of your phone?
The first is Widget Lockscreen, 1$ in the market.

The second is Smooth Calander, free

The third is a widget for SetCPU, requires root.

sionyboy said:
Query: My girldfriend is now pretty tired of waiting for the 2.1 update for her Hero, so I'm looking into rooting it for her.

-Has anyone here rooted their Hero, and if so how easy was it and is the custom rom working a-ok?
-Does anyone have a link to a stupendously noob friendly root and custom rom load walkthrough?

Dead easy walkthrough. Use the text rather than the video :
http://theunlockr.com/2009/08/27/how-to-root-your-htc-hero-in-one-click/

I get my custom roms via XDA. I currently have the Chronos Droid 2.0 on and I doubt I'm going anywhere else :
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=512

tokkun

Can someone recommend backup software? I have been trying to use the free version of Titanium Backup, but after wiping data and restoring after a new ROM, I don't have any of my contacts, my homescreen changes are gone, and all of my system settings are lost, though it did succeed at restoring my apps.

jersoc

tokkun said:
Can someone recommend backup software? I have been trying to use the free version of Titanium Backup, but after wiping data and restoring after a new ROM, I don't have any of my contacts, my homescreen changes are gone, and all of my system settings are lost, though it did succeed at restoring my apps.

did you backup the system settings too? Just backing up the apps wouldn't give all that.

Otherwise titanium is the only one I know of.

tokkun

jersoc said:
did you backup the system settings too? Just backing up the apps wouldn't give all that.

Otherwise titanium is the only one I know of.

I think so.

What I did was go into Backup/Restore, hit menu to go to Batch mode, then ran "Backup all user apps + system data"

After flashing the ROM I did "Restore all apps + data" from the Batch menu.

Zeppu

punkypine said:
what the hell is this "authorizing purchase" crap. i cant buy apps from the store and nobody online seems to know the solution

Are you sure your google checkout account is working properly?

tokkun said:

I use mybackup pro by rerware. It had some trouble with widgets, but it was pretty solid with all the settings, contacts, sms, playlists, etc.

punkypine said:
what the hell is this "authorizing purchase" crap. i cant buy apps from the store and nobody online seems to know the solution

Are you doing it over Wi-Fi or data? The Market never works well for me when I'm on Wi-Fi.

punkypine

Jamesfrom818 said:
Are you doing it over Wi-Fi or data? The Market never works well for me when I'm on Wi-Fi.
i was on wifi, i just tried to do it over 3G, its been hanging there for about 5 minutes. WiFi is turned off right now. i left it on for like 6 hours with wifi

edit: and i have a 1 dollar charge from google in my account. i read somewhere that thats what they use to check your account or whatever, so i assume that means my credit card info was all fine

punkypine

omg it finally authorized, like 6 hours after purchasing... hopefully this wont happen again, cuz if this keeps up, there goes any possibility of impulse buys

on another note, whats up with uniwar being 5 bucks on android and 1 on iphone :-/

punkypine said:
omg it finally authorized, like 6 hours after purchasing... hopefully this wont happen again, cuz if this keeps up, there goes any possibility of impulse buys

on another note, whats up with uniwar being 5 bucks on android and 1 on iphone :-/

Its usually pretty instant for me. The only time I had trouble with it is when I was trying to use a new card and I forgot to add the security number on the back.

punkypine

I'm trying to find a good chess app with practice modes/problems
Any recommendations?
It'd be nice if it had iphone/symbian multiplayer

Fatalah

RockPlayer 1.0 is out! It's now available in the marketplace, ad supported, but not intrusive at all. This is huge for the mainstream user.

Found this on their forum:
Finally, it is 1.0.

Comparing to the last public beta, it is improved a lot.

Performance:ARMv7 version is 30%+ faster than public beta, ARMv6 version is about 10% faster.

Feature:Support srt subtitle, support customize the font size and color for the subtitle.
Feature: Displays clock and battery status, it can be turn off in settings.
Feature:System playback mode, in this mode, RockPlayer may make most of system codec for hardware decoding, it saves battery but supports fewer formats.
Feature:Media info panel over playing view
Feature:Configurable interval for forward/backward seeking, default is 80 seconds.
Feature: Displays media file only and ignore files hidden, may be turned off in settings.
Feature: Displays advertise form Google AdMob in free version
Feature: Displays file extension by default, it may be turned off in settings.
Feature:Support to purge playing history, cannot undo.
Feature:Activation mechanism, user may turn off advertise and Logo displaying over the video by purchasing and activating.

Change:plays video fullscreen by default.
Change:UI improved, icon is more beautiful.
Change:UI layout improved, progress bar is easier to click and is far away from other buttons.
Change:Longer progress bar, it helps to seek accurately.
Change:Time displaying now has shadow.
Change:Now RockPlayer is optimized for ARMv6, ARMv7 and ARMv6_VFP and release as three variants. The guide for choosing is published in the website (http://rockpalyer.freecoder.org).

Fixed:The bug of lost sound while playing some high bit-rate movie, it cause a bit more memory usage.
Fixed:The bug of player cannot render the video but only plays sound for some mp4 file.
Fixed:The bug of video and audio are out of sync while playing some special movie file.

We provide three variants, ArmV7, ArmV6+VFP, ArmV6, optimized for corresponding chipset.

You may find it in Market now. For user guide and more, please check http://www.anplayer.com

I need to figure out which ARM version to download! Looks like ARMv7 for the Incredible.

Hieberrr

Rogers-GAF, I am still on my stock 1.5 E911 update for my HTC Magic and I was wondering if I should just wait for the stock update for 2.1 to come or to just go ahead and flash it with the latest Cyanogen rom? I tried flashing it before, but I got stuck on the flashing of the recovery image (I'm a tech noob and the assholes on Cyanogen's website weren't exactly very helpful either...).

I don't feel like taking a risk, but damn do I want that 2.1/2.2 :(

tokkun

Alright, someone help me out here:

Using the People app on HTC Sense phones, how do you remove someone from the People list without deleting them from your GMail contacts?

Hieberrr

tokkun said:
Alright, someone help me out here:

Using the People app on HTC Sense phones, how do you remove someone from the People list without deleting them from your GMail contacts?

That's not possible as long as you are sync'd with Gmal contacts. Instead of doing this on the phone, you should probably sort/delete your contacts on Gmail. It's much easier that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom