• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Black Ops 2 Wii U Reviews or Impressions?

Hero

So do Wii U owners not get the Nuketown map that the other versions got?

I just got my copy from Newegg in but I'm not sure if I want it if they're gonna dick over the Wii U version without one of the most fun maps.

Czigga

Someone was saying that the built in mic on the wii U gamepad actually works if you plug a pair of headphones in. Anyone checked this to be sure?

Yeah the same guy disproved his own theory when he realized his cheap ear plugs had a mic on them, unbeknownst to him initially.

One of the cooler things I discovered was when I was messing around with the Gamepad last night is an interesting feature where you can use the Wii remote and play directly on the Gamepad (without a TV). Has anyone else tried this?

Wii Fit U is going to bring the casuals back based on stuff like this.

Hoodbury

I just got my copy from Newegg in but I'm not sure if I want it if they're gonna dick over the Wii U version without one of the most fun maps.

You got yours already? My tracking says they don't expect my copy to arrive until next Monday. WTH?

guek

Banned
The game is pretty awesome but server population is dreadfully low. Good luck playing anything other than core team deathmatch :-(

I hope the EU launch helps mitigate the issue. I don't really care about being on the most "competitive" platform (in fact, I like that fewer super serious players are on Wii U), but I want to be able to play all the multiplayer gametypes at any time of the day :-(

I hopped on at 3am last night and there were 85 people online!! Still found a match though for TD :p

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Yeah the same guy disproved his own theory when he realized his cheap ear plugs had a mic on them, unbeknownst to him initially.

Got ya, kinda figured that's what it was. I have a pair of earbuds that have a mic on them I think. Now if my copy would just arrive haha.

The game is pretty awesome but server population is dreadfully low. Good luck playing anything other than core team deathmatch :-(

I hope the EU launch helps mitigate the issue. I don't really care about being on the most "competitive" platform (in fact, I like that fewer super serious players are on Wii U), but I want to be able to play all the multiplayer gametypes at any time of the day :-(

I hopped on at 3am last night and there were 85 people online!! Still found a match though for TD :p

I'm about ready to trade in my 360 copy but I wish there were a few more people online. I guess EU is the proving ground. Hopefully they want to play other gametyps than team deathmatch.

J.W.Crazy

I think the game is a really solid port, hats off to Treyarch once again... I too don't know what others are complaining about. Graphics and framerate look great to me - the only issue I've noticed is the jaggy shadows, but just as others have mentioned that might be possible to fix with a patch.

One of the cooler things I discovered was when I was messing around with the Gamepad last night is an interesting feature where you can use the Wii remote and play directly on the Gamepad (without a TV). Has anyone else tried this?

Yeah, I was playing on the gamepad screen without realizing it for a few minutes. I had it sitting underneath my monitor but couldn't figure out how to get it back to the overhead map (hold + and -) so I just left it there doubling the main screen. I couldn't figure out why my pointer wasn't working right then I checked the gamepad sensor bars with a camera and sure enough the gampad one was on but not the one on the monitor.

It worked well enough but I can't imagine playing like that for an extended amount of time.

Ramblin

Banned
Because the feature to play on the gamepad is actually useful for me. No reason to keep two versions of the same game around.

Really any self-respecting gaffer should have 2 copies for each system, so as not to be accused of fanboyerism, and the second copy should remain sealed for your collection.

So wait, what was the final consensus graphically?

I heard about the issues in single player, but some were saying things are perfect in multiplayer and the IQ is better compared to the 360 overall as well. Is it true 720p for the Wii U or are there any other improvements?

So how do you create a party as opposed to just inviting someone to your game? I've noticed from joining other invites, that people on my friends list's names appear in blue and are easy to find. I imagine this is when I'm part of a party. Other times, their names will be green like normal, and it looks like I just joined their server. Excuse my lack of knowledge; haven't played COD multi since Modern Warfare 2.

Omzz

Can you add people to your party? I've been trying to figure that out. I would assume you can since you can pull up your friends list. But yeah doesn't seem like it

Edit: ok so they have to be online on cod at the same time for invite. Still used to xbox lol

this is my first time trying pointer controls for an fps game...I like it? Im surprised to find myself digging it, even tho im just using single player for a test run. I dont know if ill always use it tho, the gamepad is just too awesome imo. I love firing up the game on it while running through my dvr.

Still tweaking settings tho. Whats a good dead zone setting? I have them set very thin horizontally, is that what wii vets tend to do? just curious.

Anyway, add me if you want. especially if youre into zombies like me lol

my nnid is: sketchsanchez

edit:
do you buys think there should be a seperate community thread for wii u blops players? since there are so few of us atm, i can imagine the snarky comments from gaffers on the hd twins should we DARE set foot in the regular thread.

Effect

Ugh. Everyone running around with SMGs is really annoying. It's really pointless it seems to use anything else (I like running AR and only occasionally using SMGs), especially since hip firing with the pointer isn't much of a problem. That and lightweight seems to be what nearly everyone is using. My playstyle is usually me rushing from cover to cover or to a door. Taking my time down a hall in case someone jumps out. However no matter what I do there is always some guy running in a full sprint and I'm dead it seems before I can reaction. I've given up trying to aim down sights as well. Used to be doable for me in BO1 and MW3 but forget here. Wonder if lag is at play as well.

Ugh. Everyone running around with SMGs is really annoying. It's really pointless it seems to use anything else (I like running AR and only occasionally using SMGs), especially since hip firing with the pointer isn't much of a problem. That and lightweight seems to be what nearly everyone is using. My playstyle is usually me rushing from cover to cover or to a door. Taking my time down a hall in case someone jumps out. However no matter what I do there is always some guy running in a full sprint and I'm dead it seems before I can reaction. I've given up trying to aim down sights as well. Used to be doable for me in BO1 and MW3 but forget here. Wonder if lag is at play as well.

I've been having good fortune with the MTAR. High fire rate gives it a chance against all the SMG run 'n' gunners, but it handles like an AR and has decent range.

Although for AR play, you really need to unlock Bouncing Betties. You can secure a location. Make sure your back is safe while looking around. Then move on.

I think the game is a really solid port, hats off to Treyarch once again... I too don't know what others are complaining about. Graphics and framerate look great to me - the only issue I've noticed is the jaggy shadows, but just as others have mentioned that might be possible to fix with a patch.

Yes, I've recently tried this as well, via local with bots. It's alright if you hold it up on a table and sit down on a chair (laying down is just awful). You wont' have to aim your wiimote as low, towards the sensor bar on both sides of the camera.

I prefer larger screen.

Yeah, interesting indeed. As far as I know this is the first Wii U game that uses this feature.

EDIT: someone made a video of this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLRdP9oOfw
Its the Kid Icarus music that gets me.

This game is a thing now and am round to be a part of that thing

How good is the pad as a sensor bar for the main screen, anyone tried that?

Also wonder if its possible to play with a Wii mote on this in NSMBU with a similar set up.

Things should pick up over the next 3 weeks with the EU release of the WiiU
i know many of my 360 BO2 freinds are getting this for Wii U simply to try it out with the Wii controls

Effect

I've been having good fortune with the MTAR. High fire rate gives it a chance against all the SMG run 'n' gunners, but it handles like an AR and has decent range.

Although for AR play, you really need to unlock Bouncing Betties. You can secure a location. Make sure your back is safe while looking around. Then move on.

Figured I might have to play that way. Been messing with my settings as well and hoping I've gotten something that works. Starting with the Professional preset and altering from there. Been using the MTAR as well for the most part when I do use an AR.

Question to those who have been playing online and have played other versions (360/PS3):

Is it just me or is the audio quality for voice communication worse in the Wii U version? I can hardly make out what people are saying to me. Game audio sounds wonderful, I just don't know if it's my headset or what. Or is this a known thing that they used a crap codec?

Hobby

Played the campaign a bit tonight and the framerate definitely dips a fair bit during certain parts. Online seems fine, outside of the shadows. Getting used to the gamepad quicker than I expected. I might switch over to the Wii Remote at some point, though. Also, the IQ for this on the gamepad is great.

One thing I really dislike is the inability to call up the home menu while online. I hope that'll change at some point.

Played the campaign a bit tonight and the framerate definitely dips a fair bit during certain parts. Online seems fine, outside of the shadows. Getting used to the gamepad quicker than I expected. I might switch over to the Wii Remote at some point, though. Also, the IQ for this on the gamepad is great.

One thing I really dislike is the inability to call up the home menu while online. I hope that'll change at some point.

I doubt that would happen since it would pause the game at the current point, which is a big no no for online multiplayer which is active.

Malvingt2

Update for Sony version of latest Call of Duty aimed at fixing lockup/freezing issues, though some still reporting headaches.

Update for Sony version of latest Call of Duty aimed at fixing lockup/freezing issues, though some still reporting headaches.

Activision has released a new patch for the PlayStation 3 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops II, but it does not appear to have fixed what it set out to. Activision wrote in its support forums that it has launched an update aimed at fixing lockup/freezing issues, but also notes that some gamers are still experiencing the issues.

"We are doing everything we can to get to the bottom of it as quickly as possible," the statement reads. No specific timetable was provided concerning when the new fix will be ready.

Separately, Activision also addressed issues Wii U users are reporting. The company told gamers who are experiencing lockups to make sure they have the most recent version of the game. To do this, Activision said players should make sure they have installed all patches and title updates before jumping in. These updates provide improvements to security and fixes for exploits and crashes and do not affect saved games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/black-ops-ii-patch-hits-ps3-6400322

Berg

Question to those who have been playing online and have played other versions (360/PS3):

Is it just me or is the audio quality for voice communication worse in the Wii U version? I can hardly make out what people are saying to me. Game audio sounds wonderful, I just don't know if it's my headset or what. Or is this a known thing that they used a crap codec?

I think mic sensitivity is maxed out. Is there a setting for that on the other consoles? I'm guessing most people are using earbuds with a mic built in (cell phone earbuds) and they're picking up everything.

Use the FAL when it unlocks. Select Fire + Target Finder = no more problems with SMG users

AzaK

Give me 8 days, I'll be there!

Nester

Should be getting this by Monday, and then I'll be hopping online to play multiplayer as much as I can.

Add me! NNID: SpeedRazor

Yeah. Just 700 at peek seems insanely low. Even for launch. Hope this gets up into around 100,000 when all is said and done (Christmas + EU launch), but I don't think that will happen.

this is my first time trying pointer controls for an fps game...I like it? Im surprised to find myself digging it, even tho im just using single player for a test run. I dont know if ill always use it tho, the gamepad is just too awesome imo. I love firing up the game on it while running through my dvr.

Still tweaking settings tho. Whats a good dead zone setting? I have them set very thin horizontally, is that what wii vets tend to do? just curious.

Anyway, add me if you want. especially if youre into zombies like me lol

my nnid is: sketchsanchez

edit:
do you buys think there should be a seperate community thread for wii u blops players? since there are so few of us atm, i can imagine the snarky comments from gaffers on the hd twins should we DARE set foot in the regular thread.

The interesting part about pointer controls is that there are no unified PRO settings that would be true for everyone.

A small inner dead zone is allways preferable though. I allways set mine to the second lowest possible size both horizontal and vertical.

For the ADS I do the same. Many players use a higher vertical deadzone there, but I feel it awkward to have different turning points for vertical than for horizontal. It provides stability, but you lose responsiveness.

ADS reach determines how far your gun will move around the screen when in ADS. If set to zero, the gun stays centered, but you'll be no longer aiming but dragging the gun with IR which is slower and less precise.

Now when it comes to turning speed, set the outer dead zones to about 80% of the screen both vert. and horiz. That way you have a decent screen estate to accelerate to reach the highest turn speed. Regarding turning itself, start with very low values and work upwards until you find a setting that works for you.

clemenx

Banned
I hope this can reach 8-10k players at least. Which was the average I saw in MW3 Wii when I played a couple of months ago. For comparison, Black Ops Wii was always around 40k players.

I think mic sensitivity is maxed out. Is there a setting for that on the other consoles? I'm guessing most people are using earbuds with a mic built in (cell phone earbuds) and they're picking up everything.

Even ones with the N11 from Turtle Beach sound muffled though. :/

Kevtones

I'm not at home right now but thanks to those that have added me!

Would love to add more of you, NNID: Kevtones.

GamePad play is dangerous for those with 9-5 jobs...

Gotcha. Glad it's getting patched in.

When is the patch? I was playing last night doing ok kill wise but realized I could not shoot people far away. I then saw that when I aimed with the wiiremote far away or even at all that if I tried aiming in a circular motion it would be in a jitter rectangular motion. If they patch it like the Wii versions it would be perfect but right now i'm going to wait till the patch

Czigga

Just a heads up that I haven't even unwrapped my copy yet (got it at launch) been busy w/ other games but I've put this on the shelf as I imagine this will be my go-to game for a long time once I start in on it. So wanted to play through other games first before it pulls me in. Also Thanksgiving family matters upcoming, etc. Hopefully more are like me. Would love to see it develop a viable 3rd option community.

Top Bottom