• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing U incoming?

Gamexplain has a new video up with some great ideas. I like the idea of moving into other people's towns (maybe like a vacation home? lol) and of having new areas to explore. The only stupid thing was how they completely wrote off having Amiibo-locked content, but whatever.

But in all honesty, this is one of my favorite series simply because this is how I basically learned all I know about fish and insect identification lol. I think it would be cool if they added in more Herps and birds, you can already catch the same animals you can live with anyway lol. If not that, I want to see the largest amount of findable things yet. Animal Crossing (along with Pokemon/Pikmin) might be one of the reasons why I got so interested in wildlife at a relatively early age, and I think that's a great educational aspect of these games.

What Amiibos would you like to see? I like to think of myself as a casual Amiibo buyer, but I'd be strongly tempted to get a Nook, Blathers, or Brewster.

Gamexplain has a new video up with some great ideas. I like the idea of moving into other people's towns (maybe like a vacation home? lol) and of having new areas to explore. The only stupid thing was how the completely wrote off having Amiibo-locked content, but whatever.

But in all honesty, this is one of my favorite series simply because this is how I basically learned all I know about fish and insect identification lol. I think it would be cool if they added in more Herps and birds, you can already catch the same animals you can live with anyway lol. If not that, I want to see the largest amount of findable things yet.

What Amiibos would you like to see? I like to think of myself as a casual Amiibo buyer, but I'd be strongly tempted to get a Nook, Blathers, or Brewster.

Crazy Red.

sora87

Gimme the option to evict villagers and pick the place where houses are built and I'm good to go. I'd also like villagers to get genuinely angry with you for extended periods of time if you upset them, not just trot around with a swirly head for a minute then act like you didn't just fuck them up with a net.

I would love to see Animal Crossing add a lot more bugs, fish etc to catch and identify. I'd even be happy to buy packs of new bugs/fish as DLC. It was my favorite part of New Leaf by a wide margin. :)

Parfait

They can. They Will.

HD Isabelle?!?!

2GNG2kk.gif

SpokkX

Why? Ac is not good on home console, especially one without sleepmodd

Ac should be a top priority for nintendo mobile business

Would love ac on ios. On wiiu, no thanks

It really depends what they do with it. Wii U increased hardware and Miiverse could make this the online AC game I know a lot of people have been wanting since Wild World.

I want the camera to zoom further out, which HD would allow. And having the shopping street integrated naturally into the town itself instead of a separate area. Larger towns with more verticality, more tools for landscaping, more dynamic weather.

Koren

What was wrong with New Leaf.
- lack of backup utility
- some mild online issues (random disconnections especially)
- lack of backup utility
- being able to send letters to other towns would have been welcome
- lack of backup utility
- lack of backup utility
- not enough custom patterns slots
- lack of backup utility
- after reading an explanation for the 387th time, it's getting a bit bothering
- lack of backup utility
- grass regrow is awfully slow when you play daily, even if you don't walk at all on the grass
- lack of backup utility
- i'd like to be able to put some restrictions on where new houses are installed (noooooo my blue roses plantations! ^_^)
- lack of backup utility
- lack of backup utility
- inventory handling isn't great: tools take a lot of space, harvesting an orchad is a nightmare, and I don't understand why I have to join coins each time I find a money rock!
- lack of backup utility
- I would have liked that you were allowed more than ~25 public works, even if I know they put this limit to avoid being unable to add houses (don't think about adding a couple lights in your town, for example, you'll run out of PWP quickly)
- lack of backup utility
- still not much storage
- lack of backup utility

Oh, and
- lack of backup utility

Not much, in fact, but there's plently little things that are midly bothering and could be better.

Macka

Improvements I'd like to see:

- Public Works Projects were still annoyingly fiddly to place where you wanted in New Leaf. "You can't place this fountain here because it's too close to a rock!" Ughh. I should be able to place things right freaking next to each other if I want to in the next game, there's no excuse. I'd also like the ability to rotate things. Annoys the crap out of me that I can't have a sideways bench.
- Villagers should have to ask to move out of your town - no more leaving without warning BS.
- Ability to build empty homes and suggest to villagers already living in your town to move in, so you aren't completely screwed if somebody cool moves in right in front of your front door, etc.

It's time to open up to a fully connected world with wilderness and cities between villages. Let us finally drive around in golf karts while chasing other residents. Add in a few minor adventuring elements for those who wish to go that route.

Improvements I'd like to see:

- Public Works Projects were still annoyingly fiddly to place where you wanted in New Leaf. "You can't place this fountain here because it's too close to a rock!" Ughh. I should be able to place things right freaking next to each other if I want to in the next game, there's no excuse. I'd also like the ability to rotate things. Annoys the crap out of me that I can't have a sideways bench.
- Villagers should have to ask to move out of your town - no more leaving without warning BS.
- Ability to build empty homes and suggest to villagers already living in your town to move in, so you aren't completely screwed if somebody cool moves in right in front of your front door, etc.

Villagers will ask for your opinion on moving, and you can tell them to stay. However, if you don't play for a while they'll just leave. Made me lose my favorite...

Dr. Buni

I hope they remove Isabelle from PWP-related stuff. That or they should make it easier to place PWPs where you want. I am this close to dislike her because of PWP bullshit. Also, please give the villagers more personality types and different dialogues. Eight personality types isn't enough for the massive number of villagers there is in the series. Lastly, free 3D camera controls would be welcomed. Oh and let me create a brown mayor. I am not exactly white and I don't want to play a white character in a simulator.

Koren

I should be able to place things right freaking next to each other if I want to in the next game, there's no excuse.
It's done so that there's no pathfinding issues for animals, I doubt that'll change.

Agree 200%

I think that, as a mayor, you should be able to place 'empty lot(s)' for houses when you have less than 10 villagers. But your solution is interesting, too.

It's time to open up to a fully connected world with wilderness and cities between villages. Let us finally drive around in golf karts while chasing other residents. Add in a few minor adventuring elements for those who wish to go that route.

Ooh! A wilderness or country-side outside of your town would be AWESOME! With rivers, and bugs and forests and caves!

Macka

Villagers will ask for your opinion on moving, and you can tell them to stay. However, if you don't play for a while they'll just leave. Made me lose my favorite...
It's easy to miss it though. When I only have 15-20 minutes per day to check on things I make sure to talk to everyone, but I'm still not guaranteed to hear if someone is moving. They have to ping you, and I've ran circles around villagers without them pinging me only to have it happen a few minutes later.

I want the next game to have it be a requirement for them to ask you before they move out. As in they can't leave unless you give the OK.

It's easy to miss it though. When I only have 15-20 minutes per day to check on things I make sure to talk to everyone, but I'm still not guaranteed to hear if someone is moving. They have to ping you, and I've ran circles around villagers without them pinging me only to have it happen a few minutes later.

I want the next game to have it be a requirement for them to ask you before they move out. As in they can't leave unless you give the OK.

Yeah, that would be best.

zigg

Look.

Animal Crossing is not a home console game.

Off-TV play will only make it marginally more acceptable.

it literally started out on consoles.
And it was later discovered that it was actually a handheld game—just ahead of its time wrt what handhelds could do.

I like console Animal Crossing just because you can have multiple inhabitants per game, and different people in the household can all play on the same game, so the town can really feel like a communal town. This is if multiple people in your house play on the same console, though, which probably isn't many people. But there's something really appealing about that.

This is why I love console Animal Crossing so much. I'm going to be living with some friends later this year so a Wii U AC would be really awesome to have.

Look.

And it was later discovered that it was actually a handheld game—just ahead of its time wrt what handhelds could do.
Nah. GCN AC still the best. Bring able to visit your friend's house, leave them messages, playing NES games. It was just a perfect realization of the community experience.

Nah. GCN AC still the best. Bring able to visit your friend's house, leave them messages, playing NES games. It was just a perfect realization of the community experience.
Yeah! I can't go back to it because of all the improvements they've made since, but it's still my favorite.

hwy_61

Banned
All I ask from the fine folks at Nintendo is PLEASE for the love of god take out the repeat lines from NPCs. I don't want to hear the same goddamn two lines of dialogue every single time I walk into a shop, or museum, ect. Please.

3rd person ground camrra would be a good update to have, for starters.
Also more variety on towns (not only station north, beach south), maybe even letting you place everything and terraforming so you can place it anywhere (and neighbours need your permission to build their houses when they move in where you want), or a building house mode sims style.

This mentality has been sipping to handheld games on Nintendo for a while now.

"Pokemon should be handheld only" and what not.

It's not at it irks me, but all games can work both ways. There's no reason for them to be exclusive to one system.
I played my handheld games at home, so having AC (Where it originated) can work for me, even more so when you combine the online capabilities.

Your are right on this, and much less of an excuse of portable only is pokemon, that would be an aamzing beast RPG with more sense of adventure on a home console
and with better programmers
But there is someone crying its only a handheld game and cant be conceived as something bigger.
Those can keep their repetitive protable itinerations if gamefreak decide to do a home console version for once.

Shauni

Regardless of what anyone thinks, Animal Crossing has become one of Nintnedo's biggest selling IPs. Even City Folk, which had a lukewarm reception due to its lazy nature, sold over 3 million copies on the Wii. I really don't see how people don't see that it's a given that we'll get some kind of Animal Crossing game on their console.

Tiktaalik

I completely stopped playing New Leaf the moment my favourite villager left, so I'd say that feature is a pretty bad feature.

Tiktaalik

I'm deeply skeptical about another console Animal Crossing mostly because of how great the street pass features were. If they can come up with some online feature that's as compelling as that great, but it seems like it'd be tough.

I'm deeply skeptical about another console Animal Crossing mostly because of how great the street pass features were. If they can come up with some online feature that's as compelling as that great, but it seems like it'd be tough.
I think something along the lines of online communities would do the trick. Miiverse? Tingle bottles?

I completely stopped playing New Leaf the moment my favourite villager left, so I'd say that feature is a pretty bad feature.
Why didn't you stop them?

Tiktaalik

I think something along the lines of online communities would do the trick. Miiverse? Tingle bottles?

Street Pass was great because it was passive so some other passive feature would be good.

Exchanging friend codes in order to visit someone's town is simply too much work. I know there's a big community of people that make excel sheets of friend codes and organize, but I've never been able to get into that sort of thing. There's just too much friction.

A good console Animal Crossing would have to be much more flexible online, a bit more MMOish in a sense, with few barriers, where it's super easy to discover towns, and incredibly quick to pop in and out of people's towns and discover things. With the Wii U's current online infrastructure I don't know how possible that is.

Alternatively you take the series in a totally different direction and make a more SimCity Animal Crossing that spends a lot more effort on town building type features. I'd be totally in favour of this direction.

Street Pass was great because it was passive so some other passive feature would be good.

Exchanging friend codes in order to visit someone's town is simply too much work. I know there's a big community of people that make excel sheets of friend codes and organize, but I've never been able to get into that sort of thing. There's just too much friction.

A good console Animal Crossing would have to be much more flexible online, a bit more MMOish in a sense, with few barriers, where it's super easy to discover towns, and incredibly quick to pop in and out of people's towns and discover things. With the Wii U's current online infrastructure I don't know how possible that is.

Alternatively you take the series in a totally different direction and make a more SimCity Animal Crossing that spends a lot more effort on town building type features. I'd be totally in favour of this direction.
I was thinking features both like the communities in Mario Kart (just need a password for the group, not individual players) to eliminate the friend code issue, along with something similar to the Tingle Bottles and selfies in WWHD (a camera mode would be great actually if they change the perspective, selfies with emoticons!) to give you passive interaction. A community area like Splatoon's hub would be ace as well.

I love your MMO idea too of course, but I could see Nintendo being resistant in case a kid goes to a town with patterned dicks everywhere with villagers that just say "you fucker" all the time lol.

Love your username btw 😁

AdanVC

I'm all ready for a new animal crossing but I just hope they add more activities and stuff to do on my town because pulling weeds and watering flowers and stuff got boring rather quickly on New Leaf and that's the reason why I stopped caring about my town and naver played it again.

ozfunghi

Console AC > portable AC

The fact that you can't check it all the time where ever you go, makes it a lot more exciting to me. Coming home, finding out what changed since yesterday... And besides, the game will look glorious on Wii U.

Lucent

Look.

Look.

Animal crossing is good both ways.

~fin~

Lol but like someone said earlier, it's easier to get comfy playing on console than handheld. Don't want to have to look down the whole time or hold it up in front of me.

I think Splatoon shows a great way of how passive characters can appear. They have random players appear in your plaza area and you can (eventually) buy their clothes and see their weapons, etc. It's kind of neat. They could do that with other players, and also villagers from your friend's appearing in plazas or other areas. Or even just shopping. Some of them mention visiting other places in ACNL, but we never really see a villager's life outside of walking around and falling into pitfalls.

It'd be interesting to see other human characters in Animal Crossing. I mean, there's usually you and that's it. There's no other humans, except when your friends visit who also happen to be humans.

Personally speaking, I'd like to see something made for the Wii U, but with some sort of extra application on the 3DS. Where you can see who might be thinking about moving, chat with your villagers, manage stuff all on the go, but then when you sit down at home to play it on the console, you can do much more stuff. Utilizing Happy Home Designer would be easy story wise. Instead of a mayor, you become a stylish designer and as you continue basically granting people's dreams, more villagers would be attracted to your town and want to live there. You'd have a lot more control over what the villagers put in their homes so they don't ruin their motif with some garbage interior, and then ideally they'd make it so villagers would notify you more about wanting to move. Perhaps once you sort of reach maximum friendship with a villager, they also wont want to move at all.

Koren

If a villager leaves you cant get them back?
Difficult question...

They'll sometimes visit the shopping street, but they won't come back.

That being said, you can technically get the same animal back. But:
- you'll need to be REALLY lucky with the RNG or find someone that can welcome the animal and give it back to you
- you have to flush the "latests villagers list", since you can't welcome an animal that was recently in your town, be it RNG arrival or from another game (they'll decline)

So you won't get the same villager (he won't remember old letters for example) and while you can get the same animal back, it's not an easy task.

I can understand them leaving if you don't visit for, say... a month. But if you visit the game, I think they shouldn't be allowed to leave before asking you. It's definitively possible to miss a ping, even when playing daily (I was once pinged on the last day before departure although I was playing >15min daily, and noone talked about the departure either)

I'm glad that, at least, when you save after refusing a departure, the game "locks" the villagers even if you don't play for some time, apparently (I can't confirm it myself for sure, but I've read several confirmations on this trick). That's a start...

Look.

You're exaggerating. GC Animal Crossing was fantastic. Besides the fact that it's portable, there is no reason it being a handheld game makes it any better. And that's really down to preference more then anything.

A quick reminder.

"The current gameplay style of Animal Crossing is best suited for a portable device," Eguchi said, "but if we were to create an Animal Crossing for a home console, I think we would really have to invent a new style that's suitable for the platform. The environment in which the player is playing the game is very important, so we need to think that through before we start creating something like that.

"We might not have been able to do that for Wii," he said, "but whether it's the Wii U or a future hardware, it's important to think about what environment the player will be in."
http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/28/5555682/animal-crossing-interview-new-console-version-smartphones

TheJoRu

I know this is more of a "when it happens, what will it be like?"-thread now, but I don't actually think they will announce a new Animal Crossing-game at E3, nor am I even sure they'll even make one for Wii U. With both Splatoon and Happy Home Designer being EAD 2-projects, is it even realistic to suggest they've allocated resources for three simultaneous projects (I obviously have no idea)?

Top Bottom