• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Mackie on MCU Crossover with Marvel TV: "It Wouldn't Work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know I have to admit I love how Diamondback and his suit look. I honestly do.

Because it's perfect for the tone of the character and where his gear comes from: he's ham-fisted with a ludicrously inflated sense of his own importance, and the suit is from Justin Hammer. It's exactly the kind of goofy rip-off of Tony Stark design that Hammer would draft.

Fades

Banned
I view Diamondback's costume as an unfortunate but necessary evil, because his comic costume was ugly as sin to begin with, and Netflix probably would have been criticized for not at least trying to move his "iconic" look into live action. And yeah that goofy shit is totally Hammer's style.

I dont understand Diamondback costume hate.
Of course it looks goofy and theres nothing wrong with that. It's like the Mass Effect threads on gaming side. A character not being a 10/10 modelesque beauty isnt a design flaw, Diamondbacks mentally deranged costume isnt poorly designed for his character

I see it two ways, after avengers the mcu split into two time lines, one where the avengers continued to remain active (main mcu) and agents of shield takes place. Then one where they dispersed for good and retired (the neflix timeline) as of right now its literally the only logical thing i can think of. The real reason is perlmutter and feige hate eachother.

I dont understand Diamondback costume hate.
Of course it looks goofy and theres nothing wrong with that. It's like the Mass Effect threads on gaming side. A character not being a 10/10 modelesque beauty isnt a design flaw, Diamondbacks mentally deranged costume isnt poorly designed for his character
My bigger problem with it was just that it existed. I'm not familiar with the source material, so a criminal apparently just being able to conjure up a super suit on extremely short notice seemed like something that deserved some more explanation.
paragonpro said:
I see it two ways, after avengers the mcu split into two time lines, one where the avengers continued to remain active (main mcu) and agents of shield takes place. Then one where they dispersed for good and retired (the neflix timeline) as of right now its literally the only logical thing i can think of. The real reason is perlmutter and feige hate eachother.
Huh? What would give you that impression about the Netflix shows? I mean, I assume Bruce Willis still exists in the MCU even though they don't mention what he's up to all the time.

Fades

Banned
My bigger problem with it was just that it existed. I'm not familiar with the source material, so a criminal apparently just being able to conjure up a super suit on extremely short notice seemed like something that deserved some more explanation.

He got his suit from Justin Hammer, same as the Judas bullets. It is explained but I agree that it probably should have received more than two quick lines of explanation. His suit in the comics was nothing special though, he...just dressed like a snake for little reason with a snakeskin jacket and the same ribbed sweater underneath.

12UyZfe.png

ZeoVGM

Banned
I have absolutely zero issue with Diamondback or his costume.

Sometimes over the top cheese works and it does for me in the case of Diamondback. I enjoyed the tonal change in Luke Cage.

mm04

The Punisher is too much of a bad-ass to ever be in a popcorn flick Marvel movie. Honestly, Jon Bernthal's Frank Castle was more intimidating than anyone I've ever seen on the MCU.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The worst part about this costume is that we had already had this over in Arrow:

arrow_season4_diggle.png

Which everyone knew was awful, and it's like the Luke Cage showrunners thought "how can we make it look even worse?"

I think the intent is different. While I haven't seen Arrow yet, from what I know about that design, it wasn't worn by a cheeseball character.

Diamondback is not a serious character. He's purposefully over the top and I think the costume works. I think we're supposed to laugh at it. I don't think we're supposed to laugh at that helmet on Arrow.

LionPride

Banned
The Punisher is too much of a bad-ass to ever be in a popcorn flick Marvel movie. Honestly, Jon Bernthal's Frank Castle was more intimidating than anyone I've ever seen on the MCU.
The Punisher kills the mafia then cries in his van down by the river because he can't cope

ZeoVGM

Banned
I can't wait for The Defenders and The Punisher to come out and get Netflix Marvel back on track. They're both going to be so good.

Different universes, different worlds, different companies, different designs

It is the same universe. Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It is the same world. So many things happen in NYC.

It is the same company. Disney --> Marvel ---> Marvel Studios / Marvel TV

It is the same design. Daredevil wears a fucking costume, just like Spiderman does.

NandoGip

I hope he's wrong and I hope that there is even a tiny connection one day, just for the fact that the netflix heroes have so many amazing moments in the comics with the movie heroes.

So far i've seen everything except:

Dr Strange
Second half of Luke Cage
Second half of Iron Fist
Only watched first half of first season of AoS

Does AoS get better at a point or is it pretty much a typical cable TV action show for the entirety of the series?

in DD, they made references to the New York incident from Avengers.

In
Luke Cage
, they indirectly bring up
Civil War's Sokovya Accord
for the police to get authorized gear to apprehend a
Super Human
on the run

LionPride

Banned
I hope he's wrong and I hope that there is even a tiny connection one day, just for the fact that the netflix heroes have so many amazing moments in the comics with the movie heroes.

So far on my life i've seen everything except:

Dr Strange
Second half of Luke Cage
Second half of Iron Fist

Does AoS get better at a point or is it pretty much a typical cable TV action show for the entirety of the series?
SHIELD is the best comic book show, all time. I mean that.

So far on my life i've seen everything except:

Dr Strange
Second half of Luke Cage
Second half of Iron Fist

Oh man, the second half of S1, S2 and S4 are all serious 9/10s in my book. S3 is like an 8/10.

The show is seriously worth watching, it's a shame the cheesy beginnings turn so many people away

bengraven

Should be clarified: the AoS/AC shows are the same universe: a movie goer familiar with basic local channels would recognize Colson but have no idea who Daredevil was in a movie.

Fades

Banned
Season two of AoS is solid, three is middling-to-decent, and while I have yet to see season four, I frequently see it referred to as the best the show has ever been, so I'd say it definitely gets better.

Irony is that a lot of the Marvel productions look cheapily made (Avengers 1 & 2 especially) with bad tv style special effects that look cheap.

Fades

Banned
Did we actually make it five pages into a thread before someone said that Marvel movies look like TV shows? What a time to be alive.

Fades

Banned
The first two Avengers films do have some colour grading issues that can look slightly off at times and can affect CGI appearance, and Joss Whedon's writing and directorial style lends itself better to television than film for the most part. But saying they look like TV shows is just wrong.

It is the same universe. Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It is the same world. So many things happen in NYC.

It is the same company. Disney --> Marvel ---> Marvel Studios / Marvel TV

It is the same design. Daredevil wears a fucking costume, just like Spiderman does.
In 5 years the TV shows have had received no acknowledgement in the MCU, with the chances of anything changing only dropping over time, the Netflix and ABC spheres have functionally no connection, and all three spheres vary wildly in terms of tone and style.

They're literally only in the same universe because some execs occasionally say they are, except for all the times where they also didn't commit to it outright, and some extremely forced references one-sided that half the time are really just advertising for the latest movie. The Winter Soldier connection is still the biggest one and it was a glorified marketing stunt. They literally ended the first part of the "cross-over" with a "scene" that was just a film clip.

ZeoVGM

Banned
In 5 years the TV shows have had received no acknowledgement in the MCU, with the chances of anything changing only dropping over time, the Netflix and ABC spheres have functionally no connection, and all three spheres vary wildly in terms of tone and style.

They're literally only in the same universe because some execs occasionally say they are, except for all the times where they also didn't commit to it outright, and some extremely forced references one-sided that half the time are really just advertising for the latest movie.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.

It is the same universe. This is a statement of fact. No, the movies and TV shows aren't crossing over. That doesn't change that they're in the same universe.

And as has been explained multiple times in this thread, they do not vary "wildly" in terms of tone and style. The TV shows are darker than the movies, obviously. But it doesn't matter. It has zero impact on whether or not we see Daredevil in Infinity War.

The Winter Soldier connection is still the biggest one and it was a glorified marketing stunt. They literally ended the first part of the "cross-over" with a "scene" that was just a film clip.

No they didn't. ABC showed a clip from the movie as a promotion. That wasn't part of the episode. It's not on the show on Netflix, Blu-ray or syndication.

That was also not marketed as "crossover' at any point, by the way. It was never meant to be more than Winter Soldier impacting the TV show. And it ended with Sam Jackson having an important role in the season finale, so it's disingenuous to talk about a movie clip that ABC showed but ignore that.

ZeoVGM

Banned
High praise. I'll put it back on my watch list

Definitely do this! Let me give you a quick rundown of what to expect. I'll copy and paste something I sent to a friend when they asked me what she should know when starting it.)

Season 1: The first half is very rough but works fine in a marathon. It starts getting a lot better after the mid-season finale and really kicks in when Winter Soldier releases and the show becomes serialized for the rest of the series.

Movie notes:
- Thor: The Dark World takes place right before episode 8, "The Well"
- Winter Solider released between episodes 16 and 17, "End of the Beginning" and "Turn, Turn, Turn." (The movie basically takes place during the two episodes.)

Season 2: This is when the show not only becomes truly great but also becomes, in my opinion, one of the best paced shows on television.

Movie notes:
- Age of Ultron takes place between episodes 19 and 20, "The Dirty Half Dozen" and "Scars."

Season 3: The first half is great. It's fast-paced and has a couple of the best episodes of the series. The second half is a bit uneven at times but it

Movie notes:
- Civil War takes place before episode 20, "Emancipation."

Season 4: Simply put, the best season of Marvel TV and one of my favorite pieces of media in the MCU. The first third deals with Ghost Rider, who they manage to do to perfection, which is an idea that would be laughed at if someone said it during the first season. The next section of the season somehow manages to get even better, even without Ghost Rider, and ends with the absolute best episode of the series.

And whatever you do, if anyone on GAF suggests to skip episodes, don't. There is tremendous payoff to watching the mediocre first half of of season 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom