• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Review Leaf - Check it out! I dug up a 9!

9s galore!

4ypR67a.gif

Moxx19

Banned
As someone who has never played an AC game, what makes this one si much better than the others? Is it worth a purchase?

GetemMa

I have the $40 on my 3DS eshop account. Ready and waiting to DL this at Midnight on Saturday.

Another great game for the 3DS this year too.

SodaBeam

Neo Member
Wow. Really surprised with this one.

You thought Edge wouldn't like AC? They did a really terrific piece on the original version for the GameCube years ago, that was actually what convinced me to get that game. I can't find what they scored it though...

javac

You have to really just play it to understand.

No no! You've got me mistaken! I'm in love with this game! I've always been fascinated with the series but never tried it. New Leaf had me hooked from the minute I saw it. And the reason why is clear as day.

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
I never played an Animal Crossing game, but I have a free downloadable game to chose between this one and Castlevania, and with the great reviews this is getting, I'll probably try AC. I hope I will enjoy it. ^^

Neiteio

These games are best-suited to portables, with their pick-up-and-play nature. Play a few minutes before you hit the sack, or sink in a few hours -- it's all good! I'll be downloading this so it's always ready to go.

Lots of new stuff this time around:

- Your house can be expanded to seven rooms, and the basement can be fully furnished, as well. You can customize the exterior of your house, too (castles, pagodas, etc, with picket fences, hedges, etc -- even different mailboxes).
- Apply custom patterns to furniture and individual PARTS of clothing. You can hang items on the walls. Clothing now includes pants, boots, etc; you can even wear swimsuits and go barefoot. And custom patterns can be shared via QR codes -- no painstaking pixel-by-pixel reproduction necessary; just point your camera and shoot!
- Snap screenshots wherever, whenever, to show the village to GAF ;)
- Choose where your house goes, where various buildings go; issue ordinances such as store hours (I.E. "a town that never sleeps").
- As mayor, collect public donations to build benches, bridges, fountains, light posts, playscapes, lighthouses, windmills, etc, and hold ribbon-cutting ceremonies for them.
- Utilize up to 10 custom tiles in your village, instead of eight. Some people have turned their village into an entire pixel-perfect replica of Dragon Quest maps this way!
- Stack multiple fruit in one inventory slot, and donate all of your fossils/fish/insects at once. New "perfect" fruit fetches an even higher price on the market!
- Work part-time at the coffee shop, go picnicking outside, drink coffee and enjoy ice cream outside, go camping, meet new villagers visiting as campers (or igloo-dwellers in the winter), go swimming and snorkeling and diving for treasure and fish, sit on a bench and look up at the sky to see shooting stars, the aurora borealis, etc.
- There is a 50 percent increase in items to collect over City Folk, which is a STAGGERING number of items, as well as FREE DLC. And the vast majority of furniture can be fully customized now via patterns.
- The mall across the train tracks is vastly improved, with a disco club, dedicated shoe store, dedicated gardening shop, and so on. You can meet past villagers here and even hire someone to pull your weeds, iirc.
- Check out a model village north of the mall to see homes received via StreetPass (and maybe SpotPass?), and order duplicates of their custom furniture, or simply be inspired for your own home.
- Upload a duplicate of your village online, for others to visit and do as they please, with NO RISK of vandalism since it is only a dream. Likewise, you can visit the villages of others, with no risk of vandalizing their town.
- Visit the perpetually summery Resort Island to unwind or enjoy minigames like timed hedge maze races with up to three others online.
- All real-world holidays return, new and improved, as well as a variety of all-new holidays.
- Turf no longer suffers degradation -- your land will stay in mint condition! And watered flowers sparkle to indicate they've been watered. :)

Tnetennba

To be fair I'd be jumping on the train no matter what the reviews said but it's still heartening so see this love pouring forth.

If you actually read the review, it sounds like a reasonable assessment.

Perhaps, but he does do his damn hardest to downplay the new content on offer. I really wonder how often he kept with it, as he says about Wild World;

When I played Wild World, I obsessively absorbed myself in it every single day, sometimes making it my first activity of the day. It was over a month before I realized it was compulsion, not enjoyment, driving me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm clueless about this franchise, and to be honest I can't help thinking it looks/sounds boring as fuck. Sometimes you have to go beyond your own borders though, so I shall buy it and give it a go!

Murrah

Banned
Man, why couldn't this have been out this week. Would've made this last week until E3 go by so much faster. So pumped for this

I'm clueless about this franchise, and to be honest I can't help thinking it looks/sounds boring as fuck. Sometimes you have to go beyond your own borders though, so I shall buy it and give it a go!

Yeah I'd definitely advise it. There's only so much explanation you can give as to why the game is good, eventually you just have to nut up and play the thing.

Animal Crossing is the quintessential "this should be boring, but it isn't" series. Some people of course will find it boring, but the people that like it generally love it without being able to explain why.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

We all love to be subjugated by a naked tanuki wearing nothing more than an apron.

Neiteio

The appeal is the game is always changing. Your village is completely your own, right down to the geographical layout. You can invite over other people via local or online, and visit their town (even when they're not online, since people can upload copies of their village via the dream world). You expand your house, furnish it, customize it, inside and outside. You help shape your village, what public works go where, from benches and bridges to police stations and stores. Fellow villagers come and go, and you attract more by increasing the town's appeal. For example, donating fossils and fish and insects to the museum will make for a thriving cultural institution. Well-kept flowers and trees will attract villagers, as well.

The game world continues 24/7 in real-time, whether you're there or not. The time of day changes; different music and events occur on the hour; weather changes; holidays come and go; villagers and special visitors like traveling salesmen come and go -- all whether you're there or not. You can be wandering around, gardening, planting trees, digging for fossils, collecting sea shells, fishing for rare fish, snorkeling for treasure, etc, when you come across a new house, with no one home; you run around the village and encounter a new villager, one of the HUNDREDS, and you learn his or her distinct personality, teach them catchphrases that go viral, run errands for them, host them over your house, etc. If someone visits your village in local or online play, one of your villagers may jump ship to their town, or vice-versa.

The game is always changing, constantly. It's simple, subtle at times, striking at others. Just a great emergent experience to play a few minutes at a time, or a few hours.

Can't wait for this weekend... I'll probably run to Best Buy for both an eshop card and a new SD card later today.

Edit:

Ordered the SD card from Amazon & will buy the eshop card later in the week.

Nice...looking forward to this one. First since the GC entry. Lots of substantial additions and I'm looking forward to all the new events and the freedom being a Mayor now offers.

Philia

I thought PC Magazine's blurb was best at describing my love for Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is a unique experience on the Nintendo 3DS that feels more like trimming a bonsai tree than playing a video game.

GRW810

Amazing reviews. If this sells as well elsewhere as it has in Japan out is going to be a phenomenal hit.

Fey

Banned
Welp, I wasn't sure whether or not to buy this because I've got the GC, DS, and Wii versions and wasn't sure if this one would be worth it. But it definitely sounds like the AC I've been wanting since the first.

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Sooooo excited for this, and the scores are just proving those two preorders I placed two months ago are absolutely worth it. Now... to just convince my local GS to host a midnight release!

- Stack multiple fruit in one inventory slot, and donate all of your fossils/fish/insects at once. New "perfect" fruit fetches an even higher price on the market!
- There is a 50 percent increase in items to collect over City Folk, which is a STAGGERING number of items, as well as FREE DLC. And the vast majority of furniture can be fully customized now via patterns.
- All real-world holidays return, new and improved, as well as a variety of all-new holidays.
- Turf no longer suffers degradation -- your land will stay in mint condition! And watered flowers sparkle to indicate they've been watered. :)

all dose featuers. all dem excites. o boi

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Over the past few weeks I've talked myself into buying this. Glad to see it's getting good reviews, and can't wait for it to claim my soul :(

Top Bottom