• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer | Import Thread

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok so I got the game today and played a bit. I finished the tutorial and then designed about four houses. Lots of stuff is still locked (like choosing the house location, designing the garden) and I can only work with quite small rooms and limited furniture but so far I can give a quick impression of the mechanics.

The whole decorating part of the game seems to work pretty much flawless. It's so easy to move around stuff and flip and rotate! Choosing furniture from the catalog also works very well as everything is categorized, though I wonder if it won't get super chaotic as you unlock more stuff.

Designing pretty rooms is quite challenging in the beginning as you have only a small selection of items, but that also makes it pretty fun.

I hope more stuff unlocks soon because right now I feel like I could get bored of this pretty fast as the options are pretty limited right now. I wonder if that will change once I get to design facilities and gardens as well. The rooms are also quite small right now so that really limits your options.

But again, I've only played about two hours so far. I gotta run now but I'll play some more later this evening. If anyone has questions, now is the time to ask them!

Awesome, please keep posting and screen shots too!

Can you make multiple character/profiles for members of the same hosuehold to have their own "file"?

Velcro Fly

Someone found that the price set in Europe for a pack of 3 cards is €7.99.

That's 1095 yen, which is just absolutely ridiculous.

holy fuck

i'm terrified now what a pack of 6 cards in NA will cost

I mean want this game kinda and the cards too but man I'll just restart my town on New Leaf and save a thousand dollars...

tiijj

For those who bought a box of the AC Amiibo cards I might have good news for you, I still need more data since I only had one from one youtube video (well it was cut in two). It seems like you get the entire line up, all 100 unique cards (with doubles of course). You can see the distribution on the AC Amiibo List I put together, I'll look for more unboxing to check if this person is just lucky or it was designed this way. I also noticed that when a double comes up, the entire pack are composed of doubles and I believe that they are the same combination of cards.

PS: I was bored... really bored... lol

Impotaku

For those who bought a box of the AC Amiibo cards I might have good news for you, I still need more data since I only had one from one youtube video (well it was cut in two). It seems like you get the entire line up, all 100 unique cards (with doubles of course). You can see the distribution on the AC Amiibo List I put together, I'll look for more unboxing to check if this person is just lucky or it was designed this way. I also noticed that when a double comes up, the entire pack are composed of doubles and I believe that they are the same combination of cards.

PS: I was bored... really bored... lol

Well i appreciate the fruits of your boredom, hope that it's true that you can get a full set from one box it would make collecting them a hell of a lot easier if you just have to buy a full box of boosters. Been a few times back in the day when i was going through all this with Nintendos e-reader and i was buying full boxes of cards from Japan and only when opening the last few packs did i manage to complete a set. It's rather scary as booster pack boxes were not easily found in the e-reader days.

With 4 series it's going to be harder to get hold of the series 3 & 4 boxes as people will be looking for them a lot more now. Will have to watch Amazon Japan like a hawk for when series 3 & 4 appear.

Robin64

Interestingly, there are 330 villagers in Animal Crossing. Add the 17 special cards per series, that brings us to 398 cards.
My money's on these two new special ones (Number 7 and Airuu) being cards at some point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
These are the cards I got today:
CLKzgbyVEAA-cj4.jpg:large
Bonbon! You lucky son of a gun.

Since home design was one of my favourite aspects of AC I'm interested in this. Will keep an eye on this thread.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No streetpass is a bit of a bummer. Was quite nice to see other people's houses. But I suppose the lack of earning items over a slow period of time would make fancy house less impressive.

SuperSah

Banned
This game removes everything I love about Animal Crossing, the online play, walking around town, having actual reason to talk to characters etc.

Not too keen on this if I'm honest, despite being an avid New Leaf fan with well over 600 hours and more including the previous titles. It just doesn't really seem to jump out at me very much, and I'm not keen on the fact you'll end up shelling so much cash on this game to do more yet alone buying the base game.

I'll pass on this one, sadly.

Impotaku

Interestingly, there are 330 villagers in Animal Crossing. Add the 17 special cards per series, that brings us to 398 cards.
My money's on these two new special ones (Number 7 and Airuu) being cards at some point.

Hoping that's the case but with Nintendo you never know they could just fll out the gaps in the last remaining cards with outfit variations or something but i'd like to hope that the 2 DL only ones will be available for people who are not near a specific wifi point. That's a lot of conveni furniture to miss out on if you cant get the data.

kubus

Played a bit more today though not as much as I initially planned to... Life keeps getting in the way, grr

Someone asked if you can make multiple profiles... The answer is, unfortunately, no. You only get one save file :(. I guess the reason is that you don't share an town like in the original AC titles - each profile would be able to create over 300 different houses that all need to be stored and loaded.

I agree that it's disappointing that there is no online, multiplayer or streetpass function at all. It would've nice if you could choose one house that you're proud of and share that with others through Streetpass (or let everyone decorate their own house, also a feature that I sorely miss - where does our character sleep?!). Kinda weird that such a title doesn't have any social features at all, beside sharing screenshots through social media/Miiverse of course...

Anyway on to some new impressions of the game.

By now I've designed two facilities, unlocked a bunch more options and features and designed a plethora of houses. The game is getting more fun with every in-game day that passes by, so that's a good thing :D.

I like the way there's some kind of story mode woven into the gameplay, so it's not just > find animal > design house > go to next day > repeat. After every job Takumi has something new to say when I return to the office, and sometimes Tom Nook shows up at work and has something to say, and other times Isabelle visits with a request to design a new facility. After each job I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of new job awaits next. It's like the game equivalent of wanting to turn the page in a book.

Speaking of the facilities... They're awesome! As I said, I've only done two so far. It's so exciting to walk into that big empty ugly building and having an endless amount of tools and furniture available to really turn it into something amazing. I always loved designing and decorating houses in the Sims more than actually playing with the Sims, so maybe that's why. And once again, I have to stress that the actual designing and decorating goes so smoothly now. The game wouldn't have worked without the touch controls of the 3DS. It all feels so natural and fluid. The only complaint I have is that scrolling through the furniture is a bit slow. I'm unlocking more and more stuff and I'm starting to notice that it takes quite some time now to find the things I want.

When you're done designing a facility, the place is filled up with NPCs and they start interacting in the context of the environment. The school is automatically set up to recognize where the teacher's desk is and the student's desks and you can change yourself who plays what role with amiibo cards. If you have the Isabelle card, you tap the teacher icon in a setting screen and then scan her card and she will pop up in the room in teacher's attire and "teacher behavior". I also found that different scenes occur when you walk into a facility at different times, so sometimes the animals are in the middle of a lecture and sometimes they're having lunch break, etc. Of course, their dialogue changes as well depending on what they're doing so it is worth it to talk to them.

I just quit playing after designing the store (you actually get a choice between three facilities the next time Isabelle visits) so haven't had a chance yet to see what kind of things occur there but I'm already looking forward to visiting the town again and see what everyone's up to.

Next... I like how play coins are used. No wait, let me rephrase that. I like that there's finally a game again that uses play coins! You use play coins to study different courses at your desk, which in turn unlock new features. For example, unlocking hanging lamps, fossils, insects, new hairstyles, the ability to make your own designs or change furniture's colors, etc. Different courses require different amount of coins but it's usually around 2-5 coins per course. You can only do one course a day, but I think that's an in-game day instead of 24 hours (haven't really tested that yet as I actually did my second course after midnight :p)

Oh and designing gardens really is fun, though your options are still a bit limited because there's only so many things you can put in a garden without it becoming silly. Still, it's really nice that you can decide a house's entire shape, colors, type of roof and the doors. You can also change the design of the fencing and of course you have an entire arsenal of trees and flowers in your catalog. The ability to place items outside allows you to think outside the box which is fun too. For example, I placed a small rug outside and put some apples and a lunch box from the school set on it. Tada, picnic get :D.

All in all, so far I'm really enjoying this game a lot. It's absolutely perfect for pick up and play and just like everything Animal Crossing, this game is adorable as hell (uhh.. that sounds weird but you get my point). One thing I forgot to mention is that I love how you can interact with so much stuff. I don't know if that was true for New Leaf as well, but it feels like they really expanded on this. Pressing the action button when you're standing near a radio makes you dance or shake some castanets, when near a cup of coffee you will start drinking it and near books... well, you get my point. Villagers will also really use the stuff you've given them instead of walking aimlessly around the room which I really appreciate. Makes coming over so much more fun. (Also you can drag them around and "force" them to interact with things if you want to set up some scenes for screenshots or something)

Ok that's enough for today! Time for some sleep. If anyone has questions drop them here and I'll check them out tomorrow.

(btw Impotaku - the game told me something about saving a room to an amiibo card and by scanning it in you unlock all the furniture in that room. Maybe that's an easy way to get that 7-11 furniture you're looking for? I'll check again if it really works that way if you want me to, just let me know!)

Impotaku

If you are able to get the 7-11 stuff saved to a card Kubus i'll gladly take you up on that offer.

When my box of cards gets here i'd gladly trade you any of my doubles for any card that has the complete 7-11 set on it for me to add into my game, hell i'd even pay hard cash :). I kind of have a thing for Japanese convenience stores, my game collection has a few conveni centric games in there lol. I even used the design feature in minna no conveni to turn mine into a 7-11 hehe
minna%20no%20conveni_11_28830.png
minna%20no%20conveni_54_28971.png
minna%20no%20conveni_31_29091.png

When i saw that there was a conveni in the commercial i got excited then later on i learned the way you unlock it and i got sad again.

kubus

Sure thing! I'll check it out tomorrow if it really works that way. I have one double card anyway (Takumi) so I can use that one! If you get Bob double I would be eternally grateful for that one (he is my absolute fave) but otherwise a simple swap for one of your doubles is fine with me too :D.

I'll let you know when I've figured it out :)

btw forgot to add screenshots to my post just now. Here's a few, though they were uploaded to twitter so pretty crap quality.

CLVVozjUwAAN1DD.jpg
CLVVDP9UcAEW8K8.jpg

CLVUyObVEAAym82.jpg
CLTClq7UcAE3aMc.jpg

CLS2xRDUcAADhsa.jpg

Impotaku

Sure thing! I'll check it out tomorrow if it really works that way. I have one double card anyway (Takumi) so I can use that one! If you get Bob double I would be eternally grateful for that one (he is my absolute fave) but otherwise a simple swap for one of your doubles is fine with me too :D.

btw forgot to add screenshots to my post just now. Here's a few, though they were uploaded to twitter so pretty crap quality.

CLVVozjUwAAN1DD.jpg
CLVVDP9UcAEW8K8.jpg

CLVUyObVEAAym82.jpg
CLTClq7UcAE3aMc.jpg

CLS2xRDUcAADhsa.jpg

Hnnnnnggggg look it's there all conveni looking and everything, so envious :) Loving the pics.

Where did you order a box from?

They were available on Amazon Japan for a few days to preorder before all the scum bought them all up and then flipped them onto the marketplace with a 10,000 yen markup.

tiijj

Well i appreciate the fruits of your boredom, hope that it's true that you can get a full set from one box it would make collecting them a hell of a lot easier if you just have to buy a full box of boosters. Been a few times back in the day when i was going through all this with Nintendos e-reader and i was buying full boxes of cards from Japan and only when opening the last few packs did i manage to complete a set. It's rather scary as booster pack boxes were not easily found in the e-reader days.

With 4 series it's going to be harder to get hold of the series 3 & 4 boxes as people will be looking for them a lot more now. Will have to watch Amazon Japan like a hawk for when series 3 & 4 appear.

I did another and it seems to complete the entire set as well, the distribution is not as good as the first one though (the second one had 4 Pascal/ラコスケ, while the first one had 2-3 for each SP) than the other SP. . I'll try to see if I can find another one, I'm really glad that it might be easy/stress free to complete a set, well I hope so.

I heard that there were manufacturing problems with the AC Amiibo cards, that's why they are difficult to find, well it's a normal Nintendo thing, I guess.

I got used to the Amiibo thing and I think that it might not be as bad but I'm keeping an eye out for Series 3 & 4 as well.

(btw Impotaku - the game told me something about saving a room to an amiibo card and by scanning it in you unlock all the furniture in that room. Maybe that's an easy way to get that 7-11 furniture you're looking for? I'll check again if it really works that way if you want me to, just let me know!)

So it is possible to distribute/share those items via the amiibo cards? Nice!

Damn, thanks. I'm desperate to import a box here.

Just wait for the reprint, hopefully they will be abundant by then. You missed out on Series 1 & 2 since they were both available for pre-order at the same time. Your best bet is Series 3 & 4, and I guess wait for the reprint of Series 1 & 2.

JoeM86

They're doing promo cards :/ Did we know this already?
tumblr_inline_nsfdc5ZLE61rmjx4g_400.jpg

The amiibo card is a variation of the Isabelle one from the first series of Happy Home Designer packs with a different design that won’t be available elsewhere, although this difference may only be aesthetic. Character Parfait is on sale now for ¥800, but is already reportedly in short supply at many bookstores.

http://www.japanese3ds.com/post/125627470659

Shoyz

I saw a CP card saying that it was Isabelle but I didn't know it was from the magazine. It looks like it's sold out now, only used from resellers which I'm guessing no more cards.

All amazon japan listings are under 'second hand' but all of them seem to include the card still from what I could make from Google translate, just at a 2x markup.

Impotaku

Ah so that's what the shizue card looks like, still waiting for my magazines to arrive, there's that issue with shizue and theres a summer special issue with an exclusive binder that i posted a pic of on the 2nd page of this thread.

LOL you know you have it bad when you are buying Japanese magazines for girls. Have a feeling that more cards are going to appear in those mags.

Chaos17

CLVVozjUwAAN1DD.jpg
CLVVDP9UcAEW8K8.jpg

CLVUyObVEAAym82.jpg
CLTClq7UcAE3aMc.jpg

CLS2xRDUcAADhsa.jpg

This is adorable, I must resist.
I just bought back New leaf recently >_<

Impotaku

I did another and it seems to complete the entire set as well, the distribution is not as good as the first one though (the second one had 4 Pascal/&#12521;&#12467;&#12473;&#12465;, while the first one had 2-3 for each SP) than the other SP. . I'll try to see if I can find another one, I'm really glad that it might be easy/stress free to complete a set, well I hope so.

I heard that there were manufacturing problems with the AC Amiibo cards, that's why they are difficult to find, well it's a normal Nintendo thing, I guess.

I got used to the Amiibo thing and I think that it might not be as bad but I'm keeping an eye out for Series 3 & 4 as well.

So it is possible to distribute/share those items via the amiibo cards? Nice!

Just wait for the reprint, hopefully they will be abundant by then. You missed out on Series 1 & 2 since they were both available for pre-order at the same time. Your best bet is Series 3 & 4, and I guess wait for the reprint of Series 1 & 2.

Was reading a review on Amazon someone who bought a box also commented in their review that they got a complete set of cards as well so it's looking likely that you can get a complete set from one box.

Noticed a lot of salty Japanese on youtube, any video that shows anyone opening card packs or even worse a full box seems to get a lot of thumbs down in the ratings and salty comments. Was like that with youkai watch medals, it's kind of pathetic.

tiijj

Was reading a review on Amazon someone who bought a box also commented in their review that they got a complete set of cards as well so it's looking likely that you can get a complete set from one box.

Noticed a lot of salty Japanese on youtube, any video that shows anyone opening card packs or even worse a full box seems to get a lot of thumbs down in the ratings and salty comments. Was like that with youkai watch medals, it's kind of pathetic.

I'm really glad about that, it's hard enough to get booster packs. It's a good thing that they actually completed the entire set in one box.

It's also similar to the regular amiibo. When someone post their collection at the reddit amiibo, it's normal to be heavily downvoted.

Could you take a picture of the (mini and the bigger) binder that you got (when you get it of course lol)? I didn't get either one, I guess I decided to just pick up a plain color binder for MTG/Pokemon/etc.. cards. I'm curious what it look like.

Impotaku

My cards/game/binders have finally shipped from tenso, so in a few days i'll be able to check if i can also get a full set from one box. If you would like to know the card distribution in my box i'd be glad to let you know once i have gone through it.

I'll take pics of both binders when they arrive, the small binders are in this parcel that's coming the other binder that was with that girls magazine is still sat at tenso as i have a few more things i'm waiting for before i combine it all into one parcel.

Amazon has gone crazy at the moment, nearly 30,000 yen for a box of either series 1 or 2. Totally disgusting to price gouge them that high, the people selling them for that should be ashamed.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So this game is going to be $39.99 + Amiibo cards. That sounds a bit steep. Is it possible to enjoy this game in all its content without buying the cards? Sounds like this could skyrocket to be a very expensive game very quickly.

Oli

So this game is going to be $39.99 + Amiibo cards. That sounds a bit steep. Is it possible to enjoy this game in all its content without buying the cards? Sounds like this could skyrocket to be a very expensive game very quickly.

I believe it's been mentioned before, but from my understanding the cards unlock the characters instantaneously. You can play the game without the cards, the neighbors will just show up randomly though and at a slower rate.

You only need to buy Amiibo Cards for the special characters. So design the villagers' homes to your heart's content, but want to design Isabelle's home? Pay up.

NewGame

Banned
What? No StreetPass? Why? I get no online but no StreetPass?

I dunno man, game is seriously halfbaked. Looks like a cheap cash in due to the striking bubble of players who bought New Leaf.

This is a great way to crap all over the title. DLC micro decorating whatevers.

tiijj

My cards/game/binders have finally shipped from tenso, so in a few days i'll be able to check if i can also get a full set from one box. If you would like to know the card distribution in my box i'd be glad to let you know once i have gone through it.

I'll take pics of both binders when they arrive, the small binders are in this parcel that's coming the other binder that was with that girls magazine is still sat at tenso as i have a few more things i'm waiting for before i combine it all into one parcel.

Amazon has gone crazy at the moment, nearly 30,000 yen for a box of either series 1 or 2. Totally disgusting to price gouge them that high, the people selling them for that should be ashamed.

Yes please, that would be appreciated.

The small binder seems to be a 1 pocket binder so it fits 1 card per page or 2 cards back to back while the ones from CP seems to be a 4 pocket binder, judging from its size.

Yeah that's crazy, it's amiibo figures all over lol. They increase the msrp by 2-5 times. Thankfully I have series 2 pre-ordered. Did you see the old animal crossing AR cards? It was 1,000 yen a few days ago then it increased to like 6,000 yen when I saw it yesterday or the day before that. Crazy!

It's hard not to watch the lets play on this game but I don't wanna spoil it. Hopefully it's a big game like AC NL.

Sorry if this has been addressed but I've been trying to avoid coverage as I want to experience the game myself on US release. Did have one question, though: how does time / the calendar work? Is it structured similarly to the main-line games? Or is there a set progression with an end game? I don't want another game I "have to" play daily for years straight, I'm already crazy enough.

EDIT: And I come bearing gifts: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wallpaper/summer_3ds/index.html
ZR7x7Ou.png

kubus

@Impotaku: omg look at all those cards... So jealous! *prays there's two Bobs in there :p*

Sorry if this has been addressed but I've been trying to avoid coverage as I want to experience the game myself on US release. Did have one question, though: how does time / the calendar work? Is it structured similarly to the main-line games? Or is there a set progression with an end game? I don't want another game I "have to" play daily for years straight, I'm already crazy enough.
There is no real-time system in place like with any other AC game. You can end the day whenever you feel like by writing a report at your desk. You can only do one design job each day so when you come back from a job it's nighttime and you have to end the day if you want to take on another design request.

You're basically free to do whatever and whenever you want to.

Impotaku

Ended up been too weak to leave my box sat there unopened lol, opened every pack to see if i got a full set, after a bit of sweating after i thought i was missing a card and getting them all in order i found out that i had a full set plus some left over. So it seems that if you do buy a full box of boosters then you will get a complete set.

Velcro Fly

Ended up been too weak to leave my box sat there unopened lol, opened every pack to see if i got a full set, after a bit of sweating after i thought i was missing a card and getting them all in order i found out that i had a full set plus some left over. So it seems that if you do buy a full box of boosters then you will get a complete set.

Now to find a place in NA that will let me buy a full box...

Impotaku

@Impotaku: omg look at all those cards... So jealous! *prays there's two Bobs in there :p*

There is no real-time system in place like with any other AC game. You can end the day whenever you feel like by writing a report at your desk. You can only do one design job each day so when you come back from a job it's nighttime and you have to end the day if you want to take on another design request.

Sorry Kubus there was only one Bob card in my entire box double checked my spares just now, do you have a second favourite? I have a lot of sparkly SP cards that i have doubles of plus some of the normal villagers.

Did you have any luck with been able to save that 7-11 stuff onto an amiibo card or is it impossible to do so?

tiijj

Sparkly usually appear 2-4 times each per box. Which is good in a way since the sparklies are the only NPC which doesn't appear randomly in the game. It makes it easier to get one I guess.

Also damn dude, mine is still stuck in transit. It hasn't even arrive in Canadia. I see that you got the AC tape, I opted for the non-tape one coz I'm cheap LOL

Oh yeah, I read that series 2 will be postponed.

I'm also compiling a list of the NPC in the game, it seems like there's a new
variant of Tom Nook wearing a Crown, King Nook or whatever his name will be
. These might be the villagers & sp characters that might be release in card form.

So there are no holidays and places open at set times and all of that? What about progression, is there an end game? I kind of love the idea of this being a normal-sized game I can play through, enjoy, then move on from. The main-line AC thirst is real, I'm at 415 hours played in New Leaf...
:(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
must not buy, must not buy, must not buy, must not buy, must not buy. D:

*attempts to close amazon window but fails*

Top Bottom