• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Watched about 15 minutes of the review. Not really familiar with Angry Joe, however I was expecting some raging idiot and was happily surprised when he wasn't yelling.

All that said, when I see hyped AAA next gen experiences fall flat due to poor game design, I run out of excuses to make. If the game is fun but ultimately disappointing, I don't have the time to waste playing it. Sad, because I just upgraded my rig and jumped to Windows10.

A lot of things he says are subjective but pretty easy to identify as negatives.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Seems like a lot of the same points other reviewers have made about the game...although Joe puts it so funny in a way others dont

"DURR CANT OPEN DOORS!! BLRUGHG"

Watched about 15 minutes of the review. Not really familiar with Angry Joe, however I was expecting some raging idiot and was happily surprised when he wasn't yelling.

All that said, when I see hyped AAA next gen experiences fall flat due to poor game design, I run out of excuses to make. If the game is fun but ultimately disappointing, I don't have the time to waste playing it. Sad, because I just upgraded my rig and jumped to Windows10.

A lot of things he says are subjective but pretty easy to identify as negatives.

Glad to see open minded people about awesome joe :D

Great review! I was kinda surprised when he pointed out that there was no hip fire and blindfire in this game. Not sure why Remedy decided to ditch them since they are very basic mechanics that any cover-based TPS game should have.

We should just start calling reviews "opinions."

"Hey, did you see Angry Joe's opinion on Halo 6?"
"Yeah, I don't share it."

Also I've enjoyed the live action more than the game itself.

It's interesting the dichotomy that Angry Joe creates with his opinions. On the one hand, people qualify his reviews by mentioning his angry persona even when it isn't very present (this review) or not at all. On the other hand, when he is angry and for arguably justifiable reasons, many disregard his views even if they are valid and detailed.

I haven't played Quantum Break, and there is a good chance that when/if I do I will enjoy it more than Joe; but people need to stop assuming that because his moniker is Angry Joe that he can't give a thoughtful assessment of a game.

Were they serious with those doors and trash container? Going back in time where they were open or out in the open...
AlJ8K.gif

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Thankfully, I don't go by Angry Joe's reviews (or anyone's for that matter) because if I did, I would have missed out on two games I recently enjoyed. Quantum Break and The Division.

One thing that Angry Joe should do is NOT play and review the game based on the PC version. So many times, he'll mention all the problems but yet on consoles, those problems don't exist. Definitely not fair to the game when a better more stable version is available. Oh well.

Thankfully, I don't go by Angry Joe's reviews (or anyone's for that matter) because if I did, I would have missed out on two games I recently enjoyed. Quantum Break and The Division.

One thing that Angry Joe should do is NOT play and review the game based on the PC version. So many times, he'll mention all the problems but yet on consoles, those problems don't exist. Definitely not fair to the game when a better more stable version is available. Oh well.

As long as he is clear in which version he is reviewing, why is this a problem? Do the people who might buy the PC version not deserve to know what they are getting into? What's not fair is the publisher not making sure the better, more stable version is available to everyone who pays for their game. Why should he go out of his way to paint the game in the best light? He is reviewing what is being sold for money.

He played the Xbox One version.

As long as you state which version you're reviewing, I don't see the issue here.

Jim Sterling gave Arkham Knight PC a 5/10 last year. He had no obligation to play or review the PS4 version, or to even talk up that version, and he didn't.

A shite port might be a worthwhile thing to investigate anyways.

Vov

Angry Joe is great at what he does: waits for the Internet to come up with intelligent criticism for a game and then puts it all in a concise entertaining video. It's hard not to agree with him, but his opinions are rarely original. I still enjoy his humor however.

Sorry, but those scenes were very well done, and added a significant amount of interesting characters, backstory, and lore. It was incredibly interesting to watch the story from the 'villians' point of view.

woah, spoiler. So the villain isn't the real bad guy - what a twist!

Inuhanyou

My confusion comes from how anybody could dislike Joe, he's one of the chillest dudes out there. Sure he may have an 'angry' persona, but that's just a name, and he's 99% of the time not even angry.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Nothing really surprising with his score considering he uses the full scale. The consensus has been the game is average.

I would say the consensus is it's either amazing or bad, depending on who you are. Most divisive game I've seen for a while, personaly I'm loving it: nearly finished it, so far 9/10, would be 9.5 if the gunplay/cover was a bit better feeling.

dt2

Banned
My confusion comes from how anybody could dislike Joe, he's one of the chillest dudes out there. Sure he may have an 'angry' persona, but that's just a name, and he's 99% of the time not even angry.

My opinion soured on him a bit when he pulled his Mario Party 10 video and vowed to quit doing Nintendo videos since he couldn't monetize them. His fans bought him a Wii U and doing that made it seem like he cared more about the profits than pleasing his fans.

My opinion soured on him a bit when he pulled his Mario Party 10 video and vowed to quit doing Nintendo videos since he couldn't monetize them. His fans bought him a Wii U and it just seemed like he cared more about the profits than pleasing his fans.

If doing these reviews is his job you are essentially asking him to work for free just to work around Nintendo's archaic policies.

Not sure but every thing about this game has screamed bland to me.

Even the actor looks so boring and bland.

Hopefully we get Alan wake 2 one day. Now that game had great atmosphere.

I enjoyed every game review from Joe. He puts a lot of effort into his videos, and his criticism is well elaborated and detailed, he goes even further and shows you video evidence of it.

Inuhanyou

My opinion soured on him a bit when he pulled his Mario Party 10 video and vowed to quit doing Nintendo videos since he couldn't monetize them. His fans bought him a Wii U and doing that made it seem like he cared more about the profits than pleasing his fans.

What Ninja Scooter said. They bought him one of their own will. It didn't mean he was obligated to now play Nintendo games if they did something shady. He gave it a chance and could not work it into his work flow.

GRaider81

Have really started following Joe recently since I found out he is a big strategy/4x fan.

Have to say I really enjoy his approach and personality and the reviews most recently are all spot on. The immersion breaking stuff in QB is ridiculous. I'm really struggling to get through the game after 2 acts as its already incredibly repetitive and predictable.

Its a shame because there are some cool ideas within it.

Pretty poor review, weighed down by an enormous amount of hyperbole. Nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected from someone whose main selling point is being angry in video.

Not sure why this one deserved its own thread, and wasn't posted on the review thread, mind you.

They always get their own threads and someone always comments immediately about it getting a thread lmao.

dt2

Banned
If doing these reviews is his job you are essentially asking him to work for free just to work around Nintendo's archaic policies.

What Ninja Scooter said. They bought him one of their own will. It didn't mean he was obligated to now play Nintendo games if they did something shady. He gave it a chance and could not work it into his work flow.

Not everything has to be about making a profit. I can understand not making elaborate videos since he can only get 60% of the advertising revenue but what's throwing a video (even just a simple let's play) every now and then to the fans who bought him a Wii U? It's just such an extreme stance to take.

TheKeyPit

Banned
People keep saying stuff like this as if it's some deep system. It's not like the powers mesh together in any creative ways. You just pop whatever power isn't on cooldown.

Did you know that you could do stuff like this:

qb6tzs71.gif

The powers are only as creative as the one who controls them.

im_dany

I haven't watched his videos (too much hyperboles, I don't like him) but I can see why some people didn't like QB: you hate fun.

Spamming powers is too much fun. I HATE linear games (can't play RoTR for more than an hour because it's too booooooriiiing) but shooting in QB is just fantastic. You can't give the game less than 7 just because you hate fun.

It's not a technical masterpiece (but was AW?). The ending could've been much better
I'm talking about the crappy boss fight not the story ending
. The plot is really good. TV show was unnecessary or fantastic depending on your tastes (but they're entirely skippable: they help with the parallel stories of other characters but you can keep playing as Jack without knowing anything else).

Maximo

Sorry, can't agree. I question the sanity of anyone who thinks this game sucks. Talk about horrible taste.

What horrible taste a 5/10 is average he didn't think it sucks, nice to know you solely judge someone's mentality based if they *didn't like the game you did*

patchday

Enjoyed the review. Love Angry Joe's stuff. I always thought the commercials and trailers look very good for the game. I would probably still buy it if I had an X1 since the plot looks very interesting and ambitious

Loved Max Payne back in the day too

dt2

Banned
Didn't watch the while thing, but the section at 15 min.... holy shit, lol. Can they patch this?

Hmmmmm, never ran into anything like that in my 2 playthroughs (normal and hard). The game is generally very good at forcing you out of cover and you usually die out in the open quickly if you don't use your powers. Could just be a glitch in that specific area or maybe the AI was just acting weird.

Not everything has to be about making a profit. I can understand not making elaborate videos since he can only get 60% of the advertising revenue but what's throwing a video (even just a simple let's play) every now and then to the fans who bought him a Wii U? It's just such an extreme stance to take.

Nintendo is taking a stance that basically threatens his livelihood. Why should he give them any kind of attention, good or bad? I totally get where he is coming from. For someone with a following as large as Joe's, doing a Let's Play, even a simple one, is akin to publicity for a game, so you want him to use the following he built up to give publicity to a company that doesn't believe he should make money off the following he built up?

But like, suuuuuper cool tho man i mean just look at it bruh

I actually liked Quantum Break, but I have noticed the gifs people try to post to show how "cool" it and the time powers are...often aren't impressive from any sort of practical or player input standpoint.

derFeef

He makes some valid points but exaggerates on them heavily. Quantum Break is maybe my least favourite Remedy game, but my least favourite Remedy game is still far better than most of what I have played the last years.

Grinchy

Banned
Joe should've played the PC version lol

It's so strange to me that he got that beefy PC handed to him but he never seems to play PC versions of games. Even in a case like this where the PC version isn't necessarily well-optimized, it's still a good bet that it'll be a better experience than the Xbox One.

dt2

Banned
Nintendo is taking a stance that basically threatens his livelihood. Why should he give them any kind of attention, good or bad? I totally get where he is coming from. For someone with a following as large as Joe's, doing a Let's Play, even a simple one, is akin to publicity for a game, so you want him to use the following he built up to give publicity to a company that doesn't believe he should make money off the following he built up?

I mean a simple let's play requires minimal work. It's nothing more than playing the game with/without commentary. He can still make money off of it through Nintendo's partnership program (he would get 60% of ad revenue) but since he can't make 100% of the revenue he refuses to do anything Nintendo.

M.J. Doja

Banned
It's so strange to me that he got that beefy PC handed to him but he never seems to play PC versions of games. Even in a case like this where the PC version isn't necessarily well-optimized, it's still a good bet that it'll be a better experience than the Xbox One.

I think there's more impact in connecting with the console userbase as opposed to the PC users.

Top Bottom