• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

Twookie

this thread has proven why AJ gets his own thread

angry joe sucks, his reviews suck, his facial hair sucks, his website sucks, his friends suck, his mother sucks and so does his dog... The only one that doesnt suck is his girlfriend which must be why he is so angry.

great post m8

angry joe sucks, his reviews suck, his facial hair sucks, his website sucks, his friends suck, his mother sucks and so does his dog... The only one that doesnt suck is his girlfriend which must be why he is so angry.

Wow, this is fucking awful. If you have nothing constructive to add I'd suggest you don't bother posting.

EvB

Ok, but this thread is not talking about other games, that probably received the same criticism, and just because they also do it, does not excuse said criticism.

Seriously.

So by your and the person I was quoting's definition (and Angry Joe's?), open world games are objectively better by their ability to let the player go anywhere and have fewer constraints set by the developer?

All these months waiting for an approved account only let to this.

Seriously.

So by your and the person I was quoting's definition (and Angry Joe's?), open world games are objectively better by their ability to let the player go anywhere and have fewer constraints set by the developer?

I think the original guy you quoted was mistaken. Joes main beef with that stuff was the inconsistency. There are occasions where you can open doors with your time powers, and others where you can't. There are times where your character can climb up on things, but times where they can't climb things of the same height or lower. The game isn't consistent in what you can and can't do.

That's my understanding of his complaint.

All these months waiting for an approved account only let to this.

He's probably waiting to get banned so he can take a screenshot and post it on Reddit and show people how awesomly he trolled us with his sick troll post.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seriously.

No, lol.

It went over your head.

"Other Games Do it Too™" is a silly attempt to stifle criticism or strawman a conversation.

Osahi

You were complaining about lack of emotional attachment to this person because you hadn't spent any time getting to know her.

That's exactly the situation Paul is in: she's some random girl who saw too much, he has no emotional attachment to her. Other than as a fellow human being.

Now are you going to
murder her,
or are you going to
use her to front the PR campaign
? i.e. what kind of a man are you?

I get what you mean. But i think you,don't get what I point at. I, as a player, don't give a flying f*** about Paul or Monarch at that point.

So, i don't know the girl -> as a player I am not emotionally challenged with this decision

Also, i have no affinity with Paul at all -> there is no weight behind the decision, because i don't identify with the character making the decision. You literally play him for maybe 5 to 10 minutes during the whole game, and he barely has scenes in the tv show too, as most of the screentime goes to the annoying hackerdude and burke

The fact you make choices as Paul is an ill advised one, and makes that the choices don't really work on an emotional level. If your choices would have actually meant something to Jack gameplaywise or storywise, it might have worked.

My point was, games like Telltales TWD and Heavy Rain and LiS did the whole binary choice thing way better. (And this all came from my remark QB does nothing new narratively and is 't innovative like Remedy wants younto believe)

holygeesus

Banned
From the Angry Joe Livestream

Agreed, so I took (probably wasted) my time to show an example of not honest criticism and observation.

-----------------------------------------------

The following is dialog from Joe during one of their streams.

They're playing the game and have to get through a gate. I would assume Joe has put the time into this game to know this area by now. Right?

BelovedPastelArcticfox.gif

Joe: "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!"
Joe: "This gaaaame! (laughing) This game!! (laughing)"

(pause while acting annoyed by game and rubbing face/head)

Joe: "Stupid fucking invisible walls! That's hilarious."

(lets slow that down)

AbleImpishKillerwhale.gif

Invisible walls...right Joe?

On the fourth try they finally get through the gate with the time freeze/blast (the easiest "puzzle" in the game).

HelplessFreeBaldeagle.gif

Now...I guess we find out Joe HASN'T put any time into this area...

Joe: "But still! He didn't use the RIIIIIGHT...He didn't use the riiight (does quotation fingers) time power." (Continues implying you can only do things one way) "You have to use the riiiight time power."

Joe: (responding to character's conversation) "No you can't, you can't control time...what do you think this is Quantum Break?" (after all, you can only do things one way)

------------------

Hmmm, so do these play sessions influence Joe's review? Did Joe actually play these sections and figure out there isn't just one way? Did he figure out that these invisible walls were often him or other players with him not pulling things off correctly?

Let us go fire up the game..I.. I assume Joe has played that part (multiple times). The way he's acting these invisible walls and only "one way" to do things has to be right. Why would he keep harping on it?

Here we go..

GenuineEmbarrassedKoodoo.gif

..imagine that...very first try, with the "wrooong" time power, that you apparently can't use. Boy, that invisible wall and only one way to do things sure messed me up.

Lets try screwing around now. Lets see if that "invisible wall" Joe moaned, and overeacted about ever gets in my way.

SingleFavorableIberianemeraldlizard.gif

Surely I couldn't go through the gate multiple times with multiple powers even. Surely you can only go through the gate one way...I mean..there has to be an invisible wall there at some point.

LimpFortunateAbyssiniancat.gif

(shrug..haha)

Anyway, this is just one of multiple situations where comments he's made isn't accurate. Not everything he talks about is off-base, but his stuff makes me do some double takes when I know for a fact what he's saying is not right.

I like a challenge. He's right on a lot of his points...but you know what...he's also a showman..and at times disingenuous.

He still has a point though because there are numerous locations throughout the game, where you can turn back time by pressing 'Y' to a time where the door was open, to progress through it. The game itself seems to dictate when and where you can do this though. Is it ever explained why you can open some doors this way and not others?

BigDug13

The same could be said for literally any game where you have guns and grenades.

And it's equally dumb in those games. Just because we put up with immersion breaking shit for years now doesn't mean we are suddenly supposed to accept it and never offer criticism about it.

Really is astounding how Joe threads bring out the manchildren in full force.

dt2

Banned
He still has a point though because there are numerous locations throughout the game, where you can turn back time by pressing 'Y' to a time where the door was open, to progress through it. The game itself seems to dictate when and where you can do this though. Is it ever explained why you can open some doors this way and not others?

Yep, when you run across your first one there's a short cutscene and a voice over explaining how he could turn back time on some objects. If I remember correctly they were called "triggers" and it was because some items were stuck in a bubble of time that he could manipulate. He goes on to say that he doesn't know how/why this happens (probably something to do with the time fracture) and also that the time manipulation is only temporary and the objects will eventually revert back. It was an explained game mechanic, not just something thrown on the player.

holygeesus

Banned
Yep, when you run across your first one there's a short cutscene and a voice over explaining how he could turn back time on some objects. If I remember correctly they were called "triggers" and it was because some items were stuck in a bubble of time that he could manipulate. He goes on to say that he doesn't know how/why this happens (probably something to do with the time fracture) and also that the time manipulation is only temporary and the objects will eventually revert back.

So in other words, when the designers want you to be able to use your powers? It seems a cop-out really by forcing you down a set path. The game does this a lot in other ways too, such as not being able to jump on low objects, yet somehow scramble up higher ones. it just feels like lazy game design.

Yep, when you run across your first one there's a short cutscene and a voice over explaining how he could turn back time on some objects. If I remember correctly they were called "triggers" and it was because some items were stuck in a bubble of time that he could manipulate. He goes on to say that he doesn't know how/why this happens (probably something to do with the time fracture) and also that the time manipulation is only temporary and the objects will eventually revert back. It was an explained game mechanic, not just something thrown on the player.

Did you just answer 'is this explained?' With a 'yes' then go on to say that the character (and thus the player) don't know why it's happening.

'Mysterious time bubbles that aren't explained' isn't an explanation.

dt2

Banned
Did you just answer 'is this explained?' With a 'yes' then go on to say that the character (and thus the player) don't know why it's happening.

'Mysterious time bubbles that aren't explained' isn't an explanation.

Yep, the game mechanic was explained. The exact technical details of his ability to manipulate time in certain areas is not but the actual game mechanic is presented and explained to the player.

So in other words, when the designers want you to be able to use your powers? It seems a cop-out really by forcing you down a set path. The game does this a lot in other ways too, such as not being able to jump on low objects, yet somehow scramble up higher ones. it just feels like lazy game design.

Yep, just like how I can enter some buildings in GTA and can't others. Just like I can use the Hammer of Dawn in some areas in Gears and not others. Just like how I can smash through some gates in Forza Horizon and can't others. I'm not completely excusing the practice but developers often use some mechanic to guide you to a certain path. I guess they could of developed an entirely new power and worked it into the game but they did not for whatever reasons they have.

thelastword

Banned
Two things I've noticed, if AJ reviewed QB a 10/10 and absolutely loved it, we would see less of the "why does angry joe reviews have it's own thread" posts. It's been a while since we've had separate AJ review threads on gaf, so I don't see what the big deal is.......I actually appreciate his reviews because he goes in depth and shows you what he means and comes across like a gamer playing the game and going through varied emotions as opposed to just doing a job.

Secondly, I think his take on the story was very accurate. The story telling through long cutscenes and endless walls of text is just not a good approach and takes you out of the game, where it is supposed to be an action game with time bending powers and adventure. I believe many reviewers were quite lenient on the game as it related to this, games are meant to be played not watched.

Yep, the game mechanic was explained. The exact technical details of his ability to manipulate time in certain areas is not but the actual game mechanic is presented and explained to the player.

'Why can I interact with some things with not others?'
"You can only interact with things caught in a time bubble"
'Why are these specific things caught in a time bubble?'
"I dunno, probably something to do with a time fracture or something"

You don't see how that's not an explanation?

dt2

Banned

The actual game mechanic was presented and explained to the player. You don't just run into one of these and the game expects you to know to press "Y" to rewind time. Could they have gone into more detail as to exactly how he's able to manipulate time on certain objects that are trapped in some kind of fractured time space...sure but they chose not to. It actually kind of reminds me of a quote from a great time travel movie (Looper, you should watch it if you haven't already, awesome movie):

Old Joe:I don't want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we're going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws.

The actual game mechanic was presented and explained to the player. You don't just run into one of these and the game expects you to know to press "Y" to rewind time. Could they have gone into more detail as to exactly how he's able to manipulate time on certain objects that are trapped in some kind of fractured time space...sure but they chose not to. It actually kind of reminds me of a quote from a great time travel move (Looper, you should watch it if you haven't already, awesome movie):

It's still not an explanation though so I'm not sure why you're presenting it as such. The rules are layer out but they are not explained. You may as well be saying 'just because'.

I also thought Looper was a bad movie. Why not just send people back directly into the furnace?

timlot

Banned

Agreed, so I took (probably wasted) my time to show an example of not honest criticism and observation.

They're playing the game and have to get through a gate. I would assume Joe has put the time into this game to know this area by now. Right?

(lets slow that down)

On the fourth try they finally get through the gate with the time freeze/blast (the easiest "puzzle" in the game).

Joe: "But still! He didn't use the RIIIIIGHT...He didn't use the riiight (does quotation fingers) time power." (Continues implying you can only do things one way) "You have to use the riiiight time power."

Joe: (responding to character's conversation) "No you can't, you can't control time...what do you think this is Quantum Break?" (after all, you can only do things one way)

------------------

Hmmm, so do these play sessions influence Joe's review? Did Joe actually play these sections and figure out there isn't just one way? Did he figure out that these invisible walls were often him or other players with him not pulling things off correctly?

Let us go fire up the game..I.. I assume Joe has played that part (multiple times). The way he's acting these invisible walls and only "one way" to do things has to be right. Why would he keep harping on it?

Here we go..

..imagine that...very first try, with the "wrooong" time power, that you apparently can't use. Boy, that invisible wall and only one way to do things sure messed me up.

Lets try screwing around now. Lets see if that "invisible wall" Joe moaned, and overeacted about ever gets in my way.

Surely I couldn't go through the gate multiple times with multiple powers even. Surely you can only go through the gate one way...I mean..there has to be an invisible wall there at some point.

(shrug..haha)

Anyway, this is just one of multiple situations where comments he's made isn't accurate. Not everything he talks about is off-base, but his stuff makes me do some double takes when I know for a fact what he's saying is not right.

I like a challenge. He's right on a lot of his points...but you know what...he's also a showman..and at times disingenuous.

I mentioned this live stream back many pages ago @ post#667 and was accused of being salty. Glad I'm not the only one that notice it.

I never mention Joe in particular in my comment, but I will add I watch him and some other guy playing Quantum Break on Twitch last week. They were doing nothing but joking around and horse playing with each other. They would play for a few minutes then stop and laugh at each other about something and woohoo for every new subscriber that popped up. So my take on his review is skewed by what I saw. Having said all that its his opinion.

SomTervo

Have you played the game, mate?

The story directly explains this. And why it happens. Joe clearly doesn't listen to the fucking story at any point, or take his time reading content.

Time is fractured like a pane of glass. It is not stopped/frozen in a ubiquitous sense. When a stutter happens, swathes of it are frozen fully but there are fracture points and ripples where objects are 'unstuck in time' rather than 'stopped in time'. This also goes for objects after a time fracture - some of them stay unstuck, because time is breaking bit by bit.

Jack Joyce literally says this before the scene Joe shows with the door, as well as earlier in the game. And the lore explains it. At this point in the game they encounter an object which has become unstuck in time during a stutter (everything else is frozen). That's what the whole 'glass' aesthetic is about. Time is broken in a shattered way. This one object is buzzing back and forth between a time when it is closed and a time when it is open. Other doors are just frozen shut, so you can't pass through.

This also explains why some objects can be rewound and others cant. Some objects are unstuck - in quantum states between present and past - while others are just frozen in the present.

But Joe doesn't care.

The story directly explains this. And why it happens. Joe clearly doesn't listen to the fucking story at any point, or take his time reading content.

Time is fractured like a pane of glass. It is not stopped/frozen in a ubiquitous sense. When a stutter happens, swathes of it are frozen fully but there are fracture points and ripples where objects are 'unstuck in time' rather than 'stopped in time'.

Jack Joyce literally says this before the scene Joe shows with the door, as well as earlier in the game. And the lore explains it. At this point in the game they encounter an object which has become unstuck in time during a stutter (everything else is frozen). That's what the whole 'glass' aesthetic is about. Time is broken in a shattered way. This one object is buzzing back and forth between a time when it is closed and a time when it is open. Other doors are just frozen shut, so you can't pass through.

I haven't, which is why I was asking for an explanation and all the other guy was giving me was 'I dunno, time shit'.

dt2

Banned
It's still not an explanation though so I'm not sure why you're presenting it as such. The rules are layer out but they are not explained. You may as well be saying 'just because'.

I also thought Looper was a bad movie. Why not just send people back directly into the furnace?

Don't know what to tell you. Both games and movies are guilty of using thinly veiled logic and/or half baked explanations to explain certain situations/mechanics. Hopefully things like those don't lessen your enjoyment of the media. That's unfortunate about Looper, I really enjoyed the movie and it was very well received (I do like the whole time travel shtick though).

holygeesus

Banned
I mentioned this live stream back many pages ago @ post#667 and was accused of being salty. Glad I'm not the only one that notice it.

Probably because the guy is being criticised for his review, this being the review thread. To take a small section from hours of live streaming and crowbar it into your criticism of a review that doesn't even use that video or mention the issue it discusses seems as disingenuous as anything the guy does or says in his review. Indeed it's pretty underhand.

There are invisible walls in this game. Hell, it's not an open world game, so that's not necessarily a bad thing, but don't prevent access to certain sections, by having your character not able to leap on a 3ft high object - it breaks immersion. It also means you have to keep trying to jump on objects to see if you can traverse. It's just sloppy game design.

(lets slow that down)

------------------

Here we go..

(shrug..haha)

Lolol, that is hilarious. Also you chose Nick? For shame!!

dt2

Banned

The story directly explains this.

Nice, you are right. I was just thinking about the first time rewind puzzle (shipping container). That does seem to tie everything together.

I haven't, which is why I was asking for an explanation and all the other guy was giving me was 'I dunno, time shit'.

Whoa, calm down bud. Let's be honest though, you're looking for anything and everything to criticize and I don't think any answer would actually really satisfy you.

Nice, you are right. I was just thinking about the first time puzzle (shipping container). That does seem to tie everything together.

Whoa, calm down bud. Let's be honest though, you're looking for anything and everything to criticize and I don't think any answer would actually really satisfy you.

You mistook my response for anger or something when I was just summarising your responses. Saying shit doesn't mean I wasn't calm.

nynt9

Are we now poring through his gameplay streams making gifs and taking notes to discredit his review score? Content that he didn't even include in the review? This is a new low.

[IMG']https://giant.gfycat.com/BelovedPastelArcticfox.gif[/IMG]

(lets slow that down)

[IMG']https://giant.gfycat.com/AbleImpishKillerwhale.gif[/IMG]

[IMG']https://giant.gfycat.com/HelplessFreeBaldeagle.gif[/IMG]

------------------

Here we go..

[IMG']https://giant.gfycat.com/GenuineEmbarrassedKoodoo.gif[/IMG]

[IMG']https://giant.gfycat.com/SingleFavorableIberianemeraldlizard.gif[/IMG]

[IMG']https://giant.gfycat.com/LimpFortunateAbyssiniancat.gif[/IMG]

(shrug..haha)

Yes, that's what Angry Joe does. It's terrible and unfunny, I thought people had gotten used to it.

Alienous

Are we now poring through his gameplay streams making gifs and taking notes to discredit his review score? Content that he didn't even include in the review? This is a new low.

You mean the content that forms the basis of his review? His experiences with the game?

SomTervo

The review is littered with moments from his stream which one GAFfer in this thread found the source footage of for reference.

His score and opinion is fine. His examples are, by and large, bullshit. Quantum Break is far from a perfect game, but his rhetoric in this review is just horrible.

His review is his review. It's fine. His game play and obviously his take on the game are somewhat reflected in his skills on the game itself, which are rather poor. Lots of people that can't grasp or use game mechanics properly game also, so it's totally fair to see his review and critique and it might very well reflect those poor players thoughts on QB. It's also fair to critique his critique. It's all just opinion and he is just a dude who has a lot of online internet creed so it gets bigger then it really is.

SomTervo

Again, QB is far from perfect, but it's lore is way, way more airtight than Looper's. It's all closed loops, locked-in time machines and dates, people going back without others knowing, etc. It's more like Primer.

le.phat

(lets slow that down)

------------------

Here we go..

(shrug..haha)

duuuuude, chill the fuck ooooout. shit, man this thread is bringing out the looney :eek:

How does that compare to someone trying to discredit someone making observations based on content thats been public? Its not like the poster hacked his computer to get it. People play a game, make observations, want to challenge things...

Sounds like you would prefer it if this was just a thread of posters bobbing heads in agreement

duuuuude, chill the fuck ooooout. shit, man this thread is bringing out the looney :eek:

He's bringing up a fair point? It's a thread discussing Angry Joe's review of the game and the poster analysed the basis of Joe's review by watching the live stream. It's a good post, this is a platform for discussion? Don't be so patronising.

On topic though. I like Angry Joe; his rants can be great. However at times he comes across overly childish, in his approach to reviews and constant talking over others who are reviewing games of films with him.

He can also be hypercritical of some games and fairly allowing for others I've seen. This review does strike me as nit-picky with some criticisms however he brings up points lots of reviewers also do. I am yet to play the game myself, but my younger brother is thoroughly enjoying it.

Angry Joes experience with the game is not in any way my experience with the game.

BUT

His experience is reflective of a lot of people on gaf that have played the game. Trying to discount it seems ultimately pointless since his specific play-style led to him not enjoying it.

Is the game a cover shooter?
NO

Does the game have lots of cover?
YES

Do enemies push you to get out of cover?
RARELY

Angry Joes experience with the game is not in any way my experience with the game.

BUT

His experience is reflective of a lot of people on gaf that have played the game. Trying to discount it seems ultimately pointless since his specific play-style led to him not enjoying it.

Is the game a cover shooter?
NO

Does the game have lots of cover?
YES

Do enemies push you to get out of cover?
RARELY
Also, does the first bit of combat start with the instruction "hide behind this cover!"? Yes...

Probably because the guy is being criticised for his review, this being the review thread. To take a small section from hours of live streaming and crowbar it into your criticism of a review that doesn't even use that video or mention the issue it discusses seems as disingenuous as anything the guy does or says in his review. Indeed it's pretty underhand.

There are invisible walls in this game. Hell, it's not an open world game, so that's not necessarily a bad thing, but don't prevent access to certain sections, by having your character not able to leap on a 3ft high object - it breaks immersion. It also means you have to keep trying to jump on objects to see if you can traverse. It's just sloppy game design.

Yeah this is not a open world game, its a linear story driven game so im guessing the devs wants the players going down as set path to trigger cutscenes/story. not to run round and trigger stuff out of order, every 3rd person game that i can think of has 3ft high objects that stop a player going somewhere the devs dont want the player going, and yeah like every other 3rd person game quantum break has 3ft high walls but i never had any problems with it in quantum break compard to any other 3rd person game.

also the game tells you where to go alot of the time with audio eg (maybe i can get through that window) and visual with time vision and marking the spot you need to go, so i dont know why you would be jumpin up "objects to see if you can traverse." saying its "It's just sloppy game design" is going abit far, yes it not ideal but this is nothing new and quantum break is no worse then alot of 3rd person games in that aspect.

Gxgear

If anything this thread just goes to show how objectionable 5/10, a supposed score for an average game (based on a reviewer's opinion), has become.

Top Bottom