• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Black Ops 2 Wii U Reviews or Impressions?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is there frame rate chop all over the single-player or is it just the first mission?
The end of the second mission is much MUCH worse than anything in the first mission.

Frame rate is perfect in MP, and no lag either.
From what I've played the framerate is virtually flawless in MP. A completely steady 60 fps.

Is there frame rate chop all over the single-player or is it just the first mission?
first mission was the worst from what I played so far. Its all those alpha effects I think that hurt it.

Its not awful though, I mean it's north of thirty almost all the time and I know that's not how cod is supposed to feel, but I've never played one before. I was pretty surprised at how good the IQ was on the tv when doing two players using their own screens. That was offline in zombies mode.

So, frame rate is far from bad, its just also far from 60 fps a lot of the time in single player.

dark10x

first mission was the worst from what I played so far. Its all those alpha effects I think that hurt it.

Its not awful though, I mean it's north of thirty almost all the time and I know that's not how cod is supposed to feel, but I've never played one before. I was pretty surprised at how good the IQ was on the tv when doing two players using their own screens. That was offline in zombies mode.

So, frame rate is far from bad, its just also far from 60 fps a lot of the time in single player.
What did you see during the last part of the Woods rescue mission? Just before you make your way to the water side, the performance took a strange dive unlike anything I've seen before.

herod

I'm sorry: Are you honestly expecting them to get out early on a Sunday (their day off), buy Black Ops 2 for Wii U (a probably not all that impressive port of game that has been out for a week now) and then proceed to review it on the same day? Your expectations are completely unreasonable. Who honestly cares about that? You can get your impressions on plenty of other sites - and if you want reasonable technical analysis, wait for Eurogamer's DigitalFoundry to spring into action.

lol. If they're not working a special shift for a major console release then I guarantee they don't give a shit about their output and therefore neither should you.

Malvingt2

I am in the second mission.. Game is running great. I ran to one slow down tho. It was not a big slow down but it is there.

Looks good enough for me, really. :/ Didn't even notice the framerate drops in the first mission.

Someone in the other thread said the "save Woods" mission was particularly bad towards the end.

So they couldn't care less about single player then. Lazy.

I get the impression they focused on optimizing the multiplayer because they know that's what 95% of people will be playi

Soul_Pie

I'd love to hear more impressions from the Wiimote. Say if you've got it properly calibrated can it actually improve the experience, can you get better aim than the ones using the wiipad?

I'm really thinking about picking this up.

Malvingt2

I'd love to hear more impressions from the Wiimote. Say if you've got it properly calibrated can it actually improve the experience, can you get better aim than the ones using the wiipad?

I'm really thinking about picking this up.
yes no doubts. I am playing the default setting and it rocks. I need my GE 007:Wii setting to rocks more.

What did you see during the last part of the Woods rescue mission? Just before you make your way to the water side, the performance took a strange dive unlike anything I've seen before.
I'll let you know when I get there ;-) want be until this evening though. Any obvious effect that may have been causing it?

My biggest negative so far is no stereo 3d support, but I wasn't counting on that making it.

Soul_Pie

yes no doubts. I am playing the default setting and it rocks. I need my GE 007:Wii setting to rocks more.

So there are different settings for sensitivity? Having not played 007 Wii how does it compare/differ?

I'm really considering giving this a shot on the Wii. I think the wiimote would be greatly suited for this kind of action.

Vagabundo

I get the impression they focused on optimizing the multiplayer because they know that's what 95% of people will be playi

It's still lazy to ship something that is broken*. I do agree that it was more important to get multiplayer working smooth. It just shows that it is possible if there is effort.

*maybe not broken, but it defiantly sounds sub-par.

Bedlam

I would guess they achieved the better MP performance by scaling down the shadow map detail level or changing the lighting model completely, respectively (in splitscreen use). The lighting in SP doesn't seem as bad as in the MP screenshots that are floating around. We need some better comparisons.

dock

How is two players whilst online? How much of a dip is there in the graphics and framerate?

I could imagine that being one of the most fun ways to play.

dark10x

I'll let you know when I get there ;-) want be until this evening though. Any obvious effect that may have been causing it?

My biggest negative so far is no stereo 3d support, but I wasn't counting on that making it.
No, nothing. It was just a normal fire fight without any special effects in play. The framerate didn't really drop in the normal way, rather, it started lurching really badly. It was very strange. I died there and tried it again and the same result occurred. Once you complete that section it returns to normal, but it was rather shocking when it happened.

omonimo

Banned
Dark10x's comments in the other thread mention the game runs pretty poorly (30 fps in the first level). And it's missing details and has worse lighting.

wiiu

pretty disappointing

O_O
I can't believe it could be worse of the ps3 version.

Discomurf

OK...I've playing BLOPS2 on WiiU and maybe I'm crazy but the textures look sharp and the lighting (bloom specifically) looks fantastic ...minus the jaggy shadows in some areas. Colors also look deeper than on the 360/PS3. I'm only a couple of missions in but I also haven't really noticed any framerate issues yet.

Not sure what people are talking about with the first mission running bad.....game is running great for me. Looks like it's running at full 720p and nicely upscaled to 1080p.

A patch might be able to fix the shadow issue in MP though.....

I'm terrible at this game with the gamepad, just can't seem to aim properly, and with the Wii remote I have no idea how to find that sweet spot with the calibration. Looks like I'll have to get a Pro controller before I can really sink my teeth into it.

I played the first couple of campaign missions, one round of zombies, and three rounds of multiplayer. MP ran smooth as butter, there was only one moment in the second campaign mission where the game like randomly started spazzing the fuck out, but other than that I'm perfectly okay with the graphics and framerate.

Really the only negative for me so far is that Oscar worthy story. It's really boring, I couldn't care less as to what's going on. But then again I didn't beat the first one so maybe that has something to do with it. Stories in these games... lol

Malvingt2

I'm terrible at this game with the gamepad, just can't seem to aim properly, and with the Wii remote I have no idea how to find that sweet spot with the calibration. Looks like I'll have to get a Pro controller before I can really sink my teeth into it.

I played the first couple of campaign missions, one round of zombies, and three rounds of multiplayer. MP ran smooth as butter, there was only one moment in the second campaign mission where the game like randomly started spazzing the fuck out, but other than that I'm perfectly okay with the graphics and framerate.

Really the only negative for me so far is that Oscar worthy story. It's really boring, I couldn't care less as to what's going on. But then again I didn't beat the first one so maybe that has something to do with it. Stories in these games... lol
I am trying to find that as well. If anything I let you know in this thread.

I'm wondering this too. I'm seriously considering exchanging it for the 360 version... :/

Well, obviously I ended up opening it because I really couldn't think of anything else I would rather have especially considering the bad rep that most of the ports are getting.

I don't regret it though, not yet.

Dartastic

Is anyone actually having trouble finding multiplayer matches? How many people are online at any given time? Doesn't seem like much...

Also, have any media outlets touched on the game yet?

rpmurphy

Much appreciated. It seemed like it would be really fun playing it that way, but it was just so wonky and janky and all over the place for me.
Here's mine, by the way. I've gotten it to about somewhat close to how I had it in previous Wii CoD games:

AIM STYLES
Scope Aiming - Pointer (Precision feels loose)
Scope Reticle - Floating (I haven't really done much with this though to test the difference with Centered)
Lookspring - Disabled
Turret Aiming - Precision (I didn't test this since I haven't done SP)

CAMERA SPEED
Horizontal - 35
Vertical - 35
Horizontal (ADS) - 29
Vertical (ADS) - 29

SENSITIVITY
Camera Sensitivity - 35
Scope Sensitivity - 27

DEAD ZONES (note these values are shown on the GamePad control settings menu while in a game)
Width - 7
Height - 9
Width (ADS) - 10
Height (ADS) - 12

ADS REACH - 40

Is anyone actually having trouble finding multiplayer matches? How many people are online at any given time? Doesn't seem like much...

Also, have any media outlets touched on the game yet?
TDM, FFA, Domination have the most players and basically all other modes are dead. Overall active users at any time at the moment is <1000 so far I've seen, about half play TDM. If you're looking to play online in some of the more tactical modes, you might want to wait until after at least the holiday season, or just skip to the next year's release lol.

ozfunghi

Here is mission 2 where some have said it gets worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv16LTxZJkQ&feature=channel&list=UL

It looks like the first part of the level while you are flying over the boats it stutters a bit but nothing so dramatic that some are saying. I'm get skeptical about these posts........I was expecting chugs in frame rate after hearing some of these comments.

Appearantly, gaffers have noticed effects missing from Trine2 compared to the other consoles... while a developer responded here on gaf in another thread and claims the exact opposite.

boxter432

hearing from a few I have played GE Wii with that the dual analog controls offer a pretty big advantage here, as in aimbot/snap to aim/bullet curving advantage, that is all but negating their wiimote skills (as in when playing GE or the last 2 COD on Wii they were much better using the wiimote, but now its about even for them).

sounds like the sensitivity can't be adjusted as well as in the past and DA may have too many assists....thoughts?

My copy comes this week from Newegg and I am completely horrendous with dual analog, so even if there are assists, playing against people who are good with dual analog to begin with will destroy me. Wiimote in GE was the only way I could compete.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope some journalist asks why Activision didn't make this available for eShop.

rpmurphy

hearing from a few I have played GE Wii with that the dual analog controls offer a pretty big advantage here, as in aimbot/snap to aim/bullet curving advantage, that is all but negating their wiimote skills (as in when playing GE or the last 2 COD on Wii they were much better using the wiimote, but now its about even for them).

sounds like the sensitivity can't be adjusted as well as in the past and DA may have too many assists....thoughts?

My copy comes this week from Newegg and I am completely horrendous with dual analog, so even if there are assists, playing against people who are good with dual analog to begin with will destroy me. Wiimote in GE was the only way I could compete.
Sensitivity setting options are almost the same as in previous games in the series, mostly just categories rearranged and the numbers changed (again). Aim Assist option exists for both DA and pointer controls, so unless there is a lot more assistance than that with DA, I don't know.

Not sure if this was brought up yet, but I noticed that when I got into a local match with myself on hijacked, I tried testing the recoil of some guns in a wall, and noticed there weren't any bullet marks on the wall, or any other surface I tested on.

Even cod games on the Wii had bullet marks.. Not sure why the Wii U version didn't.

Here is mission 2 where some have said it gets worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv16LTxZJkQ&feature=channel&list=UL

It looks like the first part of the level while you are flying over the boats it stutters a bit but nothing so dramatic that some are saying. I'm get skeptical about these posts........I was expecting chugs in frame rate after hearing some of these comments.
It chugged for me on that mission during
the escape from the forest with all the soldiers following you.
Other than that part, I haven't recognized any slowdown in my playthrough so far

I find the online population in this game to be totally crazy, every time I play MP I only see 400-500 people online. It seems crazy for that number to be so low, hopefully as people get setup with Nintendo Network and stuff that number goes up. I really want to do league play stuff, but literally no one is playing it. I understand it's a new system, but even Black Ops on Wii had like 10k when I played it a month or so ago.

Effect

I really hope the population picks up over the next several weeks and months. I would love to play Hardpoint but no one is playing that mode. Just TDM, Domination, and some Kill Confirmed.

I think I'm not going to mess around with the the pointer controls for a while. Currently just using the preset Advance controls (selected from the Gamepad while playing). There is group of them on the gamepad when you are in a game. So far it's working better then settings I could have come up with.

I have a few people from gaf on my friends list. If anyone else is paying BO2 feel free to add me if you wish. NNID = NeoStar9.

J.W.Crazy

I justed played the first two missions in SP and everything seemed fine. There might have been a stutter once or twice in the second mission but outside of that I didn't see anything close to what some people have described. I wonder if the update has anything to do with it? I've been playing with just the gamepad for what it's worth.

The graphics in SP are surprisingly good coming from the PC version. I've been playing it maxed out at 1080p but laying back in bed with the gamepad beats that any day. It's too bad something like it doesn't exist for PC. I've only seen a little bit of MP on 360 but my brother who plays it nonstop said he thought it looked "just as good if not better". He doesn't like the gamepad though. Says the sticks feel different and he couldn't find settings he liked or get used to the button layout in the 10 minutes he played.

Is the single-player still entirely playable? If you're a fan of pointer controls would you say the ability to use the wii remote is worth the trade-off? I'm very heavily considering buying the game when the WiiU launches in Oz, it doesn't sound like it's a technical disaster, just that it's not an optimal port - do you think I'd be happy if I did purchase it with adjusted technical expectations?

J.W.Crazy

It chugged for me on that mission during
the escape from the forest with all the soldiers following you.
Other than that part, I haven't recognized any slowdown in my playthrough so far

Right before that is where it sort of stuttered for me but after that I didn't have any problems. Hopefully whatever the problem is Treyarch thinks it's worth it to patch.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Is the single-player still entirely playable? If you're a fan of pointer controls would you say the ability to use the wii remote is worth the trade-off? I'm very heavily considering buying the game when the WiiU launches in Oz, it doesn't sound like it's a technical disaster, just that it's not an optimal port - do you think I'd be happy if I did purchase it with adjusted technical expectations?
Still entirely playable. IMO

I just finished the campaign, the only framerate drops I noticed were in some of the cutscenes, not in any of the actual levels (weird, I know) and once I hit a glitch and fell through the floor. Other than that, the game ran flawlessly for me, I highly recommend it (unless you're tired of Call of Duty, because it's basically more of the same).

Note: This was only for the campaign, I haven't really tried online multiplayer or zombies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I am trying to find that as well. If anything I let you know in this thread.

Setting up the wiimote to perfection take patience. Sometimes even up to 30 minutes of tinkering.

But warning, once you do, you will never be able to play shooters with thumbsticks again.

Top Bottom