• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd

rkenshin said:
If we wanted facts, then we'd do our own research.. This is supposed to be entertainment..

Not edutainment..

Ahh, don't mind Lapsed. Sure, he could turn naked gel wrestling with Eva Mendes into a dry business presentation rife with business buzz-terms, but he's good people.

rkenshin said:
If we wanted facts, then we'd do our own research.. This is supposed to be entertainment..

Not edutainment..

And anyway, the NES version clearly is not good... yes, he exaggerates in the reviews, but, if nothing else, shouldn't that staircase alone hurt the game's rating a lot?

Lapsed

Banned
Bloodwake said:
Yet again, GAF is making something on the Internet SERIOUS BUSINESS.

His reviews are all in good fun for ENTERTAINMENT purposes, not serious looks at the game.

Posting information about the game is 'serious business'?

If someone of the Playstation Generation reviewed a well recieved game (for its time) of the NES days (say Metroid or Shadowgate) and said how bad it was (like the bubble head of Samus or how you constantly die in Shadowgate in various ways), you would point out while it may seem that way today, it was interesting back then. Other games Nintendo Nerd reviewed like Dr. J and Mr. Hyde and TMNT were bad and infuriating from day one. But this is the first time (that I have seen) him rag on a pre-NES game where its faults are mostly because it is simply an old game.

Comedy is dependent on truth; this is why comedians are so dependent on the 'truths' of human nature (and what not) for their jokes to resonate. I like Nintendo Nerd and have enjoyed his previous works. But this one was sloppy since it wasn't a NES game to start with.

I hate to be the new guy to step on the regular folk's toes, but man, let it rest. Nintendo nerd is entertaining and I don't care if he cheats to make his show funnier.

Tim-E

4455normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

Lapsed said:
Posting information about the game is 'serious business'?

If someone of the Playstation Generation reviewed a well recieved game (for its time) of the NES days (say Metroid or Shadowgate) and said how bad it was (like the bubble head of Samus or how you constantly die in Shadowgate in various ways), you would point out while it may seem that way today, it was interesting back then. Other games Nintendo Nerd reviewed like Dr. J and Mr. Hyde and TMNT were bad and infuriating from day one. But this is the first time (that I have seen) him rag on a pre-NES game where its faults are mostly because it is simply an old game.

Comedy is dependent on truth; this is why comedians are so dependent on the 'truths' of human nature (and what not) for their jokes to resonate. I like Nintendo Nerd and have enjoyed his previous works. But this one was sloppy since it wasn't a NES game to start with.

That's where you're wrong though... it's already been shown that TMNT wasn't as bad as he suggested, and he overemphasized some of the negatives in order to make it look bad (mainly, trying to jump over that jump you can simply walk over). And it wasn't a bad game, either -- I have the DOS port, which is the same except that it lets you save, and it was pretty good... very hard, but fun.

Despite that, I thought the review of it was very funny, because it was. :) (though if he wanted to focus on how hard it really was, more of the evil evil water level and less of that jump that you don't have to jump might have been good)

And also, it's on the NES, and I'll bet almost no one who played the NES version had any idea that it was a port, so I don't know how much that really should count...

rkenshin

Lost Fragment said:
GameTrailers needs to stop with the browser resizing stat.

I believe it does that with Firefox, but when in IE Tab mode (the extension), it doesn't..

Glad to have that extension since I don't need to bring up IE anymore

OMG!! When it got to the staircase bit I've seriously never laughed so hard in my life, and it takes alot for me. Anyone who could get through this using a regular controller is god. The bit about the ghost scrolling up with you was especially halarious.

Christopher

Adagio said:
I don't understand.

Angry Nintendo Nerd is not funny.

What's wrong with you folks...? :(

all the 15 year olds on the board seemed to be amused with "ass from a straw" and other such illustrious commentary.

Christopher said:
all the 15 year olds on the board seemed to be amused with "ass from a straw" and other such illustrious commentary.

When he goes off on 2 minute cursing tangents I lose interest, but some of his videos do have their moments. I like the "why did this game have to be designed so badly moments", like his rant about the end of the Ghostbusters game or the map in the Friday the 13th game. I get amusement from almost any review that is a game based on a movie, because of course they are never anything like the movie, like Back to the Future. His Halloween 2-parter had some moments, along with his movie review of TMNT3. He really likes ****ing all over your childhood nostalgia.

Shard said:
::Blows dust off of the thread.::

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=17965&type=mov

The AVGN has returned with a follow-up to Ghostbusters.

Where's the anger in this one? It's like the quality of his videos has gone downhill ever since he got on GameTrailers. He doesn't even swear anymore, he doesn't even try to be funny... He did a serious review of a shitty game. And that's not why I like watching his videos.

I want the usual pitiless trashing of shitty games.

Alex

Christopher said:

We're sorry our time spent on the GAF isn't better spent asking internet goons for downright creepy personal life advice.

That said I haven't seen the new one, but the last one wasn't exactly cleaned up, I still thought it was fairly damn amusing. It's a nice nostalgic trip of just how far we've come. Really knocks off the rose tinted glasses in many cases, even if this is of the trash.

Christopher

Alex said:
We're sorry our time spent on the GAF isn't better spent asking internet goons for downright creepy personal life advice.

That said I haven't seen the new one, but the last one wasn't exactly cleaned up, I still thought it was fairly damn amusing. It's a nice nostalgic trip of just how far we've come. Really knocks off the rose tinted glasses in many cases, even if this is of the trash.

:lol

Adagio said:
I don't understand.

Angry Nintendo Nerd is not funny.

What's wrong with you folks...? :(

You may want to sit down. This is clearly new information for you, and it's going to be a startling revelation.

You comfy?

Okay, here goes. People other than you sometimes possibly have different opinions from you. This includes many things, including religious and/or spiritual beliefs, sense of humour, favorite foods, favorite movies, and yes, even favorite games. I know that's a lot to take in, but understanding that will help you with this current crisis you're having and help you on your way to becoming a mature, self-actualized human being.

I just have to say that people ragging on that interview chick on this forum are completely pathetic. Get a reality check! She's hot! Doesn't mean you have to hate her automatically. She did her job.

And I happen to think AVGN is hilarious.

Fourth Storm said:
I just have to say that people ragging on that interview chick on this forum are completely pathetic. Get a reality check! She's hot! Doesn't mean you have to hate her automatically. She did her job.

Agreed. Girl is nice looking, and the interview was funny... staged? Obviously. I mean it's an interview. :lol

farnham

Banned
Fourth Storm said:

ANN or AVGN whatever.. is funny

but the interview was bleh..

i kinda wished for a serious interview..

well his reviews are really funny.. but he is not like that in real life.. why act like that in an interview

btw the theme music is awesome

the problem with the interview was that he was kind of half in character. either make it a real interview with the creator of AVGN, or make it a full blown spoof with all the trademark AVGN anger and humour of the show. this interview tried to go with the latter, but stumbled replicating the mood of the show...

farnham

Banned
VultureDude said:
the problem with the interview was that he was kind of half in character. either make it a real interview with the creator of AVGN, or make it a full blown spoof with all the trademark AVGN anger and humour of the show. this interview tried to go with the latter, but stumbled replicating the mood of the show...
luke should interview AVGN

fallout

VultureDude said:
Pretty much. It's interesting to watch a character fall apart when they're in a different environment. For contrast, have a look at Colbert on O'Reilly's show, or when he did the White House Press Correspondent's Dinner.

bengraven

Segata Sanshiro said:
You may want to sit down. This is clearly new information for you, and it's going to be a startling revelation.

You comfy?

Okay, here goes. People other than you sometimes possibly have different opinions from you. This includes many things, including religious and/or spiritual beliefs, sense of humour, favorite foods, favorite movies, and yes, even favorite games. I know that's a lot to take in, but understanding that will help you with this current crisis you're having and help you on your way to becoming a mature, self-actualized human being.

Wow, that deserves another tag. Someone needs to get on that.

Pachinko

I was wondering when the final part was coming, I was really curious to see what he thought of ghostbusters 2 seeing as how it's only marginally better then the original.

I haven't even gotten past the half mark in his Friday the 13th review... but his complaints about the stones are totally stupid.

DUCK, YOU JACKASS!

And, have you ever heard, Angry Nintendo Nerd, of checking to see what direction you've been walking in small increments? It's not too difficult to find out... walk in a direction for 5 seconds, and see where you've been heading on the map...

I'm starting to think that he didn't play these games as we all did in the 80's... he started playing them much later.

EDIT: not to mention, the production values are way too high now.

Giard

Haven't seen the review for the Ghostbusters genesis game yet, but I hope he rated it good.

It was my first console game ever

EDIT: :D

And, WTF... he complains that going through the cabins is too confusing? I never, EVER, remember having difficulty with this... AND THE LAST TIME I PLAYED THIS GAME, I WAS 8 YEARS OLD!

Alex

No, that game just genuinely sucked back then. :p I hated that thing so much, I used to play my games into the ground when I was a kid but I think I spent about a couple hours at most on it.

As for the Ghost Busters game, they're pretty lost on me because I've never seen the movies nor had an ounce of exposure to the franchise as a kid.

TMNT, I was really big on, I want to see that movie, but it takes a lot to get me to go to a theater nowadays. Theyre just so trashy where I live, they build them fairly often it feels like, the ones here arent too old but they seem to go to shit in record time.

Better to just stay at home with a DVD. besides, ticket prices are rapidly catching up to the 13-14 bucks it costs to buy a week one DVD anyway

Top Bottom