• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Anime] Your "Controversial" Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen Mushishi yet (on my to do list), but I completely agree about Haibane Renmei. If it had been half as long, or twice as honest, it would have been fantastic. Not to mention that it's ugly and looks horrible even on DVD (blurry as hell).

Mushishi is nothing like Haibanei Renmei which I also found very boring. Mushishi is almost entirely episodic, and each episode deals with the mushi life forms and how they affect humans in their every day lives. IMO it's one of the best anime I've ever watched and one of the best ever made.

Dead

well not really...yet
You're not really saying anything beyond restating your original opinion. It might help if you actually backed it up by talking about SHAFT's shows.
Beyond that they're ugly, often have terrible animation, are offensive, creepy, and cater to the worst sorts of anime fandom, sometimes hiding behind the guise of satire when in fact they are the very worst example of the trash supposedly being satirized, the utterly terrible and often hilarious over the top direction, made even worse when episodes are helmed by people other than Shinbo, mostly trying to ape his style, except that they make it even shittier. I'm not sure what else there is to say. It's all just very very awful.

Gonzo stuff at the least had very little pretension behind the fact that they were producing trash, Shaft is the opposite. Their shit stinks just as much, they just pretend it doesn't, and that kinda makes it worse.

Beth Cyra

Gundam Wing isn't as bad as people make it out to be, though it's still not good.

Zeta Gundam isn't that much better then Wing.

Treize is the single best Gundam Character since Amuro and Char. His retort to Wufei's final question is still one of the most badass moments in all of anime.

Kaleido Star season 1 is fucking amazing. Season 2 is completely garbage until the last Episode bring back Layla and act like the majority of the shit they shoveled didn't exist.

The OVA is amazing and if Season 2 didn't exist outside of that last Episode it would be the greatest anime of all time.

Heero actually had potentail to be the greatest gundam lead (crazy and a killer) then ended up the absolute worst (Relena's lapdog).

Last Kira as bad as he is actually saved the second half of Destiny and made it slightly more watchable when they started taking screen time away from Shinn.

Garzey's Wing is the greatest anime yet made. It's dub is a pillar of excellence that all other anime dubs aspire to.

This man knows what he's talking about.

Warning to all potential watchers: This movie will ruin anime for you because nothing else will ever be as awesome.

Also, on that note, Garzey's Wing has the best dub in history.

LordCanti

Mushishi is nothing like Haibanei Renmei which I also found very boring. Mushishi is almost entirely episodic, and each episode deals with the mushi life forms and how they affect humans in their every day lives. IMO it's one of the best anime I've ever watched and one of the best ever made.

I'm really excited to watch it. It's one of the few high 8's/low 9's out of 10 shows (from various ranking sites) that I've yet to watch.

Kenji Kamiyama is a hugely overhyped director whose shows are stilted, excessively talky, poorly paced, and utterly devoid of believable human sentiment.

Branduil

Beyond that they're ugly, often have terrible animation, are offensive, creepy, and cater to the worst sorts of anime fandom, sometimes hiding behind the guise of satire when in fact they are the very worst example of the trash supposedly being satirized, etc. I'm not sure what else there is to say. It's all just very very awful.

Gonzo stuff at the least had very little pretension behind the fact that they were producing trash, Shaft is the opposite. Their shit stinks just as much, they just pretend it doesn't, and that kinda makes it worse.

You're still not talking about any specific show.

And Gonzo was one of the most pretentious studios ever, not sure what you're talking about there. They were actually trying to make what they thought was good.

And Gonzo was one of the most pretentious studios ever, not sure what you're talking about there. They were actually trying to make what they thought was good.

Pretentious? I do not think that word means what you think it means. When I hear Gonzo, the first thing that pops into my mind is incompetence, not pretense.

I'm still surprised they managed to squeeze out one of the best shows ever: Welcome to the N.H.K.

Wiktor

Not enough legit controversial opinions in here.

-Death Note is an intelligent psychological roller coaster.
-Gurren Lagann episode 11 is a life changing event.
-Elfen Lied is beautiful in its execution of addressing certain themes such as identity and what it means to be human.
-Mushishi is boring as hell.
-So is Haibane Renmei for that matter.
-The only good thing Matsuno has ever written is Madworld.
-There is nothing funnier than Sexy Commando in any medium.
-Episodic stuff sucks.

You sir, have no soul.
Ginko.jpg

FLCL is infinitely better than TTGL

Absolutely. FLCL accomplished what it set out to do without relying on cheap, forced drama and other stupid shit.

I'm really excited to watch it. It's one of the few high 8's/low 9's out of 10 shows (from various ranking sites) that I've yet to watch.

It's still a slow show though. Personally I didn't mind because I found the world of Mushishi to be extremely interesting. The art, music and designs all come together to form a very memorable atmosphere. I can definitely see how someone would be bored by it if they don't care for the premise.

Dead

well not really...yet
Because what I said goes for every single Shaft show I've ever watched, and I've sampled pretty much all of them (cept for one thats kinda recent, dont remember the name, but it had some blonde girl)

I mean, obviously I haven't watched Nise, beacause after Bake and the PV for Nise...come on.

Pretentious? I do not think that word means what you think it means. When I hear Gonzo, the first thing that pops into my mind is incompetence, not pretense.

I'm still surprised they managed to squeeze out one of the best shows ever: Welcome to the N.H.K.

Lol'd hard

I also did enjoy the hell out of NHK even though it wasn't what I thought it would be.

Branduil

Their shows are pretentious because they think they are making something great despite their being incompetent. They show no self-awareness of their own failings.

Because what I said goes for every single Shaft show I've ever watched, and I've sampled pretty much all of them (cept for one thats kinda recent, dont remember the name, but it had some blonde girl)

Doesn't really sound like you watched Hidamari Sketch or Soredemo, though.

Absolutely. FLCL set out what it aimed to do without relying on cheap, forced drama and other stupid shit.

FLCL is Gainax's best work, hands down. It most embodies what initially drew me to anime: that sense of "Fuck it! we can animate whatever the fuck we feel like animating!" while still being relatable and enjoyable.

Edit: FLCL is an OVA, not Tv Series. What was I thinking?

LordCanti

It's still a slow show though. Personally I didn't mind because I found the world of Mushishi to be extremely interesting. The art, music and designs all come together to form a very memorable atmosphere. I can definitely see how someone would be bored by it if they don't care for the premise though.

Slow is fine with me, as long as it's going somewhere. Haibane Renmei never went anywhere. I guess the journey of the characters was worth it for people that actually enjoyed it, but for me I was begging for anything of any significance to happen by the end of the show. It finally sort of does very close to the end, but not in any way that made me change my opinion of the show overall.

Dead

well not really...yet
Their shows are pretentious because they think they are making something great despite their being incompetent. They show no self-awareness of their own failings.

Doesn't really sound like you watched Hidamari Sketch or Soredemo, though.

Hidamari falls under ugly crap too, dont know what soredemo is, so I guess I missed that as well

Wiktor

Oh..got another one

- In the last decade Gainax has been one of the very worst anime studios that are still in the business

Geneijin

K-ON is the most insulting piece of entertainment ever made, regardless if you are anime fan or a music fan, it is stupid. Even if you like the series, there is no excuse and no defense for the show getting so much about guitars and music wrong, especially when the series is allegedly about guitars and music.
You had false expectations of the series you never bothered to change as you finished it, and you still insist on condemning it for something it never aspired to be. Really, it's almost insulting how you literally missed the intentions of the show.

Now that I am here, watch this thread go to shit.
If you always have to voice this whenever you can, of course it would.

Branduil

Slow is fine with me, as long as it's going somewhere. Haibane Renmei never went anywhere. I guess the journey of the characters was worth it for people that actually enjoyed it, but for me I was begging for anything of any significance to happen by the end of the show. It finally sort of does very close to the end, but not in any way that made me change my opinion of the show overall.

If your definition of significance is something that doesn't involve character growth, then character-driven storytelling probably isn't for you.

It's easy to understand why people get confused about this, since it aired on Cartoon Network.

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh..got another one

- In the last decade Gainax has been one of the very worst anime studios that are still in the business
They've consistently put out garbage, but hey, the first half of Gurren is legit amazing, pound for pound worth them having produced all the other crap for that to exist.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I can't stand 99% of anime-GAF, except for icecream. I love her.

Yuru Yuri is the best anime of all time. All I eat now is rum raisin icecream.

Zolf

Samurai Champloo was mediocre at best. It's kind of like Cowboy Bebop, executed with similar competence except without anything that made the earlier anime good (setting, characters, music, entertaining one shot stories that provided some background into something even remotely relevant).

Code Geass doesn't get enough credit for being great. R2 turned into a giant bundle of WTF but it was still better (and significantly more entertaining) than a lot of crap out there.

I hated Eureka 7, I found every single character in Gekkostate unlikable.

Gundam SEED Destiny sucked (no controversy there), but SEED was equally bad.

In Gurren Lagann,
Simon was a terrible leader and Rossiu was right although his actions were ultimately unjustified.

Gosick is probably the worst show I've ever seen, I don't know why I completed it. Un-Go, on the other hand, was pretty good.

I didn't care for FLCL.

And even that had massive problems in the mid segment. The art in some of the late teen episodes gets so bad it borders on surreal.

@AdrianWerner: Not... really? I mean, what shows have you watched dubbed? Because most dubs produced in at least the last 5 years are perfectly competent and watchable at the bare minimum. While I will agree that the standard of voice acting for video games is on the whole slightly higher than that for anime, I don't think the gap is anywhere near as huge as you make it out to be. Also keep in mind that dubbed Japanese stuff will almost inherently sound different from locally-produced content, though the best dubs should (in theory) make it so that you can't tell the difference. Also keep in mind that dubbing is fucking ridiculously hard and this has nothing to do with the talent of the actors involved.

You had false expectations of the series you never bothered to change as you finished it, and you still insist on condemning it for something it never aspired to be. Really, it's almost insulting how you literally missed the intentions of the show.

I'm looking at an old electric guitar I have in my room right now. The strings on it are over 5 years old. They still haven't rusted. Guitar amps do not "feedback" when you unplug them. These are just the sloppy armature errors that can only come from no one having no one on the staff having ever talked to a musician. These are just the two off the top of my head. There isn't any excuse for this shit, so stop trying.

And even that had massive problems in the mid segment. The art in some of the late teen episodes gets so bad it borders on surreal.

The animation is the worst part of that show. That said, everything from art style (when not sucking), script, screenplay, characters, English dub, and story are so fantastic that I find the failing in the animation forgivable.

Yeah, I caught that before you called me out on it. Silly faux pas on my part. I don't blame you for laughing at it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Actually, the finest hour of Gainax in the last decade was Takami Akai telling it like it is during the Gurren production, insulting the online fanbase, resulting in him stepping down from the production or whatever

Classic Gainax moment.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Slayers OVA and Movies are far superior to the TV series.
Kanon and Air; the characters suck and the stories are shit.
The Battle Angel dub was better than the original voice over.
Panty and Stocking is a shitty anime.

It went for incoherent nonsense instead.

2deep4u

Joking aside, I think Mortrialus put it best:
It most embodies what initially drew me to anime: that sense of "Fuck it! we can animate whatever the fuck we feel like animating!" while still being relatable and enjoyable.

Yes, FLCL has a lot of crazy nonsense. They made up a bunch of shit on the spot (Like Canti, he wasn't originally a TV head. ). But saying that's all FLCL consists of is kind of missing the forest for the trees. FLCL is at its core a coming of age tale about a 14 yo school boy. That's it. And that portion of the show is executed extremely well and imo the incoherent nonsense mixes in quite well with the main themes of adolescence, alienation, etc.

Beth Cyra

I'm looking at an old electric guitar I have in my room right now. The strings on it are over 5 years old. They still haven't rusted. Guitar amps do not "feedback" when you unplug them. These are just the sloppy armature errors that can only come from no one having no one on the staff having ever talked to a musician. These are just the two off the top of my head. There isn't any excuse for this shit, so stop trying.

At least you have legit reasons for hating it.

I on the other hand couldn't stand the characters, and the way that Yui's stuidity is pratically celebrated makes me scatch my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom