• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man rewrite scribes join Transformers Cinematic Universe writers room

Status
Not open for further replies.

E the Shaggy

Andrew Barrer & Gabriel Ferrari, who spent half a year doing the production rewriting on Marvel’s Ant-Man, have become the latest to join the Writer’s Room that Paramount Pictures and director Michael Bay have organized to hatch sequels, prequels and spinoffs on their billion dollar Transformers franchise. I’m hearing that one of the ideas in the works has a working title of Transformers One, and that it is more or less an origins story that takes place on Cybertron, the planet where the good guy and bad guy robots hail from. Those talks originated with rights holder Hasbro. I’d also heard that this might be an animated feature, but that Barrer & Ferrari are also going to the writer’s room with the expectation they’ll write a live action Transformers movie, as well. Paramount insiders said that they haven’t gotten that far on the specific projects, but I am told this is the plan. A Cybertron movie sounds like fertile ground for a feature, to me.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/transformers-ant-man-andrew-barrer-gabriel-ferrari-cybertron-1201433402/

I'm all for a Transformers shared universe but they need to get Michael Bay away from the franchise which sadly isn't going to happen.

guek

Banned
A Transformers movie on Cybertron?

Without humans?

fTozsnE.gif

As others have said though, Bay is still a deal breaker

Slayven

If they do a shared universe they should make M.A.S.K's origin is they reverse engineered transforming tech from the corpse of transformers.

ZeroGravity

Whether people like to admit it or not, grounding the franchise with a focus on human characters is what sold the original movie. It would have been a huge flop otherwise.

I'm all for them taking it out in different directions now.

Salsa

great

make just EVERYTHING some shifty exploding metal

2 and a half hours of not knowing what's up and what's down

J10

Banned
If they do a shared universe they should make M.A.S.K's origin is they reverse engineered transforming tech from the corpse of transformers.

Nah. A shared universe should feature the GI Joes and He-Man and Thundercats. Or Transformers Vs. Voltron.

dcelw540

I'm all for a Transformers shared universe but they need to get Michael Bay away from the franchise which sadly isn't going to happen.

While I understand the mentally, I will miss Michael Bay for the action. He may be shit at story, characters and humour one thing I will always praise is his action scenes. My god they are amazing.

cirrhosis

They should have James Roberts write the screenplay instead. Helm it with a competent director and this could actually be good.

but then nobody would watch it

I can already see it now, every single building has useless gears and pistons and such moving all the time.

Just a giant orgy of machine parts all over the screen.

Renegade Yeti

Neo Member
Nope not falling for it this time , Michael bay pulls this shit Everytime with promises of how how different it will be drawing everybody in with cool trailers/promos, age of extinction made me feel like my brain was going to hemorrhage

Performance capture on partial sets, Andy Serkis as Megatron, directed by Frank Darabont/Darren Aronofsky/George Miller or whatever.

Boom, I'm waiting for my check.

Circinus

I watched the first part of Transformers: Age of Extinction recently. Wasn't that bad actually. Was pretty okay for a dumb popcorn flick.

Definitely not the first choice as a film to watch in theaters though.

Maximus.

Jeez I don't think I want to see this in its current incarnation. How the fuck will we fell apart anything with the character and world design?

I'd love to see it be a prequel, Especially if it focuses on Optimus before he became a Prime, reluctant hero stories always hook me.

Could simultaneously focus on Megatron's early days as a slave/gladiator/revolutionary.

jelly

I wish they would just reboot it and design the transformers better, get rid of Michael Bay for someone who can do engaging action.

Cypher

How is it that fucking hard to form a Hasbro Cinematic Universe that combines Transformers and G.I. Joe!?

NotLiquid

I was under the impression that Wahlberg was already signed for the fifth installment.

Which would be kinda odd regardless since Age of Extinction ends on a weird note to allow Earth to hold significance for followups.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just imagine Bay's Transformers fighting and strolling around Cybertron, you wouldn't be able to tell them apart from the surroundings

mreddie

Doubt it, Marky Mark is already locked for another one and I doubt Paramount is gonna throw him to the wayside.

The series as a whole has been pretty bleh for me, but if someday we get a live action/big budget CG version of the animated movie where Unicron is attacking earth, then the franchise might not have been a total waste.

I like the idea of no humans, but really, is it much of a change. Sure, a lot of the idiot humans will be gone, but what about the idiot Autobots(Skids/Mudflap and potentially others like them)? If anything, the character writing and the sophomoric humor were two of the big gripes I had with the franchise. Majority of the characters were unlikable and no effort was ever really made to make you give a damn about them. The humor revolved around stupid shit, penis/scrotum/poopoo/peepee jokes. I know people say, "But hey, it's just a stupid movie based on a toy line!", like that's an excuse. The cartoons(and hell, the cartoon movie) managed to write the characters(both Transformers AND humans) far better than any of the live action movies did and that was just a "cartoon based on a toyline". Y'know, you can actually get writers that give a damn about crafting an engaging story and developing interesting characters, even the source material are toys. To me, there is no excuse at all and there is no justification in crap writing.

Not to mention, this is Michael Bay. You're going to have to convince me HARD that he won't worm so sort of human force, mainly the US military, into the movie.

G-Fex

I like the idea of no humans, but really, is it much of a change. Sure, a lot of the idiot humans will be gone, but what about the idiot Autobots(Skids/Mudflap and potentially others like them)? If anything, the character writing and the sophomoric humor were two of the big gripes I had with the franchise. Majority of the characters were unlikable and no effort was ever really made to make you give a damn about them. The humor revolved around stupid shit, penis/scrotum/poopoo/peepee jokes. I know people say, "But hey, it's just a stupid movie based on a toy line!", like that's an excuse. The cartoons(and hell, the cartoon movie) managed to write the characters(both Transformers AND humans) far better than any of the live action movies did.

Not to mention, this is Michael Bay. You're going to have to convince me HARD that he won't worm so sort of human force, mainly the US military, into the movie.

It's all very tainted, a very tainted franchise.

No one seems to recall the transformers themselves are awful stupid characters in these movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom