• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Trump protest erupts in Albuquerque downtown, NM after Trump held an event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jharp

Went to ABQ on a roadtrip through the Southwest back in March on the way from Flagstaff to Santa Fe.

Man that place blows. Looked like a riot had already happened there and no one cared.

Golden Pride got them bomb ass breakfast burritos, though.

Drek

I'd be willing to bet this is exactly why Trump held a rally in New Mexico.

His entire platform is one of hate. Hate needs fuel and with this he and Fox News just topped off the tank.

Amir0x

Banned
A very poor way to protest. You can't fight hatred with this kind of stuff. Hopefully the groups behind these protests start doing things differently.

For the record, yes you can, it has been done before, and to varying degrees of success. In fact studies have been done before on just how effective violent action is at achieving its goals, and it showed that it was effective at least 26% of the time - more than 1 in 4. Just because it turns your stomach does not mean we get to rewrite history. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. The level of effectiveness depends on the context.

They would have been much more impactfull if none of themy said a word and simply stood in solidarity w protest signs doing the work. At least that way the many photos taken would have written documentation of what exactly they're protesting against.

People need to be hit over the head with knowledge, not fucking rocks.

Mr. X

See I want to make a fun of voting and how well it's worked out for minorities but I'm sure I'll get a they didn't vote hard enough or something.

Hip Hop

Oh, only one side can be shameful. Understood.

So "protesting" while throwing rocks and bottles at police and lighting fires is fine in your eyes? Okie-dokie.

Both sides are acting like fucks.

pretty much.

The anti-Trump are acting more so than Trump supporters at the moment or whenever these things go down.

They would have been much more impactfull if none of themy said a word and simply stood in solidarity w protest signs doing the work. At least that way the many photos taken would have written documentation of what exactly they're protesting against.

People need to be hit over the head with knowledge, not fucking rocks.

Maybe people could all just stay home and think real hard about how bad Trump is, maybe their collective thought will manifest itself in some useful way.

There is absolutely no reason to expect a complete lack of violence during a public demonstration opposing the rising influence of white nationalists in America in 2016. None.

pretty much.

The anti-Trump are acting more so than Trump supporters at the moment or whenever these things go down.

Ridiculous.

Kiraly

I've never understood why police use horses for riots.

Either they are going to get hurt, or someone is going to get hurt by the horse. They are big, powerful animals and panic easily. I realize police horses are probably trained really well, but they are still herd animals and it still seems like it's asking for trouble

Horses are immensely useful for crowd control. They are intimidating and give an officer a good view over the situation. Added bonus is they are probably trained to take a few hits.

Audioboxer

Horses are immensely useful for crowd control. They are intimidating and give an officer a good view over the situation. Added bonus is they are probably trained to take a few hits.

Yeah I understand why, but I will say anyone hitting a horse can drink a big cup of asshole from me. No tolerance for animal abuse.

As for this as much as I dislike Trump I myself would never protest via destruction so I cannot have any empathy for those that do. Just my way of thinking. Allow your voice to be heard and your vote to count but don't be a dick about it by destroying things.

Vade

Trump is also proud of ABQ, for all the advertising footage they just gave him.

Free advertising, protestors rioters, can continue hitting the other side with 'no one riots at your rallies, because my supporters are above that. Destroying/damaging local property leaving the bill to local residents when you get on your protest bus and Trump leaves 4 hours later does not help your cause.

All of this just fuels Trump more and more, similar to the Washington Post trying to dig new dirt on Trump about his Exs and it blowing up in their faces.

You beat him by ignoring him and forcing him to roll far past the line of no return to get that media attention back. It is actually asinine to think acting in this manner will hurt Trump.

pretty much.

Well, imagine if a white nationalist GOP frontrunner endorsed by KKK painted an entire group of people of which you're part of as rapists and criminals. Now imagine that guy coming to your town where there is a majority of your group's population. It's a tinderbox waiting to be lighted. And that's what happened last night. I would sure as hell protest, but I won't be engaging in violence. I can't speak for others, but I understand why they're getting emotional and carried away.

Trump supporters have no reason to get violent other than get into fisticuffs with individual protestors. It's not a 1:1 situation.

Proud of this? It is fucking shameful. This is not protesting, it is rioting.

Every fucking time.

People need to realize that whenever you have a large scale protest there's always going to be that violent element. People are always going to take advantage of the situation to be scumbags. This has happened every time we've had a thread about protests.

What you guys need to understand is that the people doing the violence are a small minority and shouldn't reflect badly on the protesters at large who were mostly peaceful.

Gattsu25

Banned
Who's always disrupting these events?

do these things ever go down at a Bernie or Hillary rally?

Has Bernie ever threatened to ban an entire group of people from entering the country?
Has Bernie ever claimed that Mexican immigrants are criminals and rapists?
Has Bernie ever selected a known white supremacist as one of his delegates?
Has Bernie ever feigned ignorance over whether or not he recognized someone as the former leader of a hate group?

This may be a shock to you but some people find this unprecedented behavior (for a presidential presumptive nominee) shocking.

Who's always disrupting these events?

do these things ever go down at a Bernie or Hillary rally?

Are you equating the two sides?

Lets try this: theoretical scenario, imagine one side is pro-rape, the other side is against rape. Rapists show up at your town to rally their cause, promoting rape. The people in your town that don't appreciate that shit show up and protest- it gets heated and some violence occurs. Of course violence occurs, they're demonstrating just how offensive the pro-rape people are- that message cannot be sent without some level of intensity, and violence naturally occurs. That's human nature. Now imagine anti-rape groups rallying in your town. The pro-rape people aren't showing up at that, they're just happy that they have a pro-rape celebrity on TV all of the time legitimizing their cause. There is nothing for them to gain by protesting the anti-rape rally, it makes no sense for them to do that.

Slayven

Has Bernie ever threatened to ban an entire group of people from entering the country?
Has Bernie ever claimed that Mexican immigrants are criminals and rapists?
Has Bernie ever selected a known white supremacist as one of his delegates?

This may be a shock to you but some people find this unprecedented behavior (for a presidential presumptive nominee) shocking.

To add neither Bernie or Hillary said they would put women in jail for abortions
Threaten to torture and kill the families of terrorists.

no matter how shitty Trump's words are, never raise your hand to strike anyone.

Fight words with words. Fight signs with signs

but never ever use violence

WTF is this shit about throwing rocks while covering your mouth with a headscarf? what is this Paleistine? GTFO of here.

Keep it civil

go and fuckin' vote in November

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
heres-how-tom-hardy-perfected-banes-voice-in-the-dark-knight-rises.jpg

hXNOLTKC.jpg

The fire is rising!

StayDead

I've never understood why police use horses for riots.

Either they are going to get hurt, or someone is going to get hurt by the horse. They are big, powerful animals and panic easily. I realize police horses are probably trained really well, but they are still herd animals and it still seems like it's asking for trouble

I think they use them purely for the fact they're powerful. I think the idea is it's supposed to make people more afraid of the police and less likely to try anything, although it doesn't work.

I can't help but eye roll at all the people saying, 'Keep it civil'. I don't agree with the vandalism but I'm happy people are actually fighting for something in this country for a fucking change. How often do we see countries around the world protesting and fighting for their rights, meanwhile, here in America we sit at home and complain on Facebook as our government fucks us over.

Slayven

Trump is a violent white supremacist running on a violent white supremacist ticket and folks are mad and scared. Cause they lives and families are being threaten.

Don't have to agree with the violence but you can understand where they coming from.

Trump is a violent white supremacist running on a violent white supremacist ticket and folks are mad and scared. Cause they lives and families are being threaten.

Don't have to agree with the violence but you can understand where they coming from.
Just use words to tell Trumps people they are bad.

Salz01

I don't think you understand the meaning of 'Violent'.

Christopher

no matter how shitty Trump's words are, never raise your hand to strike anyone.

Fight words with words. Fight signs with signs

but never ever use violence

WTF is this shit about throwing rocks while covering your mouth with a headscarf? what is this Paleistine? GTFO of here.

Keep it civil

go and fuckin' vote in November

Great post sums up exactly what I think...no ones destroying trumps property...throwing rocks and bottles at horses how the FUCK does that make sense...

Makai

America was built on protests.
America was built on a lot of things I hope we're not proud of.

I'm coming around to the idea that these protests boost Trump's support. If there's any merit to the theory that latent authoritarians become activated by perceived threats to order, we can probably bet on it. "Law and order" was once an effective campaign plank.

Slayven

I don't think you understand the meaning of 'Violent'.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-protester-id-like-to-punch-him-in-the-face/

“The guards are very gentle with him. He’s walking out, like, big high-fives, smiling, laughing,” Trump continued, before saying to loud cheers: “I’d like to punch him in the face, I tell ya.”

The incident was the latest in a string of controversial comments by Trump regarding protesters at his rallies. In November, after a Black Lives Matter protester was beaten and choked after disrupting a rally, Trump appeared to condone the rough treatment.

“Maybe he should have been roughed up, because it was absolutely disgusting what he was doing,” he said on Fox News at the time.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/trump-campaign-manager-charged-with-simple-battery/

Donald Trump's campaign manager Corey Lewandowski was arrested and charged in Jupiter, Florida, with simple battery of former Breitbart reporter Michelle Fields, according to police.

Sound like some thugs to me

America was built on a lot of things I hope we're not proud of.

I'm coming around to the idea that these protests boost Trump's support. If there's any merit to the theory that latent authoritarians become activated by perceived threats to order, we can probably bet on it. "Law and order" was once an effective campaign plank.

People keep saying this but provide no proof to back this up. These protests aren't going to make anyone who dislikes Trump vote for him, even if they do disagree with the protests. Also there's been plenty of violence at Trump rallys as well so anyone who likes order won't find Trump appealing in that regard either.

Yea rioting, causing destruction.... Something to be proud of. Okay.... ��

Sigh...

Every fucking time.

People need to realize that whenever you have a large scale protest there's always going to be that violent element. People are always going to take advantage of the situation to be scumbags. This has happened every time we've had a thread about protests.

What you guys need to understand is that the people doing the violence are a small minority and shouldn't reflect badly on the protesters at large who were mostly peaceful.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If I saw them throw rocks at a horse ID annihilate them. Fight the horse with your fists, no advantages, you cowards.

People keep saying this but provide no proof to back this up. These protests aren't going to make anyone who dislikes Trump vote for him, even if they do disagree with the protests. Also there's been plenty of violence at Trump rallys as well so anyone who likes order won't find Trump appealing in that regard either.

Sigh...
As a Centrist person. Seeing shit like this makes me veer Right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom