• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angela Rye absolutely sons Joe Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derwind

She fucking ethered him. The guy was actually trying to imply Donald Trump has had the same legislative experience as someone who is;

-Harvard "Magna Cum Laude" Law graduate.
-Former civil rights attorney
-Former Law professor
-Former Illnois State Senator
-Former US Senator
-Former Two-Term president

Trump can't even hold Barracks fucking shoes. Let alone pretend he has anywhere near his experience.

Angela Rye has been going at it hard with the crazier Republican goons for a while now.
She always fighting the good fight <3

PS: listen to her on The Brilliant podcasts too, she's amazing there.

I like Angela but that clip only shows why I don't watch CNN. Still trying to appear as fair and balanced.

"Please respect each other." Yeah, how about no...

Gattsu25

Banned
We get it. You guys missed out on popular 1990s-2010s slang.
brand new to me

Welcome to the 90s
"Please be respectful."
giphy.gif

Man I love our "allies."
Look at the ass garbage from the CNN host. Please respect each other!!!!

Fuck off.
Tell me about it.

Jokab

What major incidents surrounding Obama makes Angela say that "he had to be the next best thing after Jesus"? Maybe those things were not reported as widely here in Sweden, or maybe it's because I wasn't as interested in American politics back then, but I can't recall if I've heard of those things. I can only recall the birth certificate issue, and while that was a nasty event it's the only one I can recall personally. If someone could mention a few things or briefly show how the standards were higher for Obama that would be appreciated. To be clear I'm not being disingenuous here, I'm genuinely interested.

BigDug13

I've heard of son as a verb but always passive voice and past tense. Like "got sonned." Don't remember ever seeing it like "she was sonning him" or "she sons him".

"Joe Walsh got sonned by Angela Rye" or "watch Joe Walsh get sonned by Angela Rye" would be more my expectation I guess.

I like Angela but that clip only shows why I don't watch CNN. Still trying to appear as fair and balanced.

Indeed but it's the reality of what many people have to go through on a daily basis when we have any sort of discussion on subjects of racism, homophobia, sexism, islamphobia. People who see themselves as left leaning are quick to advocate "respect" and try to pretend that someone holding racist/bigoted views is simply a "difference in opinion" and that the oppressed side arguing for their humanity should still be "respectful" while the other side holds their position of basically "you're subhuman".

Oppo

We get it. You guys missed out on popular 1990s-2010s slang.

Welcome to the 90s

seriously? can you give me some examples?

because I really have never heard this before in this context. I was in my 20s in the 90s.

not to derail. just surprised.

This was also the one time I went through the comments about a video involving race and wasn't disappointed. Go youtube community

Slayven

What major incidents surrounding Obama makes Angela say that "he had to be the next best thing after Jesus"? Maybe those things were not reported as widely here in Sweden, or maybe it's because I wasn't as interested in American politics back then, but I can't recall if I've heard of those things. I can only recall the birth certificate issue, and while that was a nasty event it's the only one I can recall personally. If someone could mention a few things or briefly show how the standards were higher for Obama that would be appreciated. To be clear I'm not being disingenuous here, I'm genuinely interested.

She was using Jesus as a synonym for "Perfect", there is a saying in America "Black people have to be twice as good, to get half as much as white people". No one in the history of American politics was as scandal free as Barrack, they literally had to create fantasies to try to hang something on him.

Brashnir

I've heard of son as a verb but always passive voice and past tense. Like "got sonned." Don't remember ever seeing it like "she was sonning him" or "she sons him".

"Joe Walsh got sonned by Angela Rye" or "watch Joe Walsh get sonned by Angela Rye" would be more my expectation I guess.

Slang Grammar Lessons.

should be an SNL skit

Derwind

Yeah that really pissed me off. Like she became so uncomfortable the moment the word bigot was appropriately dished out.

I would have let slip far worse words than that had I been there.

Jokab

She was using Jesus as a synonym for "Perfect", there is a saying in America "Black people have to be twice as good, to get half as much as white people". No one in the history of American politics was as scandal free as Barrack, they literally had to create fantasies to try to hang something on him.

Yeah I think I understood that's what she was getting at. What I mean is, isn't Obama universally one of the most liked presidents at least in modern times? Isn't that partly a product of him being pretty much scandal free? I mean I realize that the expression you quote holds true for a lot of PoC, but I'm not sure how it holds for Obama. Maybe there's something I'm not fully understanding here. Or am I being unclear?

Pretty much. Hell just compare Obama's qualifications to become President to Trump's (or even Romney's) and it becomes impossible to argue otherwise.

Sons is a verb now?

A Deadspin article used "sons" in its title re: Jose Bautista telling off some ignorant Toronto sportswriter on Twitter a couple years ago. The comments for the article were mostly the readers thinking Bautista's children were in a Twitter beef with a journalist, the rest mocking the author for his verb choice.

Slayven

Yeah I think I understood that's what she was getting at. What I mean is, isn't Obama universally one of the most liked presidents at least in modern times? Isn't that partly a product of him being pretty much scandal free? I mean I realize that the expression you quote holds true for a lot of PoC, but I'm not sure how it holds for Obama. Maybe there's something I'm not fully understanding here. Or am I being unclear?

There is a good chunk of America that still believes he is an African that tricked his way into the white house to kill white people. No matter what reality and facts tell them

A common compliant from the GOP was Obama was too prepared, that he gave too much thought to his words

Fast Forward to trump and the same people say take it easy on Trump he doesn't know being president was going to be so hard

Enzom21

He's well liked by his supporters and people who aren't racists. Just look at all of the people who absolutely hate "Obamacare" even though they rely on it. He is not universally well liked.

jett

D-Member
I'm not able to watch any video at the moment, but that's the argument for saying that Obama, an Ivy graduate, law professor, noted orator, and former Senator, is an example of affirmative action or lowered standards for the presidency?

Joe Walsh actually tries to make the case that Obama was just as inexperienced as Trump, and then Angela hits him exactly with that.

What an absolute moron that guy is.

zero_suit

There is a good chunk of America that still believes he is an African that tricked his way into the white house to kill white people. No matter what reality and facts tell them

A common compliant from the GOP was Obama was too prepared, that he gave too much thought to his words

Fast Forward to trump and the same people say take it easy on Trump he doesn't know being president was going to be so hard

They made fun of him for using teleprompters.

SDCowboy

just because you never experienced something doesn't mean it isn't a thing. Never tasted pumpkin spice, but i don't doubt it exists

I never said it wasn't a thing. I'm just asking what the heck it means as I, and obliviously many others, have never heard it used as a verb before.

He's well liked by his supporters and people who aren't racists. Just look at all of the people who absolutely hate "Obamacare" even though they rely on it. He is not universally well liked.

He is ironically ranked as the second or third best president since WW2 in popularity polls, and simultaneously ranked as the first or second worst president as well since WW2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...nts_of_the_United_States#2017_Quinnipiac_poll

For those outside the USA, the country is fairly static: 44% of VOTING americans think democrats can do absolutely no wrong, 44% think republicans do absolutely no wrong, and elections are decided in that small 7-9% of VOTERS who flip back and forth every decade (the other 3-5% vote 3d party). They went Bill Clinton in the 90s, George Bush in the 2000s, Obama in the 2010s, and Trump in 2016.

Gotta love how they always try to turn it around as if they weren't the ones to bring up race first. Disappointed that the host didn't call him out on it. I mean, she read the tweet herself, out loud. He brought it up, not her.

So frustrating to watch. I do think it would go a long way, in an effort to disarm people from these weak ass defenses, is to instead of calling him a bigot for that tweet, is to say that the tweet itself is bigoted.

"I didn't say YOU were a racist, I said you made a racist statement. Now defend it or rebuke it."

Boils down to that in order to get a black man in office, he had to have zero controversy or political/social scandals during his entire time in public life.

Obama was virtually spotless as far as politicians and celebrities go, catered to diplomacy for much of his presidency (rather than vilifying the right as hardcore liberals preferred) and still spent much of his presidency being subject to baseless rumors of being in a secret Muslim cabal dedicated to destroying Israel and the US. Oh, and that he hates white people which is why he expressed sympathy for victims of police violence.

Imm0rt4l

Also, wtf at "Why use the B word?" Are we actually equating calling someone a bigot to using words like, for lack of a better phrase, the n-word?
The moderator is trash. She's the same woman who c r ied crocodile tears because someone quotes the n word on her show. Cable news is performative bullshit.

theWB27

Gotta love how they always try to turn it around as if they weren't the ones to bring up race first. Disappointed that the host didn't call him out on it. I mean, she read the tweet herself, out loud. He brought it up, not her.

So frustrating to watch. I do think it would go a long way, in an effort to disarm people from these weak ass defenses, is to instead of calling him a bigot for that tweet, is to say that the tweet itself is bigoted.

"I didn't say YOU were a racist, I said you made a racist statement. Now defend it or rebuke it."

Nah... let the bigot own their bigot ass remarks. In no way should their actions/ words be disconnected from the person.

Call a spade a spade

andycapps

Yeah she destroyed him. Yet I'm sure the talk radio echo chamber will talk about her "pulling the race card" and how Walsh actually won this.

zero_suit

Coddling racists accomplishes nothing.

Joe Walsh wasn't interested in defending his position. He just wanted to incense Angela Rye (and try and present himself as the "adult" in the argument to viewers) muddy the waters and run out the clock on the segment.

That's how jerks like him operate.

televator

"We can have different opinions." Hear that? CNN lady thinks racism is just a different opinion that needs to be heard.

She's sorry her little segment didn't go the way she planned more than having that shit head on defending his racist tweet.

Bladenic

I'm glad there's at least one person not putting up with conservacunts and their crazy ass rhetoric and alternative facts. Sadly she's fighting a lonesome battle against deaf ears.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
"Why do you gotta use the B word"

PLEASE Angela Rye has the patience of a fucking saint with this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom