• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angina's tough!!" Rock Band 2 Track And Spec Info (& Dreams) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
P-P-P-Panama? Is the name of a drum tutorial?

Is this a sign that Harmonix finally got its biggest wish and got Panama in one of their games. Man, if that is true, HOLY SHIT.

borghe said:
I need this.

And This:

ME!!! said:
MEGATON

First off, the career mode. Rock Band 2 cuts the solo world tour, and it makes the concept of a "band" more flexible. Any number of people, online or off, can join a band: you can play by yourself with three steady non-player characters of your own design

Any number of people, online or off, can join a band: you can play by yourself with three steady non-player characters of your own design

you can play by yourself with three steady non-player characters of your own design

steady non-player characters of your own design

own design

own design

own design

KATE DAMMIT ROCK IS BACK IN FUCKING BUSINESS.

:lol

In the band world tour, you'll still compete for cash and fans, but you'll have more variables to play with. You can hire staff – promoters, your mom – to support your band or find new gigs. A risk and reward system will complicate the business end: hire a sleezy accountant and you may clear more money from a successful gig, or you may get robbed if you underperform. I couldn't tell how engaging this will be, and for detail, it can't compete with Shady O'Grady's Rising Star – but it gives spreadsheet wonks a few more tools to play with.

MY GOD.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
PhoncipleBone said:
P-P-P-Panama? Is the name of a drum tutorial?

Is this a sign that Harmonix finally got its biggest wish and got Panama in one of their games. Man, if that is true, HOLY SHIT.
the day panama is announced for ANY game (GHWT or RB2) I will leave work early, go to gamestop, and place my FULLY PAID pre-order for it right then and there, sight unseen. I will then call the store every day for up to two weeks before launch date to see if by some chance they got the game in early and I can pick it up.

Such a small price to pay for one of the top 5 greatest rock tracks of all time.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
BB beat me, but some more notes:

- ...two of the team members dropped hints about a different initiative: a path to bring more indie bands onto the Rock Band platform
- ...a "party-safe" mode keeps newcomers from accidentally hitting the wrong button and backing everybody out when you're trying to start the song
- Your characters don't have to stick to one instrument, giving you the flexibility to jump from guitar to drums
- You'll also be able to play whole albums automatically in the right order
- A risk and reward system will complicate the business end (of BWT)
- ...the list of stars, including some serious legends, and one get that really surprised me (speculate away, boys!)
- ...you can buy the improved kit with a metal-reinforced pedal, quieter, velocity-sensitive pads, and wireless support on all platforms

Amneisac

I'm definitely excited about this Indie Initiative. I really hope that means we can start to see some more indie rock in the game. Even 'more popular' indie groups like Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Modest Mouse, Pavement, etc. I would pledge undying allegiance to Harmonix (again) if they make that happen.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
borghe said:
so are we basically two months away from this sucker????????

Two long, tall months.

As if summer wasn't unbearable enough as-is.

Amneisac said:
I'm definitely excited about this Indie Initiative. I really hope that means we can start to see some more indie rock in the game. Even 'more popular' indie groups like Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Modest Mouse, Pavement, etc. I would pledge undying allegiance to Harmonix (again) if they make that happen.

That's fine, but I want them to go way deeper. Groups most people haven't heard of. Foals, Evils That Never Came, Forward Russia!, Say Hi, Suburban Kids With Biblical Names... if I was at home with my iPod I could rattle off dozens of bands that this would help.

XShagrath

I posted over in the RB1 thread with all of my thoughts on this new AVClub article. Amazing stuff!

That being said, people obviously don't realize that there are threads for RB1 *AND* RB2 and we're getting a lot of cross-pollination. Rock Band is a platform, so why can't one thread be used to talk about said platform? I don't know if that's against the rules or not, but I think it would clean things up a bit.

XShagrath said:
I posted over in the RB1 thread with all of my thoughts on this new AVClub article. Amazing stuff!

That being said, people obviously don't realize that there are threads for RB1 *AND* RB2 and we're getting a lot of cross-pollination. Rock Band is a platform, so why can't one thread be used to talk about said platform? I don't know if that's against the rules or not, but I think it would clean things up a bit.

thats what I was thinking. RB2 talk needs to be merged into the RB1 thread with a new title and the updated info.

XShagrath said:

Yeah, it's a tough call. I keep trying to divert traffic over here, but it's tough, as you can't shut down the old thread, as the game still thrives every week. But I think it's not the best idea to keep it in one thread, as that OP is way beyond the image and length threshold for editing.

That being said, I think there's a clear differential between RB1 discussion (the latest DLC) and RB2 discussion (most everything else).

I think people just need to start using this thread more.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, it's a tough call. I keep trying to divert traffic over here, but it's tough, as you can't shut down the old thread, as the game still thrives every week. But I think it's not the best idea to keep it in one thread, as that OP is way beyond the image and length threshold for editing.

That being said, I think there's a clear differential between RB1 discussion (the latest DLC) and RB2 discussion (most everything else).

I think people just need to start using this thread more.

the RB1 thread is like home though man.....its tuff to leave home. =(

BigBlackGamer said:
the RB1 thread is like home though man.....its tuff to leave home. =(

You don't have to. RB DLC is still fully compatible with the original thread and all the awesomeness will be carried over to the new one.

:D

BenjaminBirdie said:
You don't have to. RB DLC is still fully compatible with the original thread and all the awesomeness will be carried over to the new one.

:D

I have all my hayley pics and my repeated requests for paramore & coldplay in the old thread though. ;)

sneaky77 said:
i think talking all things rockband in the original is just fine... but Benjamin likes his thread.. :lol

They're both my threads. I love them both equally. I just think there's room, and discussion enough, for both.

XShagrath

BenjaminBirdie said:
Who cares about keeping all the important info in the OP? I thought forums were meant for discussion and if you need info, you read the whole thread. Hell, I always read a full thread before I even post (so as not to answer a question that's already answered or say something that's already said several times). If that means reading 15-20 pages of a thread before posting, so be it. But at least I'll be more informed than other people who just hit the OP and that's it.

XShagrath said:
Who cares about keeping all the important info in the OP? I thought forums were meant for discussion and if you need info, you read the whole thread. Hell, I always read a full thread before I even post (so as not to answer a question that's already answered or say something that's already said several times). If that means reading 15-20 pages of a thread before posting, so be it. But at least I'll be more informed than other people who just hit the OP and that's it.

what about 466 pages? :p

now im just flip flopping. :lol

XShagrath said:

*shrugs*

That's usually the whole point of info threads.

I mean, there's going to be a final, official Rock Band 2 thread. This is just for info and speculation. And the OP is intended to be a collection of such for easy reference. It's kind of a thing here.

Tenks

I read over on Kotaku that the strum bar for the guitar will be "stiffer"

My main gripe with RB was always the guitar. I prefer the GH one to the RB one (and I own a PS3...) Has anyone heard any other impressions about the new guitar? Does stiffer mean the strum bar will be more responsive and feel less sloppy?

Tenks said:

My main gripe with RB was always the guitar. I prefer the GH one to the RB one (and I own a PS3...) Has anyone heard any other impressions about the new guitar? Does stiffer mean the strum bar will be more responsive and feel less sloppy?

I would imagine so, as that was the primary complaint towards it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
XShagrath said:

I'm glad you don't write textbooks.

Mrbob

So the RB2 and instruments are shipping all seperately? Hmmm. I'm hoping there is still a super package at a slightly discounted price. I know amazon had something posted but this could have been a placeholder.

XShagrath

zesty said:
I'm glad you don't write textbooks.
If I was putting together a webpage or something to that effect, then sure, I'd put all the information in one place. I see a thread as an evolving creature, and it grows as there's more information, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all new info needs to be added to the OP. That just means that someone could go to the 1st post, get all the new info, and never read anyone else's posts for differing opinions or individual insights.

Anyways, I think this this has been mulled over enough, and we can continue with our regularly scheduled RB2 discussion.

sneaky77

Tenks said:

There are no impressions of the new guitar yet. I am guessing next week we will hear more about the new instruments when the press gets a hold of them

XShagrath said:
I see a thread as an evolving creature, and it grows as there's more information, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all new info needs to be added to the OP.

Don't take this the wrong way, seriously, because I'm just trying to point this out for your edification as a new member, it's common practice to keep an OP of an Info Thread filled with any new developments.

Bigfoot

BenjaminBirdie said:
Don't take this the wrong way, seriously, because I'm just trying to point this out for your edification as a new member, it's common practice to keep an OP of an Info Thread filled with any new developments.
I think what GAF needs is it's own Wiki for game info and the OP could just link to the Wiki. Sometimes the thread starter isn't dedicated enough to update the OP.

Magik

Preview from G4: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/686859/Rock_Band_2_Official_Tracks_Details_Announced.html

Gameplay footage on Friday, July 11 (1:00 - 1:30 AM, ET/PT):

"GameTrailers TV with Geoff Keighley" (GTTV): E3 Preview

Three days before Xbox hosts its E3 press conference, GTTV heads to Epic Games in North Carolina to meet lead designer Cliff Bleszinski for a sneak preview of Gears of War 2, including world premiere footage from the campaign and multiplayer modes. Then, Spike presents world premieres of some of the biggest titles at E3, including the exclusive sneak peek at the E3 trailer for Bethesda Softworks' Fallout 3; the global debut of Harmonix and MTV Games' Rock Band 2 game footage; Amanda MacKay visits ThatGameCompany to reveal Flower for the PLAYSTATION?3; Spike unveils the next playable faction in Warhammer? 40,000™: Dawn of War? II; and, in a not to be missed event, GTTV presents the world exclusive reveal trailer for the next game from BioWare.

Porthos said:
I think what GAF needs is it's own Wiki for game info and the OP could just link to the Wiki. Sometimes the thread starter isn't dedicated enough to update the OP.

Usually, at least in this instance, the creator of a dedicated, "official" info thread understands the responsibility.

Struct09

Magik said:
Preview from G4: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/686859/Rock_Band_2_Official_Tracks_Details_Announced.html

Gameplay footage on Friday, July 11 (1:00 - 1:30 AM, ET/PT):

"GameTrailers TV with Geoff Keighley" (GTTV): E3 Preview

Three days before Xbox hosts its E3 press conference, GTTV heads to Epic Games in North Carolina to meet lead designer Cliff Bleszinski for a sneak preview of Gears of War 2, including world premiere footage from the campaign and multiplayer modes. Then, Spike presents world premieres of some of the biggest titles at E3, including the exclusive sneak peek at the E3 trailer for Bethesda Softworks' Fallout 3; the global debut of Harmonix and MTV Games' Rock Band 2 game footage; Amanda MacKay visits ThatGameCompany to reveal Flower for the PLAYSTATION?3; Spike unveils the next playable faction in Warhammer? 40,000™: Dawn of War? II; and, in a not to be missed event, GTTV presents the world exclusive reveal trailer for the next game from BioWare.

Beat you a couple pages back with the GTTV news, but you were nice enough to print it out :p

DuckRacer

Porthos said:
That's actually a fantastic idea.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DGRP said:
Hopefully there's more to it in the Drum Training.

'Cause right now it sounds :lol.

"RB2 is just a song pack!"
"RB2 is just a song pack with minor fixes!"
"RB2 is just a song pack with minor fixes, drum training, the ability to drum freestyle over mp3s, DLC backwards compatibility, instruments improvements!"

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Drum training sounds like it could be incredible, especially if they teach different time signatures, paradiddles and other rudiments, how to properly use the rebound to your advantage, etc. etc. The potential is huge.

EazyB

Banned
I like what they've revealed but I'm still hoping for a little more. I'm excited to see what they have in store for the drums as they are what I play almost exclusively and my old set is showing its age (and use). I wouldn't mind shelling out some more cast for a newer, improved piece of plastic.

sneaky77

dave is ok said:
Drum training sounds like it could be incredible, especially if they teach different time signatures, paradiddles and other rudiments, how to properly use the rebound to your advantage, etc. etc. The potential is huge.

yeah if they are talking about it, I hope is better than the tutorial on rb1

Charron said:
BB beat me, but some more notes:

- ...two of the team members dropped hints about a different initiative: a path to bring more indie bands onto the Rock Band platform
- ...a "party-safe" mode keeps newcomers from accidentally hitting the wrong button and backing everybody out when you're trying to start the song
- Your characters don't have to stick to one instrument, giving you the flexibility to jump from guitar to drums
- You'll also be able to play whole albums automatically in the right order
- A risk and reward system will complicate the business end (of BWT)
- ...the list of stars, including some serious legends, and one get that really surprised me (speculate away, boys!)
- ...you can buy the improved kit with a metal-reinforced pedal, quieter, velocity-sensitive pads, and wireless support on all platforms
List of stars? Is the game gonna have the actual artists in it or jusr songs?

Struct09

robut said:
List of stars? Is the game gonna have the actual artists in it or jusr songs?

Judging by the context, they were referring to the artists on the song list.

As for the setlist, only ten songs have been announced publically, and it looks very strong. I can't even tell you the best song I played during my demo (though the Journey track rocked). But the rest will be announced "soon," according to Harmonix PR Coordinator John Drake. Here's the starting list:

[10 announced tracks]

The record industry's new enthusiasm for the game shows in the list of stars, including some serious legends, and one get that really surprised me. And this time, all 80+ tracks use the original masters.

I'm probably going to buy Rock Band 2 game only and maybe the guitar if it does seem to be better. Or maybe the GHWT guitar if it works with Rock Band 2.

Ten-Song

Being able to create an actual BAND in single player now sounds great, because it means I won't have to see that god damn heavy metal rocker guy singing El Scorcho.

Ten-Song said:
Being able to create an actual BAND in single player now sounds great, because it means I won't have to see that god damn heavy metal rocker guy singing El Scorcho.

I'm just honestly thrilled that I'll really be able to make and keep my LOST band.

And now judging by the hat in the screenshots, my Top Chef band.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ten-Song said:

Agreed. Got sick of those base characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom