• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Century's Episode R screens

glaurung

Holy shit the new trailer is too awesome.

Will probably put in an import pre-order as soon as this thing is listed at NCSX.

It's only CG, but I like what I see.

And to think that in a generation or two we might have games that actually look like that... Although I'm not sure I'll still be into giant robots when I'm forty. :D

duckroll

Xater said:
And it's never going to be because of the licensing.

Macross is really the only major problem. But because it's still really popular in Japan, it's unlikely there will be a major mecha crossover game without Macross in the near future. Considering how much the industry has expanded outside of Japan, if not for Macross there would actually be a good chance for Bandai Namco to release the game in the US. The other licenses aren't hard to secure.

hteng

Banned
wtf fromsoft, where's my new AC5 trailers... damnit, but that looooks so good~!:D

edit: GODDAMIT MUGEN PUUUUUUUUUUUNCHI!

edit: someone gif that punch scene from 1:09 to 1:15!!!!!

JKTrix

That was pretty hot. I kind of laughed at how Aquarion's Infinite Punch was in almost every scene :lol

Will watch it with sound once I get home...

Xater

duckroll said:
Macross is really the only major problem. But because it's still really popular in Japan, it's unlikely there will be a major mecha crossover game without Macross in the near future. Considering how much the industry has expanded outside of Japan, if not for Macross there would actually be a good chance for Bandai Namco to release the game in the US. The other licenses aren't hard to secure.

Maybe but even then I would have my doubt's. I mean Namco isn't really releaseing any GUndam games outside of Japan either.

duckroll

Xater said:
Maybe but even then I would have my doubt's. I mean Namco isn't really releaseing any GUndam games outside of Japan either.

MS Saga, Crossfire, both Dynasty Warriors Gundam titles. That's a good range in recent years. I was simply pointing out that licensing is not really the problem. Sure, maybe there's a general lack of appeal for mecha games in the US period. That might prevent releases. Anime sales are all down, people who "enjoy" anime stuff tend to pirate a lot, etc. But as far as licensing goes, the main problem is Macross.

Gundam / Mech games in the America (or the west in general) has pretty much died out. There was a surge for a while due to the popularity of Gundam Wing and things like that, but now it seems like only Musou games come out probably because they appeal to two different niches.

PS1 you saw the start of this with the Battle Assault games (changed to reflect the popularity of Wing and then G). Dreamcast had the excellent Gundam Side Story. PS2 had a bevy of Gundam games. Off the top of my head: Journey to Jaburo, Zeonic Front, Encounters in Space, Fed vs Zeon, Gundam vs Zeta Gundam, MS Saga, Battle Assault 3, and I think some SEED games. It's a shame they didn't bring over two of the best games, One Year War on the PS2 and Ace Pilot on the Gamecube. I'm not even including the games that may have had many licenses like the ACE games or Climax UC.

This gen they only brought over that crappy Gundam Crossfire for PS3 and the two Musou games. First, the PS3 only has the Gundam Senki game (I need to import this based on impressions) and 360 has the Mobile Ops Battlefield style game. The Wii has MS Sensen (this I imported, is a great game) and that SD gundam one. Not nearly as many games are being made for the consoles, but the PSP has a crazy amount of Gundam games and not a single one was brought over, even back when the PSP was still popular.

duckroll said:
MS Saga, Crossfire, both Dynasty Warriors Gundam titles. That's a good range in recent years. I was simply pointing out that licensing is not really the problem. Sure, maybe there's a general lack of appeal for mecha games in the US period. That might prevent releases. Anime sales are all down, people who "enjoy" anime stuff tend to pirate a lot, etc. But as far as licensing goes, the main problem is Macross.
Speaking of MS Saga, I want another one of those. The battle system was really fun on top of being able to mix and match mobile suit parts.

duckroll

So I was thinking. That's clearly the opening movie, and there's no Nu Gundam in it. Is CCA going to be an "extra" series like MSG, Turn-A and G-Gundam were in ACE3? What's the point of putting it in then? We've already had the Nu for all the previous games... :/

TreIII

duckroll said:
So I was thinking. That's clearly the opening movie, and there's no Nu Gundam in it. Is CCA going to be an "extra" series like MSG, Turn-A and G-Gundam were in ACE3? What's the point of putting it in then? We've already had the Nu for all the previous games... :/

Maybe, just maybe...! They'll take up your suggestion and use High Nu instead.

They could make it (and Nightingale as a CPU boss...?) the extras that have no other bearing on the storyline. I would not CARE, if it meant me finally being able to take control of Hi-Nu. :D

duckroll

TreIII said:

They could make it (and Nightingale as a CPU boss...?) the extras that have no other bearing on the storyline. I would not CARE, if it meant me finally being able to take control of Hi-Nu. :D

We can hope together, and maybe the gods will find us in their favor.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh my fuck this looks awesome.

OK seriously, that trailer is the coolest thing I have seen all year.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I missed out on the first three ACE games, but I won't make that mistake this time. This game looks fucking incredible.

The music on the site is fantastic, too.

MechaX

Wow. Another spectacular CG trailer from From Software. I know this has been said to death, but these guys really need to make a mecha-related CG movie.

Pretty interesting that Orguss made the cut (as I never noticed it before hand). I haven't seen the series, but the unit itself is pretty badass in SRW Z, so I would love to see more of it in action. Also, since it seems like the Aquarion is going to fit the role in ACE:R the same way the Shin Getter did in ACE3 as the "fucking gigantic mech", I wonder if it'll end up being nearly as broken. As for Geass... They're rolling with the Lancelot as the poster instead of the Guren or the Gawain? Interesting...

Hell, I don't even have a PS3, but when considering that ACE2 sparked my interest in importing games in the first place, I hope that this one turns out pretty good.

duckroll

Some further thoughts:

Lancelot being the headliner makes a lot of sense, especially since this is Code Geass R2. Suzaku is definitely the "hero" in the storyline as opposed to Lelouch.

CCA isn't the only thing missing in the opening and the main poster. Like Bebpo mentioned, Zeta is missing as well, and I noticed today that they're showcasing Macross Frontier as opposed to Macross Zero. This means that we have potentially 8 "main story" series, and 3 "extra" series. What's interesting in both these cases is that Zeta, CCA and Crossbones are all in the same timeline (UC), and Crossbones being the further one in the timeline is the one being showcased. Same with Macross Zero and Macross Frontier, where Frontier is the one furthest in the timeline and so presumably the "present" as far as the story is concerned.

Need... more... details! Hopefully there's a new preview in Famitsu next week! :D

Bebpo

Banned
MechaX said:
Wow. Another spectacular CG trailer from From Software. I know this has been said to death, but these guys really need to make a mecha-related CG movie.

Pretty interesting that Orguss made the cut (as I never noticed it before hand). I haven't seen the series, but the unit itself is pretty badass in SRW Z, so I would love to see more of it in action. Also, since it seems like the Aquarion is going to fit the role in ACE:R the same way the Shin Getter did in ACE3 as the "fucking gigantic mech", I wonder if it'll end up being nearly as broken. As for Geass... They're rolling with the Lancelot as the poster instead of the Guren or the Gawain? Interesting...

Hell, I don't even have a PS3, but when considering that ACE2 sparked my interest in importing games in the first place, I hope that this one turns out pretty good.

I think Lancelot is the poster mech for Geass. I mean there are two main characters in Geass, Lelouche and Suzaku. Lelouche doesn't really pilot mechs most of the time, he's just a lolz guy with a evil eye. Suzaku otoh is a typical mecha pilot who is always piloting and his suit is getting upgraded throughout the show. So yeah, his mech Lancelot was always the main Geass mecha imo.

duckroll

Lancelot is the only mech in Geass featured in almost every single episode of the show. It was the first design shown when the show was first announced, and it is the mech involved in the final battle at the end of the second series. So yeah, there's no question that Lancelot is the main Knightmare Frame for the series. The Gurren is the only other mech which comes close, and I'm sure it'll be the next one unveiled for the game.

Shouta

The Lancelot sequence in the opening is cool.

In fact, I think all the mechs in the opening got great sequences. Aquarion landing had so much impact. D=

Beth Cyra

Well still not exactly happy about Destiny being in but it was cool seeing Destiny tear stuff up but have them show restraint and not over load it with both D and SF. Crossbone looked awesome, and Aquarion's Mugen Punch was badass.

Really can't wait to get it, I just hope it does well enough to get a sequel, am wanting at least one ACE series on PS3 with a cast list I can support.

Beth Cyra

TreIII said:

Sorry for the double post but this shit better not happen. It was cruel and shitty that I could only watch and kill Getter G's and Shin Dragon in ACE III. I would kill someone if I could only look at Nightingale but not use it.

Though I do hope for Hi-Nu

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The new Famitsu is out and seems to have something about this.

There seems to be a red robot with a yellow stomach and stretchy limbs.

xero273

Orguss (Kei)
Orguss II (Olson)
Nikick (Athena)

Zeta Gundam (Kamille)
Hyaku Shiki (Quattro)
Dijeh (Amuro)

Nu Gundam (Amuro)

Crossbone Gundam X1 Kai (Kinkado)
Crossbone Gundam X3 (Tobia)

Destiny Gundam (Shinn)
Strike Freedom Gundam (Kira)
Infinite Justice Gundam (Athrun)

Arbalest (Sousuke)
M9 Gernsback [Mao Custom] (Mao)
M9 Gernsback [Kurz Custom] (Kurz)
Bonta-kun

King Gainer (Gainer)
Dominator (Cynthia)

Lancelot Conquista (Suzaku)
Lancelot Albion (Suzaku)
Guren Flight (Kallen)
Guren SEITEN (Kallen)
Shinkiro (Zero)
Akatsuki Jikisan Type [C.C. Custom] (C.C.)

Solar Aquarion (Apollo)
Aquarion Mars (Sirius)
Aquarion Luna (Sylvia)

VF-0A (Shin)

VF-25F (Alto)
VF-25F Super Pack (Alto)
VF-25F Armored Pack (Alto)
VF-25S (Ozma)
VF-25S Super Pack (Ozma)
VF-25S Armored Pack (Ozma)
VF-25G (Michael)
VF-25G Super Pack (Michael)
RVF-25 (Luca)
RVF-25 Super Pack (Luca)
Queadluun-Rea (Klan)

From gamefaqs.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, they get props for having playable Bonta-kun.

Overall it's a pretty boring list sadly. Hope the gameplay is awesome!

TreIII

At least both Crossbones are in. That's something I'm pleased with, even though the majority of the roster leaves me feeling a bit flat otherwise.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BlazingDarkness said:
there's a new game in famitsu called El Shaddai, art style is awesome.
Looks like an action game from Sawaki Takeyasu (Crim) and Ignition?? That's all I can really make out, what a weird mix though.

TreIII

jj984jj said:
Looks like an action game from Sawaki Takeyasu (Crim) and Ignition?? That's all I can really make out, what a weird mix though.

A lil Google tells me he was also involved in both Devil May Cry and Okami. That's all I got though.

Beth Cyra

Hmm feeling the disappointment all over again from the original annoucnment, probably even more so because now I know they put in at Bonta whatever the fuck it's name was instead of a real suit like fucking Sazabi let alone another series like Turn A or Wing.

Not only that but to only have Solar/Mars/Luna with no assualt type is dumb but would be understandable if they had it so you coud at least switch out Apollo/Sylvia/Serious for Reena/Peire/Reika but to only have those three is freaking step back form Shin Getter when we at least had Ryoma/Hayato/Benkei and the three other cumps to pilot it.

And yes before someone points it out, it has different attacks depending on who is in it, doesn't change the fact it is dumb they aren't there.

Looks like I really am buying this simply in hopes that I will eventually see some mechs that I actually like in future episodes.

Hate to edit a second time but after rereading the list I have to say this.

Where the fuck is The O? I mean really that is some stupid ass shit that Kam/Armuro/Char all made it and yet they left out O?

You know what fine put in Nu Gundam and just let that be his suit for the story and don't waste time on that other crap when you aren't even going to put in something as important O.

WYWY

Official site updated with list of mecha. New mechas added for nearly all series except... CCA's Nu is still strangely absent.

Top Bottom