• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Anime] Your "Controversial" Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

If your definition of significance is something that doesn't involve character growth, then character-driven storytelling probably isn't for you.

When the character growth is "Rakka finally decided to try out a job today", I can't get into it. I know that's hyperbolic, and that the entire series isn't exactly like that, but that is my argument against the show in a nutshell. The characters don't really do things outside of work and mope. The conflict is entirely an inner one, with pretty much no conflict resulting from their living situation (
beyond the blackened wings which can get them exiled, but they get the black wings from an inner conflict
). At best, the only outer conflict comes in the form of a couple scoldings received from the old priest (I forget his name).

Branduil

When the character growth is "Rakka finally decided to try out a job today", I can't get into it. I know that's hyperbolic, and that the entire series isn't exactly like that, but that is my argument against the show in a nutshell. The characters don't really do things outside of work and mope. The conflict is entirely an inner one, with pretty much no conflict resulting from their living situation (
beyond the blackened wings which can get them exiled, but they get the black wings from an inner conflict
. At best, the only outer conflict comes in the form of a couple scoldings received from the old priest (I forget his name).

All good drama results from inner conflicts.

Risette

A Good Citizen
FLCL is not incoherent, anyone who says this is either being mean on the internet or couldn't comprehend the visual storytelling of the show. :(

Beth Cyra

People like to watch borderline-autistic characters do retarded but cute things!

I can understand that somewhat, but Yui took it to a whole new level of bad. At least for me it was seriously unwatchable when you combine how stupid she was with how annoying Ritsu was the majority of the time.

Joking aside, I think Mortrialus put it best:
I always do.

Yes, FLCL has a lot of crazy nonsense. They made up a bunch of shit on the spot (Like Canti, he wasn't originally a TV head. ). But saying that's all FLCL consists of is kind of missing the forest for the trees. FLCL is at its core a coming of age tale about a 14 yo school boy. That's it. And that portion of the show is executed extremely well and imo the incoherent nonsense mixes in quite well with the main themes of adolescence, alienation, etc.

All kidding aside, I grew up in a town with a population lower than 10,000. The town was so small, empty, dirty and boring that we didn't even have a Best Buy, Target or other stores such as that aside from Wal-Mart. I'll always have a soft spot for FLCL because it kind of embodies the type of boredom I went through, and the yearning for something, anything exciting to happen in your life.

At least you have legit reasons for hating it.

I on the other hand couldn't stand the characters, and the way that Yui's stuidity is pratically celebrated makes me scatch my head.

Honestly, I hated the two black haired chicks the most. Such blatant and shameless moe bait.

Wiktor

And even that had massive problems in the mid segment. The art in some of the late teen episodes gets so bad it borders on surreal.

@AdrianWerner: Not... really? I mean, what shows have you watched dubbed? Because most dubs produced in at least the last 5 years are perfectly competent and watchable at the bare minimum. While I will agree that the standard of voice acting for video games is on the whole slightly higher than that for anime, I don't think the gap is anywhere near as huge as you make it out to be. Also keep in mind that dubbed Japanese stuff will almost inherently sound different from locally-produced content, though the best dubs should (in theory) make it so that you can't tell the difference. Also keep in mind that dubbing is fucking ridiculously hard and this has nothing to do with the talent of the actors involved.

Recently I've watched some of dubbed Mushishi and Spice and Wolf. Hated both.
What is IYO the best dubbed series of recent couple years? I would like to check it to see if I still get the same impression. Maybe I was just unlucky with picking shows.

The animation is the worst part of that show. That said, everything from art style (when not sucking), script, screenplay, characters, English dub, and story are so fantastic that I find the failing in the animation forgivable.
I have such mixed feelings about NHK. The first few episodes made promises to me that the rest of the show could never quite deliver (though the last few at least came close), and it really lost its way in the middle segment. That said, all of the virtues you mention really are present and commendable. In particular, the characters are so richly sketched and possessing of such twisted charm that I'm tempted to forgive all of the show's other shortcomings just on the grounds of how much I liked them. The dub was a little uneven but Chris Patton, Luci Christian and (surprisingly) Greg Ayres turned in absolutely phenomenal performances, some of the best I've ever heard in anime. Overall I definitely like it.

In GONZO's defense, Afro Samurai wasn't half-bad either. And while I haven't seen it yet, Speed Grapher looks intriguing.

Wiktor

The animation is the worst part of that show. That said, everything from art style (when not sucking), script, screenplay, characters, English dub, and story are so fantastic that I find the failing in the animation forgivable.

Plus they had the great idea to go with book ending, instead of following manga, which was the best thing they could have done.

Geneijin

I'm looking at an old electric guitar I have in my room right now. The strings on it are over 5 years old. They still haven't rusted. Guitar amps do not "feedback" when you unplug them. These are just the sloppy armature errors that can only come from no one having no one on the staff having ever talked to a musician. These are just the two off the top of my head. There isn't any excuse for this shit, so stop trying.
Oh yes it is when you're claiming such hyperbole. Let's break up your opinion.

K-ON is the most insulting piece of entertainment ever made, regardless if you are anime fan or a music fan, it is stupid.
The complaints you have about the series is relatively minor in comparison to what the show was, so yes, what you're trying to quantify as K-On as being "the most insulting entertainment ever made" is actually a relatively small problem in regards to overall scheme of the show. The point of the show you've entirely missed. Case in point, you're overexaggerating how bad K-On is.

Even if you like the series, there is no excuse and no defense for the show getting so much about guitars and music wrong, especially when the series is allegedly about guitars and music.
Except when you look at the alloted time actually dedicated to guitars and music, it's very minuscule in comparison to the high school hijinks.

Kisaya

I really liked Yu-Gi-Oh and still think it was a pretty good anime... 8)

I enjoyed Cowboy Bebop a lot, but at the ending I went "that's it? really?" ;x...

I hated the second half of Gurren Lagann. First half was amazing but
fuck that Kamina died and I hated Nia.

Movies by Makoto Shinkai are boring.

I don't like most mainstream shounen, I only have a few exceptions. I especially never understood the REBORN! hype.

Star Driver is amazin.

I don't really like AnimeGAF's taste in anime DX
but then again I won't say mine are amazing anyway, nor do I watch as much as I should to judge.

I can understand that somewhat, but Yui took it to a whole new level of bad. At least for me it was seriously unwatchable when you combine how stupid she was with how annoying Ritsu was the majority of the time.

I know why a lot of people love the show but personally I can't see/understand the appeal. Like, what is going on in your life that watching autistic girls do cute things is mentally stimulating?

All kidding aside, I grew up in a town with a population lower than 10,000. The town was so small, empty, dirty and boring that we didn't even have a Best Buy, Target or other stores such as that aside from Wal-Mart. I'll always have a soft spot for FLCL because it kind of embodies the type of boredom I went through, and the yearning for something, anything exciting to happen in your life.

Yep same here. I related to a lot of the themes in FLCL and that's one of the reasons why I will always love that show.

Branduil

Yui is borderline non-functional, but Ritsu is obviously the best character.

LordCanti

All good drama results from inner conflicts.

Personally, I like it when inner conflict comes up against outer conflict. For instance, had the punishments from the priest been extremely severe, it would have been interesting to watch the Haibane struggle against the rules that had been set out for them. Instead, the only struggle they had to overcome was one with their own
clinical depression, in some cases.
It just didn't make for an enjoyable watching experience for me.

FLCL is not incoherent, anyone who says this is either being mean on the internet or couldn't comprehend the visual storytelling of the show. :(

To be fair, some of the backstory did come in the form of Haruko talking to a cat. I could see someone glossing over that and not thinking it was important.

I agree with what someone else said though; Naota's coming of age story is the real draw there, and it's executed extremely well.

zoukka

I am not young enough to enjoy shonen anymore so most celebrated series like Gurrenn Lagann feel like shit to me. I like the animation and the theme, but I cannot relate to the characters.

Ghost in the Shell SAC might be the best anime ever made, even though Kusanagis rack is very distracting.

Branduil

Personally, I like it when inner conflict comes up against outer conflict. For instance, had the punishments from the priest been extremely severe, it would have been interesting to watch the Haibane struggle against the rules that had been set out for them. Instead, the only struggle they had to overcome was one with their own

I thought the resulting external conflict was extremely effective in how it related to the internal conflicts, I'll leave it at that for now.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Some people* need to review it several times before their comprehension reaches levels capable of decyphering FLCL.

*Everyone.

Beth Cyra

Honestly, I hated the two black haired chicks the most. Such blatant and shameless moe bait.

The thing is at least even as Moe bait I could some what buy that they had the mental capactiy to pick up an Guitar/Bass and play them.

Outside of Ui and Mugi shoveling food down Yui's throat I don't know how she could function. Honestly the fact she made it to school without being killed is nothing short of an act of god.

Baccano is shit and the English dub is overrated.
Agreed. The plot was dumb and pointless, the characters were obnoxious and unappealing, and the horrible New York accents were annoying as shit.

@AdrianWerner: Summer Wars has what may be the best overall dub I've ever seen. As mentioned above, the Welcome to the NHK has some truly outstanding performances.

I have such mixed feelings about NHK. The first few episodes made promises to me that the rest of the show could never quite deliver (though the last few at least came close), and it really lost its way in the middle segment. That said, all of the virtues you mention really are present and commendable. In particular, the characters are so richly sketched and possessing of such twisted charm that I'm tempted to forgive all of the show's other shortcomings just on the grounds of how much I liked them. The dub was a little uneven but Chris Patton, Luci Christian and (surprisingly) Greg Ayres turned in absolutely phenomenal performances, some of the best I've ever heard in anime. Overall I definitely like it.
I'm not sure if I would say it lost its way in the middle end. It did get a bit too far fetched at times. The island episodes immediately come to mind in that regard. I agree with every other point of your post though. I'd honestly rank Chris Patton's performance as Satou among the best in anime. Period. It's worthy of being rank along side the other great dub performances. It's a shame he dipped out of dubbing. He was a fantastic voice actor and his voice seemed to really fit anime. Honestly, Welcome to the N.H.K. is the perfect anime for the internet era, especially among those who have gone through what Satou went through such as myself.

Plus they had the great idea to go with book ending, instead of following manga, which was the best thing they could have done.
Eh. Honestly, I watched the NHK anime first, and I've never been interested in the book or manga.

Einhander

Neon Genesis Evangelion is terribly overrated. The action scenes are great, but everything else about the series is eh. It's not deserving of it being put on a pedestal.

ZeroGravity

The notion that anime is worse now than in past years is, I believe, absurd. I'd actually argue that 2011 was one of the best years ever for anime. I enjoy modern anime far more than stuff from the early 2000's or any year previous to it. The actual style and design of anime now is also far superior than it ever has been. I cannot stand the look of the vast majority of anime made in the 90's.

Lucky Star is the greatest anime series ever created. Its writing, dialogue, humor, comedic timing, pacing, characters, and references/homages to past anime are ridiculously brilliant. No series has ever made me laugh as hard, or connect and empathize, with its characters as much as this one. It's a series that excels on so many levels, not the least of which is a terrific slice-of-life show, a tremendous comedy, and a rather fantastic commentary on anime and otakuism. The fact that KyoAni wastes their time milking K-ON and churning out drivel like Nichijou instead of doing another season of this series pisses me off to no end.

Mecha is probably the worst genre of anime, and continuously produces some of the most cliche, generic, and cookie-cutter series out there. The majority of the time, I cannot get into an anime if it falls into this category; most of them just aren't any fun.

The dubs of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z are better than the original Japanese, mostly because of the change of background music. With the possible exception of Fullmetal Alchemist (the original), these are really the only two anime I can think of that I prefer to watch dubbed.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica really wasn't that great. I actually did enjoy it to a certain extent, but it's a prime example of an anime that's ruined by its terrible fanbase. I wish I could have watched it in a vacuum, because I want to snap every time I hear the words "deep" or "deconstruction" in regards to it. It really doesn't deserve anywhere near the level of praise it receives.

Kanon > Clannad. The KyoAni version, of course.

I don't have any problem with fanservice in anime.

Pokemon was better than Digimon, although I enjoyed both as a kid. It was never "one or the other" for me as it seemed to be with a lot of people.

The anime version of a series is almost always superior to its source material, if it has any (manga, light novels, etc).

Pink is always the most attractive hair color in any anime. Blue is a close second.

Beth Cyra

Oh I thought of another.

I just don't get the huge appeal of Haruhi. I watched it when everyone and their mothers raved about it and all I got was a show about one of the most selfish bitches ever. Out of the first 12 episodes there was nothing good about that character what-so-ever.

Lucky Star is the greatest anime series ever created. Its writing, dialogue, humor, comedic timing, pacing, characters, and references/homages to past anime are ridiculously brilliant. No series has ever made me laugh as hard, or connect and empathize, with its characters as much as this one. It's a series that excels on so many levels, not the least of which is a terrific slice-of-life show, a tremendous comedy, and a rather fantastic commentary on anime and otakuism. The fact that KyoAni wastes their time milking K-ON and churning out drivel like Nichijou instead of doing another season of this series pisses me off to no end.

Given how much K-On and Haruhi have been Pimped it has always stuck out as odd that Lucky Star only got the one OVA extension (well I guess the pocket manga off shoot as well) which sucks because it was the only one of the three that I liked.

LordCanti

Oh I thought of another.

I just don't get the huge appeal of Haruhi. I watched it when everyone and their mothers raved about it and all I got was a show about one of the most selfish bitches ever. Out of the first 12 episodes there was nothing good about that character what-so-ever.

I'll add to this by saying that the Haruhi from Ouran Host Club is the superior, God-Tier Haruhi.

cajunator

Banned
Oh I thought of another.

Haruhi is honestly kind of a boring show.
I bought it because it exists. But I'm not overly fond of it.

I'd honestly rank Chris Patton's performance as Satou among the best in anime. Period. It's worthy of being rank along side the other great dub performances. It's a shame he dipped out of dubbing. He was a fantastic voice actor and his voice seemed to really fit anime.
I freaked out when I read that he'd retired from voice acting, but then a friend of mine did some digging and found out that he's still been appearing in stuff as recently as last year. So I dunno what that's about. Hopefully it means he wasn't so serious about the whole retirement thing.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider "the other great dub performances"?

Branduil

Oh I thought of another.

A lot of people don't understand that Haruhi is the antagonist of the show.

Not that it's the greatest show ever, but Kyon's constant inner monologue makes it enjoyable and elevates it above the average show.

Oh I thought of another.

I liked Kyon's narration.

Everyone I know liked Kyon's narration.

I am explicitly referring to Crispin Freeman.

I freaked out when I read that he'd retired from voice acting, but then a friend of mine did some digging and found out that he's still been appearing in stuff as recently as last year. So I dunno what that's about. Hopefully it means he wasn't so serious about the whole retirement thing.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider "the other great dub performances"?

Well, that was a bit of a mistatement on my part. I meant that CP as Satou should be counted among the most iconic along side Steve Blum as Spike and JYB as Vash. I'd also still count him among the best. The most I've ever been impressed by a dub would probably be Beck Mongolian Chop Squad. It's damn near a miracle that that managed to get all the singing parts to sound as natural as they do. That said, the extras in BMCS suck. Alessandro Juliani as L from Death Note is another stand out for me, just because of how amusing his portrayal is. I tend to like Liam O'Brian's voice no matter what he is doing.

I don't hate Trigun, but the first half of the series is pretty excruciating to sit through. Haven't actually gotten that far into the second half just yet.

Beth Cyra

I liked Kyon's narration.

Everyone I know liked Kyon's narration.

I am explicitly referring to Crispin Freeman.

He actually wasn't bad. I remember really liking the subplot with him and Mikru? I can't remember her name, but then she came back shit happens and that is shot to hell only to have Haruhi end up giving a speech about how bored she was and I pretty much rage quit at that time.

Wazzim

Banned
Gundam is the only noteworthy blockbuster anime left. Everything else (from the popular animes) is lolipop or shonen otaku-food these days.

If you're looking for Haibane Renmei with tangible external conflict, watch Gunslinger Girl.

(If you're looking for Haibane Renmei for retards, watch Angel Beats.)

Lain

Yui is the best K-ON! character
Welcome to the NHK is crap, but it had good music
Gundam, all of it, is boring
Mazinger Z > UFO Robot Grendizer

ZeroGravity

There are a number of reasons why I believe that, but the primary one is that anime has music while written material does not. Music adds an unbelievable amount to the experience that I can forgive a lot of the areas where an anime might have to cut corners to adapt a source material. What's gained is greater than what's lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom