• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo admits Animal Crossing gender changes due to wokeness , and talks other changes

CAB_Life

This doesn't answer my original question. I'll ask it again:
And what evidence do you have that these oh so powerful TikTok & Tumblr users are swaying opinions to the point where Nintendo did this?
Bringing up controversies from 30 years ago doesn't do much to backup your case and is irrelevant to Nintendo doing anything or any LGBT people today nor do individual people acting like idiots. I could just as easily point out that Republicans sure do love to block laws that would stop grown men from legally fucking underage girls. Then pin it on a "straight agenda".
You're doing a motte & bailey, and even your motte is weak.

Maybe they're just less collectivist than you? I'm also wondering if you consider every heterosexual sexual assault a mark against all straight people and the "downfall of the right"?

Oh the "I was a lefty"' meme. Nah, I don't buy it, not from someone spouting such blatant anti LGBT propaganda (literally bringing up the old conservative christian "homosexual agenda" crap), calls them pedos and obviously hates trans people. Not to mention "the left" boogeyman.

Honestly though, I'm not really interested in defending LGBT people in a thread about a fucking Animal Crossing game against someone who probably thinks the chemicals in the water are turnin' the friggin frogs gay.

From Buzzfeed, no less, who are clearly Leftist.

There’s a number of presumptions and misconceptions in what you’ve said, so I’ll do my best to clear them up, but I’m not wasting hours of my time on an internet argument so have whatever say you need after and we’ll leave it at that.

I do not hate trans people. I do not have an irrational fear of trans people (transphobia).

What’s most important, however, is that I do not think that the T exclusively speak for the LGBT movement, and this is where you come off as tribalist in your thinking—just because one critiques something does not imply an attack, fear or hatred of said thing. You should probably pay attention to the division that’s occurring in the LBGT community at the moment, with noteable figureheads like Arielle Scarcella, who was one of the first LGBT YouTubers ever, now speaking out about the coercion, manipulation and exploitation of lesbian women that she’s watched occur over the last decade. The near complete erasure of women‘s only spaces. Blair White is another LGBT woman who uses her platform to shed light on the predators on TikTok and other corners of the web. I don’t agree with her politics, since they lean too far right. Kat Blaque also has some great commentary that definitely leans farther Left. In Britain there’s a large and growing movement to even ”drop” the T, since the basic ideologies of the two camps are diametrically opposed. Lesbian, gay and bisexual (either/ or not neither/ X gender) people believe in binary states and sex after all—it is the very foundation of their attraction and romance.

Pedos and trans people are indeed mutually exclusive, though there is crossover in fetish culture (read: not genuinely dysphoric individuals, but fetishists) and hunting grounds and that’s been illustrated above.

As for my personal history and investment in culture issues, and since you seem to be so set on making ad hominem attacks, here you go: I’m a gay biracial man married to a Métis amputee. I likely have more ‘diversity’ checkmarks and have experienced more discrimination in my lifetime than you, or many others who deem themselves fit to assume a person’s life or experience without engaging them in questioning or conversation. I suppose you can hand wave it all away to ‘cis male privilege’. And that is a common tactic used to silence dissenting among people who should be saying what people expect them to say based on tribalist brainwashing.

Not all LGBT people act, think or behave the same, and indeed expecting them to is reductive and biased in and of itself. Not all people who oppose hyper-sexualization or the current cultural indoctrination are Christian, religious nutters, or even heterosexual. I’m also not sure what LGBT people you think you’re defending or who need defending, since the only people I mentioned in a negative connotation were: Jessie Smollett (scam artist), Jessica Yaniv (actual child predator), trans rapists and pedophiles—the first three on the list, which you conveniently left out of your cherry-picked response. It does no good to see only the good, because then you’re blind to the bad. Not the most eloquent turn of phrase, but it’s true, nonetheless.

Anyhoo, I agree that this is all a little much to go into over a video game. But it’s the principle that irked me, and the impetus behind it.

Last edited:
Will do. I hear Mein Kampf is a good one.

It is if you want to study psychopathy, and what totalitarian minds think, sure. There are also parts in that book that share many similarities with the Cultural Marxist theory. Not really a surprise I guess???

Take easy on the insults dude. Is not healthy.

The best part is he edited his post twice. The first time to add shit for brains and other colourful language and the second time to go on about fake gamer cred and me whining all the time?

Buddy might be unhinged. I hope he knows pharmacies are still open right now and he can go get his meds if he is running low.

digital haze

Neo Member
What's gender got to do with it anyway. They're describing behaviour and personality traits, which last time I looked weren't linked to gender. There's no need to invent genders to describe these concepts.

I'm kind of surprised they're still working on seasonal DLC considering how long the game was delayed.

It is incredibly sad that you will never in your life understand the irony of saying ”open a book and research“ when you just made clear that you get your sociopolitical opinions fed to you by youtube videos made by people that do not even attempt to hide their heavy bias.

Uh, I read their works many years before these videos were even made. More than a decade before this silly modern Red Scare. But, the creators of those videos have done a fantastic job, especially the first/top one. All the research necessary for debunking this ridiculous anti-semitic theory gone mainstream is there. And they also warn what can happen if people take it seriously (see Anders Breivik).

The illiteracy of people on the internet really shows in this culture of sound bites. Nobody reads anymore, nobody is willing to do proper and objective research. And blaming these video creators for being biased is pretty ironic; they debunk this theory on grounds of its origins - which in itself is based on prejudices that resulted in mass extermination of people. But oh...it is free speech of course. My bad! You cannot pretend that it (the idea of Cultural Marxism) is something completely separate from what happened in Charlottesville, because white supremacists believe in it as well, to a level of obsessiveness in fact.

Y57elMn.jpg

Just like these Illuminati conspiracies still polluting many people's minds, this phenomenon is attractive because it sounds very exotic and exciting. I mean, it is far more exiting to "fight" an enemy that is invisible than actually pointing fingers at structures that are openly visible for everyone to see.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
Uh, I read their works many years before these videos were even made. More than a decade before this silly modern Red Scare. But, the creators of those videos have done a fantastic job, especially the first/top one. All the research necessary for debunking this ridiculous anti-semitic theory gone mainstream is there. And they also warn what can happen if people take it seriously (see Anders Breivik).

The illiteracy of people on the internet really shows in this culture of sound bites. Nobody reads anymore, nobody is willing to do proper and objective research. And blaming these video creators for being biased is pretty ironic; they debunk this theory on grounds of its origins - which in itself is based on prejudices that resulted in mass extermination of people. But oh...it is free speech of course. My bad.

Just like these Illuminati conspiracies still polluting many people's minds, this phenomenon is attractive because it sounds very exotic and exciting. I mean, it is far more exiting to "fight" an enemy that is invisible than actually pointing fingers at structures that are openly visible for everyone to see.

You realize that the term “cultural marxism” and “ideological subversion” can be used outside of the people and contexts you describe, yes?
And that the literal meaning of those terms do not inherently imply any conspiracy at all?

You just went off on a self-indulgent tangent about something no one was talking about because you wanted to feel self-righteous and signal how “virtuous” you are. You stood on a soapbox and went on a tirade that was about nothing of relevance. That’s one of the reasons people are making fun of you.

Another reason people are making fun of you is you’re guilty of an all-too-common leftist behavior. You have taken phrases that describes behaviors and ideologies that are common on the left, used whatever excuse you could to tie the phrase itself to nazis, and then proclaim that nazism is inherent to the phrase.

It happens all the time, leftists trying to claim that phrases and memes that the right uses (often to make fun of the left) inherently invoke extremist bigotry, and therefore the only possible context of the phrase/meme/whatever is said bigotry.

Same thing with Pepe the frog, the okay (👌) handsign, Milk, and many more.

Those phrases aren’t anti-semitic. Your attempts to make them anti-semitic make the phrase “anti-semitism” become meaningless. You are your own worst enemy.

Last edited:

So your tactic is step 1: completely disregard the sense in which the term Cultural Marxism is being used colloquially and contemporarily, step 2: pretend people on a gaming forum are holding on to and endorsing its alleged original anti-Semitic meaning, step 3: smear those who do use the term with all the self-righteousness you can muster?

It never seems to enter your mind language evolves, context matters and words and expressions can and do have multiple meanings.

And you think you're the erudite here?

On the other hand, building a case for Intersectionality - which is what is meant in most cases by Cultural Marxism - for Intersectionality being fundamentally at odds with Western values, in frontal and irrevocable opposition to Enlightenment values is not particularly hard to do. The claim capitalism is anti-enlightenment is spurious and in fact the exact opposite of what history proves conclusively, but I'll set that aside for now. Karl Popper took care of Marxism's pretensions of scientificity back in 20th century.

The illiteracy of people on the internet really shows in this culture of sound bites. Nobody reads anymore, nobody is willing to do proper and objective research.

To the authoritarian, there is no room for genuine political disagreement. Once the facts - his carefully curated selection of facts, that is, - once the facts are inspected, everybody will eventually agree with him. And yet there is academic debate, go figure, amongst people who do study and do know history, but, by sheer pettiness, no doubt, cannot seem to be able to reach a consensus. Same facts, different conclusions.

And you think you're the scholar here?

And blaming these video creators for being biased is pretty ironic; they debunk this theory on grounds of its origins - which in itself is based on prejudices that resulted in mass extermination of people. But oh...it is free speech of course. My bad

This remark may provide a glimpse as to what people roughly with your political persuasion might do if they ever got hold of real power. Somehow, I keep forgetting you see yourself as the torchbearer for the Enlightenment. Yet I keep seeing you putting that torch to other uses.

This does further illuminate your confusion.

Third-wave feminism, which is what is meant by Cultural Marxism, is out in the open. It's on Twitter, on YouTube, on campuses across the country, on academic journals, on entire academic departments, increasingly on the mouths and programs of mainstream politicians, presidential candidates even, it is being poured into law.

It's not a conspiracy.

It's a deliberate, highly-motivated political movement set to redefine the foundations of western liberal capitalist meritocratic democracies and replace them with something different. You can be apathetic to, oppose or support their efforts. But there's absolutely nothing Kabbalistic about it. It's as conspicuous as dandruff on a Tuxedo.

And you think you're the prophet here?

Last edited:
I've shared my critique of Nintendo's move, and here I am having to deal with people who are so convinced of a certain idea, actually having to prove my point over and over again telling you it ain't so because I actually read works of the Frankfurt School, not stuff about them. I've left resources, and made my points. I'm done with it guys. If you want to believe in cultural decay, sparked by an evil Marx or Marcuse, go ahead.

Whitesnake

Banned
I've shared my critique of Nintendo's move, and here I am having to deal with people who are so convinced of a certain idea, actually having to prove my point over and over again telling you it ain't so because I actually read works of the Frankfurt School, not stuff about them. I've left resources, and made my points. I'm done with it guys. If you want to believe in cultural decay, sparked by an evil Marx or Marcuse, go ahead.

You were so fervent in urging others to read entire bodies of work, yet you were unable to read a couple forum posts? 🤔🤔🤔

Silvawuff

New Horizons’s flexible nature extends to character customization, too. Clothing items and hairstyles aren’t restricted by gender, giving players more options on how to represent themselves in the game. This level of fine-tuning your character is “not just about gender,” Kyogoku said, but relates to the team’s overall feeling that “society is shifting to valuing a lot of people’s different identities.”
“We basically wanted to create a game where users didn’t really have to think about gender or if they wanted to think about gender, they’re also able to,” she said.

I think the thread title is a bit inflammatory compared to the actual content of the post. They're literally saying "We're doing this for the people who care about it, and those who don't won't be affected by it" This is honestly one of the best executions of "wokeness" to hope for. There's no pandering here, just a "we made this small change of representation, take it, leave it, or use it however you want."

I remember when New Leaf launched there was a similar debate about character skin tones, never mind gender.

Domisto

Seriously, this thread is fucking mental. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Animal Crossing creates its most fully customisable character creation ever.

But because they left out the words for gender in the US version people are talking about Marxism, Pedophilia, Mein Kampf, LGBT+, and the great woke threat.

You sure you're not all gaming 'journalists'?

MagnesG

Banned
Not really, most (all?) of the others just ask you to choose too without a gender in the question, but they also have different words for villager by gender, where in English you don't get that. Like a villager/villagress kind of thing.
All asian versions (China, Korea, Japan) of the game have the classic direct meaning of "boy and girl", with no association to "villager".

Though the way I see it, this is just one of their minimal attempt to appease some of the irrational crowds from going insane, totally make sense from a business standpoint.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I have been playing the game for days and haven’t noticed any of this stuff. I did find a dress on the island, but I sold it for money. I don’t think any of this is a big deal.

Cultural Marxism
Ideological subversion

This cultural, wealth, and demographic split was planned all along. You think the government did not know this?
They should have worked towards the betterment of life (feeling of joy and happiness) and cultivating mutual respect and dignity between all citizens instead of playing identity politics. But no, they have to play 'us vs them' sports game of democracy instead of towards the common good of all citizens.

I currently fear both global and local chaos within the United States. I just hope they begin to harmonize this divide instead of adding oil into the flames, which is what is happening now. In Asian culture, most do not give a fuck about this non-binary shit... people are not so serious about identity politics (though patriotism and nationalism still exists). Once you get too serious, it turns into violence like during the Cultural Revolution and the HK protests (some of their arguments are valid, but in the end it turned into xenophobic violence against Mainlanders... the local gossip media in HK is chaotic in general). This is a problem of the human species' tribalistic tendencies, and all the fake news and for the luls gibberish does not help harmonize the current situation.

What I am seeing now are religious extremists that are anti-LGBT growing their base.
I see this extremism in Islam ('terrorists'), Christianity (Fundamentalists), and Asian new age mysticism (Falun Gong) as being part of this trend. We are in some crazy timeline.

EDIT: And what is happening with Russia now is that they are painting themselves as the balanced manly White dudes now who aren't crazy. ;)

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo of America anyway. Nintendo of Japan is A-OK with treating its players like grown adults who can make their own decisions concerning the content they want to see in games.
Nitendo doesn't care what NoA does so I'm not wrong.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Between this and Jill Valentine it sadly appears Japanese games are slowly becoming woke, possibly due to U.S. pressure a bit.

Japanese games were the last great escape from that BS but it looks like that's coming to an end.

PhoenixTank

So yeah, if people are "offended" over this, it's because all of the attention whores alphabet people who keep bringing this stuff up and trying to indoctrinate it into everyday life. Despite what you have been telling yourself, the world isn't overrun by hateful bigots. Most of us do not care what your orientation is. We are starting to take an issue with your insistence to push this on everybody and every medium. Go live your life in peace and don't go around telling people how to live theirs.

The complete lack of self-awareness to why you are experiencing pushback is baffling. "WHY DO YOU ALL CARE SO MUCH REEEEE". Why have you cared so much over the past 5 years to shout and throw a fit about representation and other garbage? Clearly the alphabet people care so much about this issue, so we're here to call you out on it and tell you kindly to fuck off.
So whatever this thread is... I wanted to add this is the first time I've heard of "alphabet people" as a term. With context I could guess but I still immediately pictured some sort of low budget educational kid's TV show with people dressed up as letters. Off to google images I go - surely it must exist.
I found this instead. I will forever blame you for this.
tILvQEC.png

lol no it was not. 100% of the time you could feel the whole thing was a joke and Link was super embarrassed just trying to play along with it. It was like Cloud dressing as a woman in FFVII.

FF7 came long before the woke era, otherwise I would have called that woke as well. Gender swap and transvesites is woke as fuck and we don't need them in video games, they already ruined Hollywood and comics. It all started out as a joke as well.

Renozokii

You meet 3 people and they were nice, therefore trans activists are beyond criticism 😂

I mean if you have garbage reading comprehension that's fine. My point was more that the "trans activists" are a tiny, tiny minority of an already tiny group of people. Painting all trans people as evil or scum because you put yourself in situations where you see only the most vocal, and ignorant members of that group is people is stupid as fuck. The change in THIS particular game is tiny and entirely inconsequential. All the people sitting in here feigning outrage over a change that has 0 effect on the game are morons. I would also put MONEY that the vast majority of the kids making trans people out to be some group of boogy men have either never met a trans person in a normal setting in real life, or did and didn't even know.

LordKasual

Banned
The game asks if you want to be a male or female at the start when you make a character. Its obvious....it just doesn't put a name on it.

nothing else is different

what the hell are you children crying about???

you people who shed TEARS about E V E R Y T H I N G are just as bad/way worse than the people who you claim are ruining everything.

they refer to "gender" as something else in an almost barely noticeable fashion and you guys lose your goddamn minds lol.....like seriously

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Whats the point of making gender explicit in the game if it doesn't effect gameplay options.

And whats the point of making exclusive gameplay options based upon gender.

It's animal crossing for godssake. Romancing and fucking other things is not part of the game.

But proceed to die on another hill that less than 1% of the US population would give a shit about. You guys are truly on the front lines fighting the good fight in the Great SJW Wars.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
To tht end I am a Director at a non for profit org in Manhattan and am very neutral or at least try to be. You can imagine working at a not for profit in Manhattan alot of my staff is comprised of LGBT advocates, a few queer etc and in my experience not all but sone act entitled and overly sensitive to alot of shit and sometimes it detracts from our work, which is the part I hate. I've noticed not a push for acceptance but more like a zealot push to be assimilated. Again I'm not speaking for all just some things I've seen or felt.
On the flip side though, you have people who are just as zealous and abrasive with binary genders as well

I think if people understood risk assessment more they'd understand why companies make safer moves like this, especially in the current climate of everything

Lol WTF did this thread turn into? And their response wasn't "woke," it was "Uh yeah we appeal to consumer markets."

Top Bottom