• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anecdotal evidence RE: Xbox One vs PS4 demand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

iMYAdMT27HSpq.gif

The best gif of all time.

UNCMark

Banned
Stopped reading at "anecdotal evidence"...

Until there's hard numbers, it's all there is. Here's another example: At Amazon US Xbox One went from 114,500 on the "movers and shakers" top 100 list 3 days ago to #1 today. A jump of 1,638,571%. It has now eclipsed the PS4 on the Top 100 video game items sold for the year sitting at number 12 (PS4 is at 75). Anecdotally Xbox One is kicking PS4's ass. Realistically this has happened because Sony can't supply the demand.

Tsundere

Banned
I was at Best Buy picking up my television. The guy ringing up my order mentioned that they had received a dozen PS4s in earlier that morning, made an in-store announcement over the PA and they were gone in minutes.

The #thirst is real.

So you admit to not reading the OP and still responded anyways?

B85sbcd.gif

I've never heard Best Buy make a PA announcement about product availability... lol

Must've been like "what?!"

beast786

I was at Best Buy picking up my television. The guy ringing up my order mentioned that they had received a dozen PS4s in earlier that morning, made an in-store announcement over the PA and they were gone in minutes.

The #thirst is real.

image.php

please dont ban me

Signs seem to point to PS4 > XB One WW, but I really hope that somehow we get hard info so that we won't always reside in this swamp of truthiness.

And once we know WHAT, I hope we can figure out WHY. I feel like the price difference is and will continue to be a big factor, aside from anything else.

It's nice to hope for things, though.

graywolf323

Until there's hard numbers, it's all there is. Here's another example: At Amazon US Xbox One went from 114,500 on the "movers and shakers" top 100 list 3 days to #1 today. A jump of 1,638,571%. It has now eclipsed the PS4 on the Top 100 video game items sold for the year sitting at number 12 (PS4 is at 75). Anecdotally Xbox One is kicking PS4's ass. Realistically this has happened because Sony can't supply the demand.

I think something might be wrong with Amazon's list, the launch edition PS4 is nowhere to be seen despite previously being as high as the top ten

edit: you should have noted the only PS4 to make the list all the way down at 75 was the BF4 bundle which alone gives away that something is off

Interfectum

Until there's hard numbers, it's all there is. Here's another example: At Amazon US Xbox One went from 114,500 on the "movers and shakers" top 100 list 3 days ago to #1 today. A jump of 1,638,571%. It has now eclipsed the PS4 on the Top 100 video game items sold for the year sitting at number 12 (PS4 is at 75). Anecdotally Xbox One is kicking PS4's ass. Realistically this has happened because Sony can't supply the demand.

You can't really go by that I don't think. Their Xbox / PS4 systems in the best sellers lists have been screwed up for awhile (day one, launch day, normal). For example, the PS4 at 75 you mentioned is now listed as the launch day version when before it was the normal version sitting in the top 10. Do you really think all of those games (including the PSP) all of a sudden sold so much that it pushed the PS4 from #6 all the way to #75 for the year?

I don't find it surprising at all. Sony has made nearly all of the right moves too attract gamers with the ps4. Cheaper, more powerful and they sent that "games first" mentality to gamers who loved that.

shandy706

Do we not have anyone here, proven through a mod, that works in gaming/electronics stores in the US?

I would think we would have quite a few here...then again, maybe we're all successful business men working in higher level jobs and/or people with other/no jobs.

I suppose a lot of gamers never actually work with gaming hardware/sales.

txag2005

Banned
I still would be suprised if Sony has anything but a slight lead in the US, at least for now. Plenty of American gamers who are looking to just keep within the Xbox Live ecosystem. With that said, being neck in neck with Sony in the US is basically a loss for MS overall.

Really curious about how it's going specifically in the US, though.

I work at a large retail store and we have people lining up nearly every morning for Xboxes. They sell out instantly. People are constantly calling the store to ask if they're in stock.

I don't think I've even heard the word "PS4" since launch. No one asks for them. But we also don't have any in stock, so I have no idea what's going on really.

Ragnarok

Signs seem to point to PS4 > XB One WW, but I really hope that somehow we get hard info so that we won't always reside in this swamp of truthiness.

And once we know WHAT, I hope we can figure out WHY. I feel like the price difference is and will continue to be a big factor, aside from anything else.

It's nice to hope for things, though.

Price is definitely the biggest factor, in my opinion. Going from $400 --> $500 is pretty huge to most people.

StoopKid

Lol going by that logic ni no kuni has outsold the ps4.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think that Microsoft and Sony is going to sell almost the same in US and UK, with a slightly edge to Sony, but in Europe there is no question. Sony is going to dominate.

Nope. Sony will dominate in all regions. MS are in trouble.

UNCMark

Banned
I think something might be wrong with Amazon's list, the launch edition PS4 is nowhere to be seen despite previously being as high as the top ten

edit: you should have noted the only PS4 to make the list all the way down at 75 was the BF4 bundle which alone gives away that something is off

I just want to know by their metric how many units would have to sell to equal a 1.6 million percent jump.

Lol going by that logic ni no kuni has outsold the ps4.

It's Amazon Math, don't question it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
So I guess the moral of the story is.... Demand is higher for PS4? Is this still news now? We knew this way before the systems launched.

That's because the PS4 launch edition has been delisted from Amazon. Presumably, Amazon has not done the same for the Xbox One because the day one edition is actually a unique product and is being sold by third parties.

If you go to the PS4, you have to find a bundle and then select just the console. The console, with no "launch" or other signifier, is not ranked there either.

The PS4 also has over double the reviews (4k vs 1.7k). I'm going to assume there's some correlation between sales and number of reviews.

Finally, that PS4 with game bundle that's only at number 74? It has sold better than every single Xbox One game this year except COD: Ghosts, which sits at #69. There are 3 PS4 games in the top 40. COD: Ghosts is the only Xbox One game in the top 100. If there's any story about PS4 vs. Xbox One coming from Amazon, it still heavily favors the PS4.

tickling

Banned
Shall we mention that game Belfast are selling the ps4 without 'preorders' but in bundles so that could be the stock? Colleague of mine walked into game Belfast (opposite McDonald's) to get one all they selling ps4 at £500+ bundles to take home on the day

UNCMark

Banned
Good. Hopefully this will lead to a price drop so I can buy one.

I feel bad for thinking the same thing. I don't want to wish ill on any company, but if the demolition is as bad as it appears its going to be, I wouldnt mind a 300 dollar Titanfall box.

Majmun

Cheaper and more powerful. This huge PS4 demand is not really shocking.

I expect the rest of the gen to stay in Sony's favor.

Naminator

Banned
Too many factors to really consider this as any sort of evidence really.

These consoles have only just been released and both of them will be constricted by supply for the rest of 2013, especially due to Christmas/New Year coming up.

What I don't understand is why everyone so obsessed with these anecdotal "evidence" for these consoles, seems to me like nothing more than console war bullshit. Because let's face it, all we have to do is wait until Q1-Q2 of 2014 and then we can start comparing the numbers month by month without any supply issues making comparisons difficult.

Really curious about how it's going specifically in the US, though.

I work at a large retail store and we have people lining up nearly every morning for Xboxes. They sell out instantly. People are constantly calling the store to ask if they're in stock.

I don't think I've even heard the word "PS4" since launch. No one asks for them. But we also don't have any in stock, so I have no idea what's going on really.

Well that's curious

I know several people that call around asking about both tbh

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Amazon list is goofed, it lacks the main SKU for the PS4, unless you think the PSP is outselling the PS4?

The BF4 bundle is not the best selling SKU, look at the number if user reviews.

Colocho

Banned
The pic in the OP doesn't even have WiiUs in it, that must mean they're sold out and are selling like hot cakes!

Reallink

I saw Xbone's sitting on shelves at a couple stores Black Friday afternoon. PS4 US demand doesn't seem much higher though based on second hand street values. $500-$550 is low for an item you can't find in stores, and as compared to Wii and PS360 launch Holiday valuations.

Nope. Sony will dominate in all regions. MS are in trouble.

I wouldn't say they're in trouble. 1 million in a day is nothing to scoff at. If they bring their price down I'm sure their fortunes will change.

I'm heavily invested in the PS ecosystem but I'm sure for most people if they were at the store comparing consoles and both were $400 it'd be a much better sell for MS.

I feel bad for thinking the same thing. I don't want to wish ill on any company, but if the demolition is as bad as it appears its going to be, I wouldnt mind a 300 dollar Titanfall box.

That game in the box with that motion camera of theirs for $499 wouldn't get you in the door?

Ricky_R

The #thirst is real.

So you admit to not reading the OP and still responded anyways?

B85sbcd.gif

haha

Can't think of a more apt gif.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I saw Xbone's sitting on shelves at a couple stores Black Friday afternoon. PS4 US demand doesn't seem much higher though based on second hand street values. $500-$550 is low for an item you can't find in stores, and as compared to Wii and PS360 launch Holiday valuations.

In my area craigslist PS4s are up from $650 to $850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom