• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

sertopico

His streaming didn't use the time powers in combat at all and he talks about the game being a lazy cover shooter with bad level design.

No shit Joe, the levels aren't designed with the cover mechanics in mind.

Oh really? That's embarassing. Normally I like some of his reviews but this one exclusively focuses on how bad the game is, describing at the same sime time flaws which does not even exist (i.e. the gameplay, the most important thing). It's clear he doesn't like story driven games with this peculiar style but a review like this is totally misleading in my opinion. I don't know, it felt like a click baiting rushed review.

At the end of the day, his review is just his experience with the game. Call him out for playing the game wrong if you want, that doesn't change his experience. I can never understand why people take review scores so personally. Someone else didn't like a game as much as you, that's an embarrassingly pathetic thing to get upset about. Saying someone is wrong for not having the same opinion as you on a video game is the ultimate man child move.

SomTervo

Quantum break is great imo, a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 - but it is definitely bogged down by the TV show.

The TV show itself is fine - good, even - but it completely ruins the flow of an otherwise excellent videogame. If they were just seamless gameplay cutscenes (whih were far shorter) the pace would be far less segmented.

It's the fact that you're counting down the levels until the next TV show with dread, trying to squeeze joy out of every minute you're in Jack shoes and blasting people (which is brilliant to play) which knocks off points for me.

Raylan

Banned
What does that have to do with Xbots though? Ugh, why does he generalize like that? He's putting so much work into this reviews just to rile up the mob to get more clicks? He sure knows how that works then.
Because hardcore fanboys like Tim Dog and his cult of extremist attacked/insulted him for several weeks. And he was right. They attacked him again before seeing his review. I see no issue in calling extremist out. Guys are crazy.

But its a 3rd person cover shooter... with time powers. Its literally designed with cover mechanics in mind. Why else is there cover?

26624-Christina-Hendricks-LOL-gif-a38u.gif

lol no it is not a cover shooter, just because you crouch behind a object when your near it does not make it a cover shooter, vanquish has alot better cover system but because it has it dont make it a cover shooter and if you play it as such your gonna have a bad time.

pelican

Pretty poor review, weighed down by an enormous amount of hyperbole. Nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected from someone whose main selling point is being angry in video.

Not sure why this one deserved its own thread, and wasn't posted on the review thread, mind you.

I've questioned the need for separate AJ review threads for a while.

Being an adult I find his YT angry shtick childish and worthless. I'm not his target audience and I find him to be an untalented hack. It is a sad day when a grr I'm angry buffoon continues to leach a living from those who have more creative talent.

cripterion

To be fair this is just one review. Most reviews have been pretty positive for this game. Also it won't really have to stand against Uncharted since that game isn't coming to Xbox (I believe neither will steal sales from one another to a significant amount). If you're talking about purely on a comparison level then yes, comparisons will be made, however both games play drastically different from one another.

Yeah I'm saying people will compare them for being exclusive shooters for their respective consoles.

Being an adult I find his YT angry shtick childish and worthless. I'm not his target audience as I find him to be an untalented hack. It is a sad day when a grr I'm angry buffoon continues to leach a living from those who have more creative talent.

He doesn't actually have an 'angry shtick', which you would know if you watched some of his reviews. He get's angry when he has a reason to, like with Arkham Knight as an example. If he just doesn't like a game, he's pretty good at rationally explaining why he doesn't like it and what he thinks could be done to improve the game. I find myself disagreeing with him quite a bit but he's good at what he does.

Sometimes I wonder if naming himself Angry Joe was a bad decision because you get people like this assuming that all he does is yell at a camera for 30 minutes.

im_dany

He called it The Order 1886: Prologue though :) so not really that levelheaded then either.

Criticizing the game is different than attacking fanboys.

I'm ok with him not enjoying the game, but I don't like people that attack those that don't share their opinions. Judging videogames is highly subjective, there isn't a single game that everybody agrees on.

KORNdoggy

Being an adult I find his YT angry shtick childish and worthless. I'm not his target audience and I find him to be an untalented hack. It is a sad day when a grr I'm angry buffoon continues to leach a living from those who have more creative talent.

but that isn't what angry joe is at all. sure he waffles on a lot, and his reviews could be half as long and still cover all the same points, but he's not like AVGN. if he likes a game he won't be angry about it, and when he is angry at the games he doesn't like, he explains why in a pretty decent way (albeit a bit overlong)

his views do seem to coincide with my own, i just wish they didn't take half an hour out of my day.

He clearly doesn't like the Xbox One or its fans, he ripped Halo 5 to shreds and it's been updated into one of the best multiplayer shooter experiences to date.

Pretty sure he's riding console wars buzz for viewer hits and trying to generate buzz on twitter around his review for monetary gain.

I sincerely hope you're not older than 12 years old because the amount of bullshit you are spewing is making you look like fucking MisterX right now. For reference on some negative PS4 reviews, he gave Killzone Shadow Fall a 6/10 and The Order: 1886 a 4/10. He doesn't have a biased agenda and he doesn't give out bad scores for hits. As others have said, which you promptly ignored, he has also given praise to a ton of Xbox exclusives in the past.

As for positive reviews, more recent big game reviews, he gave Witcher 3 a 10/10 and Fallout 4 an 8/10. Guess hes going negative for hits, you know those positive review videos are really struggling with the 4 million plus views they have. Gotta go negative or bust I guess. Oh his Halo 5 review has over a million less views than those? Holy shit my mind is blown.

Seriously, even if his reviews aren't perfect, he does raise some points and primarily i'd have to say this in particular score is a love it or hate it due to the live action stuff being such a major part of it. If you can get invested in the story, then it's most likely going to score higher on your charts then if you just don't care and just want to get on with the gameplay. In seriousness, get the fuck over yourself and move on. Making baseless claims to justify your opinion as better than someone else when they are factually wrong is just making you look like a grade a jackass.

Also as a final note, enjoy the irony knowing that while you are claiming he gave a negative score for attention, that you are doing your part by having the most posts in this thread.

Good day.

ViciousDS

Banned
But its a 3rd person cover shooter... with time powers. Its literally designed with cover mechanics in mind. Why else is there cover?

Yes, it's not a cover shooter. It's not meant to be played as one either. It's a reason why the game has a soft cover and doesn't allow you to actually hit a button to get into it either.

Majukun

never really followed this game since it was an xbox one exclusive..then i discovered it's on PC too,but from this review,doesn't seem my kind of game at all..and i didn't even like alan wake
His streaming didn't use the time powers in combat at all and he talks about the game being a lazy cover shooter with bad level design.

No shit Joe, the levels aren't designed with the cover mechanics in mind.

well,there's also to say that if you can finish the game without using the powers at all,the level aren't designed around them either

moggio

Banned
never really followed this game since it was an xbox one exclusive..then i discovered it's on PC too,but from this review,doesn't seem my kind of game at all..and i didn't even like alan wake

well,there's also to say that if you can finish the game without using the powers at all,the level aren't designed around them either

I played this round my mates at the weekend. I hate everything about Alan Wake, so I wasn't surprised to find out I hate this too.

Just something about Remedy games that grind my gears.

sertopico

At the end of the day, his review is just his experience with the game. Call him out for playing the game wrong if you want, that doesn't change his experience. I can never understand why people take review scores so personally. Someone else didn't like a game as much as you, that's an embarrassingly pathetic thing to get upset about. Saying someone is wrong for not having the same opinion as you on a video game is the ultimate man child move.

If you are referring to me, no way, I am not getting upset for a review which goes against my personal thoughts. I am grown enough to avoid this kind of behaviour. But if you allow me I disagree and I'd like to point out what's wrong.

What's actually immature is his own way of exaggerating flaws in a way that could get anybody out of the road when it comes to evaluate a product. A good journalist/reviewer/whatever should be good enough to describe something at 360 degrees, not only what he disliked. But that's my opinion, and this is internet, everybody feeling entitled to take a shit on other people's head.

Maximo

You sure ? Your post doesn't reflect this, pretty "adult" of you to shit on a neogaf member and your perceived notion on them rather then bring up intelligent arguments on why you think his reviews or his content is lacking. Joe doesn't post often cause some people choose to attack him rather then discuss his reviews in a *adult* manner, sure as hell wouldn't want to post here if people I didn't know, or knew me called me a buffoon "who leaches off people with more creative talent" but its cool you totally showed how much of a adult you are.

If you are referring to me, no way, I am not getting upset for a review which goes against my personal thoughts. I am grown enough to avoid this kind of behaviour. But if you allow me I disagree and I'd like to point out what's wrong.

What's actually immature is his own way of exaggerating flaws in a way that could get anybody out of the road when it comes to evaluate a product. A good journalist/reviewer/whatever should be good enough to describe something at 360 degrees, not only what he disliked. But that's my opinion, and this is internet, everybody feeling entitled to take a shit on other people's head.

I wasn't referring to anyone specific, my post just happened to appear after yours. It was generally pointed at the people saying 'Nope, this is a 7 or 8/10 game. He's wrong'.

Well yeah you COULD but that would make the game incredibly tedious and the score kinda reflects how he played the game.

If you think he played the game wrong then it could easily be said that's the games fault for not encouraging him to play correctly. Either way that doesn't really have much to do with his score. His score reflects the time he spent on the game. Wether or not you think he played the game wrong really has nothing to do with that. You can't assume that if he was playing the game 'right' (which is really such a stupid statement) that his score would have been any better.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well yeah you COULD but that would make the game incredibly tedious and the score kinda reflects how he played the game.

So what if he didn't find most of the time powers fun or engaging enough to keep using it at all times? Because honestly, that's a very common complaint with the game. You think if he arbitrarily threw a few additional time powers in the mix that it would change his opinion? Christ man, if he enjoyed the powers he would have used them more.

Some of the people in this thread bashing the way he played the game are being ridiculous.

Hagi

The score reflects that? because surely if he played the game the way it was supposed to be played it would be an easy 8/10.

I can't with these reviews threads lol

sobaka770

Banned
Didn't play QB because I don't wanna play the seemingly terrible PC port, but I don't think you can play the game "wrong". Maybe it's more fun not to use cover and use time powers, but if the game can be played and completed as a simple cover shooter, it doesn't mean Joe played it wrong or that he made the experience worse for himself. The fault is on gameplay and level designers for allowing such gameplay. As such, he had this negative experience with the game and his score is logical, and the fault of the game.

Bgamer90

Banned
Never understood why people get so offended when someone doesn't like something as much as they do. Joe has bashed some games I really liked, and I enjoy his comedic critiques and slights of the game. I find them entertaining.

It's almost like if his opinion gets out and people start agreeing with it, people feel like it will invalidate their feelings on it or something.

Social media has added on to the immature way that people have reacted to game reviews. People who enjoy a game sending hate to people who didn't & vice versa, people who'll never play the game that focus on a small handful of reviews that share a similarity because they don't want to admit their confirmation bias or the fact that they hoped the game would "fail" for whatever silly reason(s), etc.

I think some sites getting rid of review scores has been a form of responding to this but people are still going to continue on regardless.

It's pretty sad that if you make a game review that goes against the majority and you have a large following that you should expect to get "attacked".

You sure ? Your post doesn't reflect this, pretty "adult" of you to shit on a neogaf member and your perceived notion on them rather then bring up intelligent arguments on why you think his reviews or his content is lacking. Joe doesn't post often cause some people choose to attack him rather then discuss his reviews in a *adult* manner, sure as hell wouldn't want to post here if people I didn't know, or knew me called me a buffoon "who leaches off people with more creative talent" but its cool you totally showed how much of a adult you are.

Especially with thah username! :D
I like Joes games reviews! My decision to buy a game is no longer based on reviewers, so i watch his channel just foro entertainment.

KORNdoggy

Didn't play QB because I don't wanna play the seemingly terrible PC port, but I don't think you can play the game "wrong". Maybe it's more fun not to use cover and use time powers, but if the game can be played and completed as a simple cover shooter, it doesn't mean Joe played it wrong or that he made the experience worse for himself. The fault is on gameplay and level designers for allowing such gameplay. As such, he had this negative experience with the game and his score is logical, and the fault of the game.

it reminds me of the people who keep wanting a crouch or cover button in just cause 3. it's not there for a reason, to promote more movement and not slow the action down. maybe QB shouldn't have let you go into cover at all if the intention was to play it entirely using movement and time powers? the fact the option exists means by design, it is a viable form of play. less fun? maybe...but not "wrong"

Funny guy, and he seemed to present the game in a way that indeed makes it look shitty.
But as others have said, watch others play, and the game seems pretty great!

Hjod

Banned
I don't really care if he think the game is good or bad but people need to calm down. It's ok if somebody dislikes a game even if it's your GOTY.

And people who think he is crap and spews hyerbole all the time, why do you care so much what score AJ gives it?

Honestly I think the game deserves a poor score for calling their powers 'Time Vision', 'Time Shield' etc. What does 'Time Vision' even mean really?

GavinGT

Banned
Honestly I think the game deserves a poor score for calling their powers 'Time Vision', 'Time Shield' etc. What does 'Time Vision' even mean really?

It means going around pressing the Y button every two seconds and having the screen desaturate just so you can find all the stupid collectibles in this glorified hallway.

dt2

Banned
it reminds me of the people who keep wanting a crouch or cover button in just cause 3. it's not there for a reason, to promote more movement and not slow the action down. maybe QB shouldn't have let you go into cover at all if the intention was to play it entirely using movement and time powers? the fact the option exists means by design, it is a viable form of play. less fun? maybe...but not "wrong"

You don't stick to cover and crouching is done automatically. I guess they could of built everything to cover your entire body but that would be unrealistic and probably lead to less varied level design. It's there for you to catch your breath while your powers recharge. Make no mistake, cover serves a purpose in the game but it's not meant to be a "stop and pop" shooter. The way the powers are introduced, how the levels are designed, and how the enemies react are all designed specifically to keep you from playing it like one.

It means going around pressing the Y button every two seconds and having the screen desaturate just so you can find all the stupid collectibles in this glorified hallway.

Well that's kind of what I mean, what's it got to do with time?

This isn't an entirely seriously complaint, before people start having a go at me. Although it is stupid.

Drencrom

So many embarrassing posters in this thread

How is AJ's review "rushed" and "overly negative" when the review is an in-depth 30 mins video where he goes over what he likes and dislike while also showing video examples and saying this "a subjective opinion"? I'd say his review is definitely more in-depth and more thought out than most reviews that are just pushed out on the release date. He's not even saying it's a bad game, just an average one (according to him).

Also the "he's playing the game wrong" complaints I see here... really? It's a shooter with some powers, he plays like he sees fit and nothing in his playstyle is "wrong" or "unintended". It's not like he unknowingly limits himself or anything, like playing an RPG with only the starter weapon and never leveling up. He didn't find the powers that compelling or fun so he wasn't throwing them out all the time, which is okay because he clearly finished the game either way and he wouldn't do so if the game was designed that you have to use the powers non-stop.

nynt9

Joe's detractors always cite his supposed anger as a negative, but he's generally not really angry. He's quite enthusiastic and energetic at times though. The people who are really angry seem to be those who come into AJ threads with their pitchforks ready.

I haven't played QB yet, but from all the footage I've seen it doesn't look like the time power system is this Platinum Games level complex mechanic. So I don't know if the "he just didn't get the combat!" Thing people throw at the negative reviews is true. Especially when those reviews point out many other flaws, like poor pacing and the TV stuff.

JTCx

Wow, people actually believe Joe gives bad reviews just for views/clicks? Is this real?

With the Division and now Quantum Break, Joe has been on point so far. I really wanted to like this game but there's just so many issues with it. Not a bad game but not great either.

pitchfork

I Mean, I love the game, and can't fathom how anyone would find the combat and time powers 'no-fun', but hey ho

Blokes entitled to his opinion

Blobbers

5/10 seems like a fair score if you're utilizing the whole scale since the gameplay portion is the epitome of average, like the game came straight out of 2009 or something. However, I did find the live action part really gripping and even liked the acting and most characters. I'd probably give a very sturdy 6/10 if I was a reviewer.

What Quantum Break is doing in certain aspects just doesn't cut it anymore, especially when you see what Uncharted 4 is doing. It's not an underrated game, it's not a gem, when you look at it as a whole, it's not really ambitious. It's not "next gen". People are gonna understand this once the honey moon phase is over.

I wasn't referring to anyone specific, my post just
If you think he played the game wrong then it could easily be said that's the games fault for not encouraging him to play correctly.

Hard mode does this. The AI actively hunts you down if you try to cover and pop. You get cornered with grenades and heavy infantry. The game actively encourages you to use time for mobility and to combo powers into one another. If you look at the game and insist it's a cover shooter, you're probably only going to play on normal and have a bad time.

Majukun

You don't stick to cover and crouching is done automatically. I guess they could of built everything to cover your entire body but that would be unrealistic and probably lead to less varied level design. It's there for you to catch your breath while your powers recharge. Make no mistake, cover serves a purpose in the game but it's not meant to be a "stop and pop" shooter. The way the powers are introduced, how the levels are designed, and how the enemies react are all designed specifically to keep you from playing it like one.

but if that's the case,enemies should punish you for not using them,not stay still and allow you to take a break of 10 minutes while they are shooting you

that's one on my problems with many games..don't tell me i have several different mechanics to use if i don't need to use them at all because your game is poorly programmed or too easy to bother.
this is valid also for all those games with all kinds of different attacks ,but all do the same thing, giving only a deceptive appearance of variety..i'm looking at you mass effect

Drencrom

Wow, people actually believe Joe gives bad reviews just for views/clicks? Is this real?

With the Division and now Quantum Break, Joe has been on point so far. I really wanted to like this game but there's just so many issues with it. Not a bad game but not great either.

His Destiny review was the one that made me a fan, that review is near perfection and brought up so many great and funny points regarding that game at it's release.

Rozart

Ugh, this thread has taken a turn for the uggggly.

Normally Joe's review bring some of the most salty and downright hateful post on GAF, but this being an exclusive is clearly making some people really demential.

Yeap. Can we not have another UC3 situation here?

Alienous

I think the conceit with the door time reversal was that Joyce could only reverse time on objects that had recently changed. So contextually it isn't all that jarring. The not being able to blow doors open thing is a nit-pick, as that's the chase in almost all shooters.

Aside from that I wasn't too impressed with his playstyle. It's partially the games' fault that you are able to cheese your own experience by playing it like a "cover-based shooter", but Remedy didn't have a whole lot of options. If you put cover mechanics in people will play it like that, and if you don't the game will feel archaic. They went for a hybrid that isn't quit satisfying. Ultimately, having played on Hard for my first playthrough, I have to fault the AI. It just isn't all that challenging. It does some cool flanking, but not nearly enough. It doesn't push you to a point where frequent use of your time powers feel necessary.

It felt like a fair review, given he experienced things like crashes that I didn't. But it doesn't seem like he did himself any favours in enjoying the game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So many embarrassing posters in this thread

Every AJ thread is like this, and that's after you get past the first page which is usually littered with 'why does this guy get his own thread' etc.

Is thread whining just frowned upon here or what?

Hard mode does this. The AI actively hunts you down if you try to cover and pop. You get cornered with grenades and heavy infantry. The game actively encourages you to use time for mobility and to combo powers into one another. If you look at the game and insist it's a cover shooter, you're probably only going to play on normal and have a bad time.

Well that's still the games fault then. Normal is the default difficulty that most people are going to play on.

but if that's the case,enemies should punish you for not using them,not stay still and allow you to take a break of 10 minutes while they are shooting you

The footage was on normal and the guy shooting was a weak enemy using the basic level pistol.

If you play on hard a single enemy will drop you in 3 bullets.

Top Bottom