• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Call of Duty 2014 teaser: no one man should have all that power

Megasoum

Banned
Except when MS pulls the timed exclusive DLC option. Now that Sony signed a deal with Activision for exclusive content in Destiny from Bungie, I bet MS will increase pressure on Activision to make their CoD deal even sweeter.

But but... Mort said that Activsion would announce the PS4 as the lead platform!

He said Black Ops 2 which did have a good main villain.

I said black ops 2... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQv90T800kw
You ( Your dad ) and Woods kill his sister and destroy his town and people so he seeks revenge on the country and sons of the men who killed his family.

I said that Blops 1 didn't have a central villain in response to his claim that every cod has been the exact same. Blops for what it was worth didn't put the entire focus on an over the top villain, as did some of the earlier Cods. It shouldn't be out there for a new development team to try something new to reinvigorate a tried franchise.

Also Mendez wasn't made out to be ambiguous at all. A technological modern Bin Laden x Jesus.

seems like a missed opportunity

AfUi6e7.gif

MormaPope

Banned
My reaction to the one screen shown was pretty meh, but Kevin Spacey? Damn.

Virtual Kevin is as dreamy as real Kevin Spacey.

ChaosXVI

Ugh, God Damn Activision knows how to bring the hype. I despise CoD, and now even I want to keep an eye out for the proper unveiling...

I mean, Kevin Spacey has to be the most likable human being alive, I mean his House of Cards character is so irredeemable...but you still love him anyway! How does he do it!

Hmm. It's possible they could be onto something cool with the story this time around, if they are going for this whole private military angle. And getting Spacey is a huge plus, especially since he seems to be doing more than just voice work.

But at the end of the day, it's still going to play like Call of Duty. And that will keep me from thinking of it as a legitimate experience.

Why do people care which system is the lead marketing platform? People are going to buy the game on the system of their choice for reasons other than which version gets marked more.

Legit question.

Why do people care which system is the lead marketing platform? People are going to buy the game on the system of their choice for reasons other than which version gets marked more.

Legit question.

CoD is still the biggest name in mainstream videogaming. It's generally agreed upon that Microsoft's close ties with the franchise last gen were part of that system's market domination. If you played CoD, people assumed it was on a 360. Looks like they'll do the same for the ONE.

It's going to be the American Government vs. The Rich, eh?

I forsee a retelling of the story of HAWX/MGS4 (especially HAWX). PMCs are all fun and games until they're not. America has to step in but things get messy. Sounds fun. That's not sarcasm, I get COD every year (not day 1) because I enjoy the campaigns and sometimes side modes.

All this talk about Kevin Spacey. I wasn't even sure who that was until someone mentioned
Kasier Soze
and I didn't think that movie was all that special. Don't hit me.

Legit question.

I'm gonna guess since the Xbox One version is the one that's going to be heavily marketed, people are afraid that the game will be developed around the One architecture, and we'll just have a boring port everywhere else that doesn't take advantage of the hardware.

But guesses are guesses. :<

I'm gonna guess since the Xbox One version is the one that's going to be heavily marketed, people are afraid that the game will be developed around the One architecture, and we'll just have a boring port everywhere else that doesn't take advantage of the hardware.

But guesses are guesses. :<
They already disproved that with Ghosts though. I really don't see that being an issue. Idk though haha, guess we will see

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Seriously? Sony is a huge corporation. I doubt this has anything to do with their business in television.

Well the thing is the House of Cards product placement was all playstation stuff, like the stereo headset, vita, and god of war: acsension.

ChaosXVI

Indeed, the product placement in House of Cards for PS stuff is so extreme it took me out of the show a bit when watching it. I felt like the God of War Ascension thing was like 30 full seconds of him playing! Though it was probably less.

I haven't played a CoD game in years and I never was a fan of the series when I did play but dammed if that's not a powerful statement.

Cool trailer.

Tagg9

Fantastic news! Everyone plays Call of Duty for the story first and foremost, and I really think Kevin Costner is going to take it to the next level.

B_Boss

Fantastic news! Everyone plays Call of Duty for the story first and foremost, and I really think Kevin Costner is going to take it to the next level.

You kid right lol? I mean if Costner was in, he too would be amazing but uhh...lol.

prag16

Banned
Need a Frank Underwood kill streak. When you call it in, the enemy team gets undermined by political machinations.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Legit question.

Because people ask, "what system did you get it for?" And the whole thing goes haywire.

CoD2k14 at least has style. They can make a flop one year, then an instant hit the next. Which their name gets slaughtered in the process.

Pain

Banned
So the next COD is still being marketed by Microsoft with that timed DLC and everything? How is that smart? By the time the game releases there will be double the PS4s compared to Xbox One.

Then there's that Titanfall deal which I'm sure everyone involved regrets..

Shouldn't the best-selling platform be getting these kind of deals? Why isn't Sony being more aggressive here?

So the next COD is still being marketed by Microsoft with that timed DLC and everything? How is that smart? By the time the game releases there will be double the PS4s compared to Xbox One.

Shouldn't the best-selling platform be getting these kind of deals? Why isn't Sony being more aggressive here?

Sony have destiny, watch dogs, ac etc
Last gen they had battlefield, FIFA, ac etc

Not every game is going to go exclusive marketing/dlc/deals to Sony, that doesn't make any sense (and would cost Sony a bomb especially when ms are prepared to pay for it too

I understand the timed exclusive dlc thing although i wonder if the 360 version might edge out ps4 version?

I haven't finished reading the final hours if titanfall but it probably wouldn't exist without ms, slightly different situation.

El_Chino

Well CoD has long been associated with Xbox and they still have a marketing deal with Activision for at least a couple more years just like how Watch_Dogs/Destiny has now been associated with the PlayStation 4.

Pain

Banned
Sony have destiny, watch dogs, ac etc
Last gen they had battlefield, FIFA, ac etc

Not every game is going to go exclusive marketing to Sony, that doesn't make any sense (and would cost Sony a bomb)

I understand the timed exclusive dlc thing although i wonder if the 360 version might edge out ps4 version?

I haven't finished reading the final hours if titanfall but it probably wouldn't exist without ms, slightly different situation.
I really couldn't care less about the marketing, the timed DLC is what really bothers me. I can't believe Activision would be happy making the huge PS4 fanbase wait 1 month. Sony should definitely work on at least bringing that down to a week or something...

The declining COD brand being marketed with the declining Xbox brand is a recipe for disaster. If they want the franchise to grow again, they need to partner up with the leader. COD is still the biggest franchise out there. Sony needs to make the COD crowd a priority.

I know you're being facetious, but yes I think a lot of people do play CoD in part for the campaign. I think a $60 MP only CoD would probably not go over too well. Fortunately Activision isn't dumb enough to try; they realize that different people play their games for different reasons.

El_Chino

I really couldn't care less about the marketing, the timed DLC is what really bothers me. I can't believe Activision would be happy making the huge PS4 fanbase wait 1 month. Sony should definitely work on at least bringing that down to a week or something...

The declining COD brand being marketed with the declining Xbox brand is a recipe for disaster. If they want the franchise to grow again, they need to partner up with the leader. COD is still the biggest franchise out there. Sony needs to make the COD crowd a priority.
So let Sony have all the marketing, dlc, etc for gaming's major IPs? Microsoft would never let that happen.

The ps4 is the obvious market leader for next-gen but 360 is still probably going to get the biggest sales of it on there, if not it's not like they will be worlds apart.

It's also not like activision gave ms this deal for free either, ms would have paid for it and the terms are as such. Perhaps activision will try and fix the dlc delay but no-one forced them to sign that deal, I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of the deal that sees activision get xbox live gold sub money.

don't really care much for Spacey, just reminds me of superman returns :(
But regardless of the actor I still liked that teaser.

I want an Idris Elba confirmation though.

Dire

Indeed, the product placement in House of Cards for PS stuff is so extreme it took me out of the show a bit when watching it. I felt like the God of War Ascension thing was like 30 full seconds of him playing! Though it was probably less.

What are you talking about?

Spacey: Hey what's that. Is that a Vita?
Baldy: Yeah... I got one for my kids but it's fun.
Spacey: Oh. I was thinking about getting one. What games do you have?
Baldy: All of them.....

I know you're being facetious, but yes I think a lot of people do play CoD in part for the campaign. I think a $60 MP only CoD would probably not go over too well. Fortunately Activision isn't dumb enough to try; they realize that different people play their games for different reasons.

I'm one of those that loves it for the campaign. I think i've spent maybe 15 minutes with the multiplayer in total for the series. Although i'm probably going to try out the multiplatform demo for Ghosts that's coming out for the PS4 tomorrow.

You know what, just thought about all the Sony product placement in House of cards. Kevin Spacey being in the game indication of Sony getting some sort of advantage on CoD this year?

The advantage Sony will get is having the best version of the game on their console (More than likely imo). Activision and MS will probably be sticking together. It makes sense too, Activision has MS push COD, and Sony pushes Destiny. Win-Win for all parties involved imo.

As for the teaser, Kevin Spacey = Day 1.

"Ideas don't determine who's right."

ok cool

"Power determines who's right."

awesome, I've gleaned all I need to know from this teaser - this is clearly a villain who values actions above all else and -

"And I have the power"

yes okay I kind of gathered that otherwise you probably wouldn't be saying this

"so I'm right"

thank you for explaining why you were saying this axiom

Squire

Banned
A few months ago Hayden Panettiere tweeted a picture of her face with dots all over it. I figured it had to be for a video game (or she said so in the tweet, I honestly can't remember which), but I couldn't guess which one. Maybe it's this...

Salsa

"Ideas don't determine who's right."

ok cool

"Power determines who's right."

awesome, I've gleaned all I need to know from this teaser - this is clearly a villain who values actions above all else and -

"And I have the power"

yes okay I kind of gathered that otherwise you probably wouldn't be saying this

"so I'm right"

thank you for explaining why you were saying this axiom

oh god this was my exact reaction

then came the realization that this is cool for COD and all but at the same time im kinda sad that they probably arrived at it after going "house of cards is really popular so let's kinda do that exact thing with the same guy in it"

Top Bottom