• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man |OT| Is It Too Late To Change The Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Banned
does Ant-man have the ability to get really big too, or can he only shrink?

Ant-Man
doesn't get bigger than human size in the movie, but the movie does say and show that Pym particles can both shrink and grow things in size, and in fact we see this in the movie's climax and it is actually what saves Scott Lang in the end.

OchreHand

I saw the movie last night. Had a good balance of comedy (Paul Rudd) and the serious (Michael Douglas)

I think the pacing is a little slow in the beginning but that changes midway. Most of the CG was good, I thought.

Both Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas were there for the screening (nyc) which was nice and they were in good spirits.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I saw the movie last night. Had a good balance of comedy (Paul Rudd) and the serious (Michael Douglas)

I think the pacing is a little slow in the beginning but that changes midway. Most of the CG was good, I thought.

Both Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas were there for the screening (nyc) which was nice and they were in good spirits.

So did you enjoy it?

ninjabat

It's depressing how little attention this is getting for a Marvel release :-(

If it hits certified, I think I'll make a review thread

I think lots of reviews will come in closer to friday, with more people seeing the movie. Still its looking at a 60 mil opening which is very good for a debut film. As things stand everything points towards the film being very profitable. So lack of reviews do not seem to be stopping this train.

Joeytj

Banned
Oh yeah,
there's an every so subtle reference to Spider-Man. Falcon is looking for Ant-Man by the end of the movie, and he asks a reporter who is following people with powers all around the world, and she mentions the appearance of a person with the ability to "swing and crawl up walls" nowadays.

Dalek

RT is 77% right now, bruv

HzZmy83.gif

It might actually make it back to 80% at this rate.

That's pretty crazy considering everything this movie had going against it. Like I've said many times, this movie being decent would be a really big win for them. The only problem is that AoU disappointed a lot of people, so this would be the first year for them without a momentum-gaining movie in a long time. Hopefully Civil War will kick things back into high gear.

nynt9

What's with the RT obsession? You guys own Disney stock?

My favorite movie has a 62% on RT. Who cares?

Just like the metacritic people on gaming side, some people live and die by review scores and aggregates. To me it says little about how much I'll enjoy a movie.

Dalek

As others, I just want this movie to perform well so that Marvel feels comfortable taking risks on lesser known properties. I didn't care about the RT for Ultron, but I'm hoping this does well Critically and Financially so we just don't get sequels to popular properties.

The fact that we're getting Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Inhumans though is a good sign.

guek

Banned

It's fun, and it bodes well for its success. In a vacuum, I'd agree, but success within the MCU drastically increases the odds of similar films in the future

guek is going to say it's because Marvel will venture out more from the A-listers but really he just wants to say "LOOK THE CRITICS LIKE IT SO YOUR OPINION IS WRONG" when someone doesn't like the movie. Then he'll say critics don't matter if you do the same to him.

guek

Banned
guek is going to say it's because Marvel will venture out more from the A-listers but really he just wants to say "LOOK THE CRITICS LIKE IT SO YOUR OPINION IS WRONG" when someone doesn't like the movie. Then he'll say critics don't matter if you do the same to him.
When have I said critics don't matter? And when have I said subjective opinions are wrong? That's a pretty big insecure chip you got there on your shoulder, bud.

The only time I bring up critics is when people insist a movie is definitively good or bad contrary to widespread concensus based solely on their own opinion. Critics matter because they help you understand what other people may or may have not liked about a movie and broadens your appreciation of the medium. But by all means, continue to cry like I've been attacking people.

mrkgoo

Would be nice to see where people who have seen it rank it among the other MCU flicks.

Mine would something along the lines of:

Winter soldier
Captain America
Iron-man
avengers
ant-man
Guardians of the galaxy
Avengers age of ultron
Incredible Hulk
Thor
Thor 2
Iron man 2

(Haven't seen iron man 3)

Iron man 2 is the only one I didn't like. I still enjoyed Thor 2

When have I said critics don't matter? And when have I said subjective opinions are wrong? That's a pretty big insecure chip you got there on your shoulder, bud.

The only time I bring up critics is when people insist a movie is definitively good or bad contrary to widespread concensus based solely on their own opinion. Critics matter because they help you understand what other people may or may have not liked about a movie and broadens your appreciation of the medium. But by all means, continue to cry like I've been attacking people.

You have done it though.

Not to me because I would never bring up anything trash critics said about movies. Can't trust a modern "critics" opinion on anything since most of these dudes are nerds that just want to get into movies for free.

guek

Banned
You have done it though.

Not to me because I would never bring up anything trash critics said about movies. Can't trust a modern "critics" opinion on anything since most of these dudes are nerds that just want to get into movies for free.
With who and what movie? I'm genuinely curious since I can't recall what movie I world have said critics don't matter.

Vanish

I dont think I've ever seen a movie's rating on rotten tomatoes actually increase the more reviews it gets. It's actually gone up like 10 points now since it started I think. I always see it the other way, where it starts high and goes lower as more reviews come in. Glad to see it be generally well-received. Anyway, super excited to see it for myself this Saturday.

came back from it, I found it better than avengers 2, the pacing is really good and I was never bored
humor is also less tacky and a bit more mature, also less forced

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished. A complete home-run, one of the best Marvel movies, and incredibly funny.

1. Guardians
2. Iron Man
3. Ant-man

More impressions when I get home.

With who and what movie? I'm genuinely curious since I can't recall what movie I world have said critics don't matter.

It was like once a few months ago. Not sure what movie it was.

Really though I hate when people bring up RT scores. Mostly because I can't stand modern critics. Just reading their reviews makes me realize how much these people don't understand about basic film making techniques.

I dont think I've ever seen a movie's rating on rotten tomatoes actually increase the more reviews it gets. It's actually gone up like 10 points now since it started I think. I always see it the other way, where it starts high and goes lower as more reviews come in. Glad to see it be generally well-received. Anyway, super excited to see it for myself this Saturday.

What?

RT scores usually go like this:

Really low and stays there.
Really high and stays there.
Low and goes up.
High and goes down.

Vanish

Really though I hate when people bring up RT scores. Mostly because I can't stand modern critics. Just reading their reviews makes me realize how much these people don't understand about basic film making techniques.

What?

RT scores usually go like this:

Really low and stays there.
Really high and stays there.
Low and goes up.
High and goes down.

really? I dont pay attention to every movie's rating progress, but when I do, I usually see it end lower than what it started with. but whatever, doesnt really matter. I'll judge for myself when I see the movie.

guek

Banned

Well if you're going to call someone out, the decent thing would be to actually have evidence. It's more likely that you misunderstood what I meant, but now I wont even get the chance to clarify if that's the case. I might as well call you out for having sex with a goat. I think I heard about you doing that once, a few months ago. Not sure what goat.

I get the impression though that you don't like RT scores because you don't know how to refute criticism or how to take it in stride when it clashes with your own views. That seems more likely than you knowing more about film than people whose job is critiquing them (unless you actually are a filmmaker or in the industry in which case forget this entire paragraph).

Speaking of RT though, score is at 78%

eyzQjck.gif

edit: made a small modification to that gif

Can we serve the crow, now?

We should wait until the movie is actually out in wide release. It's unlikely that this will end up rotten, but it looks like it will end up in the decent to good range. Also, the crow eating only works if people were declaring that critics would mostly pan it or worse. There's basically 3 main metrics of a movie's immediate success: how much the general audience enjoyed it, how highly critics rated it, and how much money it made. The first is the hardest to quantify and relies mostly on various audience polls, but is probably the one that is most important to this movie being a success in Marvel's eyes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't pay all that much attention to RT, but I always read AVclub reviews for stuff I'm interested in, so I was pretty pleased to see they liked it overall and gave it a solid B.

Jarmel

Banned
We should wait until the movie is actually out in wide release. It's unlikely that this will end up rotten, but it looks like it will end up in the decent to good range. Also, the crow eating only works if people were declaring that critics would mostly pan it or worse. There's basically 3 main metrics of a movie's immediate success: how much the general audience enjoyed it, how highly critics rated it, and how much money it made. The first is the hardest to quantify and relies mostly on various audience polls, but is probably the one that is most important to this movie being a success in Marvel's eyes.

Pretty much. I need to see the direction to see if it's a huge step below Wright. The movie might turn out alright by its own metric or it might feel like a watered down Wright film.

iirate

IIRC, Speed Racer's RT score has nearly doubled since the film's debut. It was at 18% on the day of the premier, and it's at 39% now. I'm sure there are other cult films with similar shifts.

Neoxon

That's fair. So we still need to get the other 2/3 pieces of the success puzzle before we serve the crow.

Jarmel

Banned
That's fair. So we still need to get the other 2/3 pieces of the success puzzle before we serve the crow.

I suppose you could have a thread on people saying it was going to be 'Rotten' but a lot of people were interested in Wright's visual direction and we don't know if Peyton matched that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom