• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime Mafia |OT| My Little Scum can't be this cute! ()

Swamped

Banned
Not firmly on my scum list or anything, but the following is all of the suspicious behavior that stood out to me:

Squidy for the cop shenanigans as I've pointed out earlier. Thought he might be baiting a night kill but the commuter wounded up dead so that makes it more likely for him to be scum at this point.

Cabot for his defense of Kyan, and him being generally all over the place. I understand he's trying to put pressure through votes, but it feels like it's more for show than anything.

Dusk as a neutral maybe for his secret chat shenanigans. I still have no idea what happened there.

Bowlie for the vote on Nomadic Sparks.

Ultron assuming my kyan/ultron theory pans out.

My strongest town vibes are Palmer and Swamped. Insightful and well thought out posts.

Thanks. It's a bit suspicious to only have one scum read at this point in the game, especially when so many suspicious things have happened, hence my question to you. Most of your points seem a bit..derivative? As in other people have already made those points (Other players pointed out Squidy, Dusk and Bowlie before). It's fine to agree with people, but I feel like you didn't put too much thought into why you scumread them.

To you credit, you do explain your Kyan/Ultron connection in post 1138. I think this feels like a town post? But it's the kind of logic scum could use to justify their vote too. I'm definitely very unsure about you.

VOTE: squidyj

(see I can totally spell his name when I want to!)

cabot

Another "curious" person...

That aside your opinion of scum players sitting on their votes is a good one. I would only disagree that in early days, scum will probably not want to move their votes around in the finals hours for fear of bringing unwanted attention to their votes. Then again maybe the dynamics of mafia on GAF are much different than I'm familiar with. If I were to look at things at the same basis you do, I would say look for the people who didn't switch up their votes much OR never placed a vote.

I realize I'm in the latter, but I had my reasons not to vote.

Reading over your posts today, I quite like them.

However, what does the bolded mean?

TheExodu5

Banned
My point was you said I was suspicious for defending Kyan, yet Swamped was a strong town read, then I quoted Swamped disagreeing with you and uh...defending Kyan.

Bold the entire sentence about you then. The Kyan defense is not my only reason for suspicion.

I don't think I've played with you before and that may well be your playstyle, but I still feel like sporadic voting just obfuscates your voting patterns and makes it harder to get a read on you. Same line of thinking as Kyan's shitposting...I feel like obfuscation is a tactic that can only help scum.

cabot

sorry, I automatically removed the crap reason.

Obfuscating my voting pattern eh, guess you might have to do something ridiculous then, like read the content of my posts.

rac

Banned
\

So, why was he not killed during the night phase? If he was town, there was absolutely no reason to not kill him and pretty much destroy any credibility I had going forward. It would be such an easy argument to make for a Day 2 lynch. It honestly makes no sense. Would the Mafia just safely go for someone some people considered to be town (SkyOdin) and relinquish the opportunity to control the next day's conversation? I simply cannot believe that they would pass it up.

or scum wants to keep him alive because everyone is just saying he is shitposting and it allows you to tunnel on him even harder

ultron87

I'm still collecting thoughts, but just to respond to this speculation on my role:

Why is scum unlikely for ultron? Seems like a well tooled power for scum.

I think it'd be too powerful for Scum? Their minority number of votes and inability to vote without leaving evidence is one of the big balancing methods, so having someone that can vote without fear of revealing themselves would be super powerful. Especially near the end of the game.

This is the part of the claim that I am having trouble with, as far as I'm concerned that's hiding standard game mechanic information from the players, which I consider Bastard.

It does seem a little odd, yeah. I think it might be this way so that I wouldn't have a method to communicate with the game from beyond the grave. Obviously (I assume) I won't be getting access to the spec thread to after my extra voting day is over, but avoiding any ridiculous communication attempts like "Ultron, unvote if you think X" might be for the best.

or scum wants to keep him alive because everyone is just saying he is shitposting and it allows you to tunnel on him even harder

Well, yeah, I brought that up as scenario #4. I don't believe that is more likely than #1, though, which is why I voted for him.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm still collecting thoughts, but just to respond to this speculation on my role:

I think it'd be too powerful for Scum? Their minority number of votes and inability to vote without leaving evidence is one of the big balancing methods, so having someone that can vote without fear of revealing themselves would be super powerful. Especially near the end of the game.

It does seem a little odd, yeah. I think it might be this way so that I wouldn't have a method to communicate with the game from beyond the grave. Obviously (I assume) I won't be getting access to the spec thread to after my extra voting day is over, but avoiding any ridiculous communication attempts like "Ultron, unvote if you think X" might be for the best.

Huh? Vote without revealing themselves? Am I misunderstanding your power? You get a single secret vote after you die...at which point you've already been revealed.

Scum often gets a one or x-shot method to get more than 1 night kill, so that seems like a fairly reserved version of that.

So here are my thoughts. Might be messy because I did it in word.
sorry. m(。≧ _ ≦。)m

I think there are cupids but – and this may be a total misread because that’s another power I’ve never seen before – I think it’s more a combination harem/cupid, or both. I think there will be times when certain genders are forced to act or are restricted from acting in certain ways.

I’m guessing Cupids because of shipping, first, and because there’s something weird in my fluff desc (unrelated to anything else about it – just of all the ways this character could have been described, that choice makes me wonder). BUT it might be the totally wrong tree and I’m just barking away.

01. [m] oreomunsta – Waiting to see how oreo develops now that we’ve lost some people. I especially want to know what oreo says about ultron87 now, because of this:

03. [it] hatmoza - not sure yet. Doubt scum.
04. [f] hey_monkey – am still me
05. [m] rac - here's what I said before: Dry wit, not sure he’s trying to make people like him. Really not sure overall if it’s just new player finding his way or if he’s trying to be overcautious, which would read scum. - would agree, but lean townish because some productive moments that seemed designed to help, not hurt.

06. [m] 30yearsofhurt – I was concerned about 30years until his explanation and while I still want to know more about why he found Zubz suspicious, I believe he’s just genuinine used to playing a different way. Could be biased/fake read because I’m also not used to all these weird roles, but for now, off my list. Also SkyOdin was against voting for 30 and right now I trust the townies who are gone.
07. [m] Poltergust – suspicious as hell for reasons that we’ve talked to death. I think day 2 behavior will be telling and I’m gonna watch.
08. [m] Bowlie – Some weird behavior at the end but not really enough to read. Also a day2 watch.
10. [m] Palmer_v1 – Seems interested in learning something. Pushes productively. Asks good questions. But it’s sometimes a strike and run to strike again. I don’t know if that’s in line with town. It’s like a more focused version of Kyanrute, but since Palmer’s more productive, I think, lower on my watchlist.
11. [m] ultron87 – for now, I trust the claim. I also agree with this post and it makes me further believe neutral or town:

12. [m] cabot – may be a mistake, but for now I trust cabot. Seems helpful to me and maybe a little snarky but not in a way that raises my suspicions. Even-handed. Seems to want to figure things out. Could be scum faking. But there are so many others who just seem genuinely unconcerned that cabot is either genuine town or a real good faker. Y’all will know more than I. If ultron87 is scum, which I guess is possible (I believe him for now), then they could have cooked it up between them but it seemed hurried and I think if it had been planned it would have gone down just a little bit earlier.

14. [m] Dusk Soldier – Shared my read on Kyan at the end. Made me suspect him a little less. I don’t think it was a ploy switch (unless Kyan’s town and Dusk isn’t) because there were only a few people making noise about voting for Kyan. Dusk is on my watch list regardless, but I’m not carrying that banner anymore – for now. Did also reach out to ultron87 and Zubz for a sort of alliance.

I think this post to hatmoza is worth remembering, though I don’t know yet if it means anything:

15. [m] Cewyn – Man, I don’t know. Some suspicious deflecting behavior, maybe coasting, maybe hiding something, maybe just wasn’t very active d1. Defended Dragonz. Maybe for good reasons, maybe not. Voted Stanley for… I don’t know. Feelz.
16. [m] BlackBuzzard – My gut is a town lean for now but I don’t think we’ve seen enough to be sure. Even though you voted for me. (゚´Д`゚)゚
17. [m] Haly – I don’t know. I wonder if some of the reads on Haly came from past games and known behavior. I don’t have much of a read yet.
18. [m] squidyj – Was super impressed with squidy during live mafia and think he’s a player to watch. I really have no idea. I lean town because he seems genuinely interested in pushing for a solution but he’s a great liar and a fast thinker. Will need to track his behavior carefully because he’s gonna zig zag, but it’ll be productive.

19. [m] TheExodu5 – I’d like to see more here.
20. [f] WhereAreMahDragonz – I have voiced suspicions before so I’m gonna wait to see how she develops on d2.
21. [f] Swamped – Not the most active, but I feel like all her posts are productive. But they could be scum cover. There’s not a huge amount of direct engagement. My gut is to trust her for now.
22. [m] StanleyPalmtree – I know some people have feelings here but I don’t really yet.
23. [m] Kyanrute – Is my #1 right now. Does not seem at all interested (yet?) in anything but creating noise and chaos. Even the questions to people aren’t particularly helpful; they just seem designed to whip something up. I think there’s a difference between shitposting or being silly and instigating. Maybe Kyan is like squidy, but after playing liveMaf with squidy, I feel more confident in understanding squidy’s style. Kyan to me just feels like either neutral or scum. If Kyan was town, I figure we’d get at least a hint of more substance. In the wind-down on day 1, we got some dropping on easy targets (Poltergust),
On the other hand – was a little scattered with the finger-pointing (Dusk, Polter, others) and less focused. Not sure what that means. But it still seems more like waving tentacles and raising suspicion across the board and then helping hone in on a town target people had been building suspicion again.
On the OTHER OTHER hand, that suspicion started with SkyOdin (on Zubz).

Literally everything in this post is noncommittal and wishy washy. There are no concrete opinions which indicates, in my long, elusive, scum career, that monkey-chan is having a hard time settling on a target for the day. This doesn't signal a conflicted townie, but rather, a careful scum play.

Nothing here gives me the warm fuzzies.

Allow me to explain! It has to do with how Kyanrute survived last night, which forms the basis of my suspicion with him.

OK, so I understand that I'm currently on thin ice right now, especially with my actions towards the end of yesterday. Although it was not my intention, I almost made a tie happen. This is due to me putting my opinion on Kyanrute above all else. Because of this, I believe now that my fate going forward is directly tied to Kyanrute.

So, why was he not killed during the night phase? If he was town, there was absolutely no reason to not kill him and pretty much destroy any credibility I had going forward. It would be such an easy argument to make for a Day 2 lynch. It honestly makes no sense. Would the Mafia just safely go for someone some people considered to be town (SkyOdin) and relinquish the opportunity to control the next day's conversation? I simply cannot believe that they would pass it up.

Ultimately, there are four possibilities at play here for you guys:

1) I'm town and Kyanrute's scum. This is, of course, what I believe to be the case based on what has happened so far and I'm using my above argument to justify this.

2) I'm scum and Kyanrute's town and I'm basically BS'ing you guys.

3) We're both scum. This is the least likely scenario, since the only way this makes sense is that I'm attempting to play the long game here by going for a member of my team early on to establish trust with the town.

4) We're both town. This is obviously the worst-case scenario. If I get lynched and it's revealed I'm town, I have little doubt that Kyanrute would be next on the chopping block. Similarly, I'm also next to get lynched if, after everything I said, that Kyanrute is revealed to be town after he gets lynched. It could be that the Mafia predicted I would act this way and let me basically hang my own neck, but I'm not so sure about that.

Of course, the only two possibilities for me are #1 and #4, but it's not like I'm picking #1 at random. I think that scenario #1 is what is actually going on here because it just makes more sense. I'm sure that the Mafia can play 42nd-dimensional chess when the situation calls for it, but I feel that there was no need to mislead me when they could just outright destroy me.

Maybe I'm making too big of an assumption here, though. Maybe the link between me and Kyanrute isn't as strong as I make it out to be, and if I get lynched there is a possibility Kyanrute will emerge unscathed. Maybe the Mafia did not even consider what killing Kyanrute would mean for me.

But... while I am indeed putting all my eggs into one basket, I'm willing to see it through. Therefore...

Vote: Kyanrute

...Says the person who pressured me to change my vote.

An awful lot of assumptions with no concrete reads and / or opinions. Poltergust-kun is not trying to solve the game in this post. They are trying to deflect the heat they got yesterday onto Kyan.

This in no way clears Kyan-sensei, but I don't like Poltergust-kun's deflections. A flip on either one of them would be benefitial for further reads on the remaining party.

ultron87

Huh? Vote without revealing themselves? Am I misunderstanding your power? You get a single secret vote after you die...at which point you've already been revealed.

Scum often gets a one or x-shot method to get more than 1 night kill, so that seems like a fairly reserved version of that.

I mean that, usually, to get someone lynched, scum needs to actually put their names on a list, and have to deal with that paper trail following them the rest of the game with people saying "well so and so voted for X and Y so..." but if a scum had my power, they wouldn't have to worry a ton about that when voting while already dead. Because they're dead. Especially since the vote doesn't get revealed till the day ends.

Kevyt

I am worried about Squidyj being cop and surviving the night. I think this was some reverse psychology move on scum and therefore they decided not to target him or he isn't town to begin with. I'm also open to the possibility that he could not be scum and have an ability/role beyond vanilla. Perhaps something crazy and hairy, with a certain win condition. I would say Squidyj's behavior is standard for now, and if there's a wildcard player in the game, then it's definitely him.

As far as Dragonz, yeah I admit to have defended her. I think her contribution to the game on day 1 was fantastic and her flavor is fun to watch/read. However, I don't know if she really is town anymore. I will watch closely this day and try to see if there's any change. I don't know, maybe I'm guilty of defending her and this could be my downfall.

Thanks. It's a bit suspicious to only have one scum read at this point in the game, especially when so many suspicious things have happened, hence my question to you. Most of your points seem a bit..derivative? As in other people have already made those points (Other players pointed out Squidy, Dusk and Bowlie before). It's fine to agree with people, but I feel like you didn't put too much thought into why you scumread them.

To you credit, you do explain your Kyan/Ultron connection in post 1138. I think this feels like a town post? But it's the kind of logic scum could use to justify their vote too. I'm definitely very unsure about you.

I don't really trust theExodu5 since his post feels manipulative.

TheExodu5

Banned

VOTE: squidyj

(see I can totally spell his name when I want to!)

I did a full read through of the posts to catch up yesterday (keep in mind I wasn't really around day 1) and underlined behavior I thought to be suspicious. Whether it's derivative or not is irrelevent. People are too quick to dismiss obvious suspicious behavior in favor of "feeling" (gut reads). Squidy and Dusk are still huge question marks and everyone seemingly let things go without prodding for more answers. That being said, I still think kyan is the more likely scum since we have real votes corroborating his scuminess.

What, six hours left in the first day of the day cycle? And these people haven't posted yet:

oreomunsta, BlackBuzzard, StanleyPalmtree

30yearsofhurt drove by to basically say "later, y'all." Bowlie made some noise about that wasted vote but didn't do anything productive.

An awful lot of assumptions with no concrete reads and / or opinions. Poltergust-kun is not trying to solve the game in this post. They are trying to deflect the heat they got yesterday onto Kyan.

This in no way clears Kyan-sensei, but I don't like Poltergust-kun's deflections. A flip on either one of them would be benefitial for further reads on the remaining party.

I thought I was onto something, though. :<

I do agree with you on one thing, though. At the rate we're going I doubt either of us will last much longer, and revealing one of us will (hopefully) say a lot about the other.

On a side note, this is starting to bother me:

I follow your logic on your Poltergust read. I now differ in opinion between you and Palmer on monkey.

This is her first game...

[m] Poltergust - New - EST

*coughcough*

I'd also like people's thoughts on this, since it seemed to have been skimmed over by everyone going into a new page.

Speaking of flavor, the way Zubz was killed is interesting. I'm not sure if this is important at all or just Burbeting being silly, but this is worth pointing out:

”It must be Zubz, Burbeting-Senpai!” said one of the younger anime characters. Zubz was carried to the main stage. ”Shall you eat this gajin scum?”

”What? No! Instead we shall cancel Zubz’ series!”

All anime characters in the crowd gasped for air. Cancelling a series is the worst thing that could happen for any anime! Especially for a one that didn’t even have it’s story finished yet (because all of the filler episodes are important too, you know.)

”Well then Zubz.” Burbeting stomped to the ground three times, and shouted. ”No more episodes for you!”

Zubz sobbed in agony, until they dropped down and died.

”I guess that’s a side effect of cancelling their series. Oh well, it can’t be helped.”

Does this mean that there can only be one character per series?

Well, if there are lovers, I guess they'd be part of the same series, but yeah.

cabot

I thought I was onto something, though. :<

I do agree with you on one thing, though. At the rate we're going I doubt either of us will last much longer, and revealing one of us will (hopefully) say a lot about the other.

On a side note, this is starting to bother me:

[m] Poltergust - New - EST

*coughcough*

Oh, I was referring to monkey there. I said I agreed with her (swamped) read on you then moved onto monkey

awkward...

Kevyt

What, six hours left in the first day of the day cycle? And these people haven't posted yet:

oreomunsta, BlackBuzzard, StanleyPalmtree

30yearsofhurt drove by to basically say "later, y'all." Bowlie made some noise about that wasted vote but didn't do anything productive.

Well true, but up to a few moments ago, I had not posted either, and I am town... Doesn't really tell you much.

The day is still young Mr. Monkey~

Literally everything in this post is noncommittal and wishy washy. There are no concrete opinions which indicates, in my long, elusive, scum career, that monkey-chan is having a hard time settling on a target for the day. This doesn't signal a conflicted townie, but rather, a careful scum play.

I've already addressed this stuff, so here I'll just say: I do have a vote on the board at present. Do you?

That said:

I agree. And Polter bringing back the fluff just now also doesn't feel like forward motion. I think there's some worth in looking at the mechanics and trying to figure out the frame, but continuing to push mechanics and weird connections doesn't feel productive. It feels deflective, particularly when there's Polter suspicion and votes in play.

Well true, but up to a few moments ago, I had not posted either, and I am town... Doesn't really tell you much.

The day is still young Mr. Monkey~

Okay, honestly, after a while, the assumptions that everyone is male/that male is the default on GAF gets kind of annoying. I get it. But.

I agree. And Polter bringing back the fluff just now also doesn't feel like forward motion. I think there's some worth in looking at the mechanics and trying to figure out the frame, but continuing to push mechanics and weird connections doesn't feel productive. It feels deflective, particularly when there's Polter suspicion and votes in play.

The only reason I brought it up again is because not a single person commented on it. Is it just flavor or does it actually play into the game?

I am worried about Squidyj being cop and surviving the night. I think this was some reverse psychology move on scum and therefore they decided not to target him or he isn't town to begin with. I'm also open to the possibility that he could not be scum and have an ability/role beyond vanilla. Perhaps something crazy and hairy, with a certain win condition. I would say Squidyj's behavior is standard for now, and if there's a wildcard player in the game, then it's definitely him.

As far as Dragonz, yeah I admit to have defended her. I think her contribution to the game on day 1 was fantastic and her flavor is fun to watch/read. However, I don't know if she really is town anymore. I will watch closely this day and try to see if there's any change. I don't know, maybe I'm guilty of defending her and this could be my downfall.

I don't really trust theExodu5 since his post feels manipulative.

What changed, exactly?

cabot

The only reason I brought it up again is because not a single person commented on it. Is it just flavor or does it actually play into the game?

Flavour is flavour. There might be method to it but without the full picture it leads to mistakes more often than not.

Kevyt

Okay, honestly, after a while, the assumptions that everyone is male/that male is the default on GAF gets kind of annoying. I get it. But.

kFGdEIo.gif

My mistake! I am so sorry... :(

I usually know the players beforehand and look over the list, and this time I saw a lot of players I had played with before and didn't really pay much attention to the list this time.

Not an excuse, but I will do better next time!

What changed, exactly?

Nothing much has changed.

For now I'd like to talk about Monkey-chan. &#961;(&#65342;o^)&#9834;

I had many suspicions on day one, and if Zubz-kun hadn't messed up like that, I would have voted for her. Do I regret my vote? Well obviously, since he was town, but I do not regret my reasoning or logic behind it. All things considered, I feel that it was a strong vote and I am not going to let it stop me going forward.

That being said, there were many things that I feel I overlooked about Monkey-chan yesterday. Her unwillingness to commit to a vote, her slight prodding on a variety of players, her lack of committed and convincing reads. I'm on mobile but when I get home I'll find examples. All of this reminds me of the first time I played scum, in Gods. Most of her content is baseless speculation not on players themselves, but on the game. I mean, this is fine, to an extent, but the real core of Mafia is reading people. Which she has, time and time again, failed to do consistently.

And today, she once again continues to prod and poke and jumps on an easy bandwagon vote early in the phase. None of it sits well with me, and I would like her to explain her behavior.

Vote: hey_monkey

TheExodu5

Banned
I see plenty of reads from monkey. I actually find her reads to be quite confident for a new player. She seems to have provided a lot more reads than you have, unless I missed some of your posts. Seems like a similar situation to day 1, where you accused people of not posting anything of any substance despite doing so yourself.

rac

Banned
For now I'd like to talk about Monkey-chan. &#961;(&#65342;o^)&#9834;

I had many suspicions on day one, and if Zubz-kun hadn't messed up like that, I would have voted for her. Do I regret my vote? Well obviously, since he was town, but I do not regret my reasoning or logic behind it. All things considered, I feel that it was a strong vote and I am not going to let it stop me going forward.

would you have kept your vote on nomadic if he didn't get banned?

To answer Cabot on the happenings of the end of the day. I never had scum vibes for Zubz even after the weak attempt of WMD to find a scum tell on him. Kyan voted on Zubz and then a few minutes later my biggest scum read(WMD) voted Zubz. I wasn't going to let Zubz get piled on, so i voted against that by voting for Ultron who i had as a null read. If push came to shove i would have unvoted in the last minute regardless of his power claim(which i did see) If i had to do it all over again i would vote Ultron again.

Palmer calling me non committal it was a lost vote if i had stayed on WMD, nobody was going to vote on her for day 1 because she is the most active, does that change how i think about her, not at all.

Palmer_v1

Still watching the thread but don't have anything new to add for now. I appreciate the responses, and hope the missing people check in soon.

Actually, I do notice Odin's death and think that's horrible and spooky since he was an outwardly analytical player :(

I'll still share my opinions openly for Town's sake, but I feel an axe hanging over more prevalently now

hatmoza

Reading over your posts today, I quite like them.

However, what does the bolded mean?

Thanks. Don't be too impressed. I'm too behind on the comprehension since I started this game late and I'm still trying to associate names to posts. I feel like I'm 4 or 5 steps behind everyone else.

Latter as I'm in the camp of people who did not place a vote.

hatmoza

This a strong observation that honestly forced me to reread his post and change my view on him.

Swamped, I'm curious as to why you agree with the move to kill Odin from a few pages back. Sorry if I'm out of the loop here, but Odin's actions were pro-Town. He was contributing, analyzing, and sharing enough that it raised good points for Town to consider.

I'm against day 1 lynches generally as I've stated. Furthermore I was in the late stages of recovery from the flu when day 1 was ending. I had nothing to go on.

Why would a day 1 lynch not be a good idea?

Kevyt

To answer Cabot on the happenings of the end of the day. I never had scum vibes for Zubz even after the weak attempt of WMD to find a scum tell on him. Kyan voted on Zubz and then a few minutes later my biggest scum read(WMD) voted Zubz. I wasn't going to let Zubz get piled on, so i voted against that by voting for Ultron who i had as a null read. If push came to shove i would have unvoted in the last minute regardless of his power claim(which i did see) If i had to do it all over again i would vote Ultron again.

Palmer calling me non committal it was a lost vote if i had stayed on WMD, nobody was going to vote on her for day 1 because she is the most active, does that change how i think about her, not at all.

So you're reading WMD as scum (quote "my biggest scum read") and decide to vote for Ultron who is a null read. I guess this was done because the Ultron bandwagon was gaining momentum and because WMD didn't have many votes.

Hmmm.... I can see why Palmer was referring to you as not committing. I share the same sentiment.

rac

Banned
i thought for sure Palmer was scum

posting a early list that didn't amount to anything
turning on the only town read on his list
Bowlie voting for Nomadic and then Palmer voting Bowlie in response, it just felt too easy to me

until i saw he voted Bowlie again last night.... welp

Top Bottom