• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anecdotal evidence RE: Xbox One vs PS4 demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iacobellis

I was at Best Buy picking up my television. The guy ringing up my order mentioned that they had received a dozen PS4s in earlier that morning, made an in-store announcement over the PA and they were gone in minutes.

The #thirst is real.

So you admit to not reading the OP and still responded anyways?

B85sbcd.gif

Holy shit.

MOPP 4

Banned
I'm just so damn confused. Who is pumping out more units to retailers? From that picture it looks like Sony is pushing more units out...but then I see stores in the United States of America and it looks like Microsoft is pumping out more units.

The worldwide numbers better come out soon for both consoles or else this fighting is going to get George R Martin's penis cut off by a guy going crazy with all of this.

Breemin

Depends really...

My target has received 3 shipments of X1 so far. One for launch, one for Black Friday, and another last night. They have received 1 shipment of PS4s so far, which was launch. Demand is super crazy for PS4 though, people calling up all the time for it. Had 4 X1s sitting in the case when I left work at 11PM last night.

Who's to tell how many shipments each store has been getting. For all we know, that San Fran Target has gotten 2 shipments of PS4 and 5 shipments of X1 (which all might have sold through).

Regarding the picture, was I the only one getting nervous for that back stack of PS4s? Dear God, thankfully a new hire didn't walk by it with his face in an iPhone and knock those bad boys over!

Here is the text we sent each other today about this... I have a PS4 so that is what I suggested to him.

IMG_1995_zps660dbf69.png

Interfectum

Microsoft is kicking Sony's ass in terms of just keeping these consoles in stock. Demand or not, Xbox One may sell better this holiday if Sony doesn't restock.

Well I'm thinking Sony cares more about worldwide sales than beating MS in the American NPDs.

QaaQer

I have and prefer the Xbox One (having played both system's games) but I found this pretty jarring.
This is a photo of the stockroom at GAME Belfast at 11.38am GMT this morning:

There are like 70-80 PS4's in that picture vs around 20 Xbox Ones.

Roll on to around 6.50pm GMT today:
DO5feys.jpg

No similar posts about the Xbox One.

Wow.

I'll add that they were letting anyone regardless of their preorder 'phase' pick up a console today.

Does anyone else find that pretty surprising? In the same amount of time, they were able to sell out of their PS4 stock but couldn't shift their Xbox One allocation (which is around a quarter of the PS4 allocation)

Link to their facebook feed:

https://www.facebook.com/GameBelfast?fref=ts

It is interesting that Amazon.com will buy a used ps4 for $342 (gift card) but they will not buy xbox ones.

shandy706

No kidding. I usually get a cup full of candy canes or something.

Than again, I also get the priviledge of paying $35 to attend the company XMAS party. Yippie.

Well that sucks.

You should come to our company party. It's held in a reservations only top tier restaurant overlooking a lake. Everything paid in full, whatever you want. Pick anything from the menu..heck order multiple things. Full bar access, with no-limit company tab opens 1 hour before party...and lasts until the owner goes home (My wife and I have never made it that late).

I only wish I could take further advantage of the food and drinks at it...where we live I have to drive us home (or my wife has too). I always let her go crazy on getting whatever she wants to drink...lol.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Not really.

The PS4 box is taller and I think a touch wider, but the Xbox One box is thicker. I was shocked when I grabbed a PS4 box at how it felt like a giant think picture frame. Surprisingly big.

And surprisingly thin.

Here is the text we sent each other today about this... I have a PS4 so that is what I suggested to him.

1lCHy

Haha, love the bit about the batteries. But ya, I tend to try and get the same system my friends are usually. Hope he enjoys it though, both systems have great games, no arguing that.

erawsd

Not really.

The PS4 box is taller and I think a touch wider, but the Xbox One box is thicker. I was shocked when I grabbed a PS4 box at how it felt like a giant think picture frame. Surprisingly big.

Yeah x1 is thicker, and has some weight to it.

Madness

Can't wait for NPD numbers personally although a month or two from now will be even more telling

A lot of people will be surprised when both consoles put up decent numbers. They're both sold out all over, and sell out quickly when they come in stock. I think Sony has just been solid with their supply this time around.

Talamius

NC here.

PS4 is very similar to a unicorn. To this point, I have not seen one sitting on a shelf.

Xbox One seems to be selling at a good clip but you can find them on shelves.

A lot of people will be surprised when both consoles out up decent numbers. They're both sold out all over, and sell out quickly when they come in stock. I think Sony has just been solid with their supply this time around.

I agree. IMO:

Nov/Dec: PS4 sells whatever they shipped, XBone roughly does the same. The big takeaway will be the XBone yield situation. We'll find out roughly how many they got onto US shelves.

January and February will be the real story on demand.

Freki

Don't know how reliable news10 is but it seemed fitting in this thread:

Microsoft claims Xbox One sold out worldwide; Retailers beg to differ

Recently, Sony (maker of the PlayStation 4 video game console) announced that more than 2.1 million PS4 units have sold worldwide.
In response, Microsoft's Xbox VP Yusuf Mehdi told website Ars Technica that their Xbox One is "sold out at retailers around the world."
A quick over-the-phone check at a six randomly-selected retailers found that isn't quite the case.
[...]
source

daveo42

Banned
I'm still surprised at how quickly these PS4s are moving off the shelves. Based on the info from the OP and Bish's story, it seems like Sony is going to be playing catch-up through the holiday season, trying to just meet consumer demand. I'm sure price has been a good factor in keeping PS4s moving out the door while some places still have Xbox One stock.

I wonder what the demand ceiling will be and when we'll hit it.

shandy706

While the Xboxes are photoshopped in (meaning, they actually weren't there in the original), the gif is from the launch of the PS4 in Europe (Germany, possibly). So, yeah, people lost their shit when the PS4 came out.

The overhead Sony sign is Photoshopped in too. ;)

Always easy to spot that stuff as it jumps/jitters in comparison to the rest of the frames.

Well that sucks.

You should come to our company party. It's held in a reservations only top tier restaurant overlooking a lake. Everything paid in full, whatever you want. Pick anything from the menu..heck order multiple things. Full bar access, with no-limit company tab opens 1 hour before party...and lasts until the owner goes home (My wife and I have never made it that late).

I only wish I could take further advantage of the food and drinks at it...where we live I have to drive us home (or my wife has too). I always let her go crazy on getting whatever she wants to drink...lol.

Very smart :p

And geeeeeeeeez, that sounds amazing haha. I might just have to crash that.

A lot of people will be surprised when both consoles out up decent numbers. They're both sold out all over, and sell out quickly when they come in stock. I think Sony has just been solid with their supply this time around.

Yeah I am no longer going to be surprised if the numbers are close or even if MS manages to edge out Sony

MS could very well be supplying more XB1's to the US but it's going to be close I think

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So the second shipment has arrived UK. That's fast. NA have to wait for weeks before stocks became available few days ago.

I spoke to my local indie store which is near Glasgow. They say they're getting a whopping 3 units out of that allocation and they're already pre-sold.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
In my land, our local retailer of all things electronic has an exterior wall made of nothing but stacked nintendo wii u's. And on the blackest morning of all november, the retailer had lined its interior halls with the blue and green of many ps4s and xbones in anticipation for the morning rush. Yet when the dust settled later that evening, all that remained were rows and rows of new consoles exposed to the elements... for the very walls of the store itself had been sold out completely...

Not really. Any sane person knows that both sold well. However, I'm almost certain the NPD will show that the PS4 won November by a decent margin. December is anyone's game.

That said, Xbox One was readily available on Amazon this week for two days in a row for hours and hours. The PS4 was available only one day for maybe 20 minutes, and the demand caused Amazon's check out to crash/bug out.

Getting a One definitely feels a lot easier than a PS4 at this point. But, without knowledge of actual shipments, who knows.

UNCMark

Banned
Like you've been told, PS4 Launch Edition has been de-listed from Amazons best-sellers chart. A console doesn't go from being the #6 best-selling product of the year to #75. These are 2 completely different products. One is(was) the launch edition, the other is the BF4 bundle which I expect to get de-listed any day now as well.

Microsoft is kicking Sony's ass in terms of just keeping these consoles in stock. Demand or not, Xbox One may sell better this holiday if Sony doesn't restock.

I wasn't looking for proof etc. I was giving an example of anecdotal evidence. It's meaningless. That was the point. But it's pretty much all we have to go on, so it's fun.

satam55

Banned
I feel bad for thinking the same thing. I don't want to wish ill on any company, but if the demolition is as bad as it appears its going to be, I wouldnt mind a 300 dollar Titanfall box.

How the hell would they manage to get it to $300?

buffi

Banned
So, here in Sweden, retailers are expecting people who order PS4's now to get them delivered some time in March due to the amount of people who are already on lists.

Xbox One does not even have an official release date here yet. It's going to be pretty damn late to the party :)

Not really. Any sane person knows that both sold well. However, I'm almost certain the NPD will show that the PS4 won November by a decent margin. December is anyone's game.

That said, Xbox One was readily available on Amazon this week for two days in a row for hours and hours. The PS4 was available only one day, and the demands caused Amazon's check out to crash/bug out.

Getting a One definitely feels a lot easier than a PS4 at this point. But, without knowledge of actual shipments, who knows.

I think NPD will be very, very close between both consoles with PS4 just slightly ahead. Xbox is still huge in NA after all. WW it's not even a question, and in the coming months PS4 should pull ahead in NA, but for November, I think they'll be pretty even.

Freki

They have found 3 units available and 1 was because it was returned, but I'm only commenting on this because I love the way you cut your quote just in the right place.

You do realise that quoting an entire article is frowned upon here? That's why I only quoted the introduction... not everything is a conspiracy you know...

I think NPD will be very, very close between both consoles with PS4 just slightly ahead. Xbox is still huge in NA after all. WW it's not even a question, and in the coming months PS4 should pull ahead in NA, but for November, I think they'll be pretty even.

Not sure why you think that, given that Sony is confirmed to have sold around ~1.3mil in NA alone in November. MS announced they sold 1mil across 13 countries as of the 23rd. Even without exact numbers for the US from either party, it's clear that Sony sold more in November.

Unless MS sold 900k of those in the US, I don't see how they can come close.

txag2005

Banned
I know for sure Xbox One's can be found around Houston. There were a number still available on Black Friday at a local Gamestop and I've seen some in stock at Walmart and Best Buy.

PS4's are nowhere to be found.

Like others said, who knows if this means PS4 demand is higher or if MS is doing a better job of restocking here in the US.

I feel like I'm going to be repeating this in all these sales threads, but really, what benefit is there for the consumer from Sony dominating?

I mean even as a PS4 owner, what is it you think that huge sales will lead to? This isn't the PS2 era -- no major publisher is going to risk putting a game exclusively on one platform unless it's given a hat made or money. The cost of development is too high. This is the generation that will take us even closer to the homogeneous in all factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom