• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anecdotal evidence RE: Xbox One vs PS4 demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
iMYAdMT27HSpq.gif

I miss Mattrick.
His sad-sack expressions create the best gifs. :p

Nakor

I'll add that they were letting anyone regardless of their preorder 'phase' pick up a console today.

This happened at my local EB Games' midnight launch
Pre-ordered the earliest you possibly could (waiting outside doors for store to open...) but at the mn release was made to line up, verify receipt, grab a ticket, basically first come first serve on the night...
Don't see the point of pre-ordering if they do things like that o.o

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Another piece of anecdotal evidence is Craigslist and Ebay auctions seem to put both systems around $600 despite ps4 being $100 cheaper.

GavinGT

Banned
I wouldn't say they're in trouble. 1 million in a day is nothing to scoff at. If they bring their price down I'm sure their fortunes will change.

They've also got the odds stacked against them until the price comes down. The multimedia features are obviously meant to appeal to the mainstream market more so than the hardcore launch adopters.

UNCMark

Banned
That game in the box with that motion camera of theirs for $499 wouldn't get you in the door?

God no. I have a PS4 for multiplats and exclusives, a Wii U for Nintendo games, and a 360 for current gen releases. I'm not paying 500 dollars for an MS exclusives box. No thank you.

gaming_noob

$100 cheaper and more powerful. MS needs to realize marketing alone will not sell their crap anymore.

Btw, Torontonians, PS4 and Xbones are available at Bestbuy at the Eaton's Center.

kadotsu

Banned
I feel bad for thinking the same thing. I don't want to wish ill on any company, but if the demolition is as bad as it appears its going to be, I wouldnt mind a 300 dollar Titanfall box.

People always say that a Kinectless box would cost $300-350, but where are you getting your data from? Looking at the HW most of the expensive stuff of Kinect (processing) is on the main SOC. I hope MS cuts price aggressively but I don't see a $300 XB1 happening for a while.

bigmf

On the one hand, I love "didn't read, lol" gifs on the other hand I'm not about to get banned over them.

Anecdotally, I haven't seen either in stores since launch, but it does seem that online sales in Canada go out of stock faster for PS4.

plainr_

Going by the picture in the OP, you can tell Sony were smart with the packaging. You can stack more PS4's than X1's in the same amount of space. The size of the box most likely resulted in a bit of savings from shipping costs as well.

shandy706

Until there's hard numbers, it's all there is. Here's another example: At Amazon US Xbox One went from 114,500 on the "movers and shakers" top 100 list 3 days ago to #1 today. A jump of 1,638,571%. It has now eclipsed the PS4 on the Top 100 video game items sold for the year sitting at number 12 (PS4 is at 75). Anecdotally Xbox One is kicking PS4's ass. Realistically this has happened because Sony can't supply the demand.

This just helps show that there's ZERO way for anyone here to come to a conclusion either way. Also, half the time (all the time actually it seems) Amazon's lists make zero sense.

I'd expect it to be more popular in Europe...following the trend of leaning towards Sony.

In the US...no clue...none of us have a clue.

We don't know the answer to the US questions below...

If Microsoft sold more, did they have more available?

If the PS4 sold more, did they have more available?

Is Microsoft supplying stock at a higher rate?

Is Sony supplying stock at a higher rate?

Is the PS4 selling out instantly due to less being delivered to stock?

On and on...those questions are practically the same question worded in a different way. It's like he articles that say (said) things like NPD and sales numbers may not tell the truth for some time. Stock vs demand in the US through this week is data that none of us have. Maybe there is more demand for the PS4/X1...who knows? If you receive 20 of one system and 50 of the other....and the system with 20 goes first....that tells us nothing.

I think it's going to be a while before we can draw any conclusions in the US. I look forward to NPD...but I have no idea if it will show us anything worthwhile in either direction.

Well that's curious

I know several people that call around asking about both tbh

I should mention that I don't work in electronics, this is just my secondhand view of the situation. But the word "Xbox" is thrown around constantly and I never hear anyone ask or talk about PS4.

It's really weird to hear about other stores having Xboxes sitting on the shelf. I wonder if it's regional or something, like how different areas of the US used to use MSN while other areas used AIM.

East Coast US here.

This just helps show that there's ZERO way for anyone here to come to a conclusion either way. Also, half the time (all the time actually it seems) Amazon's lists make zero sense.

I'd expect it to be more popular in Europe...following the trend of leaning towards Sony.

In the US...no clue...none of us have a clue.

We don't know the answer to the US questions below...

If Microsoft sold more, did they have more available?

If the PS4 sold more, did they have more available?

Is Microsoft supplying stock at a higher rate?

Is Sony supplying stock at a higher rate?

Is the PS4 selling out instantly due to less being delivered to stock?

On and on...those questions are practically the same question worded in a different way. It's like he articles that say (said) things like NPD and sales numbers may not tell the truth for some time. Stock vs demand in the US through this week is data that none of us have. Maybe there is more demand for the PS4/X1...who knows? If you receive 20 of one system and 50 of the other....and the system with 20 goes first....that tells us nothing.

I think it's going to be a while before we can draw any conclusions in the US. I look forward to NPD...but I have no idea if it will show us anything worthwhile in either direction.

His post is selective stat quoting and junk without the full picture.

Facts:
  • The PS4 launch edition has been delisted from Amazon.
  • If you go to the PS4, you have to find a bundle and then select just the console. The console, with no "launch" or other signifier, is not ranked there either.
  • The PS4 also has over double the reviews (4k vs 1.7k). I'm going to assume there's some correlation between sales and number of reviews.
  • The PS4 with game bundle at #74 has sold better than every single Xbox One game this year except COD: Ghosts, which sits at #69.
  • There are 3 PS4 games in the top 40. COD: Ghosts is the only Xbox One game in the top 100.

Majmun

Anecdotal and hardly surprising, but the local Mediamarkt had no PS4s but still a lot of XB1s.

Yeah, I always go searching for Ps4 stock in The Netherlands and Germany. No Ps4's to be found, it's getting crazy.

Xbox One consoles in stock in all gamestores I've visited in Germany so far.

Sony needs to ampe up their Ps4 productivity

GavinGT

Banned
Going by the picture in the OP, you can tell Sony were smart with the packaging. You can stack more PS4's than X1's in the same amount of space. The size of the box most likely resulted in a bit of savings from shipping costs as well.

They both made the boxes as small as they could. The X1 box just has a bigger console, power brick, Kinect, and full headset inside.

UNCMark

Banned
People always say that a Kinectless box would cost $300-350, but where are you getting your data from? Looking at the HW most of the expensive stuff of Kinect (processing) is on the main SOC. I hope MS cuts price aggressively but I don't see a $300 XB1 happening for a while.

I'm not getting that data from anywhere. I'm just saying that 300 dollars is the price point at which I'd jump in.

Endo Punk

I think people held on to the fact PS4 has superior multiplats and 1080p. There is no way in hell the current exclusives are creating this demand. If MS had not left out gamers from day 1 they would have seen their exclusive games perform better and create more demand for the system.

Interfectum

I should mention that I don't work in electronics, this is just my secondhand view of the situation. But the word "Xbox" is thrown around constantly and I never hear anyone ask or talk about PS4.

It's really weird to hear about other stores having Xboxes sitting on the shelf. I wonder if it's regional or something, like how different areas of the US used to use MSN while other areas used AIM.

East Coast US here.

Southeast Coast US and anecdotally PS4 is killing it here. I could walk into any store on launch day for Xbox and pick one up. PS4's were already spoken for before midnight (line/pre-orders). I asked some of my co-workers what they and/or their 360 playing kids want and all of them have gone with PS4.

What I always hear: "price difference" "power difference" "don't have cable"

kadotsu

Banned
I'm not getting that data from anywhere. I'm just saying that 300 dollars is the price point at which I'd jump in.

Oh, that I can agree with. But I can't see that happening before late 2015 if prices follow a similar trajectory to last gen.

Until there's hard numbers, it's all there is. Here's another example: At Amazon US Xbox One went from 114,500 on the "movers and shakers" top 100 list 3 days ago to #1 today. A jump of 1,638,571%. It has now eclipsed the PS4 on the Top 100 video game items sold for the year sitting at number 12 (PS4 is at 75). Anecdotally Xbox One is kicking PS4's ass. Realistically this has happened because Sony can't supply the demand.

Using Amazons top 2013 best sellers in videogames and the fact that we know that the Ps4 launch editions have been delisted as the skew isn't unique.

We can use the following as evidence:
Controller ranking
DS4 21 | X1 79

Number of top 50 ranked titles.
PS4 3 | X1 0

Number of bundles in the top 100
PS4 1 | X1 0

PS4 versions of multiplats outsell the Xbox One version.

Do you really want to play the let's use Amazon game?

gaming_noob

It would if it wasn't godawful. A lot if not most of their marketing consisted of mitigating damage done during reveal and E3.

*cringe* The biggest standout, and the first thing I think of when I remember the reveal, is a middle aged woman on stage talking about TV deals.

A friend of mine just bought a Xbox One from Target in San Fran. No PS4's in stock...

Its a telling tale.

Depends really...

My target has received 3 shipments of X1 so far. One for launch, one for Black Friday, and another last night. They have received 1 shipment of PS4s so far, which was launch. Demand is super crazy for PS4 though, people calling up all the time for it. Had 4 X1s sitting in the case when I left work at 11PM last night.

Who's to tell how many shipments each store has been getting. For all we know, that San Fran Target has gotten 2 shipments of PS4 and 5 shipments of X1 (which all might have sold through).

Regarding the picture, was I the only one getting nervous for that back stack of PS4s? Dear God, thankfully a new hire didn't walk by it with his face in an iPhone and knock those bad boys over!

SolidC213

From another thread I posted in

Boss asked me to call around my local GameStops to see if they had PS4's and Xbones. First one I called said they had plenty of Xbones but they were sold out on PS4's. The rest I called it was the same story (I called like 5 total) with 1 store being sold out of both.

He went and picked up 10 Xbones with COD Ghosts last week.

Going to be awesome to get me one of those at our Xmas party :).

Pain

Banned
Situation seems to be the opposite in the US, at least in terms of stock. Xbox One seems to be widely available to purchase and even went up on Amazon a few times. PS4? Nowhere to be seen. At this rate, Xbox One may win the holidays in the US purely because people can actually buy them. We already have a ton of evidence they won Black Friday.

OT: Anyone else notice how the PS4 Launch Edition has been removed from the 2013 best-sellers? Previously it used to be #6, now its nowhere to be found, giving the impression that Xbox One is the best selling next-gen console on Amazon, which is false. Anyone know why Amazon did this?

East Coast US here.

I work in electronics as well, albeit in an east coast, New England retail store. People are constantly talking in store about X1, after all, we do have a demo station set up. It's entertaining watching guys try and sell their significant other on the system.

However, LOTS of people call me asking if PS4 is in stock, and sadly, the answer has been no :(

Toki767

A friend of mine just bought a Xbox One from Target in San Fran. No PS4's in stock...

Its a telling tale.

If your friend was looking for a PS4, the Colma Target had some PS4s yesterday around noon. Not sure if they're still available though.

I feel bad for thinking the same thing. I don't want to wish ill on any company, but if the demolition is as bad as it appears its going to be, I wouldnt mind a 300 dollar Titanfall box.

Great minds think alike although I want a DR3 box and would bite at 400 even though the HW isn't up to snuff

There has been, all over if you look for it. Xbone is getting killed all over.

No, I have been looking, and you're wrong. A lot of people in other threads saying to just walk into a Best Buy or other shop are not in the US. They are in Canada or various parts of Europe.

I've been actively looking. Haven't found either console on shelves. Have you????!

GavinGT

Banned
Arizona, Thanksgiving day, Walmart. By the time they handed out bracelets (5pm), there were 7 people in line for Xbox One and 1 for PS4. They had 16 Xbox Ones and 12 PS4s. By 8pm, they had two of each console left unsold.

Pain

Banned
Like you've been told, PS4 Launch Edition has been de-listed from Amazons best-sellers chart. A console doesn't go from being the #6 best-selling product of the year to #75. These are 2 completely different products. One is(was) the launch edition, the other is the BF4 bundle which I expect to get de-listed any day now as well.

Microsoft is kicking Sony's ass in terms of just keeping these consoles in stock. Demand or not, Xbox One may sell better this holiday if Sony doesn't restock.

I think it's more along the lines of they wouldn't pay more than $350. I sure as heck wouldn't either $399 with Kinect, or $300-$350 without it. Why would a Kinectless X1 cost the same as an obviously more powerful PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom