• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Anime] Your "Controversial" Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynedom

Only real controversial opinions revolve around Evangelion:

-Evangelion the TV series sucked
-Rebuild is better in every way but probably for the wrong reason (i.e. minimizing the amount of time I have to put up with Shinji being a chickenwuss)
-RahXephon > Evangelion

Actually others include:

-Zeta Gundam was a great show (although I haven't watched it in close to 10 years)
-FMA Brotherhood > FMA original
-[C] actually had a great premise (some people didn't even give it this much of a chance) and was good at some point before taking a dive

-Legend of Galactic Heroes was
never the same after Wang died.
Hopefully I haven't raised Jex's ire here...
-I strongly prefer FLCL dubbed and I think anyone who thinks it's a horrible dub is a die-hard otaku/japanophile who is too blinded by some sort of bizarre prejudice. It is the only anime dub worth watching.
-The Death Note anime was fun

-G Gundam is a great show but an absolutely awful gundam show (except at the end when shit gets real)

Senoculum

I prefer dubs. One of my favorite movies of all time, of ALL TIME, is Spirited Away, and I've yet to watch it its original language.

I also think the Gundam franchise, ever since Wing, is insufferable.

I love glasses on girls in real life, but I hate em on female characters in anime.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dynedom said:
-I strongly prefer FLCL dubbed and I think anyone who thinks it's a horrible dub is a die-hard otaku/japanophile who is too blinded by some sort of bizarre prejudice. It is the only anime dub worth watching.
This is far off target for me. I enjoy dubs, and listen to them any time I can (ie if they're good), but FLCL's is just terrible. It's downfall is that it wants to be the Japanese track, and sounds absolutely awful because of it.

Dynedom

I don't know how controversial this is on AnimeGAF but I thought Gundam Wing was atrocious.

This is far off target for me. I enjoy dubs, and listen to them any time I can, but FLCL's is just terrible. It's downfall is that it wants to be the Japanese track, and sounds absolutely awful because of it.

Completely disagreed. I'll leave it at that.

I don't mean that you can masturbate to his shows. I mean that his shows (and movie) are self-masturbatory, overindulgent piles of awful.

Okay but can you be clear and explain what aspect(s) of Kaiba you found self-masturbatory and overindulgent?

I watched Kaiba once so it's not like I'm some over-analyzing eva type fanboy who tries to inject meaning into meaningless shit in the anime.

I still think you're talking about K-On! btw. Literally everything you said applies to K-On.

Funny, I would say that you would have to be raging weeaboo to consider the FLCL dub watchable, let alone good, such is its butchering of the English language. "Sounds exactly like the Japanese voice track" =/= "good".

Dynedom

Funny, I would say that you would have to be raging weeaboo to consider the FLCL dub watchable, let alone good, such is its butchering of the English language. "Sounds exactly like the Japanese voice track" =/= "good".

A weaboo liking a dub, in any context, seems like a contradiction.

Big B

Garzey's Wing is the greatest anime yet made. It's dub is a pillar of excellence that all other anime dubs aspire to.

word.

Controversial opinions:

Steins Gate is a boring piece of poo.
gurren lagann has a horrible art style. My eyes can't concentrate.

Shangri-la had such an amazing premise but then turned anime.
Kurozuka (black family?) - was a flawed masterpiece. One of its episode had an absurdist take on buddhism and feces

We need more works like Ghost Hound.

Soma

More of mine:

I don't think K-On is very good and i just find it incredibly boring.
I don't enjoy a lot of Leiji Matsumoto's works.
I really didn't like Full Metal Alchemist and it's taken lots of convincing to get me to watch Brotherhood.
Rei > Asuka (but Misato > All obviously)
G-Gundam is the best Gundam series next to 08th MS Team.

This is far off target for me. I enjoy dubs, and listen to them any time I can (ie if they're good), but FLCL's is just terrible. It's downfall is that it wants to be the Japanese track, and sounds absolutely awful because of it.
This, entirely.

@KidA Seven: I said that I thought the Bebop dub was good (just overrated) and half the episodes are completely deserving of the hype. Stuff like "Ballad of Fallen Angels", "Pierrot Le Fou", "Hard Luck Woman" and "The Real Folk Blues, Part 2" are just sublime.

@Dynedom: My point is that FLCL is the only dub ever made specifically to appeal to weeaboos.

This, entirely.

@KidA Seven: I said that I thought the Bebop dub was good (just overrated) and half the episodes are completely deserving of the hype. Stuff like "Ballad of Fallen Angels", "Pierrot Le Fou", "Hard Luck Woman" and "The Real Folk Blues, Part 2" are just sublime.

@Dynedom: My point is that FLCL is the only dub ever made specifically to appeal to weeaboos.

That doesn't make any sense. Explain please.

Dynedom

And while you may think it sounded awkward and dumb, I didn't. That's that. It was one of the few English dubs that didn't make me cringe. It just worked for me. Maybe the subject material lent itself to the dub, I dunno. Didn't find a single thing wrong with it and just about everyone I've watched this show with didn't once find the dub horrible (including people who generally hate anime and english dubs in any context). Meh.

The FLCL english dub tries to incorporate Japanese mannerisms into speech. Hard to explain but you probably know what I'm talking about / will know when you see it in the actual anime. Haru, in particular, does it a lot.

Beth Cyra

Eureka 7 is one of the single worst viewing experinces I've had my entire life. Renton is quite possible the single biggest piece of trash I've ever experinced.

Overman King Gainer is fucking trash.

Apollo from Aquarion is the best Mecha pilot we have had since Ryoma because he actually has a spine and isn't afraid to do what needs to be done.

Rah>Eva
Rebuild>TV

K-ON was boring shit.
Madoka is overrated as a Magical Girl Show and Yuri.
Mai Hime and it's extensions are terrible and the fact that Shizuru is part of a pairing that is widely consdidered the best since Haruka and Michiru makes me want to kill kittens.

Rei > Asuka (but Misato > All obviously)
G-Gundam is the best Gundam series next to 08th MS Team.
Amen to your Gundam opinions, but Rei over Asuka..? I don't know... that might be a deal breaker there. I loves me some Asuka. Not like that. I mean, just, yeah.

I actually just got part 1 of the G-Gundam collection in the mail the other day. I'm keeping my eye on part 2 to drop to $30 or less before I snag it.
And I got RahXephon in the mail before that. Looking forward to watching it for the first time and revisiting G-Gundam, when I get around to them.

The FLCL dub is for weeaboos? WHAT!? That's a really crazy opinion.

The only one in the show who sounded remotely like a Japanese character was Haruko! But that's because of the way her character talks. Everyone else had a voice that suit them and wasn't overdirected.

Who is "you guys" ?

Sooo does your opinion of Kaiba have any weight to it or is it something you just throw around without much meaning? :(

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Amen to your Gundam opinions, but Rei over Asuka..? I don't know... that might be a deal breaker there. I loves me some Asuka. Not like that. I mean, just, yeah.

Well it's being posted in a controversial opinions thread, guess that means it's highly contested!

K-ON is the most insulting piece of entertainment ever made, regardless if you are anime fan or a music fan, it is stupid. Even if you like the series, there is no excuse and no defense for the show getting so much about guitars and music wrong, especially when the series is allegedly about guitars and music.

The original FMA is great. FMA:B is fucking awful for a variety of reasons.

Edit: Now that I am here, watch this thread go to shit.

Not enough legit controversial opinions in here.

-Death Note is an intelligent psychological roller coaster.
-Gurren Lagann episode 11 is a life changing event.
-Elfen Lied is beautiful in its execution of addressing certain themes such as identity and what it means to be human.
-Mushishi is boring as hell.
-So is Haibane Renmei for that matter.
-The only good thing Matsuno has ever written is Madworld.
-There is nothing funnier than Sexy Commando in any medium.
-Episodic stuff sucks.

The ADR director & scriptwriter bent way over backward to force the actors to sound exactly like their Japanese counterparts, down to mimicking vocal inflections that make sense in Japanese but sound bizarre and incredibly awkward in English, and included honorifics (on an inconsistent basis!) and random Japanese words in the script, untranslated, for no reason other than because they are "ohhhhhh, Japanese". The result is a language track that, at least on a superficial level, sounds just like the Japanese, which is great if you think that dubbing should be an act of mimicry, not so great if you think dubbing should be an act of acting.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Sooo does your opinion of Kaiba have any weight to it or is it something you just throw around without much meaning? :(
It's just that Yuasa shows bother me in a strange way. When I watch them I feel like it's just him masturbating in full view and yelling insults at me as a viewer. It feels like he looks down on his viewers and thinks of himself as superior. It bothers me a lot.

LordCanti

I haven't watched a dub in years, but when FLCL came out on BR, I figured I'd give it a shot. Nostalgia told me that it was a really great dub. Nostalgia was wrong. It's actually pretty offensive, especially every time she calls him "Ta-Kun" despite it being an English dub, and that making no sense in English.

Other than that, most of my controversial opinions have been said already. FMA original is so much better than Brotherhood. Evangelion isn't even the best Gainax show, let alone the greatest thing ever animated. Some episodes of Cowboy Bebop aren't up to par. Trigun is terrible, etc. In addition to that, Sky Crawlers is the worst animated movie I've ever seen. It may be the worst movie I've ever seen period, and I've seen the human centipede. I've also seen that movie where one of the Wayan's brothers was a dwarf/bank robber, and hiding as a baby in suburbia.

Oh, and the crème de la crème of controversial opinions: The black rose arc of Utena is almost unwatchable in spots.

-Gurren Lagann episode 11 is a life changing event.
-Elfen Lied is beautiful in its execution of addressing certain themes such as identity and what it means to be human.
-Mushishi is boring as hell.

-There is nothing funnier than Sexy Commando in any medium.
-Episodic stuff sucks.

I haven't seen Mushishi yet (on my to do list), but I completely agree about Haibane Renmei. If it had been half as long, or twice as honest, it would have been fantastic. Not to mention that it's ugly and looks horrible even on DVD (blurry as hell).

I don't think this is that controversial. I thought it was generally agreed (outside of the people who outright hate it) that Death Note is a brisk, exciting detective thriller that doesn't insult your intelligence - nothing less, nothing more.

cosmicblizzard said:
Actually agree with this. I thought it was well-made but man between the constant dreamlike atmosphere and the fact that nothing exciting happens at all it's like that shit was designed to put you to sleep.

cosmicblizzard said:
This goes in the video game "controversial" thread, and also holy shit you are so wrong.

cosmicblizzard said:
-Episodic stuff sucks.
Kinda hard to frame this as anything other than personal preference, but overall I agree. If I may take it a bit further: half-hour episode formats do not lend themselves well to strictly episodic stories. In an episodic series each episode has to function as a sort of mini-movie, and in the space of 20-25 minutes it is really hard to consistently establish a narrative that is A) complete and B) not exceedingly simplistic. Live-action shows with hour-long episodes fare far better in this regard.

Half-hour episodes work just fine for comedy, though, but with comedy shorter is better as a general rule.

It's just that Yuasa shows bother me in a strange way. When I watch them I feel like it's just him masturbating in full view and yelling insults at me as a viewer. It feels like he looks down on his viewers and thinks of himself as superior. It bothers me a lot.

I haven't watched everything he's done (not even close) but strictly regarding Kaiba, I don't think that is the case at all. The show drops you off into its world without explaining anything and that first episode is confusing as hell, but immediately after that everything is explained in one way or another. I can't think of a single aspect of the show that was completely left in the dark/without explanation. Many times they used imagery and subtle script writing to drive the point home (see: Episode 3 - Chroniko's boots for a perfect example of this) but it's all there and it is honestly not that hard to follow.

Like I said before, I watched this show once as it aired in 2008 and it really didn't leave me confused like say Evangelion, which had a staggering amount of self-masturbatory imagery without any meaning whatsoever. Kaiba is different from the usual structure of anime storytelling which is very straight forward but it works. The reason a lot of fans were disappointed in the ending is precisely because it stepped away from its earlier structure and had very average/"hollywood"-y scenes with the big, flashy final battles and whatnot.

Branduil

I don't think this is that controversial. I thought it was generally agreed (outside of the people who outright hate it) that Death Note is a brisk, exciting detective thriller that doesn't insult your intelligence.

keikakuthumb.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
the last 4 Shaft animes were masterpieces, so I don't get the hate.
I mean, there are also people who enjoy Adam Sandler movies and Two and a Half Men, who am I to judge I guess.

Though I'd still rank Adam Sandler movies as being massively less insulting than your token Shaft work.

I don't think this is that controversial. I thought it was generally agreed (outside of the people who outright hate it) that Death Note is a brisk, exciting detective thriller that doesn't insult your intelligence.

Yeah. I don't know of anyone who seriously suggests Death Note is a series that legitimately presents a question on human morality. Most agree that the point of Death Note is that is really fun show with a villain protagonist. That said, it is really smart because of how hard it would be to write a show like death note and keeping track of every bit of information that each character knows and what they don't know.

Branduil

I mean, there are also people who enjoy Adam Sandler movies, who am I to judge I guess.

Though I'd still rank Adam Sandler movies as being massively less insulting than your token Shaft work.

You're not really saying anything beyond restating your original opinion. It might help if you actually backed it up by talking about SHAFT's shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom