• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo admits Animal Crossing gender changes due to wokeness , and talks other changes

McRazzle

Nintendo explains philosophy behind Animal Crossing’s big changes, such as gender expression and terraforming

The Washington Post spoke to the game’s director, Aya Kyogoku, and producer, Hisashi Nogami, to better understand the motivations behind these significant changes. Along the way, the conversation also touched on their thoughts about eliminating gender restrictions for character customization and how their team in Japan is bracing for possible coronavirus-related hurdles in post-launch development.

New Horizons’s deserted island concept can be traced back to right after the Japanese release of Animal Crossing: New Leaf in 2012. Early development began shortly after, even before the team hunkered down to produce New Leaf Welcome Amiibo, the upgraded version from 2016. Kyogoku said the development cycle for New Horizons kick-started before the team even began “thinking or knowing about Nintendo Switch hardware.”

Adding crafting was also a way to keep players from running out of things to do during off hours when shops close, an issue in previous Animal Crossing games.
“Because the Animal Crossing series is tied to the real-time clock, there are users who want to play late at night or who want to play early in the morning,” Kyogoku said. “By giving those users an option to craft, we thought this would be a new way for them to play and to acquire [craftable] items.”

Terraforming was also a way to address unanticipated player behavior from past games. Kyogoku said that, looking at earlier entries in the series, users would repeatedly reset and start over to choose the town layout they wanted. In New Horizons, your island is completely malleable, even after that decision, bringing more flexibility to the gameplay.
“Some may have thought that, ‘Oh, this would have been a perfect layout if there was a river here or if the river wasn’t there,’ ” Kyogoku said. “Well, for users like that, we were able to give them what they weren’t able to achieve before.”

New Horizons’s flexible nature extends to character customization, too. Clothing items and hairstyles aren’t restricted by gender, giving players more options on how to represent themselves in the game. This level of fine-tuning your character is “not just about gender,” Kyogoku said, but relates to the team’s overall feeling that “society is shifting to valuing a lot of people’s different identities.”
“We basically wanted to create a game where users didn’t really have to think about gender or if they wanted to think about gender, they’re also able to,” she said.

In another shift, the developers sought to make time traveling (the controversial act of jumping into the past or future by tweaking the system clock, which some fans think is the wrong way to play) less impactful in terms of in-game features. Time traveling has been used as a shortcut in previous Animal Crossing games, so you don’t have to wait overnight to see progress.

As Animal Crossing is a game that can be played for a number of years, its designers are keeping the long term in mind. Kyogoku and Nogami’s plan for New Horizons includes seasonal events slated to appear in the game via DLC. Players won’t be able to simply fast-forward through time to experience them.
“Adding all the seasonal events by updates wasn’t our way to shun away time travel by any means,” Kyogoku said. “But Animal Crossing is a game that users are able to play and enjoy throughout the year.”

Kyogoku and Nogami, who both work out of Nintendo’s office in Japan, are paying close attention to the global pandemic’s potential impact on post-launch content. Development for these updates “is still going,” Kyogoku said, but the team may need to adjust internally moving forward should the coronavirus crisis worsen.
“We’re not sure if we have to shift anything, but I think we have to be flexible,” she said.
At this time, the Japanese development team is working in the office every day, but the team’s hours have changed so employees can avoid rush-hour train traffic.
“In terms of the development team, I do have to think about their health and well-being as well,” Nogami said.

Full story at link:

CAB_Life

The pedos are surely jubilant now that they have another tool for grooming that’s almost specifically targeted to children and endorsed by a major company.

The erosion of society happens in degrees; incremental pushes outside our comfort and moral zones until we eventually find ourselves in wholly alien territory.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This level of fine-tuning your character is “not just about gender,” Kyogoku said, but relates to the team’s overall feeling that “society is shifting to valuing a lot of people’s different identities.”

“We basically wanted to create a game where users didn’t really have to think about gender or if they wanted to think about gender, they’re also able to,” she said.

Basically, she’s saying they want the money of normal people, and the clinically insane on Reset and Twitter, by giving both what they want.

Unfortunate to see this idiocy continue to be legitimized on a mainstream stage, especially from Nintendo, but not a strange position for a corp. to take.

It should still be pushed back on.

Renozokii

What is the end game? A doctor yelling "It's... something!" at birth?

There is no end game. As with most movements, the equality movement isn't growing near as fast as it was, and is pretty much normalizing at a point where there are simply options given for a tiny portion of people. Not sure what there is to be upset about. I work around people all day, every day. Manage a decently sized team of people. In seeing 200-300 people a day every day, I've seen maybe 3 or 4 trans people. They were nice and didn't really say or act out of the ordinary. A change like this gives them a tiny bit of representation and makes them slightly happy. Maybe you guys need a break from the internet and a chance to interact with normal people for a while?

Last edited:
So in the end, nothing really changed and you were unaffected entirely? Damn, sounds like a non issue then.

They removed assigned genders from the Western releases apparently, replaced by "styles", because Nintendo wants to be seen as "inclusive" as possible. lol

All to please the (in my opinion very toxic) LGBTQ crowd. I don't have a problem with individuals who fall under that category, but there are people, like trans activists whom I consider a problem.

Why severely different people want to be lumped together under one banner is a mystery to me. And I have heard many gays and lesbians saying that they don't want to be associated with the LGBTQ-thing because of infighting and authoritarian behavior in its circle. Most of the activists aren't even L, or G, or B, or T, or Q themselves; but want to be seen as "promotors of justice", and it is now very much a transgender thing only.

In England there is now the LGB Alliance, for the rights of lesbians, gays and bisexual people who are fed up with transactivism.

Last edited:

McRazzle

Basically, she’s saying they want the money of normal people, and the clinically insane on Reset and Twitter, by giving both what they want.

Unfortunate to see this idiocy continue to be legitimized on a mainstream stage, especially from Nintendo, but not a strange position for a corp. to take.

It should still be pushed back on.
Yamauchi must be spinning in his grave.
Imagine how he would react to people having the option of being able to change the color of their hair to brown.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The only thing they've done really is not label your character male or female.

Everything else is still binary. Hair styles are clearly both male and female. You even have little icons of a male + female face. It's obviously meant to be M+F but they just don't say it anywhere.

The only way your character can be 1 of 12,837,392 genders is if you use your imagination and come up with a story for them lol.

I'd be pissed if they let you choose from a (long) list or let you pick pronouns.

Shame on Nintendo for pandering to these people.

Last edited:

Fbh

To be honest these games seem to be all about making your town and your house and your character and customizing things to your liking so most of these changes make sense. If someone wants to play as some dude wearing a dress then go ahead, not like it's making your experience worse if you don't care about that shit.

If there's anything worth getting upset about in this game is the shitty anti consumer restrictions it puts on multiple people wanting to play the game on a single switch

wolywood

Man some of you guys just look for things to be offended by. Who really fucking cares if a made up video game world asks you to choose a "style" or whatever. Nintendo isn't brainwashing you into becoming a pedophile or whatever insane qanon fear base bullshit conspiracy nonsense keeps popping up in these threads. Just play the games, or don't. Christ almighty.

oagboghi2

There is no end game. As with most movements, the equality movement isn't growing near as fast as it was, and is pretty much normalizing at a point where there are simply options given for a tiny portion of people. Not sure what there is to be upset about. I work around people all day, every day. Manage a decently sized team of people. In seeing 200-300 people a day every day, I've seen maybe 3 or 4 trans people. They were nice and didn't really say or act out of the ordinary. A change like this gives them a tiny bit of representation and makes them slightly happy. Maybe you guys need a break from the internet and a chance to interact with normal people for a while?
You meet 3 people and they were nice, therefore trans activists are beyond criticism 😂

Barnabot

washingtonpost, videogames, animal crossing, gender changes, wokeness

DA1AS9d.png

can i be just tom nook and own everyone's asses instead. i promise to treat everyone equally.

GreenAlien

Man some of you guys just look for things to be offended by. Who really fucking cares if a made up video game world asks you to choose a "style" or whatever.
Obviously, the people demanding these changes, care (or at least pretend to).
Who really fucking cares if a made up video game world asks you to choose a "style" or whatever.
Exactly. That's what the people here are complaining about..

You are swapping cause and effect.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
You meet 3 people and they were nice, therefore trans activists are beyond criticism 😂

To tht end I am a Director at a non for profit org in Manhattan and am very neutral or at least try to be. You can imagine working at a not for profit in Manhattan alot of my staff is comprised of LGBT advocates, a few queer etc and in my experience not all but sone act entitled and overly sensitive to alot of shit and sometimes it detracts from our work, which is the part I hate. I've noticed not a push for acceptance but more like a zealot push to be assimilated. Again I'm not speaking for all just some things I've seen or felt.

Cultural Marxism
Ideological subversion

I'd be very careful spouting these words as they have very anti-semitic origins. It is at root a far-right conspiracy theory that has no bearing on reality. Especially if you go and actually read the works considered written by so-called "cultural marxists". These people, these "cultural marxists", were if anything against propaganda and extremely critical of modern media.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I was on the fence getting this game to begin with but after learning this BS Nintendo can go screw

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
The more you try to please mass amounts of people, and the more you try to not offend mass amounts of people and try to build your product around what will appeal to the most people as possible the more generic, sterile and individual your product becomes and because it has no individually to it then no one can relate to it.

This is Nintendo failing. That's why everything they do is safe and friendly and generic. It's why they only just keep doing the same old thing over and over and over again. They take no chances and try to make cookie cutter products.

Nintendo has become a shit company since they launched the Wii and found massive success in mediocrity.

Saber

Gold Member
If they don't want people to not think about "gender" then just create a single character with no expression, no face and no body types. Fucking idiots, this sounds woke as fuck.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Not really he's your typical bishounen AKA pretty boy protagonist that's all the rage in Asia for the past 15 years.

This is how he looked originally:
9dcd159fa8d996150ac16401c396248c154c1bfb_hq.jpg

Lol tht Pic is OK but in games he looks very fruity and mostly is not represented like that as of late.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Cultural Marxism
Ideological subversion

I always suspected all of this was the result of intelectual sabotage performed by soviet agents decades ago. You brainwash a few selected individuals, some end writing some stupid books, then the rest of the brainwashed individuals take it as gospel and continue to spread the nonsense from teaching and power positions. This pretty much proves it for me. Chinese agents are doing the same thing nowadays in the western world, defectors have already spoken and you start to see some very aggresive individuals online when you critizice that regime. For example, some idiot told me on Reddit that Tianang Men slaughter was reivindicated by China´s actual economic success, and even on this forum I´ve been insulted on a couple of occasions, last time for pointing out that China´s wet markets are the origin of the corona virus :messenger_astonished:

Ps.- Remember that people are easier to control when they are put in groups, like sheep, the bottom line of identity politics IMO.

Last edited:
I'd be very careful spouting these words as they have very anti-semitic origins.

You yourself could start off by avoiding basic logical fallacies, notably the Genetic fallacy. This request, of course, is only pertinent if you're genuinely interested in truth.

In its contemporary and coloquial use, cultural Marxism can be loosely defined as various attempts by left-wing movements to apply or transfer Marxist concepts of historical and dialectical materialism, in particular the notion of economic exploitation and class struggle, to cultural phenomena. It has nothing to do with anti-Semitism, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with its proponents and detractors.

It is at root a far-right conspiracy theory that has no bearing on reality.

Arguments are not wrong by virtue of who adopts or promotes them. An argument is not automatically false because the far-right, or the far-left or anyone in between chooses to endorse it.

As defined above, Cultural Marxism exists and is in fact prevalent in contemporary social sciences and Academia. Intersectional feminism, or third-wave feminism, as it is sometimes referred to, for example, can be labelled as a branch of Cultural Marxism.

One way in which the term might be viewed as imprecise, though, is that while Marxism did attempt to tackle objective reality, a significant portion of today's Cultural Marxists behave as though objective reality does not exist.

Especially if you go and actually read the works considered written by so-called "cultural marxists". These people, these "cultural marxists", were if anything against propaganda and extremely critical of modern media.

The term propaganda is so vague and generic it has become synonymous with "ideas one happens to disagree with". The rest of your comment is irrelevant.

Saber

Gold Member
Man some of you guys just look for things to be offended by. Who really fucking cares if a made up video game world asks you to choose a "style" or whatever.

If "no one fucking cares" if a game asks you your gender, then why they changed? Why change something that doesn't matter to the players? Does gender influences the clothes, or the make ups your wear?

Seriously, you guys are a funny bunch really.

Lol tht Pic is OK but in games he looks very fruity and mostly is not represented like that as of late.
Like I said each era's designs refelects what's popular.

Here's an example from the recentally released Langrisser I&II remake.
This is the classic 1993 design of the MC:
qDQ6E1yl.png

And here's how he looks in the 2020 remake:
U9dBka1l.png

Top Bottom