• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Black Ops 2 Wii U Reviews or Impressions?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Trying to find out, Wii Remote or Controller?

In ZombiU mutliplayer I find Controller unplayable compared to "Headshot - Headshot - Headshot" with the pointer, and wondering how CoD is holding up (My first Call of Duty that I've owned! Holy crap launch hype...)

Will Wiimote's accuracy matter or is a gamepad the way to go?

deleted

When you play online with 2 players, can the second player log into his BO2/Activision ID and play with his 360/PS3 stats? Is it possible to create his own profile or does he have to log into a guest profile that most likely doesn't save anything?

Dartastic

Just tried multiplayer. Game ran flawlessly. Yeah, there aren't many people on now but I joined a game within seconds. That's what matters.

Just saw this thread.

I'm 35 levels into multiplayer. Really enjoying the game. The game runs really smoothly on Wii U. The framerate is solid, and the graphics are what you'd expect from the other consoles. There's occasional lag, as there is on any online CoD game, but nothing Wii U specific.

I use the Wiimote aiming, as it's my preferred control scheme, and I really like having the GamePad on a stand on my coffee table showing the entire map. You can also use the Pro Controller and GamePad. The Pad lets you change all your loadouts on the screen if you want.

I haven't even looked into Theater (no idea how), but I think Wii U has that. There's no Nuketown, but personally, I'd trade Wiimote aiming for an extra map any day.

As for the game, the maps are a HUGE improvement over MW3. I couldn't stand MW3, but I loved Blops 1. Guns feel good. Hipfire is a bit overpowered at the moment, and everyone is UAV crazy since Ghost is nerfed and a Level 55 unlock.

There's some issues with hit detection (present on other consoles), but if you've played CoD, you know what to expect. There's some spawn issues as well, again same as other consoles, but I think they'll do their best to patch it.

Overall, if you liked Blops 1, as I did, I'd recommend this. The Wii U version seems to be a great port.

Addendum: And if anyone wants me too, I'll go write down my Wiimote control settings and post them here. Just let me know if you want to see how others are setting up their controls.

Playing now. Game looks and runs great. I don't know what other people are talking about.

I agree with this 100%. I was really scared off from buying this but decided to do so anyways as I wanted to try a shooter on the pad, the photos posted of the jaggie shadows and slow frame rates are simply inaccurate.

Great pickup.

Mikey Jr.

Just a general question. What is the most amount of people you have seen playing the mp? On ps3, i think i saw 700k. Just wondering how much for wiiu.

Donnie

Can anyone tell me if this game displays separate scenes on the TV and controller at any point during the single player game?

ThaGuy

Can anyone tell me how the chat works. Ive heard almost any headset or headphones work, but my headphones don't enable the chat on the gamepad.

Any ideas or headsets you guys use will be welcomed.

Dark10x's comments in the other thread mention the game runs pretty poorly (30 fps in the first level). And it's missing details and has worse lighting.

wiiu
6538a2023de787055862f51204e4e2ad47684061.JPG

92de28d852c5c42cebc35e7cdcd5bdc278096475.jpg

pretty disappointing

I picked up the Wii U version last night after picking up the 360 version and I have to say I find that Wii U version pic a little misleading. First of all, the shot at the top looks far more sparse because the pillows have been shot away. They're interactive elements in the environment and can be moved. I tested it myself in a multiplayer match. It gives the impression of there being "less" detail in the Wii U screenshot even though both have equal amounts of content.

The Wii U shot shows shadows in the game at their worst. They definitely aren't as good as they are on the 360 (the 360 isn't that great mind you) but I went into that same area and moved around and found that the shadows were noticeably better at the right angles.

Also, there seems to be a design in the lower right hand corner on the Wii U shot that is missing from the 360 shot. I didn't look for that particular in either game last night.

Honestly, both screenshots here are hit or miss but I do think the Wii U shot is misleading due to the lack of pillows giving it a "less" detailed look overall.

The real issue right now is getting that player count up. I also wish I could adjust button usage slightly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing now. Game looks and runs great. I don't know what other people are talking about.
The issue is simple; the framerate is NOT stable in single player. It drops below 60 fps almost constantly with only empty areas delivering a consistent framerate. Now, most of the time it hovers around the 50 fps mark, I'd say, but there are some instances where it drops much lower. Does it ruin the game? No, but it does detract from the presentation.

The main point is that it runs slower on WiiU than any other platform. That doesn't mean it has crippling slowdown or anything, but it does mean that there are better options out there. Even the PS3 version seems to run smoother.

I don't think it's fair to people to claim that the framerate is fine as it is not. If you aren't bothered by it, that's great, but pretending it doesn't have issues is misleading. Most people will know before purchasing whether they are sensitive to framerate issues so it's good knowledge to have when going in. I bought the game on a whim without knowing one way or another but now I wish I had gone with the PC version.

I picked up the Wii U version last night after picking up the 360 version and I have to say I find that Wii U version pic a little misleading. First of all, the shot at the top looks far more sparse because the pillows have been shot away. They're interactive elements in the environment and can be moved. I tested it myself in a multiplayer match. It gives the impression of there being "less" detail in the Wii U screenshot even though both have equal amounts of content.

The Wii U shot shows shadows in the game at their worst. They definitely aren't as good as they are on the 360 (the 360 isn't that great mind you) but I went into that same area and moved around and found that the shadows were noticeably better at the right angles.

Also, there seems to be a design in the lower right hand corner on the Wii U shot that is missing from the 360 shot. I didn't look for that particular in either game last night.

Honestly, both screenshots here are hit or miss but I do think the Wii U shot is misleading due to the lack of pillows giving it a "less" detailed look overall.

The real issue right now is getting that player count up. I also wish I could adjust button usage slightly.
I've addressed this before.

I took that first shot after loading it up for the very first time. No combat had taken place in that area so the pillows had not been moved. They simply were not present in that situation. When I loaded it up again, however, they did appear. Seems like a bug.

Regarding the shadows, however, I've touched on the proximity issue. From more distances the shadows appear as you see in that shot. As you walk closer to the shadows, however, they swap in a higher resolution shadow map. This only occurs at very close distances, however, so the overall impression you are left with is a feeling of low resolution shadows.

So, yeah, that first shot was a very quick comparison that I snapped upon loading it up for the first time.

Multiplayer plays very well on the WiiU. It's really just the campaign that suffers from performance dips.

Malvingt2

Much appreciated. It seemed like it would be really fun playing it that way, but it was just so wonky and janky and all over the place for me.

Im giving you all my control settings

Button Layout: Alpha

Aim Styles: Scope - Precision
Scope Reticle - Floating
Lookspring - Enabled
Turret Aiming - Control Stick

Camera Speed: Horizontal - 30
Vertical - 30
H ADS - 15
V ADS - 15

Sensitivity: Camera - 10
Scope - 10

Deadzones: All to lowest

ADS reach - 20

One of the vet in gfaqs shared his setting. Kind it fast too.. I used it, I didn;t get used to it. I am going to make some changes when I get home.

Malvingt2

Here are some technical issues some of my friends at gamefaqs, as well as this board have reported, that we strongly believe should be addressed:

1. No wii cursor sensitivity option: This feature was available in Cod wii games, but is not present in this game for unknown reasons reason.
Several CoD wii veterans, including me, have noticed a feeling of sluggishness and lack of overal smoothiness, without cursor sensitivity settings that we have not experienced in the cod wii games, and feel that it impacts our gameplay negatively. Without this feature, it is much harder to get the controls right to match settings from previous cod games, and even when we tweak it, it just does not feel the same.

2. Controlling dragon fire score streak is difficult: Out of all the kill streaks, me and a few friends have noticed that the dragonfire is one of the hardest to control, if not the hardest. It feels sllow, and sluggish. Does not feel like a regular turrent at all.

A) Well, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have the CURSOR SENSITIVITY SETTING back!
It really is an ESSENTIAL Setting! Despite the game's visual perfection, it will always be lacking overall so long as this issue is not fixed. There
even used to be a CURSOR SPEED Setting too but we won't even get into that right now.

B) It would be nice if they scaled back on the classic/pro/gamepad controller aim assist a little bit. I can't believe how easy it is to use.

C) Also, Sniping/No Scoping is WAAAYYYY too easy in this game when using the classic/pro and gamepad controller. But with the Wiimote it's god
awful hard. This is likely due to the overcompensated aim assist. So that definitely needs to be addressed.

D) And finally when calling in a Lightning Strike for example, it would be nice for Wiimote users to be able to pick the spots on the map thru pointing with
the Wiimote and not the Nunchuck Analog Stick. That's just the way it's always been when using the Wiimote.

***But Again, and I'm only repeating this because it truly is that important; We need the CURSOR SENSITIVITY SETTING back !!

So PLEASE, somebody, anybody from Dev please ackowledge these issues and let us know that they're at least being looked into.

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413581902#413581902

Now I know why I am doing so bad. :(

rpmurphy

One of the vet in gfaqs shared his setting. Kind it fast too.. I used it, I didn;t get used to it. I am going to make some changes when I get home.
Definitely a pro setting. I'd recommend setting scope to pointer and increasing the size of the dead zones if you don't have a steady hand.

Berg

Loving this game!!
From playing the last 4 COD's on wii...to this, I'm in awe.
I like to snipe and my only qualm is that you can climb, and pick up weapons while scoped in. For the longest time I was picking up the weapon i was standing on, while trying to hold my breath. Finally found the "pick up item" customization.
Now i just need to find the "climb" button customization. I've been trying to stay back from any object while sniping.

I hope so because they are alienating the Wiimote userbase and and giving the others an unfair advantage.. :(

Sniping should allready by far superior now that they introduced the floating scope option. Still with the ridiculous aim assist and snap to aim for controller users it might need some rebalancing.

Hopefully it's done before the european launch.

Otherwise, how does this play with the Pro controller? It sounds like trying to go for the Wiimote calibration is pointless (lol) right now.

Malvingt2

Sniping should allready by far superior now that they introduced the floating scope option. Still with the ridiculous aim assist and snap to aim for controller users it might need some rebalancing.

Hopefully it's done before the european launch.

Thank you for starting this thread, Arcanine. I've seen you a lot over on the GameFAQs forums as well.

We WILL be adding back the cursor sensitivity setting in our next update. I do not have any information on a date for that update as it is dependent on timing with Nintendo and our own ability to test the updates.

As for everything else on the list, we will review each issue and see what can be done. This is a good thread for us to find the issues on, so feel free to keep posting here. We comb the forums constantly to see how you guys are doing out there.

I will probably also start a sticky post after the Thanksgiving holiday that answers some frequently asked questions and confirms issues we are working on for future updates.

Thanks for playing!

A_Trey_U

Yes!!!!

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413586009#413586009

Setting up the wiimote to perfection take patience. Sometimes even up to 30 minutes of tinkering.

But warning, once you do, you will never be able to play shooters with thumbsticks again.

I'm having trouble with that. And this is a cod wii vet who has played with wiimote in WaW, COD4, BO, and MW3. Lack of cursor sensitivity settings really screws things up for me. Just doesn't feel the same.

Oh sweet.. A Treyarch dev reported back. I'm Arcanine btw.

And this just made my day. ;_;

Guys if you notice any glitches in campaign, single player, or multiplayer, please feel free to report it in that link!

Reallink

Setting up the wiimote to perfection take patience. Sometimes even up to 30 minutes of tinkering.

But warning, once you do, you will never be able to play shooters with thumbsticks again.

Is there any option to completely remove the "smoothing" lag when aiming down the sights? Seems impossible to get rid of all the hesitance.

BlankaBR

Banned
Otherwise, how does this play with the Pro controller? It sounds like trying to go for the Wiimote calibration is pointless (lol) right now.
I am using the pro controller and its fine
My only complaint is the position of the buttons and the right stick, u have to get used to reach for the buttons

Malvingt2

I'm having trouble with that. And this is a cod wii vet who has played with wiimote in WaW, COD4, BO, and MW3. Lack of cursor sensitivity settings really screws things up for me. Just doesn't feel the same.

Oh sweet.. A Treyarch dev reported back. I'm Arcanine btw.

And this just made my day. ;_;

Guys if you notice any glitches in campaign, single player, or multiplayer, please feel free to report it in that link!

great job Arcanine. I am also on gfaqs with the same user name as here.

I'm really hoping we get a PDP headbanger headset compatibility for the Wii U. It's only supported 3 games on the Wii(conduit 2, Cod:BO, and MW3 Wii, and has good quality and price.

It was the only headset that was compatible for those games, and surprisingly for such a small community, you'd always see several people using it, in a game lobby.

I've grown to love this headset, don't want this legacy cut short, and I sure as hell don't want to spend money on another mic, when mine works perfectly fine. If it was compatible, we'd see a whole lot more voice chat users, as I am willing to bet that a good amount of people who bought COD BO Wii u, are CoD/Conduit 2 Wii vets.

I'm hoping USB headsets get patched someday.

Berg

Has anyone noticed the extreme sensitivity with their headphone/mic combo? I have to turn my TV volume extremely low so the mic doesn't pick up my gun shots. I've noticed a lot of people with mics that are always giving feedback.

I'm really hoping we get a PDP headbanger headset compatibility for the Wii U. It's only supported 3 games on the Wii(conduit 2, Cod:BO, and MW3 Wii, and has good quality and price.

It was the only headset that was compatible for those games, and surprisingly for such a small community, you'd always see several people using it, in a game lobby.

I've grown to love this headset, don't want this legacy cut short, and I sure as hell don't want to spend money on another mic, when mine works perfectly fine. If it was compatible, we'd see a whole lot more voice chat users, as I am willing to bet that a good amount of people who bought COD BO Wii u, are CoD/Conduit 2 Wii vets.

I'm hoping USB headsets get patched someday.

Agreed.

Also, can you explain to me in dumbed down terms what the Cursor Sensitivity does? I remember playing around with it in Blops, but forgot what it does.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Someone was saying that the built in mic on the wii U gamepad actually works if you plug a pair of headphones in. Anyone checked this to be sure?

rpmurphy

Agreed.

Also, can you explain to me in dumbed down terms what the Cursor Sensitivity does? I remember playing around with it in Blops, but forgot what it does.
It has to do with pointer movement. As far as I recall, if you set it too high, then the pointer will become jittery and jump all over the place with minute movements.

Discomurf

I think the game is a really solid port, hats off to Treyarch once again... I too don't know what others are complaining about. Graphics and framerate look great to me - the only issue I've noticed is the jaggy shadows, but just as others have mentioned that might be possible to fix with a patch.

One of the cooler things I discovered was when I was messing around with the Gamepad last night is an interesting feature where you can use the Wii remote and play directly on the Gamepad (without a TV). Has anyone else tried this?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
One of the cooler things I discovered was when I was messing around with the Gamepad last night is an interesting feature where you can use the Wii remote and play directly on the Gamepad (without a TV). Has anyone else tried this?
That means an asymmetric game could leverage a set up with wimotes for all players. Interesting.

Top Bottom