• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe The Order 1886 Review.

Isn't gameplay above all of those? Does it matter if the game play is short and bland?

The points you made seems to be in line with movies not games.

That's because too me this was more of a visual novel with QTEs in it & a tiny sprinkle of 'gameplay' to make it feel interactive.

This isn't my favorite direction for games sure, but far from me to $hit on it because it isn't Ghouls n' Ghosts or Last Of Us.

Tried to appreciate it for what it was - a short & gorgeous AAA horror themed movie game. Nothing more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Watched the review.

I enjoyed the game, but I agree with most of the complaints he expressed.
Same here

It's one of those games where every criticism of it is valid, and looking back on the game its flaws are glaring, but during my time with controller in hand I had a good time.

abundant

At the heart of every game is the gameplay. If that fails, the game is a failure. You can fill a novel full of flowery speech and beautifully constructed prose, but if the story sucks, it failed.

You can still make a good game that has bare bones gameplay, but it must have a really good, intriguing story to tell. See The Walking Dead series.

DavidDesu

Saw there was a spoiler almost straight away so I'll wait to watch this, still got the last few chapters to play. Enjoy his reviews even if I don't agree with some of his points he explains them well.

FireSol

Holy shit no, The Order shooting is bare bones cover based shooting, all the fights play out the same and all the environments for the combat are lazy linear corridors full of chest high cover. It does nothing of note with the gameplay.

You talking about scenarios, when Im talking about core mechanics

jet1911

At the heart of every game is the gameplay. If that fails, the game is a failure. You can fill a novel full of flowery speech and beautifully constructed prose, but if the story sucks, it failed.

The font and paper quality are amazing.

I agree with you, the shooting felt great in the game. That's wahy I was disapointed that a lot of the combat scenarios were dull and uninspired. :(

RDreamer

How on earth can you overemphasize GAMEPLAY? Has this game started to confuse people about what medium this is?

It's art. It's entertainment. It's also a game, yes.

When I do almost anything for leisure I'm looking at the artistry and entertainment. Why do I care what medium it's in? Plenty of things blend medium all the time. I don't think we should just stick to one medium and call it a day. If sometimes I like movies and sometimes I like games, can I not like a combination of the two?

Jito

Banned

No I clearly talked about the shooting being bare bones, basic cover based shooting. The one original mechanic it has is the blackwater bullet time mode which isn't that interesting at all, just an instant win button. It nails the sounds and visuals of the combat but that doesn't actually make it fun to play, all the combat amounts to is shoot at enemies coming towards you and move forwards.

and then talks for another 23 minutes.
You don't have to watch it. Seriously annoying that people come and bitch about the length of the reviews? "Why can't he make videos like 90% of the other youtube reviewers".. You don't like the length, go watch something else while others can enjoy the lengthy videos. This shit posting really grinds my gears.

I'm glad he makes his videos long. I watch the intro and then basically listen to the rest of the video while I work. I expected him to dislike the game but disagree with him regardless. I agree it has several issues but the good for me outweigh the bad. He just needs to stop spoiling things, especially something he showed in the review for a cinematic story driven game...

RDreamer

There's a sentence I thought I would never read when it comes to videogames :/

Look, if everything else didn't matter, then why are we not all playing on our original NES consoles still? Why is it that a lot of this very forum picked a PS4 over an Xbox One for graphics? Why is it that we get threads about downgrade complaints? Artistry matters. There are a lot of talented people doing amazing things with this medium, and I really hate that we dismiss it sometimes if some other people on the team didn't blow things out of the water.

Graphics matter, soundtracks matter, atmosphere matters, story matters on a varying scale for all of us. We can sit here and pretend that gameplay is the only thing that matters, but that's simply not true. Why is it some big offense that some people want to be entertained in some ways?

It's art. It's entertainment. It's also a game, yes.

When I do almost anything for leisure I'm looking at the artistry and entertainment. Why do I care what medium it's in? Plenty of things blend medium all the time. I don't think we should just stick to one medium and call it a day. If sometimes I like movies and sometimes I like games, can I not like a combination of the two?
You can, but you shouldn't be surprised when other people don't like it. These games are limiting player interaction, and interactivity is what a lot of people enjoy video games for in the first place.
Look, if everything else didn't matter, then why are we not all playing on our original NES consoles still? Why is it that a lot of this very forum picked a PS4 over an Xbox One for graphics? Why is it that we get threads about downgrade complaints? Artistry matters. There are a lot of talented people doing amazing things with this medium, and I really hate that we dismiss it sometimes if some other people on the team didn't blow things out of the water.

Graphics matter, soundtracks matter, atmosphere matters, story matters on a varying scale for all of us. We can sit here and pretend that gameplay is the only thing that matters, but that's simply not true. Why is it some big offense that some people want to be entertained in some ways?
I, and many other people here retro game all of the time. Artistry matters, but game play is part of the art of video games, and one that is being under utilized with games like the Order. It's not that nothing else matters, it's just that without having a solid core of interesting game play mechanics, all of the other things you listed essentially amount to polishing a turd in the eyes of people who want to play video games to play a game.

Joe always disects games to a way deeper level than most of the reviews from the popular internet sources.

This game looks like absolute shit in his review. I saw some sequences that weren't really discussed a lot in reviews elsewhere that really bring the game down. He makes it out to see that if the game did not have cutting edge graphics, it would be along the lines of a 2 or so.

Haven't played it so I can't comment myself, but I can't disagree with any of the points he made, and I usually agree mostly with his analysis of other games. Joe is usually on point and says what everyone wants to say without worrying about hurting feelings.

Again not giving my two cents, but damn the game looks bad in his review. Such a disappointment.

RDreamer

I, and many other people here retro game all of the time. Artistry matters, but game play is part of the art of video games, and one that is being under utilized with games like the Order.

I retro game a lot, too. I still enjoy the artistry in those games, too. To me it's all about variety.

I'm not going to argue The Order doesn't have its problems. I've been vocal about that, especially in the OT. I think, though, that its gameplay is pretty average, but everything else is above average.

I know I have a hard time really getting into games that have really great gameplay, but have no story, atmosphere, or anything like that. That's part of why I don't get as into Nintendo games. I can see they're good from a gameplay perspective, but nothing is there to suck me in.

Toxi

Banned
I think it was a good review... Or rather it could have been a good review if Joe didn't spoil every fucking thing about the game. Jesus Christ, he spoils the final battle, the final cutscene, the post-credits cutscene, just way too much. I'm not saying you can't have gameplay footage in your review, but don't use footage from the end of the game. It's doing a disservice to the people who still want to try it out. Simply describing the final boss should have a brief spoiler tag, showing footage of it is unacceptable.

Otherwise, I think he did a good job covering the game's problems, like the overly simple AI and the pointless "look at this" filler. It's an example of a game so focused on visuals it forgot about everything else. I hope an Order sequel can focus on fixing these problems, because I'm starting to get the appeal of the setting. Werewolves are fucking cool, crazy weapons are fucking cool,
vampires
are fucking cool. The game also looks like a potentially wonderful co-op shooter with all the sections where you have a single AI partner, as well as the ending
where Lafayette and Gallahad are working together now against the Order

emalord

Also, making the player fight rebels in a game where the premise is "Knights of the round table during the industrial revolution fighting lycans using weapons made by nikola tesla" is also a really horrible idea.

No, "horrible" is not deserved. Is pedestrian and already been there done that kind of thing but "horrible" is another kind of bad.

I played both Ryse and YeOldeOrder1886 and I enjoyed way more the second.
You can see RAD misses a real game designer but at least I had more variety than in Ryse.

While TheOrder1886 is a lesser version of GearsOfWar meets Beyond (worse than both of them) Ryse was a better version of 99nights yet still a very boring game

Max Payne

Neo Member
And a lot more people seem to be overemphasizing it.

incredulous.gif

Ricky_R

Same here

It's one of those games where every criticism of it is valid, and looking back on the game its flaws are glaring, but during my time with controller in hand I had a good time.

Indeed.

I had a lot of fun too, but like you said, almost every criticism this game is getting has been fair.

Who said these things don't matter? They absolutely do, how you can say that gameplay is not more important than any of these is beyond me, sorry.

RDreamer

Who said these things don't matter? They absolutely do, how you can say that gameplay is not more important than any of these is beyond me, sorry.

More important than some of those things individually, sure. More important than everything else a game incorporates combined, though? Probably not.

Again, my opinion is that the gameplay design in The Order is pretty average. The gunplay is, I think above average, but not utilized to the best it could be. Literally everything else about the game, though, is above average. Now, would I personally be able to play a game that's the opposite? Where gameplay is above average but the story sucks, the music sucks, the graphics suck, the atmosphere sucks, etc. No, I probably wouldn't.

I retro game a lot, too. I still enjoy the artistry in those games, too. To me it's all about variety.

I'm not going to argue The Order doesn't have its problems. I've been vocal about that, especially in the OT. I think, though, that its gameplay is pretty average, but everything else is above average.

I know I have a hard time really getting into games that have really great gameplay, but have no story, atmosphere, or anything like that. That's part of why I don't get as into Nintendo games. I can see they're good from a gameplay perspective, but nothing is there to suck me in.
This is why I said that people aren't over overemphasizing game play and that you're just in a minority of people who don't care about it as much. It's why people keep quoting that post with confused faces.

Saying you can overemphasize game play in a video game sounds like saying you can overemphasize the story in a comic book. You might not care about the story in the comic book and can solely focus on the art, but a lot of people see good art and storytelling mixing as an integral aspect of what makes comic books original and interesting. Take out the art and you just have another script. Take away the script and you just have a bunch of drawings that don't tell any sort of story. It's the combination of the two that gets people interested in comic books in the first place. Much like the combination of game play and video gets people interested in video games. I'm sure there is an audience for people who only buy comic books so they can look at the nice art, just like there is a group of people who can enjoy video games for graphics, but that's not what the majority of people read comic books or play video games for. They play them for the creative combination of the aspects and how those aspects play off each other to make original art.

It's a very niche genre that these developers are going for with these types of games. They're downplaying the part of the medium that pulls most people in in favor for an aspect of the medium like story telling that can not only be found in pretty much any other entertainment medium, but is done far better in those mediums.

Kacho

One of the few Angry Joe reviews I wanted to see and I didn't make it very far in. He goes on and on and on and on. The opening bit was pretty good.

Jito

Banned
Funny thing is that for all the sacrifices they made to gameplay and length for the sake of graphics and storytelling, the story sucked arse.

DevilFox

People who haven't played a game speak positively about it adding to that echo.

I wish it was true, they would balance this annoying narrative of "movie/nogameplay-allgraphics/shittyeverything".

I do it now and then especially for MMOs but in this case I see little redeeming value in The Order other than the graphics. The only thing that stands out slightly is that they had ideas for cool guns but they made them unavailable for you at inconvenient times. :|

Art direction and atmosphere, OST? Acting, believable characters and their relationships, writing, lore? Maybe the gunplay with its cool weapons, some real and some fancy but still grounded to the game's reality which is amazing. About this, should we name the crazy amount of details everywhere? They're not just "cool graphics", there's a difference between cool graphics and detailed environments. It takes a lot more to make the latter and I can't believe that in 2015 they're still so undervalued.
How can all of this means nothing all of a sudden and deserve a 4? Also, am I the only one to value the potential of a new IP from a team on its first experience with AAA on home console?

Gameplay does not fail, indeed.
Your first statement is correct but it doesn't mean that every game has to be gameplay centric. What can you do with interactivity (gameplay, but I'm using the word interactivity on purpose) and how much you can balance it is a interesting topic. Telltale's games as well as visual novels or even Wii Music etc are examples of interactivity used differently. What's important is that what you do is good and it works, overall.

How so? It's a very cinematic experience. I buy blu-rays of movies at about $30, and this has twice as much play-time as that. Personally I'm far more likely to play this again than watch a movie a 2nd or 3rd time, too. I realize there are a lot of games that give you even more value proposition, but I don't see why the two have to be completely separate as far as judging things.
Had "cinematic experience" video games also been chocked full of all the extras blu-rays tend to be crammed with, I'd actually agree. Hell, given the modern age of gaming, they SHOULD do shit like that(games SHOULD come with commentary tracks, behind-the-scene featurettes, interviews, storyboards, digital galleries and each variation of trailer from the years to months prior to the game's release, including the very first "reveal" trailer).

Visceir

All reviews I've read have praised the graphics in the game. They are giving the artistry credit, it's just not enough to make up for the lousy gameplay.

Most people have issues with the story of the game too and how it ends, so they kinda failed on that front as well.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Finally watched whole thing.

I think he backed up his score with everything beforehand.

I'm still going to pick it up when it hits the $20 or 30 price point.

It's like a Ford Pinto with rims and a fancy paint job.

Trojan X

Banned
Didn't play the game, but by the review, the score is pretty consistent
Also Joe uses the entire scale, so a 4 out of 10 is a below average game... In some sites it would be maybe a 7

Yup. The game definitely does tie up with what Joe said and it proves my point what I said before about games of this type. Again, I am all for cinematic and heavily story deiven game but developers and everyone need to remember one most important thing... IT IS A GAME. A GAME. The gameplay should always be first and foremost. Graphics, story, aesthetics, and sound is not gameplay... they can compliment gameplay but they are not gameplay. If the game itself was applied with great effort like the graphics this this game would have been fantastic. However, everyone is much better off watching walkthroughs on Youtube.

GobFather

Same here

I agree. Great time with the game but some of the criticism are valid :/ Looking towards to a Sequel!

RDreamer

All reviews I've read have praised the graphics in the game. They are giving the artistry credit, it's just not enough to make up for the lousy gameplay.

Most people have issues with the story of the game too and how it ends, so they kinda failed on that front as well.

That's one complaint I really really don't understand, but that's up for debate. I liked the story they told and was pretty satisfied with the ending. It was kind of Batman Begins-esque.

Top Bottom