• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing focused Nintendo Direct 10/5 20:00

If this is Fall 2013 I might have to take drastic action.

Fry-Gets-Frozen-futurama-605744_640_476.jpg

The logic of not doing a global Christmas 2012 launch just astounds me. They really think Paper Mario will outsell it?

@MUWANdo

Banned
The logic of not doing a global Christmas 2012 launch just astounds me. They really think Paper Mario will outsell it?

It's not like they just chose to delay the international release--Animal Crossing games take much longer to localise than any other Nintendo game, and they've got a ton of other stuff in the works including the launch of a new console. If they could release it internationally for the holidays they would, but they can't, so they aren't.

If this is Fall 2013 I might have to take drastic action.

It may have simply been a matter of AC will sell anytime, whereas Paper Mario's best shot is Christmas, AC is more work (probably) anyway and they need as many staff as possible working on Wii U games and other stuff related to it.

It may have simply been a matter of AC will sell anytime, whereas Paper Mario's best shot is Christmas, AC is more work (probably) anyway and they need as many staff as possible working on Wii U games and other stuff related to it.

I don't buy it. City Folk released globally, no reason this can't. Especially considering it's been worked on since 2010.

Neiteio

This seven-minute overview video -- WOW! At first it looks familiar, but then it becomes quickly apparent there are lots and lots and LOTS of new details, and I say this as someone who hasn't played the series since Wild World (I just dabbled in City Folk). And visually, the game looks so nice and colorful, with far more design work in the houses and shops (exteriors especially), and the inclusion of outdoor furniture and mayoral duties and minigames on the island like the timed hedge maze race just make this such a DENSE game. I think that's the major difference: the game no longer looks sparse. There's so much to do, indoors and outdoors, in terms of customization and interaction and playing around; it's no longer sparse and empty, but full of things to see and do. The game looks like it has Mario Galaxy-levels of polish, too. It just seems inspired. I'm seriously surprised and impressed by what I'm seeing here. :)

Tiktaalik

gah it's so brutal to see so much media and hype for this game when there's no NA release in sight. This should really be coming here for this xmas. :( :( :(

I don't buy it. City Folk released globally, no reason this can't. Especially considering it's been worked on since 2010.

Again, it's a matter of priority - Animal Crossing will sell well next year, too, and sell well next Christmas, too, probably. Paper Mario, unproven on handhelds, is more risky and so they put it with holidays to guarantee it will sell now, because it might not sell well next Christmas if they release in the Spring.

Maybe the City Folk experience taught them not to localise simultaneously with development? Maybe it was hard for the team, or slowed them down? Doing a localization at the same time can be much more time consuming (and thus more expensive) than doing one while still developing.

I dunno. The game is definitely being localised, though and it's only a few months.

Hobby

tDAvP.jpg

Site updated with some new info and an introduction video.

- Take 3D in-game pictures.

- Hold original exhibitions at the museum. Build a second floor in the museum through community work to open the museum shop and original exhibition room.

- Palotini will reward your hard work with a badge. Badges include ones for catching a lot of fish, gathering a bunch of stuff from the ocean, pulling lots of weeds, etc. Badges are displayed on your profile, so anyone you streetpass with will see your badges.

- Can work part-time at the cafe if you're a regular customer or order coffee for take out. Working part time will reward you with unique furniture.

- Fortune Teller hut opens through community work. Follow your fortune and keep a lucky item with you and something good might happen.

- ID card box: Passcard given to you once you're registered as a citizen. The photo used on the card is taken in the ID card box.

- Can now look up at the sky. Can see things such as a rainbow after it rains, aurora on cold nights, cumulonimbus clouds in the summer, shooting stars, balloons with presents, etc.

- Fruit produced in your village can now have special flavors or appearances to them.

- Animals from other villages will come to visit in the camp grounds. You can play games with them such as gesture games or rock, paper, scissors.

- Play hide and seek with the villagers you're good friends with. Can get items if you manage to find them all.

- Become good friends with one of the villagers and they might send you a special letter with a photo attached that you can place in your house.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj/movie/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj

- Become good friends with one of the villagers and they might send you a special letter with a photo attached that you can place in your house.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! *faints from happy* Daisy, I will have your photo once again!!!! I swears it!

StayDead

- Animals from other villages will come to visit in the camp grounds. You can play games with them such as gesture games or rock, paper, scissors.

- Play hide and seek with the villagers you're good friends with. Can get items if you manage to find them all.

More stuff to do with the villagers again!

:D

- Palotini will reward your hard work with a badge. Badges include ones for catching a lot of fish, gathering a bunch of stuff from the ocean, pulling lots of weeds, etc. Badges are displayed on your profile, so anyone you streetpass with will see your badges.

- Can now look up at the sky. Can see things such as a rainbow after it rains, aurora on cold nights, cumulonimbus clouds in the summer, shooting stars, balloons with presents, etc.

- Fruit produced in your village can now have special flavors or appearances to them.

ibpIY7PHElt7Zj.gif

Kudos to Sumwheat from ACC for mentioning this:

If you go to the site on your 3DS browser, in the "what's new section" you can snag a 3D picture in the "Capture your memories as 3D pics"

Here is a QR code for your 3DS to get you there w/o having to go find it. Just have to tap the picture to see it in 3D and save it
QR CODE

Revven

Wow, I wonder if there's more news coming still? They've even gone out of their way to implement an in-game achievement system, pretty cool!

watershed

Banned
Finally I can fulfill my dreams of working at a cafe without actually having to deal with the shitty pay and stuck up customers!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
tDAvP.jpg

Site updated with some new info and an introduction video.

- Take 3D in-game pictures.

- Hold original exhibitions at the museum. Build a second floor in the museum through community work to open the museum shop and original exhibition room.

- Can work part-time at the cafe if you're a regular customer or order coffee for take out. Working part time will reward you with unique furniture.

- Fortune Teller hut opens through community work. Follow your fortune and keep a lucky item with you and something good might happen.

- ID card box: Passcard given to you once you're registered as a citizen. The photo used on the card is taken in the ID card box.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj/movie/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj

TzFF9.gif

blamite

Can we change skin color for our characters without using a mii?

It'd be nice if you could choose a Mii for each character to be assosciated with, even if you don't use their mask, and have your character's skin color be based on that of your Mii.

WAIT, THIS LOOKS AMAZING. I had some reservations after feeling burned by City Folk and I knew Nintendo would try to freshen up the series somewhat with this game, but I didn't expect all this stuff.
ibgGsvQNtl58gr.gif

SmithnCo

God damn! Sounds like they're really stepping it up after the lackluster Wii game. This is suddenly one of my more anticipated releases.

Refugio

God damn! Sounds like they're really stepping it up after the lackluster Wii game. This is suddenly one of my more anticipated releases.

It wasn't even on my radar until I watched all the stuff in this thread. Now I just really want to play it lol.

Top Bottom