• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Trump protest erupts in Albuquerque downtown, NM after Trump held an event

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

Got to blame Trump for this one. All he does is fan the flames. You have his own supporters punching people in the face, kicking them on the ground, yelling to light them on fire. Not to mention he himself has said he wants to punch people in the face, and hope they leave the area in a stretcher.

Violence is not the answer, but with Trump at the helm, its pretty hard to picture none at his gatherings.

As a Centrist person. Seeing shit like this makes me veer Right

Yeah dude you're full of shit...

1. From your past posts I think you probably were already on the right.

2. Like I said in the very quote you posted there has been a ton of violence at trump rallys, so violence on the left is bad, but violence from the right is acceptable to you?

3. None of the major left wing candidates have endorsed any of these protests and IIRC Hilary even condemned the violence at the last one. So I don't see why your thoughts on these protesters should have any barring on who you choose to vote.

Makai

People keep saying this but provide no proof to back this up. These protests aren't going to make anyone who dislikes Trump vote for him, even if they do disagree with the protests. Also there's been plenty of violence at Trump rallys as well so anyone who likes order won't find Trump appealing in that regard either.
Read the article. Perceived threats of violence makes people move to the right-wing party.

Read the article. Perceived threats of violence makes people move to the right-wing party.

EDit: nvm I thought you were talking about the CNN article.

Also like Is aid there was plenty of violence at Trump rallys so I don't see why people who hate order would switch over to him.

Don't protesters understand that this only helps Trump?

It doesn't hurt him in the slightest.

No it doesn't.

Makai

I read the article did you? I don't see where it says that. Also like Is aid there was plenty of violence at Trump rallys so I don't see why people who hate order would switch over to him.
Their book concluded that the GOP, by positioning itself as the party of traditional values and law and order, had unknowingly attracted what would turn out to be a vast and previously bipartisan population of Americans with authoritarian tendencies.

This trend had been accelerated in recent years by demographic and economic changes such as immigration, which "activated" authoritarian tendencies, leading many Americans to seek out a strongman leader who would preserve a status quo they feel is under threat and impose order on a world they perceive as increasingly alien.

Their book concluded that the GOP, by positioning itself as the party of traditional values and law and order, had unknowingly attracted what would turn out to be a vast and previously bipartisan population of Americans with authoritarian tendencies.

This trend had been accelerated in recent years by demographic and economic changes such as immigration, which "activated" authoritarian tendencies, leading many Americans to seek out a strongman leader who would preserve a status quo they feel is under threat and impose order on a world they perceive as increasingly alien.

Yeah see my edit.

But I still don't see why this benefits Trump. This seems in reference to the GOP in general. In this election cycle, Trump is anomaly and has pushed away many would be GOP supporters. I think he's hit his plateau at this point. I doubt anyone is left on fence.

Slayven

Then like most self-proclaimed centrists, you're just a Republican who is too embarrassed by the label to own it?

The old "Both sides are wrong, but I think one side is more wrong and won't say it because i fear being called out"

The old "Both sides are wrong, but I think one side is more wrong and won't say it because i fear being called out"

And here you guys are calling him out. Lol. If the guy wants to keep his party affiliation private, who are we to out him? I vote republican, btw. These last few cycles have been pretty rough on us righties. :p

And here you guys are calling him out. Lol. If the guy wants to keep his party affiliation private, who are we to out him? I vote republican, btw. These last few cycles have been pretty rough on us righties. :p

No one outed him, he outed himself by trying to peddle that, "i'm a centrist" in order to prove a point and it blew up in his face.

Slayven

There is a cap on the angry white vote, Mitt Romney hit it hard, and it has only gone down since then

I applaud and respect you, at least you are honest. Instead of being "the scary brown people are turning me against them because....reasons"

Makai

Yeah see my edit.

But I still don't see why this benefits Trump. This seems in reference to the GOP in general. In this election cycle, Trump is anomaly and has pushed away many would be GOP supporters. I think he's hit his plateau at this point. I doubt anyone is left on fence.
It's a good article and explains the Trump rise pretty well, I think. Trump is different because he boils everything down to stuff like

"we're going to win and win and win"
"I'll make a great deal"
"get em out of here."

They don't care about wonky shit like balancing the budget. They don't even have specific fears - they want to be told what to fear by a boss archetype who will get in there and "straighten things out." This rings totally true with Trump's apparent ability to propose anything with no consequences with his base.

It's a good article and explains the Trump rise pretty well, I think. Trump is different because he boils everything down to stuff like

"we're going to win and win and win"
"I'll make a great deal"
"get em out of here."

They don't care about wonky shit like balancing the budget. They don't even have specific fears - they want to be told what to fear by a boss archetype who will get in there and "straighten things out." This rings totally true with Trump's apparent ability to propose anything with no consequences with his base.

Yeah this explains his rise and how he's gotten so popular so far, but again the amount of people this will work on is limited, and most of them are already voting for him. He's alienating too many groups (women, LGBT, Blacks, hispanics, muslims, etc...) all key demographics that are needed to win the GE. His populist rhetoric won't work on those people so he's screwed.

Eidan

A centrist says that riots against a racist presidential candidate moves them closer to the ideology of the racist presidential candidate. We didn't out anyone.

They hypocriticism here is astouding. This behavior shouldn't be condoned no matter what political party it supports. There is nothing okay about this. Its like these morons don't realize that shit like this makes them look just as bad as some of trumps stupid supporters.

A centrist says that riots against a racist presidential candidate moves them closer to the ideology of the racist presidential candidate. We didn't out anyone.
I have zero evidence beyond anecdotal, but Ive heard a number of "independents" claim the Trumplash is pushing them to vote republican in November.

The user could absolutely be a "centrist" swayed by whatever issue he/she feels is most important to them at the time.

Eidan

They hypocriticism here is astouding. This behavior shouldn't be condoned no matter what political party it supports. There is nothing okay about this. Its like these morons don't realize that shit like this makes them look just as bad as some of trumps stupid supporters.

I think riots are an unfortunate consequence of larger problems. Instead of finger wagging rioters, I think it's more productive to look at what caused the rioting.

Amory

Protesting Trump is a good thing to do.

Rioting and fucking up public property is not only a shitty thing to do, but it's counterproductive and just gives Trump/Fox News something to point at and say see? Look at these people!

Eidan

I have zero evidence beyond anecdotal, but Ive heard a number of "independents" claim the Trumplash is pushing them to vote republican in November.

The user could absolutely be a "centrist" swayed by whatever issue he/she feels is most important to them at the time.

A true centrist would find nothing worth voting for in the modern Republican party, let alone Donald fucking Trump as their president. I'd tell those "independents" to do some serious self-reflection and accept what they really are.

Slayven

A true centrist would find nothing worth voting for in the modern Republican party, let alone Donald fucking Trump as their president. I'd tell those "independents" to do some serious self-reflection and accept what they really are.

He has no policy other than banning Muslism and building a wall

Eidan

He has no policy other than banning Muslism and building a wall

One awesome thing is that with the Trump candidacy, there's no longer a need to sugar coat language towards Republicans about the politicians they choose to represent them. This isn't a McCain or Romney. With Trump, you are supporting an out and out bigot, and you'll earn all the contempt you get for doing so.

Then like most self-proclaimed centrists, you're just a Republican who is too embarrassed by the label to own it?

Yeah dude you're full of shit...

1. From your past posts I think you probably were already on the right.

2. Like I said in the very quote you posted there has been a ton of violence at trump rallys, so violence on the left is bad, but violence from the right is acceptable to you?

3. None of the major left wing candidates have endorsed any of these protests and IIRC Hilary even condemned the violence at the last one. So I don't see why your thoughts on these protesters should have any barring on who you choose to vote.

for the far Lefty anarcho Left fringes, everyone else is considered right wing

pffffffffff

Violence is unacceptable in civil society

go vote

Slayven

One awesome thing is that with the Trump candidacy, there's no longer a need to sugar coat language towards Republicans about the politicians they choose to represent them. This isn't a McCain or Romney. With Trump, you are supporting an out and out bigot, and you'll earn all the contempt you get for doing so.

Exactly, you can't hide behind "I like his foreign policy or economic policy", the bigotry and hate is all there is, and tells you right there what the person reall is about if they say "I am voting for trump"

Shiiiiitttt even David Duke knew how to dance around it a bit.

Eidan

pffffffffff

go vote

For anyone who has given American politics even a cursory level of attention at any point in the past 50 years, the Republican Party is a far right party.

pffffffffff

go vote

Yet you'd vote for someone who has had numerous violent outbreaks from his rallys? Violence is unacceptable sometimes... according to you.

Like how you didn't address any of my points too.

Ponn

Banned
For the record, yes you can, it has been done before, and to varying degrees of success. In fact studies have been done before on just how effective violent action is at achieving its goals, and it showed that it was effective at least 26% of the time - more than 1 in 4. Just because it turns your stomach does not mean we get to rewrite history. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. The level of effectiveness depends on the context.

While i agree there is a time and place for violence and revolution, I just dont see a Trump presidential rally being it. This is our electoral process, its how we elect our president. This type of violence undermines that process of voting, a process already set up to allow the protesters to voice their dissent for a candidate. Trump and the Republicans are going to use this big time and gain voters, this did not help at all.

For anyone who has given American politics even a cursory level of attention at any point in the past 50 years, the Republican Party is a far right party.
duh, I know that. I'm not Republican. Two guys in this thread are jumped the gun calling me a Republican LOL

Republicans thrive on division.

The use of violence fuels them not stifle them. It's a vicious circle.

I have predicted an easy Hillary Clinton win. But that could soon change if violent protests become frequent.

as a Centrist who understands the mind set of both people on the Left and people on the Right: Disorder pushes people in the Middle to the Right.

I will never vote for Conservative ever in my life by the way

zethren

Banned
I support the protest of Trump and his idiocy.

I do not support violent protest or riots. Keep it civil, be the bigger group. Fuck Trump, but don't break public or private property.

duh, I know that. I'm not Republican. Two guys in this thread are jumped the gun calling me a Republican LOL

Republicans thrive on division.

The use of violence fuels them not stifle them. It's a vicious circle.

I have predicted an easy Hillary Clinton win. But that could soon change if violent protests become frequent.

as a Centrist who understands the mind set of both people on the Left and people on the Right: Disorder pushes people in the Middle to the Right.

I will never vote for Conservative ever in my life by the way

So you lied then, when you said "I'm a centrist and this makes me veer right"?

While i agree there is a time and place for violence and revolution, I just dont see a Trump presidential rally being it. This is our electoral process, its how we elect our president. This type of violence undermines that process of voting, a process already set up to allow the protesters to voice their dissent for a candidate. Trump and the Republicans are going to use this big time and gain voters, this did not help at all.

Trump is already widely perceived as divisive and reckless. He gets no boost from a perceived lack of law and order. That's not even what's happening here.

This isn't the 60s. Conservatives aren't going to win on the dog whistle 'law and order' platform. If they thought that was a winner, they'd be going in much harder on it, not just passively spinning small episodes of violence at protests. Not to mention that these protests are specifically targeted at that candidate.

All of the posts suggesting that this helps Trump are lacking perspective.

Slayven

Every time this happens, people swiftly clutch their pearls and say "whats wrong with them?"

But they don't want to know the answer or even care.

This isn't a vacum, people don't wake up one morning thinking it would be cool to burn a CVS. That is a sign of lack of hope, and fear.

Folks need to stop asking questions until they want to hear and understand the answers

Interfectum

Agreed. Heard the story about the protesters on NPR this morning. They were talking about how they were throwing bottles and shit at cops. I couldn't help but think that story just netted Trump a few thousand more votes.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
For the record, yes you can, it has been done before, and to varying degrees of success. In fact studies have been done before on just how effective violent action is at achieving its goals, and it showed that it was effective at least 26% of the time - more than 1 in 4. Just because it turns your stomach does not mean we get to rewrite history. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. The level of effectiveness depends on the context.

I agree that it depends on the context and that sometimes violent protests may or may not work, but within that same article it is mentioned that nonviolent protests "achieved success 53 percent of the time," nearly double the success rate of violent protests, which makes the former all the better of an alternative.

Life isn't about binary choices, and not everyone falls into one side perfectly.

yup, on many issues, I prefer the Center-Left and Centrist options but not 100% of the time.

I am Left wing on Healthcare, Senior care, anything health, mental health, taking care of addictions and stuff. I for mandatory publicly paid for maternity leave.

I am Centrist on the Economy, Taxes, jobs, development, innovation

I am Right Wing on national security and counter-terrorism

I am anti-guns and anti-2nd amendment.

People are complex. Nobody is 100% Left wing or Right wing.

But disturb my shit with rocks or vandalism and I will be onside with the Police.

Slayven

Trump is driving more turn out on the democratic side than he is on the republican side. He is driving record Hispanic voter registration, and with more states possibly flipping that is bad for him

Ponn

Banned
Trump is already widely perceived as divisive and reckless. He gets no boost from a perceived lack of law and order. That's not even what's happening here.

This isn't the 60s. Conservatives aren't going to win on the dog whistle 'law and order' platform. If they thought that was a winner, they'd be going in much harder on it, not just passively spinning small episodes of violence at protests. Not to mention that these protests are specifically targeted at that candidate.

All of the posts suggesting that this helps Trump are lacking perspective.

Actually I think the opposite that people arguing for protesting lack perspective on the state of the republican party right now. His party was already fractured, he was already in a bad place. The Republican party is still split, its fractured and its just looking for an excuse of something to rally behind to get its shit together. If Trump turns around and uses this shit, which he is good at, he can go into that convention and use these type of events to his advantage to get his party base completely behind him, something he didn't have before.

"They are attacking our very freedoms with violence! They want to tear down the election process and make your decisions for you! They hate you!"

All of these make good soundbites to rally their base. Then you have the undecided, the voters with goldfish memories. They have never voted on platforms and always vote to the more immediate goings on with the candidates. They are not going to research or look very deep into why a candidate was being protested, they don't give a shit. If civil rights movement was even on their radar they wouldn't be on the fence in the first place. They are just going to see a candidate being violently protested and go "That ain't right" and swing them their way out of anger.

Maybe, but to me this is the right way to do it. Not blocking streets or wrecking havoc at fairs and schools, but taking the protest directly to him. Even when it turns violent there is security to deal with that

Kite

Life isn't about binary choices, and not everyone falls into one side perfectly.
lol pretty much, moderates and centrists exist. If Hillary was going against another moderate I'd have a hard time picking. I like her positions but she has lots of baggage that will interfere with getting things done. But against Trump.. lolol it's a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom