• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Anime] Your "Controversial" Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poyunch

1U1gr.gif

You finally found a post to use the gif!

wonzo

Banned
The Akira movie is much better than the boring and drawn out manga.

Hellsing Ultimate, PSG and Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail are above-average at best.

Trigun is incredibly overrated.

Kaiba comes across as rather empty and scatterbrained and is Yuasa's weakest work (fwiw I haven't seen Mind Game).

K-On! is a great series.

Except even Twilight is significantly better than most anime.
90% of anime is made for pedophiles.
please don't troll

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
You think it sounds better in Japanese because what they are saying is fucking stupid and it sounds so in english. kuristaaa powaaa

lmao

I didn't say that. I said that I preferred French and German dubs and that I found the English language loud and obnoxious in dubs.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Bakemonogatari is shit.
As an expansion of this, I'll go on to say that SHAFT in general is a godawful studio who have produced a grand total of two watchable series, Hidamari Sketch and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru. Both of which are pretty good, though. But everything else? Shit. Terrible.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Yes, the English clip sounds that way because that's how the English language as spoken by Americans naturally sounds. It's not at all because of the audio levels and how the actress delivered her line. Nope, couldn't be. That'd be too logical.

I watched many anime and cartoons, and American English sounds loud and obnoxious. You can still turn down the volume, but it doesn't change that.

Evangelion in English is horrible, listening to Asuka makes me cringe.

wonzo

Banned
mars of destruction is better than eiken

school days is objectively the most heart warming harem story ever told

edit: whats with those ownage k-on/pokemon avatars

Branduil

Tomino is the George Lucas of anime. His writing and direction is mind-numbingly stilted and dumb.

KEY shows are melodramatic crap for people who have never experienced tragic fiction before.

Pretty much all of Evangelion's influence on anime has been for the worse.

The flashback portions of Only Yesterday are sublime but the movie falters a bit in the present day portions.

Inception>Paprika

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru is the best SHAFT show that nobody watched.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is the best anime film in the last half-decade at least.

Usagi Drop is the best anime series in the last few years.

Glass Fleet is the best show Gonzo has ever made.

Panty and Stocking is wonderfully animated trash.

Angel Beats is the ugliest anime of all time.

Now and Then, Here and There is a great series.

This is the first time I have ever seen someone attempt to use the Sailor Moon dub as a representation of the entire English language. Hopefully it'll be the last.

Also, since you were mentioning how much you hated American accents before, it might interest you to know that the Sailor Moon dub is Canadian.

Kaiba comes across as rather empty and scatterbrained and is Yuasa's weakest work (fwiw I haven't seen Mind Game).

K-On! is a great series.

Holy fuck you have the worst taste in this entire thread haha

Empty is just about the last thing that I would call Kaiba because it sure as fuck is a lot more substantial than K-On. If you want to criticize Kaiba then call out its mediocre ending episodes because those were incredibly weak compared to the rest of the series.

Seriously did you just not pay attention to Kaiba or something? FYI both Mind Game and Kemonozume really pale in compassion to Kaiba in storytelling structure, pacing, themes, art, music, characters and scope.

I watched many anime and cartoons, and American English sounds loud and obnoxious. You can still turn down the volume, but it doesn't change that.

Evangelion in English is horrible, listening to Asuka makes me cringe.

I think you mean that the people speaking English in these dubs are loud. American English itself can't be "loud". That doesn't make any sense.

She has the most talent, but I would put Saturn, Venus and Pluto higher
Hahahahaha! That she does. ; P

Inception>Paprika
From a storytelling perspective, I always felt Paprika was the weakest of Kon's work.
It's still one of the most visually entertaining anime films I've seen, though.

edit:
Tiffany Grant makes anyone with ears cringe.
My brother and I love saying her "WHAT ARE YOU, STUPID?" line to each other a lot.
We watched the dub originally, back in the day. Good times, good times.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Holy fuck you have the worst taste in this entire thread haha

Empty is just about the last thing that I would call Kaiba because it sure as fuck is a lot more substantial than K-On. If you want to criticize Kaiba then call out its mediocre ending episodes because those were incredibly weak compared to the rest of the series.

Seriously did you just not pay attention to Kaiba or something? FYI both Mind Game and Kemonozume really pale in compassion to Kaiba in storytelling structure, pacing, themes, art, music, characters and scope.
K-ON is more substantial than anything Masaaki Yuasa has directed.

Raxus

When it comes to 90%+ of the anime I have seen I always think it would have been better if I just stuck with the manga.

Wiktor

All I can say about dub is that if the characters yell a lot, you are safer with the original.

Isn't it because anime generally sell pretty weak in US, so they can only afford cheap (ie..rarely talented) voice actors? Because english voice acting is great in videogames and american-made cartoons, especially since they often hire normal actors.

That's what struck me when watching Supernatural anime. All the voices were pretty terrible. They sounded fake and unnatural. The sole exception was the character of Sam, because he was voiced by the same actor that plays him in tv series. The difference between him and the rest of the cast in anime was simply ridiculous.

I've been watching some Batman cartoons recently and they also have far superior voice work compared to most english anime dubs.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
This is the first time I have ever seen someone attempt to use the Sailor Moon dub as a representation of the entire English language. Hopefully it'll be the last.

Also, since you were mentioning how much you hated American accents before, it might interest you to know that the Sailor Moon dub is Canadian.

And how do you want me to prove the point? Do I have every video available in every language with the exact scenes ripped in a convenient format to show the world? It happened that Sailor Moon was easy to find in many languages for a given scene.

I'm Canadian, the dub was made in Toronto and I'm sure Americans didn't say how it sounds "Canadian". It's the same northern accent.

Branduil

When it comes to 90%+ of the anime I have seen I always think it would have been better if I just stuck with the manga.

That can be dangerous sometimes; one of the best anime of the last few years is better if you pretend the manga doesn't exist.

Isn't it because anime generally sell pretty weak in US, so they can only afford cheap (ie..rarely talented) voice actors? Because english voice acting is great in videogames and american-made cartoons, especially since they often hire normal actors.
At least half of all US voice actors working in games and cartoons work or have worked in anime.

And how do you want me to prove the point? Do I have every video available in every language with the exact scenes ripped in a convenient format to show the world? It happened that Sailor Moon was easy to find in many languages for a given scene.
But the Sailor Moon dub is notoriously bad.

Raxus

That can be dangerous sometimes; one of the best anime of the last few years is better if you pretend the manga doesn't exist.

Naturally there are exceptions but with long animes I often find the 'fluff' included is so poor or throws off the pacing so much that it makes it unbearable to keep up with a series. There are exceptions to this however, FMA is a good example I think (I still liked Brotherhood x.x).

Dead

well not really...yet
SHAFT = Seal of shit. They've never made anything that can be qualified as anything else than vile.

Instro

Garzey's Wing is the greatest anime yet made. It's dub is a pillar of excellence that all other anime dubs aspire to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom